Archinect
anchor

Arup Associates / Chipperfield / Grimshaw...

snap

I'm a recently graduated italian architect (1 year experience) and I'm thinking about to move to London.

I've got a couples of questions:

- anyone is working/worked for Arup Associates, David Chipperfield, Nicholas Grimshaw or Foster and partners and want to share his/her experience?

- is it easy for a young architect to find a job in one of those firms?

- I know only the "big names", any advise for other firms?

Thanks for your help.

Oct 4, 06 2:18 pm

easy it will not be - but just apply.

Oct 5, 06 4:51 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

look on the riba website they have jobs posted there...

Oct 5, 06 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
the cellardoor whore

also go through the riba members listings in london (where else- a simple search on riba website). most have links to their firm's website. quick glimpse, u like, put on list, pursue. it is pleasantly surprising to see, but not shocking given uk's (london's, more specifically) dynamic market compared to other countries in europe and elsewhere, how many medium to smaller sized firms doing interesting work there are.

Oct 5, 06 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
snap

thank you very much for your answers...i'm going to look at riba website.

My portfolio is ready....I would like to send it mostly by e-mail...hope to get some answers.

Oct 6, 06 4:05 am  · 
 · 
rckaflla88

send them by mail, its much more personable and can address issues of craft, innovativeness etc depending in what format you're sending your work/cv/etc

Feb 3, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 

i would reccomend using snail mail. i got zero response from any office in london that i tried applying to through e-mail (2001). things may be different now of course, but it seems to be the custom.

when i was looking for work i only sent cvs and cover letters, no portfolio. i didn't use riba, just write to 30 places i really liked (in london not so hard to do), got 5 interviews and took one of the offers within about 2-3 weeks after mailing letters out.

one of my classmates worked for grimshaw. he liked it as far as i can tell, but moved to smaller office to do dif scale of work and cuz he wanted to grow with young office. think the pay was about same for both...low. low 20's i believe. hopefully is better now...but doubt it.

Feb 3, 07 5:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: