Archinect
anchor

Intern

ClemsonDnB

I am looking around for intern positions in NYC. A few places I have been interested in applying to have asked to include salary requirement, which I thought was strange for an intern position. What would be a good, yet reasonable, salary for an intern architect in the city?

Mar 14, 06 7:38 pm
charlize

Hey hey hey, can anyone reply to this? I would like to know about that too....

Mar 24, 06 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
moratto

me too

Mar 24, 06 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

there was a recent thread about a similar situation regarding an entry level spot at a firm in marin county (north of san francisco).

try searching for that one...it might shed some light.

what's your experience level?

Mar 24, 06 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

here's the thread...

http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=P35061_0_42_0_C

Mar 24, 06 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
charlize

thx

Mar 24, 06 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

1.5 million

Mar 24, 06 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
designrocks

i have been looking around too, and for the smaller (in my opinion more interesting) firms it is around 10-12. for the larger, corporate, firms some of my friends are getting paid up to 16/hr- even sophomores

Mar 24, 06 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

I was recently looking for an intern position in NY (and I finally landed one). I started out asking for $35,000 and I pretty much got laughed at, even though every firm I interviewed with told me things like, "Your portfolio is very impressive." If you find anything for $30,000, take it. If you find any place that gives medical benefits, take it.

Mar 25, 06 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

wow only 30,000 in nyc? my friend got offered a job in columbia sc for 35,000. how can you live in nyc on 30,000??

Mar 25, 06 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
yellowtrace

DnB -

I graduated from Clemson in 2004 and got a job in New York starting out at 35,000 but without benefits. asssuming that clemson grads have sort of the same level of appeal to a firm, that might give you a reference point. i've switched jobs twice since then, and am up to 40k with full benefits. All the other architects in the city my age that i know make between mid 30s and low 40s other than the ones selling their souls to starchitects.

also, a friend of mine here in the city, another clemson grad, is working at a firm that has had two clemson graduates before and have decided that people that graduated from Lee Hall are moderately awesome. they need to hire some new people in the next few months. email me if you want contact info.

Mar 25, 06 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

I'm in Dallas and they've been offering me $16-$18 an hour plus overtime at time and a half

Mar 25, 06 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

ClemsonDnB -

Needless to say, I live with my parents...
...in NJ.

And I drive a shitbox car.

What kind of firms are you big ballers working at, and are they hiring?

Mar 26, 06 9:43 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

From the 2005 AIA Compensation Survey:

NYC Metro Area:
...3rd Year Intern: (not enough data to report)
...2nd Year Intern: Median Base Pay: $40,000
...1st Year Intern: Median Base Pay: $36,000

National - All Firms:
...3rd Year Intern: Median Base Pay: $39,700
...2nd Year Intern: Median Base Pay: $35,900
...1st Year Intern: Median Base Pay: $34,000

Definitions Used:
Third-year intern: Unlicensed architecture school graduate in
third year of internship; develops design or technical solutions under supervision of an architect.
Second-year intern: Intern in second year of internship.
First-year intern: Intern in first year of internship.

Mar 27, 06 9:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: