Archinect
anchor

New York Architectural Tours???

marcala

Going to New York in May.....any good architecture related walking tours I can take? Especially Modern or Art Deco.

Mar 26, 06 5:23 am
snooker

Chrysler Building...walk around it a few times and then into the lobby,
Visit the Empire States Building, go to the observation deck and of course, visit the Rockerfeller Center. Stop at the Rainbow Room for a
drink, or a meal if you have deep pockets.

Mar 26, 06 9:35 am  · 
 · 
MightyMouse

just walk around the city with a good guide book, you will get more out of it than any "guide"

Mar 26, 06 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
standaman

Then maybe someone could recommend a good "light" guidebook to NYC architecture that Marcala could carry around. With all due respect to the ESB and Chrystler bldg, it would be nice if the book included more of the non-"touristy" sites that might be interesting to arch students.

Mar 26, 06 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
uva2006

I would hit Seagram [mies] and Lever House [SOM across the street from one another] on campus at columbia is the new lerner hall [polshek] MoMA [taniguchi] and the Folk Art [williams and Tsien]. Also Austrian Culture Forum and Prada NYC Epicenter [OMA - Koolhaas]. Baruch Vertical Campus [KPF] greenwich street project [archi-tectonics]. LVMH Louis Vuitton-Moet, Hennessy [Christian de Portzamparc]. Great folded skin. Meier Towers [perry adn charles street] nicole kidman lives there.

The only way is to make your own map. Print something out and mark your own path. Google All of the buildings for location.

I would avoid ESB and Chrysler but that is just me. I think it is a bad way to see the city from above. Kind of exploits the treasures of NY. Pop up from the subway stations and find your way is the best experience.

Good luck and enjoy it! I hope this list gets you started.

Mar 26, 06 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
sewage

There was a fire in the building that OMA's Prada store is in - so it's closed for the time being. The hole at the former WTC is interesting - I'd check that out. Don't forget the UN Secretariat on the East River, Guggenheim, etc...

Mar 27, 06 2:16 am  · 
 · 
conorplus

I just got back from a similar trip to New York, there are some earlier posts that were super helpful. Also, I found a little book called NFT (not for tourists) that helped me out a bunch. It has subway maps and street maps, as well as the listing things you need on an everyday basis, ie, supermarkets, coffee shops, bagels etc. its not cheap, but its useful and fits in your pocket (moleskin size). It helped me find everything i was looking for, including the scaffold covered Guggenheim and closed prada store.

Mar 27, 06 2:41 am  · 
 · 
Cure

go to newyorkwired.com

good site :)

Mar 27, 06 3:30 am  · 
 · 
Cure

oops sorry, its wirednewyork.com

:P

Mar 27, 06 3:31 am  · 
 · 
Medit

I know maybe its not as cool as Abraham's Austrian Cultural Forum or Bunshaft's Lever House, but has anyone been to MET's The Cloisters?

Mar 28, 06 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

There's always the new MOMA, and some other little gems you just stumble upon, check out SHoP's Porter house at the corner of 9th ave and 15th street, Holl's Storefront for Art and Arch at Kenmare St and Clevland Place, Foster's Hearst Tower at 8th + 47th, Raimund Abraham's Austrian Cultural Foundation at 52nd and 5th, American Folk Art Museum by Tod Williams somewhere on 53rd, and Future Systems Comme des Garcons store on 22nd to name a few

Mar 28, 06 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

There's always the new MOMA, and some other little gems you just stumble upon, check out SHoP's Porter house at the corner of 9th ave and 15th street, Holl's Storefront for Art and Arch at Kenmare St and Clevland Place, Foster's Hearst Tower at 8th + 47th, Raimund Abraham's Austrian Cultural Foundation at 52nd and 5th, American Folk Art Museum by Tod Williams somewhere on 53rd, and Future Systems Comme des Garcons store on 22nd to name a few

Mar 28, 06 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
mcf1983

uva2006 has the best list above add to it the SHoP and foster projects

Mar 28, 06 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
rondo mogilskie

Though not super-current (last edition 2000), the AIA Guide to NYC is the traditional standard.

Mar 28, 06 7:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: