Archinect
anchor

Home Office/Studio?

Rim Joist

I'm building a home office/studio, and will eventually work from home probably two days a week, as my projects will allow. (My boss is -- I think -- quite understanding and flexible allow this. My commute is a big one, and this will help minimize driving time during any given week).

Two questions:

1. Does anyone else "telecommute"? Any advice -- pros, cons, challenges, etc?

2. Also, has anyone designed and built their own home office/studio? Maybe this has been addressed previously. If not, anyone care to post some images? (I am building mine into an existing outbuilding/garage, and am getting happily carried away with it.)

Oct 3, 06 4:56 pm
archie

I currently have two employees who telecommute full time. They are both over 500 miles away, so what a commute! Your experience should be better since you will be in the office some of the time. One of the relationships has worked out really well for over 5 years. The other one has only been about 3 months, and is pretty rocky. Some advice from the employer side;
- communicate! The 'good' employee sends me an email update every morning on what he did the day before, and where all his proejcts are.
- keep good files. Our remote employees are hooked up to our server, and keep all their work there. Paper copies are sent scanned to our office and put on the server. Emails they have relating to the jobs are filed under th project file. Nothing worse than looking in the file for something and not finding it because the employee has it at home.
- set up the phone system so the client does not realize you are not there. Our receptionist can send a call directly to the remote employee. The 'bad' employee had his phone answering with a message that was his own side business, not the company name, which was confusing.
- Don't cheat the employer. It is easy to take a long lunch, do the laundry, etc when you are home. Make sure you only charge your employer for the hours you are doing good work. If anything, work a bit more than you charge them for.

as far as the physical office, make sure your local allows you to have a studio in an outbuilding if you have not already. Many areas around here won't let you have a studio if it has any plumbing in an out building- they are afraid you will rent it as an apartment.

Good luck!

Oct 3, 06 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I used to have my office in the garage, but the fuzzy slippers got too dirty and the kids kept interupting me in the middle of phone conversations. then I moved into and out building we had and that was nice as I was home but had to go out side to get to the office space and could leave it Friday afternoon and come back Monday. Out grew that and built and office about a ten minute drive which is totally an easy bike ride to and from but Now I am selling the office space and building a new home with a fully functional office for six in my house. I actually the like the idea of being in the home and don't plan to grow too large as a firm and feel that I am at a comfortable size to be able to handle the project types we prefer to go after. The biggest issue is that I still force myself to have to leave the house to get to work, a strong separation is important and an ability to still make work a 8 to 5 ( or whatever ) otherwise work and home life tends to bleed together which I think is problematic for family life.

Oct 3, 06 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
e

rim joist, i work out of my home for myself and love it. have been doing so for the last 5 years. i am also in the process of designing a larger space in my unfinished basement as my studio. i hope to start construction some time next year as i am trying to fund the construction without any loans.

the most critical thing, in my mind, about working from home is focus and consistency. this is especially true if you do it every day like me. you have tons of possible distractions reaching out at you. a lot of my friends don't understand how i can do it. i'm up every day at the same time and try to keep my hours as consistent as possible. this means the same as if you were in a normal office, especially in your situation. i assume you need to collaborate with others in your office. i show up in my office around 8am, try to break for lunch [not always successful, and at the end of the day, leave my work behind. this last point is critical to your sanity since your work is so much closer. draw the line.

lack of interaction with others is a plus and a minus. you are much more efficient than if you were in an office [no banter, interruptions, or meetings to break you from your work], but you are left wanting the banter and interaction with others [hence archinect].

good luck.

Oct 3, 06 5:26 pm  · 
 · 

I don't do this, but one person I work with does - make sure, like archie mentioned, that you get connected up to the office server. The person I work with doesn't do this- she comes in once a week to talk with people and spends a few hours in the office. Then we email files back and forth with her, and every now and then it happens that someone doesn't know that she's got a file at home, works on that file, and then when she sends it back to get replaced, that person's work goes *poof* into oblivion. Mostly though, it's just really annoying that we aren't allowed to change the files she has at home, no matter how important it is. So definitely, definitely hook up to your office's server.

Oct 3, 06 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

logmein.com

it's a blessing....

Oct 3, 06 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
todd

from archie:

- communicate! The 'good' employee sends me an email update every morning on what he did the day before, and where all his proejcts are.

This is most likely the critcal one. I am trying to make a more conscious effort to do exactly this. Even though I don't feel it is a necesstiy, It eases the client's anxiety.

Oct 3, 06 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Rim, Dogs are cheap receptionist in the home office! Ours are always wanting to visit with the clients and contractors. It can be a pain but overall it is quite nice. I hear all of these things about hours and seperation but I toss it all to the wind, get up early work for a couple hours jump into the shower, then off to a meeting with wet hair. One thing I always tell myself is never feel guilty about taking some time during the day for yourself or for your better half. Cause you know on those grinding nights when your working and they are off reading the book you want to be reading you will be more appreciated.

Oct 3, 06 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

I definitely appreciate the lengthy and very informative posts on this -- the above is a good primer to getting started, and it sounds like those of you that posted are already very experienced with the concept. Thanks!

Oct 4, 06 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

We built an office in our backyard (can post photos soon as website is up in a week or so, fingers crossed) - works out so much better than actually being in the house.
Replaced an older collapsing garage with a new structure, about 280 sq ft, half is office half is storage. Unfortunately, we already need more storage (tools for the construction company), so we're building a toolshop behind the office.
Also really could use some layout space for drawings and room for model building, but two people can work reasonably well in here and with the double insulated windows/door it's very quiet!
I haven't had too much trouble working in the office now that it's separate from the house - before our baby was born I would come out in the morning at 9, break for lunch, stay until 5 or 6... but, we also often work late at night, and the computers hold all our personal stuff as well, so we haven't had much success with the 'leave work at the office' idea.
I would recommend getting a seprate phone line for work if you can afford it - we still have one and now are at a point where we're trying to guess whether or not a client is calling evenings/weekends and when to not answer the phone. For faxes, efax is great.

Oct 4, 06 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

Home office/studio is one of my career goals. Commuting is dehumanizing.

Oct 4, 06 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

My advice from 4 months prior of telecommuting - Be far enough away so they cant call you in, which forces electronic exchange on both sides. I was routinly summoned to the bosses office at 3:30 or 4pm to drive 25 miles in Chicago rush hour traffic, often for 1.5 - 2 hours ea way because he decided he wanted to see me, usually about something didnt require me driving there. Then when getting there waiting an hour to talk to "the man".

However the flip side was good alone drawing time at home. But now back in an office, I think this is the most effective. Combined brain power, interns to do tasks, everything centralized, etc.

Oct 4, 06 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

As for commuting, when your commute is on an L train door to door in a wonderful city, or a cab ride along the lake or mich. ave at sunrise, comuting is not so bad.

Oct 4, 06 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

since we're giving props to commuting:

I just went from years of a 1 block commute to a 28 mile commute, and I was dreading it... but it is always a beautiful 28 miles to start the day with and at the end of the day I have a half hour to work through the last of the work thoughts and be done thinking about it.

not so bad to say the least. but I still want to design and build an office over the garage in the backyard.

Oct 5, 06 12:58 am  · 
 · 
binary

i would like to have a shop space so i can grow a bit....working out of a garage sucks..... when i have to do computer work, i usually go to one of the two coffee houses and zone out there.... i support the main coffee house and get beverages/food there since his establishment is unique.... all vegetarian food and a few vegan items..... coffee is house blends tooo.... i try to support the independant people that do good things..... so i refer to the coffee house as my "office"..... it's cheaper to hangout there then to rent an office space somewhere else......

i dont really get much done at home anyways......

b

Oct 5, 06 1:16 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I always enjoy being able to start my day by finishing my coffee in my robe while answering emails/returning phone calls etc., but you always run the risk of the UPS guy knocking on the door while you're still not dressed. So just be aware of that possibility when you embrace drafting in your pajamas.

Oct 5, 06 9:41 am  · 
 · 
tralala

Not my own space (I'm in the middle of moving right now), but a nice look at real studio spaces:

http://www.on-my-desk.blogspot.com/

a few of my favorites:

http://on-my-desk.blogspot.com/2006/08/kim-carney.html

http://on-my-desk.blogspot.com/2006/06/rick-lovell.html

http://on-my-desk.blogspot.com/2006/08/sandra-monat.html

Maybe someday I'll have one of my own...

Oct 5, 06 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

nice Home/Studio in San Diego by Puzio/Spacecraft:

link

click first one in "houses"

Oct 9, 06 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

Thanks again for the posts, all you fine people. A lot of good advice and points to consider -- and thankfully no one so far has indicated that working from home every other day or so would likely end my career!

I'm taking progress photos of my construction process, and will put together a slide show. Or maybe a "Living my life faster"-inspired You-tube video when finished.

Oct 10, 06 11:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: