Archinect
anchor

CD Swap!

cool, then your new ones are almost done. just gotta write some notes. you're a challenge because (based on the journey conversation above) i don't know the likelihood of you knowing the originals! ah well.

Jul 16, 07 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Can I throw my name in the pot for the next swap?

Jul 16, 07 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
dekrpto

yeah i'm with it

Jul 17, 07 12:52 am  · 
 · 

aml, your discs ("an embarrassment of ripoffs") are finished and ready to send! but i don't have your address anymore. please email it to me again?

Aug 3, 07 8:13 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

aquino email your address as i am throwing something together for you!

Aug 3, 07 8:49 am  · 
 · 
aml

steven, just sent you an email.

liberty bell, your cd [or maybe cdsss] are not ready yet but should be ready this weekend. email me your address please!

Aug 3, 07 9:52 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

aml, I'm looking through my gmail for your email, will send it momentarily. Take your time, don't work on it this weekend if you'd rather be on the beach!

n_, I just sent you an email.

Aug 3, 07 9:58 am  · 
 · 
n_

Am I sending my future mix to Liberty or Vado?

Aug 3, 07 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
n_

liberty, I just replied via [i] the [/] GMail.

Aug 3, 07 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Oops. Not my day.

I was working in the office until 2 am.

Aug 3, 07 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

aml: just dropped your discs off at the post office!

Aug 3, 07 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

...while talking to liberty bell on the phone about how i get to see her tomorrow. oh, and i get to see wonderk on sunday! it's an archinect-centric weekend. i'll go tell thread central.

Aug 3, 07 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

n_ I just emailed you - if you're OK with the new arrangement, you're sending to vado.

Aug 3, 07 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
aml

ok, got all emails and actually i'm on the beach [or, right in front of it] as we speak [was this a random guess or have i really been so outspoken about going to the beach every weekend?]. but i do plan on playing with your mix this afternoon, lb- and just beware that it will take about 10 days to get to you from here.

Aug 4, 07 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Seeing Steven tonight inspired me to get my mix together - and it turns out it's not scraping the bottom of my collection (to come up with 18 covers) as badly as I thought it would be! But I still may not do ALL covers, I may do some covers and some that sound like they should be covers.

Of course Steven has come up with around 60 songs, not a single one of them Cake!

Beach time rules, aml - send it when the weather turns cold again.

Aug 5, 07 12:20 am  · 
 · 

good late arrival to my cd player: just got the new shivaree all-covers album. unfortunately didn't make your discs, aml.

...don't stop 'til you get enough...

Aug 5, 07 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
aml

hmmm. ended up not doing anything at all during the weekend. and the weather is no excuse- as i'm just a bit south of the equator, right now we're on our "cold" season [maybe 16 celcius at night]. but it's not sunny at the beach anyways, just nice and relaxing.

bah, i'm so ignorant. don't know nothing about shivaree. i've got the opposite problem than you steven, i overedit everything. AND i have a limited selection- not that many mp3's. but i'm doing two cds, one a local summer mix because i couldn't let it go, and the other a summer cover mix. hope it works. hope you like, lb, but it's still on the works!

Aug 6, 07 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hi aml :)

Aug 6, 07 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
aml

hi vado : )

Aug 7, 07 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

ok my cd mix was coming along quite nicely until i did a google search on a song that i included on my mix to find out who did the original (as it was a popular tune to cover) well turns out the song i wanted to use is the original. so that has temporarily slowed me down until i find the version i want to use.

also, steven i am using a cover that you sent me and lb i may use one that you put on a cd for me as well. although im trying to be creative :( it ain't ez for me ya know.

Aug 12, 07 8:19 pm  · 
 · 

perfect vado, your cover will be a 'cover'.

Aug 12, 07 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

quixotica: Please forgive me as life has gotten in the way of making your CD. I should be able to have something in the mail by the end of the week.

Chili: I have as of yet not received the "One" mix.

Aug 12, 07 9:02 pm  · 
 · 

is katze still around. i haven't given her an address yet.

Aug 13, 07 7:49 am  · 
 · 
quixotica

Don't worry aquino. I am just as behind as you are.

Aug 13, 07 9:21 am  · 
 · 
aml

ok, lb's cd mix is done and mailed... i'll actually travel to the states next week and it would have gotten to you sooner if i had mailed it from there, but i thought you'd enjoy getting mail from ecuador and basically it would have screwed up the spirit of my cd cover [incidentally, it is the first time i do a cd cover for the swap, but it was only a 5 minute effort, so please don't expect much].

Aug 18, 07 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Vadoness, I am sending yours off on Monday. Check your mailbox is 3-5 business days.

Aug 18, 07 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
n_

^Check your mailbox in 3-5 business days.

Aug 18, 07 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

thanks n_____________________________________________________
i finished mine today. so it'll probably be mailed by labor day...
hi aml :)

Aug 18, 07 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
aml

hi vado

^^^^um... I'm actually traveling to the states.

Aug 18, 07 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
aml

: )

Aug 18, 07 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i should have sent you a new york new york cd!

Aug 18, 07 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

just burned mine and will send out soon. its listenable if you aren't too picky or have good taste.

Aug 22, 07 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I lied, Vado. I didn't mail it on Monday. I intended too but I keep forgetting to walk to the post office during my lunch. I'll do it soon. Promise.

Aug 22, 07 11:24 pm  · 
 · 

now how is aml supposed to get mine if it went there and she's here?!

Aug 23, 07 7:21 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

how does one get in on this swap?

Aug 23, 07 9:14 am  · 
 · 
n_

You have to give me a 100 bucks.

Or you can ask quixotica to add you to the next swap.

Welcome aboard.

Aug 23, 07 9:24 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

i'm an undergrad arch student, i dont have 100 bucks n_, haha

thanks, i'll email quixotica then

Aug 23, 07 9:26 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

eastcoast, just post your interest here when quixotica puts out the "Who wants to be involved n this swap" call.

n_, mine is done, I have been procrastinating and will burn it when I go home today at lunch and get it right in the mail!

Aug 23, 07 11:19 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

n___________________________________________________________, all week i've been anxiously looking in my mailbox. and then the anticipation(a song going on my next mix btw) turns to disappointment after finding nothing there. i may do a one song flip on mine after listening to it last night after burning it. or maybe not. either way it will be in the mail by the weekend.

Aug 23, 07 11:23 am  · 
 · 
n_

I feel you, eastcoastarch.

I am a working professionally and live rent-free. I still don't have 100 bucks.

Aug 23, 07 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

thanks n_______________________________________________________ .

Aug 25, 07 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
n_

This is my playlist for the Cover Mix. I was a little apprehensive about this album but thoroughly enjoyed creating it. Many of them are not direct covers but I was able to weasel them in by showing their relationship to covers.

Liberty Bell, I included a copy for you when I sent mine off. Sorry if I just spoiled the mix for you.

Flim The Bad Plus
Aphex Twin cover. A catchy little ditty.

Mushaboom Postal Service
Feist cover.

What a Fool Believes Postal Service
Doobie Brothers cover. This song makes me giggle.

You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go Madeleine Peyroux
Best Bob Dylan cover.

Computer Love Kraftwerk
Coldplay has a song that is heavily influenced by this song's melody. I opted to place the original version because I find it far superior to Coldplay's rendition.

I Melt with You Nouvelle Vague
Modern English cover. My significant other has been known to wake me up in the morning singing this song in my ear. She's unbeliavably cute. That's the mushiest thing I'll ever say on an online forum again. Promise.

It Could Have Been a Brilliant Career Belle + Sebastian
If I was in a band, we would cover this song.

Chicago Sufjan Stevens
I heard the Nashville Symphony cover this song and was left awestruck. Unfortunately, I can't get my hands on their version.

Breathe Me Sia
No one is allowed to cover this song. No one. Ever. For any Six Feet Under fanatic (like myself), covering this song would be sacrilegious.

Wildcat Ratatat
This is the one song that has nothing to do with a cover song; therefore, it is somehow related to this cover mix. That was my senseless rationale for placing this song on the lineup.

Wraith Pinned to the Mist and Other Games Of Montreal
Does this song sound familiar and you can't quite pin why? Are you craving a steak dinner? If you answered 'yes', it means you have probably seen the numerous Outback Steakhouse commercials that cover this song's melody. Moral of this story: Even hipsters sell their soul for a fat paycheck.

Video Killed the Radio Star Ben Folds
Do you remember when MTV used to play music videos? If so, you may also remember that this original was the first video ever played on MTV.

Suddenly Everything Has Changed Postal Service
Usually I am not a big fan of placing two songs by the same artist on a mixed CD. However, I lost all my inhibitions with this mix.

A Case of You Tori Amos
Joni Mitchell cover.

Aug 27, 07 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

its not on my cd, but waylon jennings' version of "bridge over troubled waters" is pretty freaking great.

Aug 28, 07 9:34 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Thanks n_!!! I have yours done and will try to mail tomorrow.....sorry for the delay, but I'm glad to see I didn't include any of the same songs on my mix for you!

vado, we need to coordinate our calendars so I can get my CD!

Aug 28, 07 9:48 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

no calender has been invented that would keep me from immediately penciling you in lb!

Aug 28, 07 10:14 am  · 
 · 
n_

No rush, LB. Take your time.

Aug 28, 07 10:29 am  · 
 · 
aml

ok, i'm back and steven's cds were waiting for me. i'll be listening to them all day tomorrow. right now i'm in the time sucking labor of making up syllabie [sp?] for classes that start... er tomorrow.

lb, i sent your cds before leaving, they should be there by now? i feel so hopelessly unhip, the covers were rather hard for me so my cover mix is very old fashioned. but i also did a local mix that should have songs you've never heard. i also could not resist the fact that i had one song that was actually local and a cover, so i included it in one of the cds. but it just happens to be the marxist ode to che guevara, hasta siempre.

Sep 2, 07 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Aquino i mailed the cd yesterday. woohoo. i'm seriously digging n_________________________________________________________'s cd!

Sep 2, 07 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hi aml :) welcome home!!!

Sep 2, 07 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
aml

hi vado!!!

Sep 2, 07 9:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: