Archinect
anchor

Jobsite Pic of The Day

eastcoastarch03

i took this the other day at a site survey

Aug 30, 07 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

ummm... i think that they missed the wall with that conduit...

Aug 30, 07 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

i have no idea what they were doing, you should see the thermostats, they're in a similar fashion hanging down through the act

Aug 30, 07 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I think there must be some other major problems in this project....starting with the general contractor stiffing the electrical contractor....note: "not to be corrected until paid in full and then some."

Aug 30, 07 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

This guy has really been working hard the last couple of days:

Sep 1, 07 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Beautiful snooker. I've had one right outside the front door sidelight the last few nights - hope s/he is back building again tonight!

Sep 1, 07 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
Watermelon
Sep 2, 07 2:11 am  · 
 · 
Watermelon
Sep 2, 07 2:14 am  · 
 · 

...and, by the way, i had nothing to do with it.

Sep 2, 07 7:06 am  · 
 · 

that sign reminded me of this story from our local newspaper a few months back... it's the opposite situation though... the husband is trying to apologize...

and that story even has a bizarre coincidental connection to this thread because the people own an construction company that was the concrete subcontractor for my swimming pool project that i've posted previously... they built the big concrete entrance canopy...

Sep 2, 07 9:14 am  · 
 · 
FRO

Though some of you might like this unusual project.

Renovation project smack in the middle of a National Register of Historic Places District. Currently an amalgam of 5 different cabins and sheds, dating back to the mid 1800s, stuck together over the past hundred years. Locally known as 'the telescope house.'

Entire building will be lifted 4' next Monday to allow a foundation to be built under it. House will be lifted by 2 huge steel beams running front to back, supporting a temporary LVL floor system which will be reused in the permanent floor construction.

vertical LVL's are to stabilizt the front module, which is squared log construction. Hole in foreground is one of 6 dug to footer depth for cribbing stacks which will support the steel beams. Note existing foundation condition and removed "floor joists."

Sep 27, 07 11:50 am  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

more kitchen stuff:

a salumeria case and cheese counter...

Sep 27, 07 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

fyi - the dining room and seating are off to the right in this image...and on the other side of the glass enclosed display is a banquette, up against the brick...

Sep 27, 07 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

mighty, stop!! I'm trying to lose weight!!

FRO, I love your project, it looks like an amazing undertaking, one of those engineering feats that, while technologically worked out in every detail, still relies on good old human strength to make work properly.

Also, the first image of the building makes me think of orange racing brakes peeking through a wheel. Very cool looking!

Sep 27, 07 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

Sep 28, 07 12:02 am  · 
 · 
THEaquino
Sep 28, 07 12:04 am  · 
 · 
THEaquino

I give up

Sep 28, 07 12:05 am  · 
 · 
AP
Sep 28, 07 12:11 am  · 
 · 
THEaquino

Thank you AP...

Oct 5, 07 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

More pictures...

I have more on my Flickr page

Oct 5, 07 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

those are some bold moment frames aquino, cool stuff.

Oct 5, 07 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Great photos, aquino!

And really? "Dog-gnawed"?

Oct 5, 07 10:10 pm  · 
 · 

that's a nice pile of dirt - something my dog and I would love to play in...if only I had a dog. Maybe one of you guys would allow me to borrow your pooche and get um dirty! And no i'm not on clean up duty :)

Oct 6, 07 1:36 am  · 
 · 
THEaquino

lb: that's our joke in the office. we're not happy with it. I guess they forgot to vibrate the concrete.

actually, we had planned on leaving it bare, but now we have to cover it. any ideas? there's going to be 2" blue stone for the finish decking if that helps.

I love the steel and paralams...they look awesome. too bad they get covered up.

Oct 6, 07 12:51 pm  · 
 · 

here's an update on my 26,000 SF recreation center...

we're almost completely closed in... FINALLY... they're about 2 months behind the original schedule right now... and everything is dragging... it's been frustrating...

the south elevation

this 2nd floor volume creates a long covered entry porch

a view of the 2nd floor volume from the inside of the west wing of the building

a closer view of the zinc shingles that sheath the 2nd floor volumes

this is the main lobby stair... the landing floats and the treads/risers are a continuous sheet of folded steel...

corner detail of the stair railing...

Oct 8, 07 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
AP

lookin good phil. is this wra or someone else?

Oct 8, 07 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

yep... it's wannemacher russell architects...

Oct 8, 07 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
Oct 22, 07 10:03 am  · 
 · 
Oct 22, 07 10:04 am  · 
 · 

aw, hell.

Oct 22, 07 10:04 am  · 
 · 
Oct 22, 07 10:05 am  · 
 · 

there.

Oct 22, 07 10:05 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

It's all in the details:

This is good:

This is not:

Nov 1, 07 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

the aquino

that is beautiful

Nov 1, 07 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Yeah LB, that poplar is going to get a bit moist...can you run the tile over the door frame?

Nov 1, 07 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I think we're going to trim back this door frame to only 2" wide, run the wall tile to the frame, then hope the silicon seal of the glass shower door to the tile will keep the frame from getting wet. Or, we may introduce a vertical strip of Corian the width of the shower pan stop to join the tile to the door frame and frame the glass to that. I think I'm leaning toward the latter even though it introduces a new material - Corian is really good for this kind of application!

Nov 1, 07 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Nov 1, 07 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell
Nov 1, 07 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

What's this, Poczatek?

Nov 1, 07 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

a few weeks ago i found this...

inside of this...

p.s. the preview function is not working for me...apologies if it looks weird when i hit submit...

Nov 1, 07 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

thanks, I just threw up a little in my mouth

Nov 1, 07 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

mirrors on the ceiling! i'm positive this was the party room when everything iconic (besides the stained glass) was stripped from the interior .

Nov 1, 07 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
AP

lb, i think it's a proposal for what was explained above - running the tile over the door frame on that side...

stephanie, preview only works on the first page of a thread. that tile job rocks...are those mirrors on the ceiling ;-)

my contribution:

upper east side brownstone...

Nov 1, 07 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

oh, and my other project...

Nov 1, 07 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

Update on the house...

Nov 1, 07 5:25 pm  · 
 · 

I'm so not understanding the stud details...what happened to those footers?

Nov 1, 07 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i'd love a whirlpool with a mirrored ceiling!

Nov 1, 07 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

AP...that's a brownstone! - you'd be amazed what people (mostly educated by realtors) call brownstones in Chicago. Ironspot brick bungalows, etc....Most of the real brownstones have been demolished and/or have significantly deteriorated - it's soft and doesn't fare well in this climate. Thats a real beauty and the stone still appears really crisp for what must be a 150 year-old building. And that cornice....that'd be long gone and replaced with CMU or other non-matching brick here.

Nov 1, 07 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

Those aren't footers, it's just the blocking for the stud bays.

Nov 2, 07 11:15 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

That's a nice picture, aquino, with the blocking all lazy in the stud bays.

Nov 2, 07 11:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: