Archinect
anchor

columbia vs. Michigan ann arbor

readynot

I've got admitted from both M.arch program.
I think many of you think columbia is somwhat over now. do you?
Originally I wanted to go columbia, but now I wonder.
Which one is better generally?
I've got 15,000$ scholarship for first year in Michigan.

Mar 27, 06 11:52 am
job job

Mar 27, 06 11:54 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

This is a joke, right?

Mar 27, 06 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
readynot

wonderk, why do you think I'm joking?
I am very serious...
I don't know much about UMichigan.
I am trying to find good advise from here...........................

Mar 27, 06 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

didn't um just have an open house? did you go?

Mar 27, 06 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
readynot

No. I am not in U.S.A.
I couldn't go.
So I need INFO!!!
Please help me out here!!!

Mar 27, 06 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
oldirty

learn to think for yourself and make decisions on your own...there's some advice.

Mar 27, 06 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
readynot

oh...common....
I don't need that shit.
I just need info to make decisions ON MY OWN.........

Mar 27, 06 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Dearest readynot,

There are at least 20 other active threads on this board that discuss Columbia in some form or another. You should do a search (or, um, just refresh the first discussions page), read a few of these, and then perhaps put together an informed opinion based on this.

Regarding UMich, threads exist but are not as plentiful. We have not done nearly the same amount of research on UMich as Columbia. For example, we haven't yet decided what would happen if Chuck Norris took on the University of Michigan. Me thinks Chuck Norris would still win, but that's a personal opinion. In any case, you'll still have to search.

Good luck in grad school. Seriously.

Yours,
WonderK

Mar 27, 06 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
readynot

WonderK, Thank you very much for your comment.
Of course, I have been searching about UMichigan.
However, I am not American. I don't know the school's atmosphere
, reputation or its characters.
Only info I can get here is website of it.
FIY, I did read all the 20 ACTIVE threads about Columbia.
But, like you said, there is not plentiful threads about UMichigan.
So I think this thread could be a great place for discussing about UM for other designers who is unfamiliar with it like me.

And I am looking forward to have GOOD LUCK in grad school. Seriously.

Mar 27, 06 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

reedyknot,

soem of us just discussed michigan here. probably not so helpful beacuse we didn't speak of columbia for you. aside from enlarging the penises of many on the student body, there's not much for me to add (and you probably wouldn't want to here more from me anyhows).

Mar 27, 06 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

readynot,
i just got back from the open house at umich, if you have any specific questions...

also i'm pretty sure i'm about to get a rejection letter from columbia, so again, if you have any specific questions

Mar 27, 06 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
fakeid

to generalize and summarize in six words, imo, michigan is theoretical; columbia is digital.

Mar 27, 06 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

I would have to disagree -- michigan is not so theoretical and columbia is not so digital (any more) -- both (like many programs these days) are in somewhat of a 'thinking-through-making' mode. in the end, while michigan does have it's strengths,I'd still have to say at Columbia you will ultimately come across more interesting people/lessons and leave with more cache (if not with more cash)...

Mar 28, 06 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
Imhotep7

colcol,

I would be interested to hear how the Open House was (UMich). I wanted to go but was unable to make it. What was your feel for the school, faculty, Ann Arbor and potential peers?

Mar 28, 06 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

fakeid, that's theoretically 9 words. But digitally, it appears to be 7. I don't see 6.

Mar 28, 06 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
S

thank you garpike. i wasn't sure if i would ever hit rock bottom here on archinect. i think you just helped me to see the light. i gotta go. i gotta go do better things than this.

Mar 28, 06 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Giving up so soon? Stay a while. Have a look around. You can find the bottom is much deeper.

Mar 28, 06 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
fakeid

what about now?

to generalize and summarize in six words starting from.... now. (imo) michigan is theoretical; columbia is digital.

1,2,3,4,5....& 6

Mar 28, 06 9:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: