Archinect
anchor

Expectation/Satisfaction Ratio

Geo

So what's the most dramatic for you,

of given lectures you have attended, who/whom fits the following criteria in terms of how you felt following a given lecture:

highest expectation/lowest satisfaction=?
lowest expectation/highest satisfaction=?

Mar 28, 06 11:35 pm
Cure

too bad u dont have highest exp/highest satis

or

lowest exp/ lowest satis

Mar 29, 06 2:29 am  · 
 · 
Geo

feel free to add it;

highest expectation/highest satisfaction=?
lowest expectation/lowest satisfaction=?

if it applies

Mar 29, 06 8:06 am  · 
 · 

i don't usually know what to expect going in. but lectures typically establish what i'm going to think of an architect from then forward.

i have always loved seeing eisenman speak. it's like performance art.

mcdonough and duany are both great evangelical speakers. mcdonough, however, you can leave and continue to believe what he's preached; it's supported out in the world and gives you a good starting place from which to think about sustainability. duany has you hooked the whole time he speaks. but then you leave and start thinking about what he said and it all falls apart. you have one of those, 'hey, wait a minute....' moments like after you've been cheated.

alberto perez-gomez spoke here last year. one of the best lectures ever, regarding what would seem to be a boring topic: architecture and ethics. and with no images.

if anyone was disappointing (expectations-wise) it was libeskind. not that he said things i disagreed with or i didn't like his work. it's just that his lecture was a slideshow 'these are my projects' kinda thing. i expect more than i can find in a magazine.

Mar 29, 06 8:21 am  · 
 · 
Cure

we had LTL from NY teach at U of H in texas, expectations high, satisfaction high

Mar 29, 06 11:12 am  · 
 · 
6nuew

i wish i had a US education. I want to be one of you!

Mar 29, 06 11:24 am  · 
 · 
Cure

i want to study overseas. where are u from ManuG?

Mar 29, 06 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
6nuew

I'm from Bangalore, India.. and we severly lack the international design culture you guys enjoy.

Mar 29, 06 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
Cure

become an international student, or is that very difficult? good luck :)

Mar 29, 06 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

I graduated 9 years ago and at this point I find that I have very few specific memories of most of the lectures I attended through 7 years of architecture and design school. Dan Hoffman is one lecturer I do remember as being quite inspiring. Cecil Balmond is another. Most of the others that have been mentioned already were people I can remember visually - but nothing at all that they said seems to have stuck. Some that I remember as particularly bad or disappointing: Rem Koohaas, Philip Johnson.

Mar 29, 06 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

expectation/safisfaction ratio probably the lowest working after graduation

Mar 29, 06 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
strugs

ManuG -- I appreciate the comment and wish you have the fortune to hear some of these people speak -- I think it's easy to overlook or take for granted the chance to hear a lot of these people speak and move right onto critique...regardless of the outcome, the exposure to a lot of these people/theories/etc is pretty valuable...

I had very low expectations to see Gehry speak - but I found him to be a pretty funny lil' guy...his self-deprecating humor and effort to keep the audience involved were pretty refreshing...whatever your opinion of their work, I really admire when people can speak well and are aware of their audience...getting your ideas across to people = getting work.

Mar 29, 06 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
6nuew

strugs - you're absolutely right, you guys are incredibly lucky to have such incredible exposure to so much intelligent material. If there's one thing I've realised during my four years of architectural education, it's that exposure is EVERYTHING. Most of the students in India don't even know what it is that they dont know.

Mar 29, 06 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
AP

no expectation / high satisfaction:
Rudy Riciotti
Brian Mackay-Lyons
Brian Healy

high expectation / medium satisfaction:
Lisa Anne Couture

Mar 29, 06 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
6nuew

for me, high expectation / very low satisfaction: some ppl from Hadid's office, on their latest projects.

I started a post about this a while back, too.

A friend of mine attended a Charles Correa lecture, and apparently he's incredible.. a real world citizen.

Mar 29, 06 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

high/high = bill massie, teddy cruz, cristiano cessato sp?

low/high = mary hardin

Mar 29, 06 10:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: