Archinect
anchor

Best things to do to prepare for 3-year mArch

ArchiStriker

I will be attending Clemson this fall to begin the 3-year Master of Architecture program, and I am looking to get advice on the best things I can do in order to prepare myself. I would love to get in there and be "ahead of the game" in any way I can. Any advice???

Apr 25, 11 11:23 am
Travelwade

Sketch

Read "101 things i learned in architecture school"

travel 

look at lots of buildings

say goodbye to your friends and family (you won't be seeing them for a while.)  :  )

Apr 25, 11 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
ArchiStriker

@Travelwade:

Thank you for the advice, i've heard quite a bit about that book, i'll have to get it. As for sketching, can you go a bit more in depth? Should I try to teach myself one and two-point perspective drawing? 

Apr 25, 11 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Visit local firms and find someone working to explain what a regular day is like.  Then go to your U's business school and apply for an MBA.  Then think really hard about why you wanted to be an architect and how that relates to your interviews of professionals.

Apr 25, 11 6:37 pm  · 
 · 

woh, negative much?

;-)

it is very hard to prepare.  no need to learn to do perspectives imo.  maybe read some books on modern archtiecture if you are into it.  the book by kenneth frampton is what i use to teach intro to modern arch myself.

other than that try and travel and see as many buildings you can, draw them in a sketchbook, that sort of thing.

and if all else fails, there is the MBA route waiting in the wings.  although in my experience that is a grass is greener sort of choice really...

Apr 25, 11 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Nope, quite positive about things if you include the business side ;-) .  By itself, though...

Apr 25, 11 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
AP

i'll second the frampton book...you may be asked to read it a history or theory course in the first year of your program, but familiarity at the outset would be great.  otherwise, practice drawing by hand, don't sweat the digital stuff...they'll likely teach it to you at the outset, in a much more efficient and intensive way.  and get your physical and mental health in order.  arch school is taxing, so do your best to start in a well rested, well-fed and otherwise "well" sorta way....'cause it will be challenging to maintain a steady, normal sort of wellness while in school...best of luck!

Apr 25, 11 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
AP

(as i drink a soda, which i normally don't do, and stuff my face with a chicken parm sub at the outset of what will be a late night...possibly an all-night...)

Apr 25, 11 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
JLOW

I would second the drawing comment initially posted by travelwad...a life drawing class would be great way to begin one's education.

Apr 25, 11 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
Ersatz

Uhhhh....if you have ABSOLUTELY no experience with software used for architecture and graphic design I'd say it would be good to familiarize yourself with them before going to school.

I found they don't really teach you the programs. They sort of give you a 1 hour tutorial on the software, then you have to learn it yourself through asking people and experimenting.  Time management wise, with all the deadlines, it'd be good to already be somewhat familiar with the software, so that you don't spend as much time trying to learn the programs and instead focus on completing the assignments.

I wished I did this on the onset, or taken an undergrad in graphic design or something. 

Apr 25, 11 10:45 pm  · 
 · 

I'd second just enjoy yourself. Alot of things will change once you start school, the biggest will be seeing the world in ways you hadn't before. The books AP and jump will help, inversely there is Modern Architecture Since 1900 by William Curtis 

Apr 26, 11 12:24 am  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

agree with the comments above, especially sketch, travel, read --- might i also suggest reading scott's, the architecture of humanism, and zeisel's, inquiry by design

if you want to get a jump on software tools, start learning sketchup (free from google) and revit (free when you sign up for academic license at autodesk.com/community/students) --- other softwares you are likely to use are rhino and vray (not free) and photoshop, illustrator and indesign (not free)

Apr 26, 11 1:12 am  · 
 · 
I_wasn't_even_there!

First of all I need to point out that I can sketch extremely well.  Sketching is one of my favorite things to do.  But honestly it doesn't come in handy for architecture school.  I think the most harrowing things about architecture school is getting familiar with all of the software (which by the way you can obtain free (wink wink) very easily.  Don't ever let the cost of software keep you from learning it.  Do yourself a favor and never ever use sketchup.  I know it quite well and it is seriously inferior to Rhino.  Revit is a must know for the work field but not for student work unless you want to get a technical degree.  I hear ITT Tech is accepting applicants.

I'm not discouraging sketching, I'm just saying that the stress of not knowing how to sketch is way less than not knowing how to navigate software.  Fortunately the activities aren't mutually exclusive as I typically sketch when I am supposed to be doing something else ie class, church, waiting for the bus etc.   

Find some tutorials (Lynda.com) and learn Rhino, photoshop and illustrator and maybe Vray if you have time.  Not every school teaches software so don't expect them to teach it to you.  

We should all read, write and travel our whole lives and we will incrementally better ourselves.  If you have a few months until architecture school, learn the software.

Apr 26, 11 3:23 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I traveled more in architecture school than any other time in my life.  Drank more and socialized more, too.  I wouldn't worry about living, you'll do plenty (although it'll all focus around architecture, which, imho, makes it even more enjoyable).

We should all read, write and travel our whole lives and we will incrementally better ourselves.  If you have a few months until architecture school, learn the software.  

Read a quick book on the big names and you'll be fine (I, admittedly, barely knew who FLW was when I entered undergrad, so again, don't worry).

That probably is good advice.  And seriously, don't dismiss the business school thing.  That is my only regret in 7 years of architecture school - no MBA and/or not enough business classes.  Everything else will come easily and quickly.

(is that a little better jump?  I'll revisit after another cup of coffee ;-)    )

Apr 26, 11 9:40 am  · 
 · 
elletoman

Yes, DO make sure that you are interested in business, and in working in an office/for someone else for a large portion of your career.  I started architecture school at a very young age, so I didn't even have the mental capacity to think about what life might be like after the magical dream world of architecture school.  As it turns out, I can't stand sitting at a desk all day and working for The Boss..but I must endure years of experience at it in order to get paid to do what I'm actually interested in.

Travelling is good advice..but I'd rather advice that you save up some money now, in order to travel while in school or after graduation- so you can see things through your new eyes!!

And I don't want to crush your dreams, but you shouldn't expect the economy to pick up in three years- employment is not a guarantee just because you got your $100,000 piece of paper.

Apr 26, 11 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
AbrahamNR

Knowing the software is good, but I would put more emphasis on the sketching, the reading, the theory and the like. And maybe go take a craft class and start making things with your hands, to get you accustomed to making physical models. Architecture school is about learning how to think critically and quickly, so don't focus too much on the technical side about learning every piece of software there is. 

Apr 26, 11 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
I_wasn't_even_there!

Everybody keeps giving you advise on things that are extremely important to develop during your academic/life career (although I don't believe that sketching helps with either, I just do it because its fun.).  What I am offering is realistic advise in order to ameliorate the intensity of the first year of architecture school.  Learning how to sketch, become a good designer etc takes years.  Getting comfortable with software takes a few months. 

Apr 27, 11 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
Ersatz

Yeah I think sketching and reading are skills you should probably have a good handle on already, if you got into grad school.  Sure you can improve sketching skills and learn more about theory, but if you’re already pretty comfortable with the toolsets needed for those activities (namely your own body and mind) those are things that won’t pose a problem while in school.

But if you’re unfamiliar with a set of tools where you have less control and the rules are different and unfamiliar, like software, it takes more time to get used to it.  And time is precious while in 1st year grad school.  The learning curve can be pretty steep for some people, and keeping up with assignments on top of that will be cause for a lot of stress.  So I say anything you can do to lessen that learning curve before entering grad school will only serve you better.  But of course the blindspot for each person’s learning curve can be different.  If you’re already familiar with software then sketch away.  I’d also experiment and look at different representation techniques that combine both digital and analog mediums.  My $0.02.

Apr 27, 11 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
I_wasn't_even_there!

worth every penny

Apr 27, 11 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
modelcitizen

Can anyone recommend a Architectural history sequence in the NYC area? Or something online?

May 17, 11 6:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: