Archinect
anchor

Any Students for Florida Colleges? Past, Present, and Future.

arc2107

Anyone applying to any Florida Architecture schools?

Mar 26, 06 12:27 am
cmdace18

I'm graduating in May with an M.Arch from UF's core (3 year) program.

You applying to UF?

Mar 26, 06 1:16 am  · 
 · 
arc2107

Yes I'm applying to Uf. I have to pin-up on the 21st of April. Any pointers that could help me?

Mar 26, 06 1:29 am  · 
 · 
trip to fame

I'm currently at Miami's M. ARCH program

Mar 26, 06 1:29 am  · 
 · 
arc2107

I didn't think that there was anybody else on here that was or iare going to any Florida schools? All I saw were all the huge schools like Rice and Cornell.

Mar 26, 06 1:31 am  · 
 · 
musicman

arc2107,

make sure you show lots of process if you have it documented

treat your pin up board as a project - composition

show only your good work

give yourself plenty of time!

Mar 26, 06 3:35 am  · 
 · 
trace™

arc2107 - make sure you show tons of process. Good sketches with good contrast. Are you applying from a community school?

I'd study previous top 10 examples. I think they are online. STUDY them!! Learn how and why everything connects, overlaps, links together. As mm notes, MAKE it a project.

Time is essential. I think it took me about 30 hours just to do the pinup part.
I know what a horrific experience pin up can be.

I am a UF grad. Best school in the world ;-). Really, it is. Love Gainesville, too, best college town. Ah, the good ol' days when dreams were still alive!

I am not a huge sports fan, but my three schools are in the finals!! Yeppie!!
That's

UF
UCONN (home town)
UCLA

Mar 26, 06 9:25 am  · 
 · 
DEVicox

UF pin up. Process, process, process. Very important to be able to complement finished models/drawings with process work that begin to describe how such projects were developed. The top 10 online is a good way to see some very good examples. Two years ago I was in the top 5, but the pinup back then pretty much had a similar feeling to what is online now.

Mar 26, 06 10:47 am  · 
 · 

DEVicox has it right, process process process. Lots of sketches, they want to see that you can produce an innovative project from the first sketch to the final rendering.

UF is a great place, lots of emphasis on travel and the global experience of design. While at UF I traveled to 5 states, 14 countries, and 3 continents (and have the debt to prove it). The Director of the program is great, and is committed to helping students in any way.

Mar 26, 06 11:33 am  · 
 · 
cmdace18

trace, Connecticut is where my home town is too, and I'll be graduating from UF ... where in CT?

Mar 26, 06 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
cmdace18

I'm from Cheshire by the way..

Mar 26, 06 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
arc2107

trace - I'm applying from Saint Petersburg College with an AA in Architecture. Thanks for the help!!!!

Mar 26, 06 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
arc2107

+q. - where exactly does the program at UF travel to? Sounds like a lot of fun.

Mar 26, 06 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
casual

all around Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, New York, with optional summer or semester studies in Italy, Hong Kong, Mexico, or Nantucket.

Mar 26, 06 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

yup, we went to Ga, NC, then NY. Last semester there I was in Vicenza. Just amazing experience. So much fun, from night clubs to seeing all (almost) the architecture that inspires us. Priceless (well, kinda, I spent an absolute fortune talking with my then gf).

cmdace18 - I am from Mansfield, I still love CT more than ever, just not much going on there

arc - spend TONS of time on it. It's ultra competitive. Make sure you have tons of process, good sketches, etc. Stuff that distinguishes you from the herd. Skip the typical architecture drawings (like boring construction plans/sections, etc.), unless thye are something really special. They are going to want to see how you think, how you solve problems more than anything.

Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Mar 27, 06 12:27 am  · 
 · 
arc2107

Trace - Is there such a thing as too many models for the pin-ups. I have almost more models than drawings snd sketches due to the fact that we have been developing the process through models rather than sketches and drawings.

Mar 27, 06 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
trace™
Top Recent PinUps

Yes, there is always the possibility of 'too much'. It's quality they want to see, not quantity. This applies to any creative field - better to see 3-4 superb projects than 15 mediocre ones.

Look at these pinups, study them.
Look at how they tie projects together, how the models work with the drawings, the difference between the models (notice the scale differences).
Notice the clarity in some, how drawings flow into models, how the models make the presentation 3 dimensional, not just a bunch of models sitting on the floor in front of the drawings.

It's a ton of work. I know I spent weeks making things specifically for pinup, as I did when applying for grad school.

Also, of utter importance, notice how NONE of the pinups have any 'buildings'. Not to say that buildings are really bad, but at this stage in the game it's about space, form, connections, materials - not about doors and rooms.

Shoot me an email if you want pointers and I'll try to help. Very busy for the next few days, though, but I'll try.

Mar 27, 06 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
GT+...:(

arc2107:
I have applied to UF, USF, and FIU, the latter two of which I consider safety's. I have been accepted to FIU. Big Whoop. As I pointed out in the big thread I saw USF's facilities this past weekend and they have to be among the worst in the nation. I did a summer program in high school at the University of Miami and applied to graduate school there last year. I never heard any response from them and every time I called no faculty were there. It is a weird school and I have trouble seeing how they remain accredited. Their website hasn't been updated in 4 years and I never hear anything about people that went there. The facilities sucked when I was there in high school but from what I understand they have a new building that should be completed soon (or is). Though the students seem talented I am not Latin and that seems to be the only way they'll talk to you, let me know if I'm wrong. Overall Univ. of Miami iseems to be shadey as hell.

Mar 27, 06 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
Barrett

arc2107, if you have a ton of models I would suggest photographing the hell out of them rather than simply trying to pin up the all the actual models. Images that speak of perspective, light/shadow, and detail moments would be useful I think, maybe a series of vignettes. Maybe they are organized on your board in such a way that speaks to the organization of the space and how it is to be occupied and/or experienced, in other words use them as a narrative rather than simple documentation. Stay away from bird's eye view shots of the entire model, unless it's key to understanding relationships to the overall site. Another reason to have less models...less likely to fall off & break when some jackass 4 spaces over decides that something on their board requires hammering into the wall...

Mar 27, 06 8:45 pm  · 
 · 

arc2107,
I'm sorry I'm confused. You said you are applying to UF and have a pin-up soon. What pin-up are you talking about? Do you have to pin up your work to "audition" to get in or something?

Mar 27, 06 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
AP

he's talking about getting into the upper division of the UNDERGRAD program. not grad school. this is done after 2 yrs. of undergrad, slimming the class down to 96 students, usually from 130+ UF undergrads and another bunch of Community College applicants.

Mar 27, 06 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
AP

pin-up is literally that, a 4x8' space on the wall where you pin up your best work from the previous 2yrs. in order to get into Upper Division.

Mar 27, 06 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
AP

he or she...sorry about that.

Mar 27, 06 9:09 pm  · 
 · 

Wow, ok. GT didn't have anything like that. We had a thing after freshman year where you had to make a portfolio of the work done the previous two semesters and informally apply to your desired major (Freshman Arch, I.D. and B.C. students are together). Your place is virtually gauranteed though and there is no one from outside the school seeking a spot nor is there any "pin-up." I never knew UF had that. What Community Colleges do they come from? What other majors? and what percent of the 96 students are from outside UF?

Mar 27, 06 9:15 pm  · 
 · 

Wow, ok. GT didn't have anything like that. We had a thing after freshman year where you had to make a portfolio of the work done the previous two semesters and informally apply to your desired major (Freshman Arch, I.D. and B.C. students are together). Your place is virtually gauranteed though and there is no one from outside the school seeking a spot nor is there any "pin-up." I never knew UF had that. What Community Colleges do they come from? What other majors? and what percent of the 96 students are from outside UF?

Mar 27, 06 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
AP

only arch majors. ID has there own PinUp, as does LA...

Mar 27, 06 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
AP

there are a bunch of CC's in FL that have students apply...at least 5 or so places, probably more

Mar 27, 06 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
AP

in my class, there were 5 or 6 that made it into upper division from CC.

I think that is typical. not for sure.

Mar 27, 06 9:21 pm  · 
 · 

I didn't know any community colleges had architecture programs, except maybe geared toward CAD only.

Mar 27, 06 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
DrNo

I am actually one of the damned few currently toiling in the Florida CC system with intentions of presenting a pinup at UF a year from now. I have already scheduled a trip to check out this years pinup and have studied the pinup currently posted on the UF website. It is glaringly apparent that in and of itself, the CC that I attend definitely lacks the facilities, competition and direction to compare with the current work highlighted on the webpage. I guess this could be assumed of most CCs with their limited budget and smaller number of students. Granted, I am only in my second semester of studio but I can't help look at the work displayed and not think that I despite being at the top of the class here, I will definitely need to step it up to compete for the limited slots of CC students UF lets in this time next year.

trace, AP or any other alums have any additional suggestions for us CC folk to ensure that we are producing at a competitive level (or higher)?

Mar 27, 06 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
arc2107

The community college that I'm coming from is Saint Petersburg College. My first choice is UF but I also applied to FAU and USF as backups. I've been to FAU (Florida Atlantic University in "Fort Lauderdale") their facilities are good but it's small and they only offer a Bachelors in Architecture rather than both the Masters and Bachelors like UF. I would have to say that one benefit of FAU is the smaller classes which could give more focus to the individual but also less people get in. Around 50-65.

Mar 27, 06 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

96 make it past pinup, eh? That's a ton more than when i was there - about 50%+ or so made it past. I almost switched to ID (I do love interiors).

Not sure what to suggest without seeing your work. I will say that a good friend came from a CC and turned out to be one of the most talented designers I've seen or met (you know who you are ;-).

Keep in mind, the school is one of the tops in the country and has a superb record of placing grads in the best grad programs. Whatever you can do to get in will be worth the effort.

Mar 27, 06 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Dr No,

facilities shouldn't be an issue. The only facilities you need to get into upper division are your hands and your head...as well as pencils, pens, paper, basswood and some glue. That being said, the faculty at UF is FANTASTIC. I have never attended your CC, nor do I know who teaches there, but some of the CC pre-arch programs have UF alumni as professors.

advice? work hard. be thoughtful. iterative process. rigor in general.

best of luck. The undergrad program at UF is exceptional.

Mar 28, 06 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

that's true. I didn't use the wood shop once in the first two years. We did, however, have band saws, dremels, etc., in our studio (along with refrigerators, salvaged couches, and other necessities to live there - the studio, that is).

Mar 28, 06 2:04 pm  · 
 · 

arc 2107 The year I went through pin-up 2 people got in from St Pete's CC. I think the CC with one of the best pre-architecture programs is Miami-Dade CC in Kendall. The main faculty is comprised of ex-UF'ers and the work is pretty good, if not a bit too much in the computer side of things.

Mar 28, 06 4:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: