Archinect
anchor

REX interview

ClemsonDnB

I have an interview with REX in two weeks and was wondering if anyone else has had an interview with them so far or with OMA ny before they split. Kinda nervous as this is my first real interview, don't really know what to expect. Any suggestions or comments? thanks guys!

Jun 25, 06 4:37 pm
moratto

Be thoroughly prepared for intense questioning. I was not. Good luck.

Jun 25, 06 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

make sure you mention lemmy caution!!!

Jun 25, 06 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
Becker

don't act nervous. practice your calm and collected voice. tell prince ramus you like his new haircut.

Jun 25, 06 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

forget your portfolio and bring your rolodex of potential client contacts. that's what any startup firm really needs, i.e., to keep the pipeline packed with projects. manage that and you'll be on the fast-track to partner status even if you draw like someone with a crippled hand.

Jun 26, 06 10:34 am  · 
 · 

don't act nervous? i would much rather hire someone that is nervous in an interview. i means that you actually care.

...but do compliment the haircut

Jun 26, 06 10:42 am  · 
 · 
bubpip

it also means you are not confident.

ask him if you can become a partner in a few years to start another branch office somewhere else and then.. oh no don't.

confidence and attitude is the key in most interviews. good luck.

Jun 26, 06 10:54 am  · 
 · 
orEqual

Can you take a punch?

Jun 26, 06 11:47 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

make sure you talk about the leibnizian concepts of monadology as applied to the deleuzian idea of the fold and the obvious connection to the intention of the architect hero(ie lemmy caution) in struggle against the hubris of the architectural community(ie alpha60)...or viseyversey

Jun 26, 06 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

lol you guys are making me more nervous :P

Jun 26, 06 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

bring kneepads.

Jun 26, 06 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
AP

puddles, i know a quadrapalegic guy who draws beautifully. the lines are a little shakey, but he manages...

good luck Clemson. just be yourself, if you fit in, great, if not, you won't enjoy working there anyway...

Jun 26, 06 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i said a crippled hand, not a broken neck...but point well-taken. i know too many disabled people to make fun of them, even inadvertently . my apologies to all.

Jun 26, 06 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
AP

no indirect offense taken, your comment just reminded me of this guy that was a year ahead of me in school...although he has very limited use of his hands, he's able to sketch some incredible stuff...

Jun 26, 06 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

Is there any other advice than just be yourself, be honest, and be clear? I mean, either the job is a good fit, or it's not. If your interview goes badly, isn't it is as much a clue to you as to the employer that maybe it's not the best place for you?

If you don't know the firm well enough already to know what they might be looking for, then either do more research or pick a firm that you know better.

For instance, if you're interested in REX because you want the big bucks, well, then you're probably barking up the wrong tree. If you want to work there because it's a (rising) starchitect firm, that's forgivable but not the best reason. If you're interested because you admire their design approach and want to learn from them or because you love spending long hours building models out of rigid polystyrene foam, well, rock on.
wers?"

You got the interview right? Just be honest.

Jun 26, 06 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

wers? Yes, wers.

Jun 26, 06 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
j-turn

a shakey hand is almost desirable ... he probably gets the perfect cornell squiggle, which is a homage to colin rowe's hand - that shook from too much drinking.

Jun 26, 06 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

I've always wondered where the shakey sketch thing came from. I've even had contractors ask me why architects draw like that. Now I can tell them.

Jun 26, 06 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

hey, how did the interview go?

Sep 5, 06 3:40 am  · 
 · 

phone in advance and ask if there's somewhere you can land your 'copter

Sep 5, 06 3:44 am  · 
 · 
jackhogan

i'm starting in rex on thursday - anyone else working for them?

Sep 5, 06 5:13 am  · 
 · 

congrats on the job, jack!

i am sure it will be an very interesting experience for you.

Sep 5, 06 5:33 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

i know a popular schoolblogger is also going to work with them... but im not the one to reveal it he/she should.... im just a friend who knows

Sep 5, 06 6:01 am  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

so jack, i assumed you did well on the interview. wanna tell us more about it?

Sep 5, 06 9:15 am  · 
 · 
cloak and dagger

jack- i might take a position there, not sure though. what's your position going to be? just curious. you're cool with the office only having three projects in process right now? kinda makes me a little nervous...

Sep 7, 06 3:55 pm  · 
 · 

i think she outed herself on her blog MADianito.

Sep 7, 06 9:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: