one word for you...Garwondler.

Apr 25, 11 3:11 pm  · 
 · 

Like this?

Apr 25, 11 3:15 pm  · 
 · 

This thread is a total classic IMO:

Fast help Please

This poor guy was trying to find out something - who knows what - about cancer facilities and we went on forever about log-in troubles, horoscopes, platypi...poor guy.  He probably never came back to this site ever again.

Apr 25, 11 3:30 pm  · 
 · 

Also vado where is your male cheerleader image?  That's a must.  

Apr 25, 11 3:32 pm  · 
 · 

And the original v1.0 insult: you pee like a girl.

Apr 25, 11 3:33 pm  · 
 · 

Does anyone remember "off the eggshell" from v1?

Apr 25, 11 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you mean this fancy graphic lover???

Apr 25, 11 3:48 pm  · 
 · 

I don't remember off the eggshell.  I must be a newbie around here.

Apr 25, 11 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Phillip Crosby beat me to "WonderK I want to hear about your flowers."

Apr 25, 11 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

might i also suggest:......to include some archinect meet up pictures.

Apr 25, 11 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I have no idea what's going on here.

What is garwondler? I had one of participants try to explain it to me in person, but I still don't get it. 

Is it a flyover state thing? :)

Apr 25, 11 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
timothysadler®

Per Corell should be represented...

Apr 25, 11 7:31 pm  · 
 · 

Some reference to the lack of pants, drinking merlotch, and still being alive should probably be included. Hey you fancy graphics lovers - of course.

Apr 25, 11 8:48 pm  · 
 · 

Yay, for the long lost and much-missed puddles!

Apr 25, 11 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

or another tribute to our friend puddles:

for those of you interested in the work of marcel breuer i just found out that grosse pointe is considering the demolition of his modest & unpretentiously modern central library building.

Apr 25, 11 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

PUDDLES!?!?!?!?!  Where's puddles?  I miss puddles!!! Speaking of puddles, perhaps there should be some reference to his ever present battle with his finger nails.  I always think of him when I'm filing mine.

Apr 25, 11 9:07 pm  · 
 · 

Hi tumbles The Day John Devlin Got Banned Almost anything Silent Disapproval Robot ever said...

Apr 25, 11 9:11 pm  · 
 · 

And, though there wouldn't be time/space for it probably, the long story in the worst-ever reviews thread about the crash into the glass water column.

Apr 25, 11 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

And an epileptic ally fast montage of the thousands of commiserating MArch applicants over the years.

Apr 25, 11 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

For LB

Apr 25, 11 10:14 pm  · 
 · 

Oh, melt, my dear, you read my mind exactly.....

won williams, that's an excellent quote, the one that set off the Breuer project.  Well done.

Apr 25, 11 10:27 pm  · 
 · 

yeah must agree with 

for those of you interested in the work of marcel breuer i just found out that grosse pointe is considering the demolition of his modest & unpretentiously modern central library building.

even though that was i think in my lurking days...

Apr 25, 11 10:29 pm  · 
 · 

if we're going retro, we have to have,

"2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!"

and maybe some mention of the Existential Crisis Convention?

Apr 25, 11 11:32 pm  · 
 · 

i agree, basically anything Per said.

Apr 26, 11 4:17 am  · 
 · 

Apr 26, 11 6:50 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

Posts by Le Bossman within a minute of one another....

.that dwell fetishes a certain category of style in my opinion destoys it's ability to have a serious discussion about architecture in the first place.

i already said that two years ago.

Apr 26, 11 8:49 am  · 
 · 

it would be cool to recognize metamechanic's $100 manifesto competition.  

__

"archispeak: ... relegated to the intellectual conversations had by those who spend too much time loving the possibilities of the profession." – ChAOs, Archinect, 8 mar 07

__

The following three were together:

Q:
1. In the worlds of Physics and Architecture: If solid matter is to form as gas is to space, then what is liquid in architecture?

2. If social science is considered a mushy science and physics exact science than where does architecture fall? and can architects or will architects ever be considered scientists? –metamechanic, archinect, 9 nov 06

A:
liquids...

are (depending on the scale and politics of the project)

1.inhabitants which change states over the course of and within space
2.users which change states of being when exposed to space
3.cash/information flow which somehow gains a material vitality when filtered through space; the loss of abstraction?" – misterTT, archinect, 9 nov 06

Form follows proforma – MUUM79, 11 nov 06

__

"The interesting thing I think is when you bring that surreal idea and push it further, try to make it "real"... You might serendipitously discover something that you could not have come up with through rational means. Whether that thing is actually useful to you or not is chance... But the potential for it being completely "new" is much greater... So in a way, its an irrational method that can actually produce more innovative ideas than any rational method could ever hope to...

(At the risk of revealing my geeky side) George Lucas often used a kind of "paranoid critical method" to come up with his aliens and ships in the original Star Wars... Like he would juxtapose letters of the alphabet with spaceships to come up with designs for ships... The x-wing, the tie fighter (which was a flying letter H), and he designed the millenium falcon while eating a hamburger with a pickle sticking out of it... Theres also a ship that was basically a flying iron in Empire Strikes Back... The light sabre was a flash light and a sword... At the time, his designs seemed to be really innovative, but they could not have been designed with purely rational ideas about how ships will look in the future... Maybe there is a type of real creativity that is made possible by being intentionally irrational... Having an ability to make sense of the surreal..." – bRink, Archinect, 19 Aug 05

Apr 26, 11 9:44 am  · 
 · 

"Why did you become an architect?":

Didn't like world. Figured I'd try to rig up a new one out of some of this stuff we've got laying around.

Can't sleep anyway.

-newstreamlinedmodel, archinect.

Apr 26, 11 9:46 am  · 
 · 
n_

Wait, how could we forget these!!!!!!:

hi mdler!

hi tumbles!

Remember how they hijacked every single thread for weeks with their little torrid online/then-real-life love affair.

Apr 26, 11 9:59 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Ah, this one comes from the "BBQ Season is Here" thread from 2005 (courtesy of "linton"):

*ENGINE CHICKEN*

Here's the thing, see, your car engine gets real hot. Like an oven, friend. So how 'bout cooking some chicken in there? For instance, under the hood all tucked in next to those hot engine parts? Well okay! This is just a great recipe, goes like this:

1. Get a whole chicken.

2. Wrap that baby in foil. Leave two little exhaust valves in the foil such as you see on clamshells and abalone shells and so on. Just these little spouts, like.

3. Then, pop the hood of your car and stuff that whole foil wrapped chicken in just any cavity big enough to fit it in there snug.

4. I like to do this, then: make a little tube of foil. Make it real long and attach one end to a valve. Weave the rest through the hood and somehow hook it onto the antenna.

5. The idea here is: let's use some of that wind power to spice the meat! You know, you'll need a balloon for this. Put a clove of garlic into that balloon and attach balloon to the other end of the foil tube, baby.

6. Close hood and get ready for a great ride.

That's all the prep it takes and now you're on your way to a classic meal. Now, let's get cooking.

You'll need a straight stretch of road, such as you'll find in the desert or just some real desolate and god-forsaken place. Here's the trick: where as an oven chicken might require, say, 1hr. at 350 degrees F to cook, ENGINE CHICKEN requires 1hr at 125 mph to cook it real nice and tender. No stopping, either.

*CAUTION: This recipe is really worth it except, for me, just this one time. That time was this first date kind of thing. I still don't really know why it even went wrong. But it did, for some damn reason:

I thought it would be real romantic to make ENGINE CHICKEN instead of just going out to some old restaurant or something like everybody else does. It was going to be this big surprise. Damn it if my date didn't keep asking me about the spice tube! "Why's that foil coming out of your hood?" and "what's that balloon up there for?" I just kept real quiet and kept driving.

Eventually we get out to the straight stretch way out in the desert. Then my date asks me, "where're we going, anyway, way out here in the middle of nowhere?" I didn't even answer because it was going to be this big surprise. I just hit the gas and sped out toward a classic meal. "Slow down, slow down!" the date tells me. But I HAD to keep driving, in order to cook the chicken properly.

After an hour at a steady 125 mph my date was just kind of quiet. But then the chicken was ready so I pulled over. I had packed plastic plates and utensils and stuff so I got those out and popped the hood open. Then I used some oven mitts and dislodged that tasty bugger from the engine. It was steaming and everything and just looked delicious! I held it up high like a trophy so my date could see it from the passenger seat. "SURPRISE", I yelled, "ENGINE CHICKEN!" For some reason, my date just sat there real quiet and wouldn't even join me for the feast. Vegetarian, maybe? Dunno. I just sat there on that hot car hood, under the desert stars, and ate that whole tasty chicken myself. Boy, was that stuff good.

Apr 26, 11 11:29 am  · 
 · 

Some really good ones here. Unfortunately we're limited to each quote only being about the length of a sentence. We still have some time for some more nominations.

Apr 26, 11 12:18 pm  · 
 · 

Don't worry, we don't plan on using any of your quotes.

Apr 26, 11 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

My quotes are open source!

Apr 26, 11 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect

Yay! And they're worth quoting.

Apr 26, 11 12:56 pm  · 
 · 

Look, Stephen, I don't have all evening to sit and decipher your abstruse historical allusions and pedantic witticisms, especially when you don't seem especially eager to explain your intentions and don't seem to care how they're taken, so just let me know if you want to have an actual conversation, instead of some sort of affected lecture. Otherwise, I'll leave you to your historical reenactments and quondam grudges.

A good one from v2 by Marc Pittsley

Apr 26, 11 2:32 pm  · 
 · 

as a child of light and grace....

Apr 26, 11 3:14 pm  · 
 · 

And that newstreamlinedmodel description of architecture has been a touchstone for me since s/he posted it.  Excellent quote.

Apr 26, 11 3:14 pm  · 
 · 

here's one I'd been looking for, courtesy of aldorossi:

"And why so sensitive about the hipster commentary? Hipster is what it is. An existential craving for the authentic, which in our consumerist culture gets co-opted, commodified, branded and hung on racks with price tags so fast that we barely have time to enjoy the little bit of risk it entails. "

Apr 26, 11 3:19 pm  · 
1  · 
toasteroven

one of my tirades got picked up by some architecture rag - I don't know if it's really in the spirit of the event, though...

Apr 26, 11 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

Stephen, do you know what you remind me of? Those annoying guys that come by and paint my address on the curb in front of my house without my permission. Then they come by the next day and ask to be paid for the service.

Just out of curiosity, why are you posting a bunch of your own quotes in a thread that is requesting people to nominate quotes to use for the party, then follow up with saying that we can't use them (assuming that we would consider to use them?)

Also, just out of curiosity, why do you send me emails every so often asking for us to remove all your accounts, claiming you don't want to post on Archinect anymore, only to continue obsessively posting your self-indulgent blather. As much as you like to complain, you know that your own site wouldn't get any visits if it wasn't for your countless self links from our forum.

Apr 26, 11 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Damn, Paul's on a war path today.

Do me next!

Apr 26, 11 3:47 pm  · 
 · 

Can we quote that Rusty?

Apr 26, 11 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Sure, as long as I don't have to pay anyone nothing.

Apr 26, 11 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

what are the rights of someone that posts in an open forum..

i mean your quotes aren't copyrighted are they?

but what a lot of hot air, self obsessed, incomprehenisble, disinteresting, self indulgent drivel.

Apr 26, 11 4:09 pm  · 
 · 

What makes you think I'm upset? You're an easy target Stephen, and you can't expect to not get targeted.

Apr 26, 11 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i nominate this....

but what a lot of hot air, self obsessed, incomprehenisble, disinteresting, self indulgent drivel.

Apr 26, 11 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

glad to hear someone nominated le bossman hee hee hee

here are two sentences, back to back, from the "dear abra" thread years back:

hot chicks at art openings usually go for guys with who has at least a couple grams of coke in their pocket.

--abracadabra

next time instead of talking about complicated 'tectonic issues', ask the hot chick if you could use her make up mirror.

--abracadabra

Apr 26, 11 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

paul,

is there a way you could make an exception for one of vado's songs?  it feels like that'd have to be in there just as a piece of archinect's history.

Apr 26, 11 4:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: