Archinect
anchor

Trans-USA Roadtrip: Suggestions Please!

the silent observer

Hey Chris...am completely jealous...just remember that, while you enjoy the scenic wonders that I use to call home, I will be in the Bartlett Studio putting together my portfolio for submission...

Everyone has given you great advice. I did Pittsburgh to Salt lake (my home town) last year at around the same time...took I-80 straight across, only because i was in a time crunch. I'd say you'd want to steer clear of it...scenery isn't as good as you can get on some of the smaller freeways...

I say definitely go to fallingwater...and I was there last year, so I can tell you that the major renovations were completed. You may, if you have time, also want to see if you can see Kantuck Know...just a half hour east of Fallingwater...a smaller home, with some kick ass views and some crazy sculptures situated all around...

In Vegas, there are TONS of cheap hotel/motel rooms off the strip...if you aren't dying to stay on it, then it may be the way to go....

If you can make it...and since Utah is my home town...the national parks are awesome...Bryce Canyon and Arches are on top on my list...you can try and stay in Moab, which is a smaller town in the south east corner of the state. The Red Rocks area just outside of Moab has some great Hikes and Mountain Biking, if you are into that kinda thing....

Also, I suggest looking at the New York Times...in the travel section, the have all their archives of visits to smaller cities and towns across the country, with tips on things to do...may give you some ideas...

Jul 21, 06 10:21 am  · 
 · 
the silent observer

Ugh...bad spelling...it is Kantuck Knob.....

Jul 21, 06 10:22 am  · 
 · 
the silent observer

Oh, and while in Vegas...you could always go here:

http://www.thegunstorelasvegas.com/

Rent an AK-47 and have some fun....that is, of course, only if this appeals to you...but I thought it might go along the whole "right to bear arms" mentality that the British tease the Americans of having :)

Jul 21, 06 10:46 am  · 
 · 
crowbert

Don't forget to check out the roadside america website to find a couple places of true americana - the roadside kitch extravaganza. Personally I love the House on the Rock conveiniently located right next to Frank Llyod's Taliesen - one of the best "compare and contrast" lessons in america.

Speaking of which, I would also like to mention that not too far out of your way is a trip through Wisconsin and Minnesota, which has some good vernacular architecture and very nice countryside. Minneapolis/St. Paul is a good city for architecture and friendliness - I would highly advise stopping there, especially because a lot of visitors don't go thinking its some hick burg and miss out. They've got the proto-Bilbao and one cherry of a sculpture garden.

Also, as you swing down to Vegas, don't forget to check out Hoover Dam. Also while you are in the Southwest, absolutely go through Monument Valley - those cowboy westerns don't do it justice. Stop and see the Anasazi Cliff Dwellings (awesome in the truest meaning of the word) and Arches National Park - As you go further into Arches, the crowds drop off and you get a better sense of the grandure of the place.

I second visiting both LA & SF - and visiting the Redwoods in-between. There is nothing like it anywhere else in the world.

Coming from england, I should also mention the american delicacies you need to try while you are here -
New York - Thin Crust Pizza: Grimaldi's Pizza, Brooklyn
- Bagels: H&H's factory on the Upper West side
Chicago - Deep Dish Pizza: Gino's East, Near North or Lincoln Park
- Chicago Style Hot Dog: Hot Doug's, California Ave.
Kansas City - Barbeque: Can't remember the name, ask around for recommendations
Wisconsin - Cheese Curds: Roadside stands, squeaky=delicious
San Fransciso - Donuts: Bob's Donuts, Polk -maybe near Van Ness(?)
- Mexican/Burritos: Can't remember, but they had giant pitchers of magarita's - which, come to think of it - is why I probably can't remember its name.
Los Angeles - Fish Tacos: Again, can't remember the name of the stand, but the locals all seem to know it. Ask around.

Man, now I want to drive across the country!

Happy Trails!

Jul 21, 06 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

Oops - I forgot why I originally wanted to post - At Fallingwater you need to reserve the first tour in the morning - that's the only one where they allow you to take your time and photograph - otherwise they march you through too fast to get a good shot.

Jul 21, 06 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Hot Doug's is awesome, and I miss fish tacos so bad. Those are all great suggestions, crowbert, as well as a great route. Damn I'm jealous.

Jul 21, 06 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

I haven't spent a nite here yet so I can't vouch for it, but if you're nearby it might be a good place to stop for another Wright fix overnight.

The Inn at Price Tower
510 Dewey Avenue, Bartlesville, OK 74006

Jul 21, 06 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

If your into climbing.....honest check out Devils Tower, I have made the climb with Frank Sanders....he now has some sort lodge and climbing school at the base of the tower.

Jul 21, 06 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

treekiller....Deadwood is in South Dakota.... and about one hundred miles to Devils Tower. If in Deadwood you can go into Kevin Costner's
Morning Star Saloon and toss a few quarters in the machine or loose your money to one of my favorite Locals Ricky Jacobsen at a card table.

Jul 21, 06 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Bartlesville is also the home of many Bruce Goff Houses. His office
was located in the Price Tower. I might also add, Joe Price was always a great friend To Bruce Goff.

Jul 21, 06 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
highsmith

Snooker -

You should consider camping as a means to save money, plus it is actually a much better way to see the country. It leaves you less distracted by the sort of 'strip mall america' that will surround nearly every reasonable hotel you might find.

I just did a trip from Rhode Island - North Carolina - to LA, and I camped the whole way. We would select a National Park that seemed like a good stopping point, and arrive, often late at night, to pretty empty campsites. If you choose to use 'primitive camping,' it's usually only a few bucks and very secluded so you won't be bothered by RVs, etc... It was amazing.

Jul 23, 06 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
highsmith

oops, I meant Chris Daniel

Jul 23, 06 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
paperboy

My gf and I just finished a 3 week road trip from LA to Vermont via Chicago, New York. The grand canyon is a must. We went camping in South Park CO and met a guy who crapped out his mouth (very tragic) and had dinner at La Casa Bonita, in both cases will make sense to those who watch South Park. If you can, check out a Cubs game in Chicago, just show up and buy a ticket from a ticket broker selling near the field, we got a great deal, after that go and get a drink at the lounge on the top floor of the Hancock Tower, great view, pricy drinks. Falling water is worth it. We skipped Cincy, needed more time. The Guggenhiem in NY has an exhibit of Zaha's work which is worth a look, I got in for free with a friends pass, otherwise it is pricey. Stayed in VT for a week climbing up mountains an swimming in rivers, very beautiful up there. Camping is great but checking in to an air conditioned motel with cable during a heat wave, priceless. Have a great time.

Jul 23, 06 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Thinking of the last Englishman I know who rented a soft top. He landed in Miami in the middle of the summer....flew there just because. Anyhow the rental car agent, said he could upgrade to a
soft top for $5.00 a day. He said, "Why Not?" Did the paper work headed for his car...and yup it was a convertible. The attendant showed him how to drop the top and off he went into the Florida Summer Sun......only to realize after an hour or so....my head is really hot! Then it came to mind.....I think I need a hat or I'm going to fry my brain with all this SUN.... So I would reccomend it you traveling in a soft top get good instructions on how to make it open and close and also go by yourself sunscreen and a baseball cap. It will certainly make your trip more enjoyable, no matter where your traveling of sleeping at night.

Jul 23, 06 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
lemerc

Funny to come across this post. I am doing a similar trip around the same time. A couple of precaution on the vehicle.. as a visitor in america - it might be difficult for you to purchase car insurance without an address. Purchasing a car in america is a bit different than elsewhere so make sure you look into this a bit further. Usually they require proof of insurance for sale. Also, car rental could be extremely expensive if you are returning the car in a different state. Some rental agency will not rent to someone under the age of 25 while others may charge an additional fee for the rental. Greyhound Bus and trains are not the most convenient - althought the infrastructure is there but the routes are not planned very accordingly.

Check out rideshare on craigslist.com if you change your mind about driving. There are always plenty of people willing to offer a ride to all the location that you have mentioned. I will be more than happy to give you a ride to several of your destination if the timing is right. I will be leaving from New York City.

As for Cincinnati - I would highly recommend visiting the Zaha building. It is one of my favorite. Well worth the trip. Besides that, you have a Gehry, Eisenman, Graves, Morphosis and several other signature architect on the University Campus. Visiting Cincinnati is a good way to see a different side of the country. It is very different from the New York or LA/San Fran.

I would also recommend visiting a bit of the south if you have a chance as that, in itself, a regional gem of america. Don't miss out on Memphis or Nashville if you are a music fan. If you time it right - I believe August is the month to be in Memphis as it is Elvis' birthday... it will most definitely be a riot.

Fallingwater is a must but it takes some driving to get out there. I am not too sure about the camping idea - given that you will be paying around $20 a night while a cheap motel with amenities only cost around $50 (25 pounds?). I personally enjoy a good night's rest and a shower after driving for 8 hours but perhaps a combination of the two option is the way to go. From the discussion it sounds wonderful camping outside on a nice evening.

Grand Canyon is a must and having spend some time in California, northern california (sf) is very different than southern california (la)..... so seeing both would be fantantic - especially if you can drive up along the coast. if you have a chance, san diego and yosemite is also worth a trip. I will be in SF in August and will be happy to show another UCL alum around.

Jul 23, 06 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

oh and read this book -Jack Kerouac's "On the Road"

Jul 24, 06 12:38 am  · 
 · 
Vermonster
Jul 24, 06 1:10 am  · 
 · 
Vermonster
Jul 24, 06 1:15 am  · 
 · 
crowbert

if you are interested in seeing a great old baseball park and getting drunk, go to Wrigley Field. If you want to see how baseball should be played, go to Tiger Stadium or Comiskey, I mean "The Cell".

I say that as a Lifelong Cubs fan - Fire Dusty! and let the majority of the coaching staff go with him!

Jul 24, 06 10:56 am  · 
 · 
A

Watched the movie Road Trip over the weekend. Anyone up for a road trip in a school bus?

Jul 25, 06 8:57 am  · 
 · 
myriam

You honestly don't have a choice but to rent a car if you want to road trip across America, so don't even waste your time researching other options. Greyhound means you will be spending twice as long on the highway and it won't take you where you need to go. Plus, you can't feasibly carry your baggage around the country with Greyhound--when you get to each city, you still need to get to where you're staying, you won't be able to get to small towns at all, nor depart from the interstate to look at items of interest, parks, etcetera. There is NO OTHER WAY to make a road trip across America. Just ignore any suggestions to the contrary and spend your time researching the cheapest rental car agency. I've had great luck with Budget and horrible luck with Enterprise. Make sure they know you are returning it in a different state and that you will be driving it outside of the state zone they have on the cheapest rate. Or, go 3 or 4 states at a time and swap out rental cars. Honestly it's not that expensive, and gas is way cheaper than the UK, in fact EVERYTHING is, so just don't worry about it. Check your Visa card to see if it carries rental car insurance--most do. Also, normally you have to rent a car with a credit card in America, and they authorize a very large amount, so make sure you have some spare hundreds available on that card before showing up at the rental counter to get your car.

Jul 25, 06 11:19 am  · 
 · 
ochona

here is an idea. sometimes people will pay others to drive their car from one place to another for them. for instance, maybe i'm in NY, i have a car (thus i am stinking RICH) and i am moving to LA. i want to fly; my stuff is going in a moving truck; and dammit, that is one long drive.

i post an ad on craiglist or something and ask if anyone wants to make a little money driving my car to LA.

this is not unheard of. you could do the reverse: post an ad on craigslist asking if anyone needs a car driven that distance. if you do it for gas money only you will have saved hundreds of $, money that you could spend staying in cool places like the price tower.

and this is coming from a texan: don't detour through TX with the trip you have planned. it'll be way too far out of the way, and between fort worth and el paso via I-20 / I-10 there is absolutamente NADA worthwhile. not the scenery (ever been to central spain? ever seen cows?). not the buildings (ever seen a wal-mart?). marfa is overrated, you'll see much better scenery (and fewer upper-middle-class liberal snobs) in the "real" west.

marfa is for houstonians who want to live in santa fe but who don't want to pay income tax. there, i've said it.

Jul 25, 06 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

ha ha ha ha! ochona you are always a pleasure to read, no matter the topic.

Jul 25, 06 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
A

I don't want to pay income tax...maybe I should check out marfa.

Yeah, doing a bus is ridiculous. Greyhound might be cheap if going from Philly to Chicago, or whatever, but all you'll see is the turnpike and roadside oasis stops. Like Burger King and Sunoco gas stations?

I've never had a problem with dropping rental cars in other cities/states. Alamo was good about it and gave me unlimited mileage and no penatly for moving their car between Tennessee and Florida. The only other advice I have for driving is that over here we drive on the right side of the road. Might want to remember that. ha ha

Jul 25, 06 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

myriam, i am just doing my part to keep people from ending up in odessa TX and if someone is entertained along the way...so be it.

and i just realized, chris, if you go to price tower in bartlesville OK you might end up going thru the panhandle of TX on I-40...that's alright, make sure you eat at the big texan in amarillo if you like extremely large steaks and extremely short amounts of time to eat them.

oh, and cadillac ranch.

welcome to the US of A!

Jul 25, 06 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
db

for STL,MO

be sure to see the Wainwright Building and Union Station (esp the Grand Hall) -- both masterpieces of 19th century American architecture

there is an Erich Mendehlson building in University City (a near suburb) now operating as the Center for Contemporary Arts (COCA)

the new Fumihiko Maki building is nearly done at WashU, and is worth a drive-by

drive through some of the Private Streets (a mostly local phenomenon) -- Compton Heights is quite accessible and scenic

the Missouri Botanical Garden originally designed and gifted (along with Tower Grove Park) to the city by Henry Shaw is worth a visit if you're spending the day here.

There is a recently restored FLW house (the Krauss House) in Ebsworth park in West County. It's no Fallingwater, but may be worth a look if you're into that sort of thing.

on the culinary side:
hit Imo's for pizza and toasted ravioli
try the Schlafley Tap Room for local brew and pretty decent fish&chips
and of course there the Anheuser-Busch tour (impressive actually)

Jul 25, 06 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
Christopher Daniel

Dammit. This is such an overload. So much great information! I really think we should suggest to Paul that once I've collated all the advice we could start a little Archinect roadtrip sub-site. All the info and advice above could be listed and filed by state, city, category, whatever. There's a wealth of archi-travel knowledge being dealt out here and I'm grateful to you all. I'll definitely have to post some blogs and photos and stuff either on the road or at least when I get back.

There's so much advice that I'm actually finding it hard to remember what needs answering and what I think is a good idea and where I might go and.... argh. I'll do my best.

Anyhoo. I've booked my flights. I arrive in NYC on Thursday 3rd August. Woo-hoo. My return is semi-flexible but is currently booked for 31st August from San Francisco.

Myriam:
Thanks for your various bits of advice in previous comments. All good stuff. Out of interest, are you a Brit in the States or an American in the UK? You seem to have good info on cross-pond comparisons!

I'm still thinking I'll have to hire a car (I keep switching between the words "hire" and "rent", I think one is UK and one US, but not sure). My problem is that the best price I've been offered is about $1,800! That's a LOT of money. That's more than I've ever spent on a holiday before, let alone car hire! I've got a mate to share some of the cost but if I go for it I think I'll be camping or sleeping in the car all the way. The price that all the companies want to charge me seems to include about $800 as a fee for dropping off the car at a different location. Also, I'm 26 so unfortunately I can't blame the price on being too young. Dammit.

The only other suggestion I'm contemplating is buying an old car and trying to sell it on at the other end. A friend who did that a few years back has just got back from holiday so I'll ask him tomorrow. It's a risk, but if it works out I could end up selling for the same price I bought for, or maybe even turning a profit. The only additional downside is that buying/selling a car might dig into my time in NYC and San Fran.

Crowbert:
Thanks for all the well-hyperlinked info.

Dyee:
Sorry to hear you're stuck in the Bartlett. It must be living hell in this weather.

Snooker:
I'm already considering what form of headwear might be appropriate for this trip. Obviously any form of baseball cap or cowboy hat would be like taking coal to Newcastle and not a good look. I had considered a flatcap, but I'm not a northerner. A bowler would probably be trying too hard. I'm currently trying to decide between my Tanzanian safari hat (broken in nicely while working for my brother in the Serengeti) or possibly investing in a good Panama. There's nothing like a good Panama hat to reassure an Englishman that he's putting his best foot forward and properly representing Queen & Empire in any corner of the globe. They also fold up so won't get crushed! If I get the Panama I may have to learn to smoke a pipe and insist on dressing for dinner and wearing a properly starched shirt in all circumstances.

Lemerc:
Drop me an e-mail and let me know where you'll be and when. I reckon I'll be getting a car all the way but thanks for the offer of a ride. If we're ever in the same area we should definitely form a CONVOY! I even have the original CW McCall track on my iPod. That track is neglected genius.

Thanks too to everyone else who's contributed thus far. I'd answer everyone's queries/posts if it didn't take so damned long to scroll up and down and remember what I'm writing.

Until next time, people, remember: "All Proper Tea is Best".
(with apologies to Pierre-Joseph Proudhon)

Jul 25, 06 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada
www.burningman.com/
Jul 25, 06 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
Christopher Daniel

Dammit! I'm supposed to be leaving Las Vegas on 26th and heading up through California. Burning Man this year is from 28th August until 4th September. I've always wanted to go and didn't even think it would be possible when I planned this (really should have checked!).

So... should I see California or catch the first couple of days of Burning Man? Opinions please...

Jul 25, 06 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

chris--"rent" is US, "hire" is UK. asking to hire a car in the US might get you a black lincoln and a driver named rocco! that comes at a VERY high price! buying the car isn't such a good idea unless you have a little bit of spare time at the end of the road.

Jul 25, 06 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
Christopher Daniel

Errr.... I don't want to be alarmist, but....

I just spoke to a mate who drove around the US for a few months in the late '90s. I told him I'd be heading across Kansas during August. He said that that is actually tornado season. Is that right? Am I going to be driving across Kansas in a small rented car and constantly looking over my shoulder for twisters?!

If anyone knows about these things, please let me know! I'm not particularly worried (a lot of me thinks it'll be fun!) but I should at least be prepared....

Jul 26, 06 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
Vermonster

Hey Chris

I've done that drive before during august and the main thing I would be concerned about is whether your car has a/c. Every part of the midwest and west is blazing hot in august, it will seem more so if you're coming from the UK.

You'll definetly see some big t-storms but you've got a better chance of getting invited to tea with the Queen mum than getting caught in a tornado.

Still, If you DO get caught in one, I'm not sure what the drill is...

Jul 26, 06 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
myriam
total 1348.04

19 day 0 hour rental
unlimited free miles
rate code IC

As opposed to:

total 1427.60 UKL

17 day 0 hour rental
unlimited free miles
rate code BB
taxes included
Supplemental Liability included
Loss Damage Waiver included

Ok. The first is for a US resident, the second I put in UK resident. For a UK resident they add on a whopping $1,100 (or actually, I think that's POUNDS--although it's unclear...) PLUS they add on extra insurance and stuff.

So, it looks like, short of buying a car (which does take time) I would recommend recruiting an American driver. Find someone, anyone, which a US drivers' license (archinecter? friend of a friend from arch school?) that is willing to be your driver and come along (and, most importantly, be responsible for the rental car, since it will be in their name) and in return you and your mate should split the car cost. It will save you tons and the Driver gets a free ride.

If you buy a car, you can always sell to a dealership at the end instead of wasting time trying to sell to a lone individual. You will lose money on the transaction that way, but there you have it. The problem with buying a car and selling it is that you have no way to guarantee that the cheap, crappy old car you buy will actually be in a condition to make it across the U.S.--also, registering a car takes time at the DMV (dept. of motor vehicles) and I have no idea how that works for people that don't have any kind of US ID or address. On top of that, you can't get the title transferred to you unless you have proof of insurance, which is expensive and takes time to get, and I don't know how someone without a visa or anything can get insurance. (This is a common problem for illegal aliens, so I am assuming it's not easy.)

Sooooo... I wouldn't bother going the car-purchase route.

Also, two things to remember when you rent a car:

1) take a cab out of nyc as far as you can (the quotes above are based on a Budget location in New Jersey) and rent from a place in the burbs. Your daily rate will be MUCH cheaper. Also,

2) rent the car the day you leave NYC and drop it off the day you arrive in SF, because to explore the cities themselves you will want to use only public transit anyway.

Jul 26, 06 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Luckily for you guys, most US interstates (except on the east coast) don't have tolls.

Now that I look at the price for an American driver... it would only be about $700 for you and your mate to split the car for 19 days (not including gas), which is (comparitively) CHEAP! Serviceable hotels on cross-country trips will run you at least $50 a night, so if you figure on camping out and saving yourself that cost... it's not such a bad way to see a whole lot of American countryside.

Jul 26, 06 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
the silent observer

Chris...Don't worry about tornados...just note that if the sky is looking dark and onimous, and the wind starts picking up, to find a nice underpass pull over under....:) Seriously, though...the only problem I had when I did the cross-country thing last year was a sudden windstorm...but by the time it hit the area I was at, I was inside a restaurant eating dinner. :)

As for your car hire(rental) dilemma...you may want to see if you have a credit card that covers the car insurance....Some cards provide you with that service automatically, and when you rent a car using the card, you can take off the car insurance fee....check out your fine print...

As for burning man...tough call...I'd say if you are actually considering between California and Burning Man, that you push your ticket date back a bit and squeeze in a bit of both ;) Hey...you've traveled a hundreds of miles by car, and a thousand or so by plane...so, really, at that point, it's all relative, right?

Have a great trip...post some photos on your flikr if you get a chance...it'd be great to see what's capturing your eye as you travel across the country. :) Wireless is much more accessible stateside...look out for coffee shops and bookstores...and often times it will be free wireless :)

Jul 26, 06 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

chris-

the drive from Las Vegas to Los Angeles is quite easy and i think los angeles is worth visiting. even if you don't like the city itself, the urbanism is quite fascinating and the architecture is great. and the food to be had is amazing. then SF is only a day away on the 5, or two days on Pacific Coast Highway. If you to take PCH, Cambria, a small artist colony is a great place to spend the night.

Jul 26, 06 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
A

I'm not sure why everyone is warning you about the midwest heat in August. Isn't England amidst in their own heat wave right now? It'll be warm but nothing like the heat and humidity as if you were going through FLorida, Mississippi, E. Texas, etc. The heat in the plains states is a relatively dry heat and not near at the temps you'll encounter in Vegas. That said, Kansas is warmer that Nebraska which is warmer that S. Dakota which is warmer than N. Dakota.

Then again I'm biased towards the northern plains. Kansas, Oaklahoma, Missouri, and Nebraska are mostly boring wastelands of bland architecture and flat farmland. South Dakota has the badlands and black hills and the cornpalace!

Jul 26, 06 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
Christopher Daniel

Yup, we've been having a bit of a heatwave here. Last week London was apparently hotter than most of Mediterranean Europe and many parts of the Caribbean. It doesn't help that London was designed for rain, not heat.

Earlier this evening (GMT) I spoke to a mate who spent 4 months travelling around the US in 1999. He's a half-yank and had an uncle in Virginia who helped him buy a very cool Oldsmobile camper van that he then drove across the country and back again, having many adventures on the way. He then sold it on for a profit.

I, however, have less time and no American connections so will have to take the rental route. I can't believe that stuff about US driver/UK driver. I'm not sure I even entered my country of residence into some of the websites and I was always getting about $2,000 for 25 days. I think one thing that makes a big difference though is whether you search for prices through an American site or a British one (e.g. Hertz.com or Hertz.co.uk). The UK ones will always charge a lot more.

Myriam, you're right: I should get rid of the car on arriving in 'frisco, not at the airport as I'd planned. That'll save me a bunch of money and I should have thought of it before. I'm already planning not to get the car until I leave NYC. Can anyone please suggest a suitable place where I might be able to pick up a rental car outside NYC but on my way to Fallingwater? Just name a city/town and I'll take my enquiries from there!

(This is all highly amusing, by the way. All this advice makes me feel like a schoolboy at a careers day or something like that. Quite surreal!)

Dyee, I'm having to take a laptop with me (a mate's old one, it weighs a tonne!) for music-hosting purposes. The upside of that is that I might be able to post stuff onto Flickr as I go. When I do so I'll post a link on my SchoolBlog or whatever.

Jul 26, 06 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

One thing I've learned recently is that lots of hotels/motels helpfully advertise their wireless on their lit-up roadside billboards... and even more helpfully, they don't encrypt the networks! (Would *you* want to be constantly talking guests through password procedures?!) So quick pit-stops in hotel parking lots should do the job if you need internet access. Hopefully you'll find yourself too caught up in adventure to need the 'net, however. :)

Jul 27, 06 1:53 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

great thread, probably more than he asked for, but WOW you archinecter's deliver.

skipping Denver, huh? then i have nothing for you.

Jul 27, 06 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

by the way, wonderk, i WILL take you up on that ms. cincinatti tour. I have held a place in my heart for Cincinatti ever since I drove thru it at the young age of 17 and declared it the coolest place I'd ever been. don't know what it was, just the feel of it. Been wanting to go back ever since. Ironically, that was the same year i first visited the grand canyon - i felt nothing. What's wrong with me?

Jul 27, 06 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

yay!

Did you guys ever take that quiz that tells you what you are supposed to be when you grow up? I'm sure I've told you this before but my results said that I was meant to be a cruise director. I've embraced that label.

PS. Strawbeary, it's two "n"s, one "t".

Jul 27, 06 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Corn Palace!!!!! Thank you for that, A.

What you can't see from the picture, Chris, is all that decoration on the building? Made of corn. Yeehaw.

Jul 27, 06 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

wonderK, i figured i spelled it wrong. but I'm three beers down and don't care.

I made a mini corn palace for an elementary school project... It's really just a giant bird feeder, and Mitchell, SD is boring as hell. They do have a Walmart though.

Jul 27, 06 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Wall Drug - Wall, South Dakota is the best example of northern prairie vernacular...

Chris, from Penn Station NYC, you can take NJ transit to via Trenton where you switch to SEPTA to get to Philadelphia for only $14. (Amtrak offers a quicker/more comfortable trip at $50+). This will save you from 100 miles of the meanest urban highways in the US. There are several rental car outlets in Center City Philly or at the Philadelphia train station. Just be safe in the trenton station - I have storiest to tell....

In Philly, don't miss Kahn's Richards Lab and the Furness Library (art and architecture) on the UPenn campus (1/2 mile from the train station). In center city, there is lots of Venturi colonial kitch at the Ben Franklin museum...

Philly is about a 6 hour drive down the Pennsylvania turnpike from fallingwaters. If you take back roads (worth the detour) through Lancaster County (home of the amish and horse+buggies), then you won't get to Bear Run in time for a tour that same day.

Jul 27, 06 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Excellent advice, treekiller: Chris, that drive between NYC and Philly is indeed some of the most terrifying driving I've experienced. Boring, too. And you can enjoy a day (or two) in Philly, then head to FLW.

Jul 27, 06 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Richards Lab is lovely with all the crap taped up over the windows. Can people even get in there? Never tried. I know when I worked at Harvard all research areas were usually locked off.

Chinatown bus from NYC to Philly is like $12. It's pretty fast too. Atleast the time I took it.

Jul 28, 06 12:20 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

As a native son of the great state of Kansas I'll weigh in here on the tornado issue. The worst of tornado season is in the spring/ early summer. There may still be some beasties swirling away out there but typically by August things have settled down and there might get to see some of the spectacular thunderstorms of the Midwest. I moved away from Kansas when I was 16 and had never seen a single tornado touchdown. (Plenty of funnel clouds, but those don't really count.) And for a tornado all you can really do is duck, try and find the lowest point of real estate nearby and lay down in it.

And since it sounds like you're driving down 70 I'll make a couple recommendations:
Lawrence, KS- fantastic college town. Lots of good eats, I recommend my Uncle's bakery, Wheatfields, for a sandwich and a loaf of some of the best bread you will surely ever taste. (He's also got the counter folks pulling some damn fine espressos these days.) If you hit the town later in the evening, stop off at the Freestate Brewery for a pint, nice and cold, not room temperature as you might be used to. (If you drop me a line I might be able to arrange for a field or some such for you to camp out in while you're in Lawrence.)

Another 3 hours or so West, stop in Salina and get a couple sacks of Cozy Inn burgers. This is THE quintessential classic American burger stand. They only make hamburgers, no fries, no cheese burgers, don't ask. Make sure you get your soda in the bottle and try and take one of the six stools which comprise the restaurant. You will still be smelling of onions when you reach Colorado.

The alternative to that is a family style chicken dinner at the Brookville Hotel now in Abilene. (My grandmother would tell you that the chicken isn't as good since they stopped using cast iron pans.) You just sit down and they start bringing you food, there's no choices to make, this is what you're getting. (And as a side note, any small town "family style" restaurant is usually a good bet. Often they serve homemade pie for desert.)

West of Salina is where the great flatness really starts and doesn't let up till you reach Denver. Truly not much out there, but the contrast with the Rockies and what lies on the other side make it worthwhile.

Not sure if its been mentioned before, but if you are stopping in St. Louis definitely see the Arch. They also have a newish Ando museum that is worth checking out.

I vote for driving up the coast from LA rather than seeing Burning Man. Naked chicks running around in the desert? boring. Seriously the drive up the PCH is amazing.

Jul 28, 06 12:41 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Chris, I don't envy you and your trip planning! All of this is making me want to take a year off and do a documentary!

BTW, aren't you leaving soon?

Jul 28, 06 11:21 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra
Jul 28, 06 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: