Archinect
anchor

Form-Z

dzuy

Allo everyone,

can anyone suggest me some nice books to learn form-z?

something ideally clear,concise, and applicable?

thanks!

also, whats better for a beginning to start out learning? thoughts?

Mar 24, 06 4:14 pm
zeth01

theres a book on their website. it works or get the cd from journeyed.com

Mar 24, 06 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
Try Google
Mar 25, 06 10:06 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Whoa! What year it?! I think I must have fallen into a time warp when I got drunk last night.

"Try Rhino"

Mar 25, 06 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
dzuy

rhino looks good, i'll give that a whirl. thanks!

Mar 25, 06 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
standaman

It's funny how Form-Z just.....disappeared. I leave the country for 4 years, come back, and everybody's reaction to the name is, "Woah, I remember that program!" Now everybody's knows Rhino.

Learn Rhino for the easiest integration between modeling, rendering, import/exporting, drafting, fabrication (3D printing/laser cutting).

Mar 25, 06 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

never tried rhino ... still stuck on 3Dmax ...
is there any need to switch to Rhino ?

Mar 26, 06 12:47 am  · 
 · 
standaman

As I said, it's uber-compatible with the laser cutter and (I think) the 3d printer. 3D Max is not. 3D Max is okay if all you need is renderings, but who wants renderings when you could have a kickass model!!??

Mar 26, 06 3:31 am  · 
 · 
wood_

any comments as far as these programs: Revit Buildings and VIZ?

Mar 26, 06 3:40 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

ok ... i'm convinced ... gotta look for one now ..

Mar 26, 06 5:31 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

ok ... i'm convinced ... gotta look for one now ..

Mar 26, 06 5:32 am  · 
 · 
trace™

FormZ rocks. All depends on what you are using the program for. I've not used Rhino, but I personally don't like nurbs.

Max is a horrible modeler for arch, just painfully slow to move things around in. FormZ is super fast to model in, rotate around in, etc.

All the firms I've worked at still use FormZ as the primary 3D app. I can't honestly say that I know of one firm that uses Rhino, with the exception of school/boutique firms that embedded in the cnc/laser/whatever scene.

That said, I do know it's a great program. But really, most apps are at least great at one thing (Max rocks for rendering/animation).

Mar 26, 06 9:29 am  · 
 · 
BLK

I am using rhino I think is version 3 from 2002 and it is, for me a little bit to not user friendly. I like 3DSmax better. but I guess i Have an old version.
if yoy use rhino what version do U use?

Mar 26, 06 9:52 am  · 
 · 
dzuy

good stuff

Mar 26, 06 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
3dGraffiti

I still use FormZ to create terrain models. Does any other modeling / rendering software create terrain models as easily as Form Z? I still model in Autocad, render / animate in Max.

Mar 26, 06 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Viz is basically 3D max. It just has most of the animation controls, cloth, softbodies, particles, and some modifier parameters stripped out. I guess you could think of it as 3DS lite. I think it's more geared for rendering architectural stuff, especially since the default material library is the architectural library.

I use Rhino for modeling, Max/Viz for rendering. Would like VRay for Rhino though so I don't have to export all the time. Screw exporting.

Mar 26, 06 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

I fired up formZ the day before the term final jury to pull out one of the best features, clip/hither yon curthrough animation! But then realized it would be nicer and more controllable in 3D Studio. Either way, it was nice to break it out again. Rhino is nice, and yes, really nice for prototyping, laser cutting, etc.

Mar 26, 06 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

I use formz.

If I was doing blobs or had access to a 3d printer or laser cutter then I'd reconsider.

As a stand alone modeler its tough to beat it...

Mar 26, 06 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

is it possible to export the models between Max and Rhino ?

that way we could model in Rhino and then animate it in max ...

Mar 26, 06 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
Sylvester

3dGraffiti: Google "Terrain for Rhino"
sporadic supernova : export as .obj instead of .3ds - then each layer will be one object in max

Mar 27, 06 2:25 am  · 
 · 
G-bot

They all do pretty much the same thing. Just get good at using a package then stick to it. That's my philosophy. I'm good with the Z so that's what I use

Mar 27, 06 4:10 am  · 
 · 
G-bot

They all do pretty much the same thing. Just get good at using a package then stick to it. That's my philosophy. I'm good with the Z so that's what I use

Mar 27, 06 4:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: