Archinect
anchor

someone in need of advice

morgan2sims

Guys, this is another 'selfish' thread.

a friend of mine, who shall remain nameless, is in need of advice.
he is a fresh graduate, had a full time internship experience while in school. he got this job at a good corporate firm overseas. however, he is having second thoughts about it. he kept thinking about the great time he had in his previous internship. he digs the type of architecture the office (a small boutique office) produces (which are contemporary houses, villas, etc), the people there which he got along really well with, the bosses, the softwares, and finally the building where the office is at, which is architecturally contemporarily cool.

on the other hand, the corporate office offers a lot more money, is overseas, more prestigious, and requires him to learn a new cad software. the company handles huge projects, and he will be doing cadwork all day. he also will have to adjust to a new city, a new country, etc. the company also is processing his work visa.

he is however, belatedly, a little hesitant to leave his 'comfort zone', his home, etc. and a little wary to learn this new software. and, he also hasn't asked the boss of the boutique office for a job. so he might or might not get that job there (at the boutique office).

so, what do you guys think he should do? if you were him, what would you do?

Sep 25, 06 6:54 am

make the jump, get new experience, live the new life, get a taste of having some money (but don't get used to it).

he won't forget where this other office is when he's looking to come back. if he doesn't know he can get a job there now, the chances are probably just as good of getting one there later.

Sep 25, 06 7:06 am  · 
 · 

i totally agree with steven, - he should go! new job, new city, new software, more money - all sounds good to me.
as i have mentioned on another thread - i am a BIG fan of moving on...

Sep 25, 06 7:09 am  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

but would you agree that a smaller firm will give you a more well rounded experience?

Sep 25, 06 8:06 am  · 
 · 

yes it will, but it sounds like this is a young person. there's time for that. i guess my advice to him is to get the life experience while you're young.

Sep 25, 06 8:27 am  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

well, on behalf of him, thank you steven & p2an, you guys are so wise

Sep 25, 06 8:36 am  · 
 · 

i'm not wise, but i absolutely agree that travel and especially living in another country does wonders for a person. leaving the comfort zone is also a good thing.

and don forget when movin on new doors will open up from where you are going to, too. looking back you mell wonder what you thought the fuss was all about to begin with...

Sep 25, 06 8:51 am  · 
 · 

mell = may well. i'm eliding today.

Sep 25, 06 8:52 am  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

lol jump. so are you saying JUMP?

Sep 25, 06 9:06 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

"Leap and the net will appear"

File under trite but true.

Sep 25, 06 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

so, what's the deal with posting hypothetical issues for a 'freind'. First Beta was asking about minneapolis, now we have Morgan... it's too obvious. Just come out and say that you're trying to make a hard decision...

back to the question: there is time to have both sorts of work experience, while you're still a bright and perky young turk, before the jaded cynicism of actually getting registered wears you down. it's great to get out of your comfort zone for a bit- take a chance and go cross the ocean. the job back home may still be available in the future, you can always ask.

Sep 25, 06 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
A

Let me guess, your friend would have to learn Microstation and live in England? Betting on the software and location are more exciting than the advise.

Your question reminds me of a friend from college who was from a small town and had no intention to ever leave the place. Our professor reccomended he should go to a big city and get big city experience. Then come back home with that life experience and "run" the arch scen in the small town. He didn't do it and eventually quit architecture all together. Now there's no way to know what he could've done.

Sep 25, 06 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Lb - did you get that from the end of Indiana Jones and the holy grail?

Sep 25, 06 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
archasm

the money is so not worth it if you are unhappy.
i dont know very many happy cadmonkeys.
i just took a corporate job for more money, but i'm already planning on going back to my old firm. less money, but i was a lot happier.

Sep 25, 06 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

coming from someone who has made two large jumps before reaching age 22 (from puerto rico to baltimore, from baltimore to ann arbor)... i say go. you live only once, do as much as you can. you can always come back to whichever place made you happy.

oh and going corporate.... might prove to actually be fun. politics can be so amusing.

Sep 25, 06 9:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: