Archinect
anchor

Homes Not Jails

quixotica

Sorry, i just needed a discussion on here that didnt sound like i was reading it off of myspace or something. So anyway I just finished reading the book "homes not jails!" A fictional story based off the actual homes not jails organization, which, and im being as simplistic as possible here, is a loose knit organization whos motto is basically people need homes. Housing above all. I have always been fascinated with the homes not jails movement, who often times uses "criminal" means to obtain housing through squatting and other methods. Currently, there only seems to be three (at least three public) branches of homes not jails. in san fransisco, boston and washington D.C. I guess I'm just curious as to what you all feel about this group? Personally I am all for it, Everyone should have homes, and With me living in philadelphia, seeing new 6 figure condos going up next to abandoned buildings is just ludicrous when people are still sheltered in those abandoned doorways every night. How as architects could we further this group? Personally i would love to see a branch brought to Philadelphia. But how to organize one? its not like the many homeless all have regular means of contact by which to organize them, and going through soup kitchen channels would not work as this is obviously an "illegal" group. any thoughts?

www.homesnotjails.org

Mar 30, 06 5:14 pm
fenstre

I am so facinated with squatting. To my knowledge it's still legal in Britain (is it...any anglophiles here who can correct me?).

You might just need to hit the pavement with a group and talk to the people on the streets. Wouldn't the org. have some contacts that you could seek guidance from?

J

Mar 30, 06 5:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: