Archinect
anchor

portfolios when applying

swisscardlite

just curious....when applying for a job, do people send real copies of their portfolios or do they send them a link to their online portfolio? i'm thinking it would take a lot of time and investment to make many portfolios. i'm just wandering because I am thinking about making an online portfolio.

Aug 15, 06 3:28 am
l8rpeace

most firms will specify the media for application delivery. I've actually run across very few forms that are asking for web links. HOWEVER, I've found it extremely useful when interviewing to bring some hard copy stuff AND my laptop (just in case there is a need to show something I didn't bring, I can boot up).

Aug 15, 06 3:31 am  · 
 · 
ET

mostly everyone asks for a hard copy !

Aug 15, 06 4:04 am  · 
 · 

everywhere i have worked always want hardcopy.
they do not want to waste time printing. also remember, if you send the hard copy - then at least you know what it will look like, colours, resolution etc.
sure printing 10-20 cv/portfolios costs, but the one you send out should just be a taster for the firm not your whole portfolio.

Aug 15, 06 4:46 am  · 
 · 

I've never had a firm ask for my whole portfolio in advance. The most anybody has wanted is a few images, so if they request it, I send a pdf attached to an email.

Aug 15, 06 10:47 am  · 
 · 
kissy_face

yeah...I wouldn't send everything at once. Maybe just one or two design sheets with your resume. Bring the hard copy portfolio to the interview, or mail later if they request it.

Aug 15, 06 11:48 am  · 
 · 
raj

since a firm gets a ridiculous number of unsolicited resumes, it is good to stick out. if you have good projects (esp built) it really whets the appetite. it is kinda cool to get to an interview and they are actually excited to see more of the project you sent.

if your project are nothing special send something that makes you stick out. when i did not have any great built projects, i would send a couple of my references that say things like how great of an asset i am to the firm...

in the end...just stick out!!

Aug 15, 06 4:47 pm  · 
 · 

best is to send a cv, a cover letter, and a few images.

hard to believe but some offices are actually interested in your experience moren the pretty pics...

Aug 15, 06 9:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: