Archinect
anchor

UVA vs. UTA

mcf1983

UVA vs. UTA : Deciding between the two. I do not know all that much about either. If anyone can add some insight, rumor, special programs, rankings, job placement, anything about the differences other than location. I guess the open house will help most but random thoughts are oftene better than the spoon feeding you receive at an open house.

Mar 29, 06 2:47 pm
Post Nazi

You are deciding between the two but don't know much about either place??!!

No school for you!!

Mar 29, 06 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
mcf1983

Thanks for that. I have researched both, know people who have been there, but hearing from others is important too. I am used to hearing great things about each but from people at the schools. Looking for a different perspective. thanks dad.

Mar 29, 06 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
brujitadulce

UT Austin? (UTA is known in TX as UT-Arlington, which also has an arch. school)

i wish UT Austin had a open house - but they don't. you have to schedule your own visit and i felt somewhat on my own to find stuff and introduce myself - well totally on my own. which was fine - teachers and students were really welcoming.

i've written in other posts about my summer academy experience there - rundown is that facilities are great - austin is pretty great - the arch. school is centrally located on campus and you have great food/coffee/shopping/drinking all within walking distance - great for breaks from studio. UT does the vertical studio sequence - i think it's a rare way to run the studios - mixing students of different abilities in the studios. some love it and some don't.

good luck and if you end up at UT in the fall i'll see you there.

Mar 29, 06 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

yes, you will definitely confuse a lot of people if by UTA you mean UT-A(ustin). i will say that UT-arlington is not bad, but UT is where you are probably talking about.

are you asking about graduate or undergrad?

i went to UT because they sent me a pre-filled application, but did not regret it a bit. i also did summer academy -- it rocked. i did B.Arch so we didn't take vertical studios per se.

i loved my time at UT but the facilities blew when i was in school. we're a low-tax state and it showed. however, i have to say that i've been around there lately and things look to have improved, especially down in the dungeo--i mean, the computer lab. looks like they threw out all the powermac 6500s and the slow-as-christmas 11x17 scanner.

Mar 29, 06 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
walter_

i went to UVa undergrad, and know nothing about Texas...but UVa grad is a solid program - the professors at UVa are really amazing - they are extremely talented and are great teachers. The grad program is beginning to focus more on sustainable design and landscape (the arch and LA departments merged into 1 2 years ago). Overall, UVa is caught in the middle of a weird stage - my first year they were turning the program digital. But it seems as if the program is going back to a more traditional approach. There are definitely professors that will teach only experimental design (I think only as thesis advisors) but overall it is a great formalist, theory-based education. Charlottesville is an amazing town also - and the most beautiful campus you will ever see. The website kind of blows, feel free to email me with more questions, I will see if I can help...

Mar 29, 06 6:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: