Archinect
anchor

What to drive or what not to...

BOTS

no. you made the new measurement but kept the old British names. Take what you like, reject what you don't - you won the war!

Jul 8, 04 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

TVR Tuscan S w/ Guam plates. Guy in Cincinnati has 1

Jul 8, 04 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
mbr

Calatrava, the new GT40 is amazing! I always loved them and recall in the late 80's when they were making 'knock offs', like the ERA GT40, that were 'real', and cost about twice what the new one does. Timeless design and probably a damn good investment (considering the timeless design).

Another consideration is an older 300ZX Twin Turbo (I've got one) or a RX7 (old one), and get one that has been spec'd out. I am considering buying my fathers 96 300ZX TT that is simply gorgeous. He got it with beautiful 3 piece rims and some Stillen goodies for $28k, with 18000 miles, in mint condition. There is nothing that looks better for less than 80k, imo, and they are damn reliable (mines got 108000 on it), fast, and much better looking than the new ones (again, my opinion).
I've seen older RX7s done up the same way that look amazing, but they are even smaller inside than the Zs and have a harsher ride.

You can't beat the reliability, performance, and looks for the cash.

Personally, I think those Elise's are pretty ugly. The Esprit (I forget the design house that designed them, but they are well known and have been around for decades) was a classic mid engine design that stil looks pretty fresh today. The new one's look like a kit car to me.

Can't go wrong, though, it's a good selection to choose from!

Jul 8, 04 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

you can pick up a used Ferrari 308 for pocket change these days

Jul 8, 04 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

the new elise looks like a shitty MR2 spyder...the older ones were so much better...same for the older espirit

im eyeing a '95 RX7...but people continually scare me about the maintenance issues with it...does anyone here have a first-hand idea about it?

Jul 9, 04 12:14 am  · 
 · 
calatrava

mbr, i know about the gt40. there was an exhibit at the geffen moca in l.a. about a year ago featuring some concept cars and pre-production models. they had the gt40 concept car there with a full presentation, video and graphics of the design of the new version and the history of the original. it was amazing! i also saw a documentary on the discovery channel which is probably the same video they showed at the exhibit. they showed the gt40 beating the ferrari maranello (maybe the modena, not sure) in all testing category. very cool!

i also like the 300zx twin turbo. you are absolutely right about the z being gorgeous even after all these years. i'm actually a big fan of the z's, except for the 260's. i almost bought a used 280 when i was 17 but i couldn't swing the payments. my last car was a used 200sx turbo, purchased from a close friend. my current car is an eagle talon turbo which to some who is not familiar is the distant cousin of the mitsu eclipse.

sameolddoctor, similar to you and mbr, i also like the rx7's, but since i'm not all that familiar with the rotary engine, i'm hesitant to buy one. it would be nice to know how to fix the car just in case i need to do it myself before i keep one in my garage.

Jul 9, 04 1:07 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

I agree with mdler, the TVR Tuscan S is a beautiful piece of work.

Don't know much about the components or the engine output, but the sure look pretty!!!

Too bad they dont sell them here in the states!

Jul 9, 04 2:09 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

Nothing like those small sports car engineers that are peppered throughout Britain - TVR, Lotus, Morgan.

TVR range at
http://www.tvr-eng.co.uk/

Jul 9, 04 6:03 am  · 
 · 
dia

Aaah, cars. I love them. If I was going to get something within your budget, I would consider the following:

Alfa 156 GTA

Jul 9, 04 6:24 am  · 
 · 
dia

Aaah, cars. I love them. If I was going to get something within your budget (or less), I would consider the following - bear in mind I am not a US resident so I dont know if you guys get all of these:

Alfa 156 GTA, Alfa 147 GTA or new Alfa GT Coupe
Mini Cooper S
Renault 182 Clio Sport
BMW 330D Coupe (as fast 0-100 as the petrol, but far more speed in the mid-range)
Ford Focus ST170
New Nissan Z

I use to be a fan of Saab, but ever siince they did a Saaburu, I have been turned off. Still, a nice, slightly used 9-5 Aero would be nice...

Jul 9, 04 6:36 am  · 
 · 
dia

sorry about the excessive posting - woops, did it again.

Jul 9, 04 6:38 am  · 
 · 
mdler

squirrely,

that is what the Guam plates are for.

a guy in Cincinnati has 3 new TVR's

Jul 9, 04 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Nissan Skyline r34

Jul 9, 04 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

noooo....saab 9-3

Jul 9, 04 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitect

I had an '86 RX-7, and it was the best car I've ever owned. You could be on the expressway and speed up about 10-20 mph to pass someone and the engine didn't make a peep...as if it were saying "Thank you sir, may I have another?" And I don't know why or how this is possible, but the exhaust even had a sweet smell to it.

Anyway, the maintenance on the engine wasn't bad (they don't wear the same way traditional piston-engines do, so it wasn't really an issue), it was everything else that was expensive. It cost me $800 to replace the exhaust when it went (y-pipe and two mufflers).

I've got my eye on the '04 RX8...

Jul 9, 04 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
mbr

I think parts on any of the cars he's looking at will cost a pretty penny. You get what you pay for, as they say. My exhaust (after market Stillen exhaust) cost about $2k, many years ago. I can't imagine a M3's or Porsches to be less!

I still think the old RX7 and Z looked much better than the new ones, handled better (the Z has a nice 4 wheel steering system), and were faster. The new ones were made to hit a niche market, not compete with the Corvette as the originals were, so they sacrificed a lot for the $$. Great cars for the money, but the old ones were simply great cars at any price range.

That said, I am waiting for the Twin Turbo version of the 350! Either that or a M6...

Jul 9, 04 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

got it mdlr....i simply fell in love with them when I saw them on the streets in europe my first time around (the TVR's), and later found myself "eyeballin'" a few on London streets whilst living there.

If I can afford me one....someday I will get me one

Jul 9, 04 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

snaritect, the sweet smell from the exhaust was from the buring of engine oil, which the rotatry engines do pretty frequently.

Contrary to what people say, i really like the new RX8 - though the first time i saw it, i was kinda repulsed-the design grows on you, i think. But its a real sweet car and they are coming up soon with a convertible version of it!

Jul 9, 04 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
Tectonic

Don't drive

Jul 9, 04 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
calatrava

mdler, the m14 looks sick!!!! wish they have it in the states. the front is reminiscent of the ferrari f40. another ford engine taking on the german and italian engineering!

Jul 10, 04 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
mbr

Indeed they are pretty nice looking and the numbers are amazing!

My only question would be if they are kit cars. Usually cars with those numbers are made in small quantities and are exempt from safety and emissions requirements (due to being a 'kit'). Not to say that's necessarily bad, but you can imagine how costly it is to continually 'smash' new cars for testing!
<Think of all those fake Ferrari Cal Spiders (a la Don Johnson) and fake Cobras in the late '80s. There have been only a few 'real' attempts to compete with Ferrari/Lambo/Porsche, only one I can think of was the 2 models of the Viper, that went for $600k in the 80s, and is bankrupt now.>

Jul 10, 04 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
http://www.spykercars.nl/

http://www.panozauto.com/

(AIV)

Jul 11, 04 7:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: