Archinect
anchor

So what did we learn at the office this week??

n_

wait, i should follow up with:

i learned how expensive 3 form is.

Jan 31, 07 8:38 pm  · 
 · 

true marlowe, i work in 'dar', r u in Perkins+Will ?

Feb 1, 07 6:20 am  · 
 · 
some person

I reviewed a concrete mix design today that had cement from Cemex. I googled Cemex to make sure that they provide portland cement and not a cement substitute like NewCem.

It turns out that they make cement AND clinker.

Clinker?

From Wiki: "In the manufacture of Portland cement, clinker is the solid material produced by the cement kiln stage that has sintered into lumps or nodules, typically of diameter 1-10 mm."

I've also learned a lot about Admixture Type C ASTM-494. I still can't figure out why it's not in our spec, while the other types of admixtures are. Neither the structural engineer nor the spec writer know why, either... *shrugg*

Feb 2, 07 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
some person

I just reviewed a testing and inspection report for structural steel. It contained the following phrase:

"Checking of column plumb utilizing a boozoka bob."

I thought they were pulling my chain - trying to see who was paying attention. Apparently not, although they spelled it wrong, apparently.

May 12, 07 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
curt clay

when designing a building using "thin brick" if you're REALLY interested in helping save money, you can module your building to accept 16" high by 4'-0" wide modules as these can be picked up by one person and set into place saving the number of crane picks and time. If the choice is to set them into mortar, the maximum size of the structural steel support panel that can be picked up by two people (this is the part that goes in front of the rain screen) is 4'-0" by 4'-0".

now lets see if the contractor and client can acknowledge that we'll save everyone money if they pay us to recourse the building...

Jul 30, 07 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
cf

Clear floor area under a sink in a one person handicap restroom does not have to be a perpendicular approach.

Jul 30, 07 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

that permit drawings in jersey must be crimped with the seal after being signed by our principal, yet i left out the first part and sent them to a consultant anyways....

what a bad week

Jul 30, 07 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
cadalyst

Historic Perservation Review Board's... Are the devil...

Jul 30, 07 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
lmnop15

That Historic Preservation rules are a good way to tease an engineer.

Jul 30, 07 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito
Jul 30, 07 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

these should be no-brainers, but i'm young and learning...

1. don't get too comfortable with your contractor/s

2. no matter how comfortable you are with your contractor/s, don't trust them!

Aug 24, 07 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Cris: do tell your specific examples.

I hear you. There is one girl who works for my GC who seems to be 100% committed to generating change orders (no joke). I tried to establish a cordial relationship with her, but now I've come to realize that anytime I get an email from her, it means she is fishing for change order back-up.

Aug 24, 07 8:58 pm  · 
 · 

Today, I finally mastered an important skill: the ability to tell my project manager, "no, you screwed that one up." without making him angry. I've been working on that one for a long time...

Aug 27, 07 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

When searching for occupany type in the International Building Code...the poor Bastards just gave up....It is missing about a million different kinds of occupancies...and when they tell you how many occupants you will most likely have in a space....well....those boys been smoking to much crack!

If you don't believe me....please classify a car wash....or a fire station...

Aug 27, 07 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

that interior decorators dont know shit

Aug 27, 07 8:57 pm  · 
 · 

don't let the biatches climb up your ass!!

Aug 27, 07 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

The difference between "termination for clause" and "termination for convenience".

Sunday night reading a potential contract.

Oct 14, 07 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Um, oops, I mean "...for cause" not clause. My head is spinning.

Oct 14, 07 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you're so glamourous lb!

Oct 14, 07 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I learned that it is easier to answer an RFI "Yeh, yeh, that's what I meant, BOZO!" (in more or less words) than to draw and coordinate the drawings/details/specs right in the first place to avoid the RFI.

Then, after you answer the RFI you go to your best buddy in the next cubicle and tell him how stupid the contractor is. Then you tell contractor jokes for the next half an hour till the next RFI rears it's ugly head.

(I'm learning some nasty habits - FUCKIT, let's go get a beer!)

Oct 30, 07 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I see you've taken my old position at my last firm. How's that been working out?

Oct 30, 07 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I learned if you don't like your office go find a new location that makes the staff happy. Just moved into our new location and realy like the improved setting.

Oct 30, 07 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

that interior decorators still dont know shit

Oct 30, 07 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

that if you snack on food 1/2 an hour before lunch, you can take your lunch break and go to the record store and buy a bunch of new cds

Oct 30, 07 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

That if you face your monitor alway from your employers. you can pretty much do anything.

Oct 30, 07 7:02 pm  · 
 · 

that if you let the contractor buy you a hamburger at lunch in a local beer joint in a rural town, you may not feel good in a few hours - or the next day.

Oct 31, 07 7:26 am  · 
 · 
some person

I felt like reviving this thread.

Put two common architectural words together to get a mind-blowing concept:

structural soil

...although I hear it's expensive.

May 11, 08 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I've learned that maybe it's just time to move on.

Is anyone hiring?

May 12, 08 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

From the AIA newsletter, I leaned that there exists a scent delivery market.

I'm speechless at how indulgent this is - there goes one of my five senses.

May 16, 08 11:47 am  · 
 · 

I learned I look damn good in bib overalls.

May 16, 08 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

I learned that according to the nyc zoning resolution definitions, an adult eating and drinking establishment is:

"an establishment which regularly features live performances which are characterized by an emphasis on 'specified anatomical areas' or 'specified sexual activities' or... employees who, as part of their employment, regularly expose to patrons 'specified anatomical areas."

and to clear up some of the defined terms there:

"specified sexual activities are (i) human genitals in a state of sexual stimulation or arousal (ii) actual or simulated acts of human masturbation, sexual intercourse or sodomy, or (iii) fondling or other erotic touching of human genitals, pubic region, buttock, anus, or female breast"

"specified anatomical areas are: (i) less then completely and opaquely concealed: (aa) human genitals, pubic region, (bb) human buttock, anus, or (cc) female breast below a point immediately above the top of the aureole; or (ii) human male genitals in a discernibly turgid state, even if completely and opaquely concealed"

damn! is it getting hot in here?

May 16, 08 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
curt clay

I learned how to reject a grievance from a union employee.

May 16, 08 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
pishta

I learned that you need to reiterate about three times what is being demolished to a boss who suffers from ADD. Or else what the client thinks there addition will look like is not what it will turn out like.

May 16, 08 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I was called out to a job yesterday by the owner. The contractor was
questioning my design, as I was told it would not work. So I went to the site and looked the situation over and said I don't think we have
a problem but I will go and back check my field measurements and my proposed design. I didn't have the file with me at the time. So I went back to the office and pulled up the drawings on the computer and pulled some additonal dimensions and there was no problem. So I took out my $100.00 electronic tape measurer and my 30 foot
back up Stanley and measured it again and I was within a hair on a nat's ass. I have no idea as to what the contractor was measuring, but I did inform him before leaving that there is not a square wall in this whole damn building and if he has any other questions please call. I explained to the owner I sleep alot better knowing that everything works as drawn. So I will sleep good tonight.

May 16, 08 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

The local building code for my project will not allow cable handrails in commercial settings. Something about a "ladder effect"

May 16, 08 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

dont start drinking at noon...

May 16, 08 9:11 pm  · 
 · 

tuna -

check the new ky code, you must be looking at the older one. i think the 'ladder effect' reg is gone.

May 16, 08 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

SW - The project is in Ohio and we actually called the building dept. to double check :o/ Thanks though for your help.

May 16, 08 9:48 pm  · 
 · 

aw shucks.

May 16, 08 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
minimalista

*bump for liberty bell!*

I learned that a mechoshade shade pocket is a potentially good way to mitigate an elevation difference between a ceiling plane and the exterior window mullion/spandrel frit.

Jan 31, 10 9:01 pm  · 
 · 

I learnt that even the most attention deficient students will sit still and listen to an 1:30 hr lecture is it includes fantastic images of architecture (shout out the folks at archinect for making it possible)

Jan 31, 10 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I learned that there really is such a thing as a lovely security nut.

Jan 31, 10 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
minimalista

techno: A little secret: eye candy images also work on adults :) And do you have a link to the presentation?

lb: I'm truly not familiar with security nuts, although they look cool and useful. On what kind of architectural application would one use them?

Jan 31, 10 10:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: