Archinect
anchor

Office Relocation

Living in Gin

Have any of you been asked to design your own firm's new office space? That's the position I'm in now... On one level it's exciting and could be a nice portfolio piece, but on the other hand it's a political minefield... Especially in a dysfunctional firm like mine where the two partners (a husband and wife, mind you) take the exact opposite stance from each other on evey decision. And of course, anybody else who sees the drawings needs to immediately add their own $.02 the design as well. It's like being in studio and having to design your professor's new house. Lately I've been doing much of the work at home just to detach myself from the maelstrom.

So... What are your horror stories? How did things work out, and how did you cope?

Aug 28, 06 1:46 pm
postal

HAHA!!! Well, I didn't design the firms new office, but I was one with two cents at the time. Actually, it was just a new addition. But I drew it, and then I helped build the damn thing. Concrete is a bitch. The partners at this firm were also husband and wife, and thankfully the husband didn't care too much what the wife wanted it to look like, but for some reason had this power to just make sweeping decisions. It was wierd. Like the wife would bicker about certain specific things, and the husband would just listen in on the conversation, then say "Look, this is how I'm going to build the damn thing" In the end, it was simple and elegant, not too ambitious, but I think gave the right image to any client.

As for the process, you will find so much about people from how they want to design their own space. I would say that you should treat your bosses like a normal client. They'll constantly change your design and probably annoy you more so because you're so accessible, but I would keep a lot underwraps and come out and get critiqued at major stopping points. Then go back to your secret lab and tell people to stop looking over your shoulder and that it'll be great. If that doesn't work, try stabbing.

My horror stories are really only pouring the elevator pit and foundations, along with staking, pouring, and forming all the curbs. (All a lot of fun till you pass out)

Aug 28, 06 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

ha! wow, what a nightmare. no wonder you are getting burned out/down on chicago. you need a change of sceeeene.

Aug 28, 06 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

just move into carson pirie scott and be done with it.

Aug 28, 06 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

That would actually be an ideal location... Alas, we're relocating within the same building.

Aug 28, 06 2:46 pm  · 
 · 

atm, our new office building has just started construction, i worked on and off the project for the past year...and yes it was also very 'interesting'.
the way i saw it the major issue we had was that the new office acts as a such a huge representation of who you are as architects - and because of that we it incredibly hard to settle on one final scheme. so many proposals, variations, never ending options... it was amazing.
finally it got settled and agreed. and it will be really funny to actually work in a building we designed.

Aug 28, 06 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
A

Please don't tell me your office is out in the suburbs just so you could have your "own" building as an office. While your office is a representation of your work I'm ashamed at all the firms moving to the suburbs to find vacant land for their own version of a "creative" spec office building. Some good interior design or adaptive reuse can have the same effect and avoid further gutting of our core cities.

Aug 29, 06 8:43 am  · 
 · 

well, its funny you should mention that. atm the office is in the middle of amsterdam. the new office is on a new island called Ijburg. its not far, maybe 20 minutes by tram. but compared to the old office its in the 'burbs.

Aug 29, 06 8:55 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Well, I must have done something right... I did the equivalent of a Design Development presentation today, and aside from some minor tweaking of details here and there, there seems to be a general acceptance of my design among the two owners, the senior interior designers, the project managers, the admins, and the technical/design staff. Probably the first time this group has ever come to a consensus on anything.

Now let's see how much of it gets changed as we go into construction documents (and, um, we still don't have a signed lease on the new space yet)...

Aug 31, 06 11:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: