Archinect
anchor

soccer, Euro 2004

PostDepot

to everyone's surprise, greece became the champions of europe. Something revolutionary in soccer, happened.
how could, a poor brother without any international star player, against all odds, do this?
well,this is the revolutionary part. they had the ability to combine, their passion to succeed with incredible discipline. it was not the usual european or south american soccer which pleased the masses with star players who could do away with couple of nice moves and give everybody their money's worth. They beat portuguese twice, eliminated and send tired france to retirement, beat another poor brother czechoslovakia , who played great, in my opinion.
i don't think it was a surprise. they were clearly the best team. they had the energy to play 120 minutes if it was necessary, score a goal in every game and most important, they never let their discipline go away. they have shown the world, lazy, brut power colonialism in soccer is gone, replaced by intelligent play to win and desire to do your best.
It is over, at least right now, for star studded teams with multi million budgets, players who are there to perform the expected moves for secured ad contracts and spectators blindly going to matches to watch their famous heroes playing for more fame.
we will probably not remember single greek player's name in a couple of months, but, what happened in lisbon will go down the soccer history with a revolutionary magnitude.
congratulations greece for achieving something out of the expected and ordinary.

Jul 5, 04 3:18 pm
mauOne™

there´s no czechoslovakia anymore it's the czech republic now.

ANYWAY, it sure was a lot of discipline, but very ulgy-to-watch soccer, soccer it to be enjoyed for its beauty and technique ANYWAY it goes to show that while FRANCE UK GERMANY are taking photos with the superstars other teams are training to win, too bad it happened in lisbon the portugese had a bummer @ home

Jul 5, 04 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

manOne

There was not UK team, it's England.

Jul 5, 04 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
PostDepot

i don't think greece played ugly football at all. it was a different type of beauty spectators are not accustomed to and weren't able to read. their long passes in the counter attacks were always well recieved and controlled by the intended forward player. they had the control of most airplays with the headers, excellent to the point runs and very very intelligent defense without building a ugly wall of players. they scored the same goal in last three games and did it with a confidence.
their game is going to become a text book material for the next few years to come.
and, i can't wait for the game between greece and, my team turkey for the world cup qualifiers in istanbul, september 10.

Jul 5, 04 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
uneDITed

'my team turkey' - pray,do you really own a whole team? wow..you must be rich

Jul 5, 04 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
PostDepot

indeed..

Jul 5, 04 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
rizzdizzl

the best part of the game was the mad supporter who ran on the field and then jumped into the goal....i thought it was pretty funny, especially the look on his face when he jumped

Jul 5, 04 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

We need the similar revolution in architecture.

Jul 6, 04 10:18 am  · 
 · 
crillywazzy

i too thought greece were exciting to watch. not exciting in a nike ad way, but their quick, efficient passing, how they worked themselves out of tight spots and unleashed their counter, how much fitter they were... a good win for a good up and coming team. congrats are in order to rehhagel too for tuning them up like a racecar in anticipation of this tournament.

btw: the greek centreback, dellas, was just superb throughout, no?

Jul 6, 04 12:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: