Archinect
anchor

So what did we learn at the office this week??

curt clay

...for me it was learning about solar transmittance, reflectance and absorptance levels in order to specify the right fabrics for electronic roller shades..

... and figuring out where exactly Libreville, Gabon is in Western Africa.

Jun 30, 06 9:10 am
AP

...how to watch the world cup on ESPN360.com

...how to hook up the water line to the new refridgerator

Jun 30, 06 9:17 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

I learned that one client is very talented at making and photographing painted clay landscape feature models.

Jun 30, 06 11:53 am  · 
 · 
PetePeterson

...about the new provincial code coming fall 2006, so exciting!

Jun 30, 06 11:57 am  · 
 · 
samsonoio

. . . how to hang my solar powered ipod charger out the window of out 32nd story office, to get more direct light. (Well, ok, I lied. The intern did it for me because I was too scared of tying the knot incorrectly, having it plummet to the ground and kill someone.)

The charger is the black windmill-blade-like object in the lower right-hand corner.

Jun 30, 06 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Not in the office this week myself, but samsonoio I love, love that picture!

Jun 30, 06 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I have become an expert on ANSI A117.1-1998 Chapter 10 and designed about 30 unique unit bathrooms to meet it.

Jun 30, 06 4:43 pm  · 
 · 

That the city of Inglewood recognizes that not everyone is entitled to have a huge car. But they're still dicks.

That even when I come up with a brilliant solution to a problem that REALLY bothers me, my boss will decide that it's not really a problem and take it in another direction, because it wasn't HIS idea.

Jun 30, 06 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

1A... that framers are completely lost if you don't dimension to face of stud.

1B... that contractors had better pay their framers on time, or there will be consequences.

2... clients with random tendencies can and will keep you awake at night.

3... that there are solar powered ipod chargers.

Jun 30, 06 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
TED

having just got back from the pub i learned once again - italy cheats at footie. or they are just wonderful actors.

Jun 30, 06 6:15 pm  · 
 · 

I learnt that work is secondary to football when world cup comes around. As well that everyone is an expert on the sport despite not knowing when the 18yd box is. Odd that an international sport still uses imperial vs metric eh? How much is that in metric anyhow?

Jul 1, 06 3:16 am  · 
 · 

fifa rules of the game book measures the field in meters. 18 yards is just a translation

Jul 1, 06 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
can?

Riding bus for an hour every day to work and back to home
(especailly in LA) is impossible.... And if you are working 15 hours a day. And if the bus is passing through downtown and koreatown (viva la line 28)

Jul 1, 06 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
can?

Riding bus for an hour every day to work and back to home
(especailly in LA) is impossible.... And if you are working 15 hours a day. And if the bus is passing through downtown and koreatown (viva la line 28)

Jul 1, 06 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Never trust a Zoning Officer! There are all Power Freaks!

Jul 1, 06 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Strawbeary: You want to share those unique designs? Were they based upon the International Building Code 2003 along with ANSI -1998 Chapter 10? R2 Occupancy which required Type A and Type B units? I have been trying to figure out how the heck they classifiy
camp cabins? I have 4 buildings inwhich each have an occupancy of 28 campers each. Each cabin is split into two units so really 14 campers per bathroom. I'm wondering if each cabin has to be accessible, or if I can make one building accessible and call it a day. That would give me two accessible cabins.

Jul 1, 06 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

This week I learned how to add my boss's e-mail address to Outlook's "Blocked Senders List".

Jul 1, 06 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
Becker

... that it takes a "traffic engineer" consultant 12 months to tell you the driveways are not wide enough... 1 week before submission to council

Jul 1, 06 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

+

=

Jul 2, 06 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Becker

sheesh. busy week nevermore ;)

Jul 2, 06 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
Darren Hodgson

That I'm actually rather proficient at AutoCAD after taking a company wide CAD test and gaining 92%

Jul 3, 06 10:10 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

that u never have to change a beach weekend for staying working, nothing u do on a weekend at the office cannot be done monday first half of day

Jul 3, 06 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

that taking a vacation day on the monday before the 4th of july is really a total waste because nothing is getting done at the office anyway, so why not waste 8 hours on archinect AND get paid for it.

Jul 3, 06 1:41 pm  · 
 · 

exactly randar!!!!!!!!

happily wasting 8 hours away here myself...

Jul 3, 06 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I'll second that AP and R82!!!!!

There is nothing for me to do (and one more week of this before the next project starts) and today isn't a holiday for the firm.

Eight hours of PAID archinecting and portfolioing - Yippee!

the office is nice a cool - ahhhhh, and the phones won't ring...

Anybody have connections to Minneapolis???
Gotta move there in the fall with my wife, so would like inside info for the job search....

Jul 3, 06 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

I learned that before my boss leaves town for the four day weekend he should deposit our paychecks. We were supposed to get paid on the first. Still nothing.

Kinda hard to enjoy the holiday weekend with no funds. :(

Jul 3, 06 5:03 pm  · 
 · 

that I just passed my asapm project management certification. Now I'm a triple threat, architect, PM, and....uhmmm....uhmm....shit; thought I had hit the trifecta.

Oh and I also learned not to respond to text messages during office hours from people you'd rather not talk to.

Oh thanks dots! I had my suspicion...good to have it confirmed.
Living in Gin, I think I need to learn how to do that with my director's email addie

Jul 3, 06 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
curt clay

....reviewing door hardware submittals has to be the most boring, mind-numbing task of all.

Jul 6, 06 10:43 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

an entire spilled cup of coffee really leaves a stain

Jul 6, 06 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
curt clay

I can offer you some door hardware submittal drawings to sop that coffee up...

Jul 7, 06 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

thanks curt i used my own.

Jul 7, 06 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

that by the time I finish CD's, the client is just starting to look at the drawings and wants to change a whole bunch of stuff.

Jul 7, 06 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

I hear ya Strawbeary - one of my clients just decided (a week away from getting the building permit) that they'd like us to re-design the entire third floor addition we've proposed for their house. Needless to say, this will require almost a complete redo of the structural system/analysis and approved amendments to the permit by the city. The clients seem to think that these "adjustments" (the client's words, not mine) can just happen overnight...

On the bright side, at least they didn't wait until it was under construction to make significant changes - that could get ugly...

Jul 7, 06 3:07 pm  · 
 · 

This week, I learned how enjoyable the office can be when there are no principals or associates in it!

Jul 7, 06 3:21 pm  · 
 · 

...that having a holiday in the middle of the week really screws with you.

...that a lot of archinecters have a strange fixation with the career trajectory of one Mr. Joshua Prince-Ramus.

...that it is becoming popular for men to hyphenate their names with their wives maiden names a la the aforementioned JP-R.

Jul 7, 06 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
samsonoio

I learned that no matter how clearly you spell out job qualification requirements, 75% of the job applicants won't have those on their resume.

I also learned how NOT to write a cover letter for a job I am applying too . . . one good thing from having to read all the terrible ones I've seen this week.

Jul 7, 06 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
samsonoio

Still have NOT learned how to spell correctly however.

Have learned the importance of spell-checking said cover letter.

Jul 7, 06 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
enzo76

1. cutting corners to meet a tight budget will cost more in the end.
2. having just one ally makes all the difference.
3. wood housekeeping pads and gas fired boilers don't mix.

Jul 7, 06 9:26 pm  · 
 · 

4 interns and an engineer does not equal one architect

Jul 17, 06 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

+

=

Jul 21, 06 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
Darren Hodgson

Nevermore, I think I can see the troublesome factor in both your equations.

Solution = Take out the AutoCAD

Jul 21, 06 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I love almosta Architects as Clients, when they have a great Idea! Which is plundered by the local building inspector......I just let it run its course....cause they always know better than you as the Professional. I just smile...and smile and smile when the inpector is saying, "no, no, no" Then I hand the code book to the client and say it is all in here buddy, and I do remind him on site changes do cost money.

Jul 21, 06 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

What I learned in the office this week is that finding a PA in the north suburbs of Chicago, is going to be a long process.

Jul 28, 06 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I learned today that I am apparently now considered a Project Manager in the eyes of my firm. I say "apparently" because no one here has formal titles except for the 3 owners, so I found out because our admin person mentioned it to me in the middle of a discussion.

It's kind of a weird feeling, mainly because when I was an intern I looked at PMs and thought they were big shit. I don't feel like big shit.

Jul 28, 06 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I learned that from now on I should tell the HVAC contractor to price everything as hard duct, not flexible, because then I won't have to make him tear out all the stupid flex duct when I want my soffits to be smaller.

Congrats on your promotion, DubK!

Jul 28, 06 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i learned how to format door tags and keynotes in autocad 2007

Jul 28, 06 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
e

ms. K you are big shit. you earned your shit now take pride in it. congrats.

Jul 28, 06 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I learned that if your firm owes you four months of back pay, they are probably never going to pay you.

Jul 28, 06 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

thanks e and lb. I learned two new things reading this thread just now! (I had no idea there was already an autocad 2007...)

Jul 28, 06 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
kissy_face

things witnessed this week-

-talking loudly and with authority does hide incompetence forever. After a while people start to notice that you do lots of delegating and little actual work. This is the 3rd time this person has taken off at deadline time (and this is the 3rd time that the deadline has been pushed bad). My ears were burning and they weren't even talking about me.

-Please get a drawing list and sketchout your pages before you get started. 2 weeks before CDs are issued is not the time to find out that you are missing like 6 sections and a million details.

-colored concrete is really cool.

Jul 28, 06 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
James Meyer

don't expect any credit when you help a supervisor solve a problem they didn't understand and had been working all week.... just rememer how much fun you will have being a new born cynic as you watch them run to their boss to show what they did... grr

Jul 28, 06 8:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: