http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XM3vWJmpfo

Apr 11, 12 12:33 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

!!!

Apr 11, 12 3:03 am  · 
 · 
Tee002

Don't you want to be lifted and trendy? I'm planning to put vultures for my next projects. :P

Apr 11, 12 4:44 am  · 
 · 
fulcrum

I did put an ostrich in one of the renderings for a major presentation, because flying birds are so mainstream....

Apr 11, 12 7:05 am  · 
 · 
Tee002

I'll also add turkey because you can eat that one. Yum!

Apr 11, 12 11:57 am  · 
 · 
rationalist

Put a bird on it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0XM3vWJmpfo

Apr 11, 12 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

lets put bird poo in every rendering from now on.-

Apr 11, 12 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
Tee002

bird poo is too realistic. I don't want to see too realistic renderings where you're going to see pooping birds or bird poo.

Apr 11, 12 12:52 pm  · 
 · 

The problem isn't birds.  The problem is the sky.  If we'd stop putting the sky in every rendering then we'd have much fewer birds.

Yo.

Apr 11, 12 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
Tee002

Are we going to see dolphis jumping out of water every time we see the blue water. I should keep that one to myself. Otherwise there will be school of fish on renderings.

Apr 11, 12 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

unrelated to this interesting debate.....I once got bitten on the face by a parrot and had to get 12 stiches.  Just thought you should all know that before you glorify birds. 

Apr 11, 12 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

I like turtles.

Apr 11, 12 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

How did the parrot come out of it?  You let it win?

I washed my car Sunday.  It took all of an hour for about 4 birds to dive bomb it.  Seriously.  No more homage to birds on renderings for me.  I used to do it out of respect for what they contribute...

Apr 11, 12 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
Kobe Bryant

And stop photoshopping me into your recreational renders...I DID not volunteer to model for your ugly building.

Apr 11, 12 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

how 'bout context? can we just stop putting context in renderings? it makes them look so much more... elemental...

Apr 11, 12 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Also, architects need to stop putting so many white people in renderings.  Mix it up a bit this ain't Sweden. 

Apr 11, 12 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
Tee002

Is there a reason to have faint trees? If there is a tree, there is tree. Are we start genetically engineering translucent trees?  Hope someone stop that too.

No birds,

No Fish

No transparent Trees

Not a lot of white people 

what else?

Apr 11, 12 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

More fat people!  this is the fattest country on earth, and yet everyone in these renderings seem to be in such good shape.

Apr 11, 12 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
Tee002

Ok I'll update

Let's call Rendering 101 you won't hear from your friends, boss and professors 

1.No birds,

2.No Fish

3.No transparent Trees

4.Not a lot of white people

5.More fat people

6. No lens flare ( It is not Photoshop 101)

7. No chiaroscuro at every rendering ( people are not watching the movie 300, they are looking at your project!)

9. Stop being EA ish at every presentation images. (I know people love video game)

10. Non- informative perspective images are offensive.

Apr 11, 12 6:09 pm  · 
 · 

Fat people.  That is funny.  Definitely should be more bigs in the American renderings.

I just did image search for "fat people".  It was pretty disappointing.  Lots of grotesquely obese people and none that were even remotely beautiful enough to put in a rendering.  Where have all of the pretty fat people gone?

Yo!

Apr 11, 12 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
Kobe Bryant

"Where have all of the pretty fat people gone?"

Well, if you're looking for male eye candy in this market it's called: Football

& for female eye candy in this market: Lane Bryant/Plus Size Models? or hmmm current Pam from the Office or Adele.

Anyways I'd be interested to see how a jury of critics would react to a huge set of renderings filled with human snorlaxes....So the next time you have a fancy pool scene, drop Oprah in there or something...If you're a student please do this and share...

Apr 11, 12 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
nikon

I kind of regret making a negative thread... but what's done is done. Don't forget to add people jumping or performing ballet. Tee02, somebody beat you to the school of fish idea in the national mall competition: http://www.archdaily.com/224699/national-mall-finalists-exhibit-designs/andropogon-bohlin-cywinski-jackson/

Apr 11, 12 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
Tee002

:O Whops! hahaha there is indeed a school of fish in that rendering. Actually I kind of appreciate the fact that you started. It has been fun for the day to check this thread.

1.No birds,

2.No Fish

3.No transparent Trees

5.More fat people

7. No chiaroscuro at every rendering ( people are not watching the movie 300, they are looking at your project!)

9. Stop being EA ish at every presentation images. (I know people love video game)

11. people jumping or performing ballet.

12. Stop using that Spider sculpture for every museum.( It just become gross. A lot of people have Insectophobia.)

Apr 11, 12 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
Tee002

@Kobe Bryant

Interesting way to see people response.

Actually it is fact and average seat in theaters are bigger than it used be. Not so much in other countries in Asia. Does anyone know that seat in Europe is bigger than it was in past ?

Apr 11, 12 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
Kobe Bryant

@Tee002

Add:

- stop adding so much Gaussian Blur like the picture was baked in an oven

- No Supermodels

- Less fancy cars, especially ones that are blurred to give off the effect of overexposed car lights

- (I think this one should be a new standard) Add the Where's Waldo guy in every rendering, preferably somewhere hard to find

Apr 11, 12 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
Anxiety

Why are you people complaining about putting birds, supermodels, and overexposure in renderings? Photographs are often staged; how is staging a rendering any different?

I have to agree with the "No Transparent Trees" though.

Apr 12, 12 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

You can have my lens flare when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

Srsly. How am I supposed to hide undesigned stuff that's taller than the trees?

Apr 12, 12 5:23 pm  · 
 · 

- (I think this one should be a new standard) Add the Where's Waldo guy in every rendering, preferably somewhere hard to find

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe his name is ... Waldo.

Apr 12, 12 11:06 pm  · 
 · 

In undergrad my then-boyfirend drew lovely clouds and birds in my rendering for me.  I got third place in the Pella window competition (a hundred bucks!) with that rendering, so I'm OK with birds.  Especially the trendiest bird du jour, the chicken.  Lots of 'em.  So hip.

This is fun.  But a serious comment from me: I dislike the trend to show plans as axons.  A plan is a plan, it should be flat.  I get dizzy when it's on an axonometric angle.

Apr 13, 12 1:33 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Super models - PLEASE stop cutting/stealing photographs from fashion magazines and sticking it in your renderings!  I have been shocked for ages what a blatant copyright violation many firms are fine with.

Birds I can deal with.  Super models in some obnoxious pose, like it is supposed to make "cool" architecture "cooler", I cannot.

Apr 13, 12 8:05 am  · 
 · 
Tee002

@ Anxiety

It is true to some extent to say that "Photographs are often staged". But when you're presenting your renderings, the images should be essence of your project. Not just a bunch of random images. Staging is fine but people should know why they are staging it. A lot of people do these things because everyone is doing it. I don't think it is a appropriate way to approach it. 

@Donna

I hope you bought him dinner with that 100 dollars.

@trace

I agree with that too. I think I even saw Usher in one of the projects. hahaha What are they thinking? I'm wondering about copyright issue on taking images from magazines. If someone eventually decided to do something about it, an architecture firm will have to pay dearly. Hope I'm not going to witness that day. It is not going to be pretty ( no pun intended).

Another offenders are taking screenshot from Sketch-Up. or export image right out of Skp models. I mean " really?" That one is right on the borderline of laziness for younger generation.  

1.No birds,

2.No Fish

3.No transparent Trees

5.More fat people

7. No chiaroscuro at every rendering

9. Stop being EA ish at every presentation images.

11. people jumping or performing ballet.

12. Stop using that Spider sculpture for every museum project.

13. Add Waldo (lol)

14. Plan should be a plan.

15. Stop using cool super models from fashion magazines.

16. No exported images from crappy Sketch-Up model.

Apr 13, 12 10:14 am  · 
 · 

Can we also add to stop using really, really terrible textures as well?

If you're using a higher end rendering program, most renders look fine with adequate textured semi-glossy surfaces. If you're not going to be assed to put in a displacement layer or a bump map for tile or wood, don't make the tile super glossy.

Apr 13, 12 11:09 am  · 
 · 

^ Anything in this render.

Apr 13, 12 11:11 am  · 
 · 

Related to the point re: translucent trees.

Does anyone else find New G+ too white .... and since when did ghost(ed) icons become UI default?

But seriously why do some many renders these days have those same issues. With too many ghosted images and too much white.... Is it just a default? Or people aping others?

Apr 13, 12 11:29 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

The ant people in horribly oversized projects. The latest Zaha or whoever will have a huge, awkward, largely un-designed plaza in front of the project that's filled with people! Are they going or coming? Or just your typical worshipers of architecture? They are scattered all over the place without any indication of purpose or circulation. Like moths buzzing around a bug zapper.

Apr 13, 12 11:51 am  · 
 · 
Kobe Bryant

@Brian Henry

Funny guy if I just said Waldo it wouldn't be as effective/recognizable as the whole branded name "Where's Waldo?"

Apr 13, 12 12:44 pm  · 
 · 

@ Kobe

I get what you're saying but if you're going for effective/recognizable all you need to do is put up an image.

Apr 13, 12 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
Anxiety

@Tee002

I see, so the problem is monkey see, monkey do. I agree.

@J. James R.

That rendering actually captures what the author intended (the analogy between GSD and Alcatraz. The author feels imprisoned and depressed.) The bad texture mapping is a matter of technique.

Apr 13, 12 2:13 pm  · 
 · 

LOL, I actually did that as a tongue and cheek render of GSD relocating to an isolated island to escape the poor-and-pedestrian classes.

Apr 13, 12 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
Anxiety

^I like it, lol.

Apr 13, 12 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
Mirin

Put a bird on it

Apr 13, 12 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
Tee002

@ James

It could also represent the the debt trap prison of GSD grads. I can't think of paying back mountain of student loan. I would prefer to start a new practice at somewhere in Latin America or Southeast Asia with that amount of money. Warm climate, vibrant architecture scene, less b.s. bureaucracy & requirements, fresh food, and delightful souls to fuel the creativity.

Apr 13, 12 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I recall when back in the good old day when people who rendered dit it all by hand.  The firm I worked for in Boston had a German guy who did renderings. His had was fantastic, but unfortunately he lived with to many deamons and gave up architecture and went into antiques, and could not come to part with his antiques.  Anyhow.....he always put a dog in his renderings peeing on one of the people in the rendering.  

Apr 13, 12 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Lol, that's great stuff.  Pure creativity (and bitterness, I'd guess)!

I am starting to shoot models for our renderings, now that we have a photography studio too.  Fun photographing models, something I should have discovered 20 years ago!

Apr 14, 12 9:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: