Archinect
anchor

Architect

DelGaudio

Does it bother anyone that the IT industry has stolen the title Architect?

Jul 2, 04 11:50 am
le bossman

no, because they don't require licensure. the only individuals to truely hold the title Architect will always be those licensed Architects, Landscape Architects, and Naval Architects. besides, the word architect is basically an overarching definition for anyone who conceives of large, complex systems of thought anyway, and software designers in fact do that, as to military generals, engineers, politicians, etc. i also would say that many industrial designers or interior designers are architects of sorts. i of course respect the official title Architect, but i don't mind that the word itself be applied to a broader spectrum that includes any kind of thought structure, which goes beyond buildings. besides, i've heard people call themselves a 'software architect,' but none of those people would ever plainly call themselves an 'Architect,' a word that, with regard to professional title, is fairly specific in regard to its implication for the Architect's occupation. this conversation seems to keep coming back all the time.

Jul 2, 04 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

it only bothers me when looking for a job online.

Jul 2, 04 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
DelGaudio

Yes, this conversation does come back all the time. That's because it relevant. And it does bother me when looking online for a job or salary information too.

Possibly the English language has no accurate description for either of the professions. Maybe some of our bilingual friends can speak to the specifics of titles in their country. What's an Architect called in German? The German language seem to be more precise that ours in many cases.

What bothers me specifically is that software architects do not understand their title. Architects of buildings do more than simply construct complex systems. Don't they? There's a human element too, isn't there? Personally I think the software architects are engineers who want to legitimize their newly found profession.

Also, you're naive if you think that "none of those people would ever plainly call themselves an 'Architect'". They would and they do. Look at the job descriptions online or the magazine 'New Architect'.

Jul 2, 04 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

here here DelG....It bothers me slightly as well the fact that there is repercussions involved when people in our profession call themselves architects, and they aren't either 1) licensed, or 2) educated in the field (arch school, IDP, etc.) And yet...there are those that aren't even truly builders, who can fling the term around and claim such a title with no qualms or respect for those of us that should be "considered".

Jul 2, 04 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
benny

it bothers and confuses me...

what do y'all think about instructors in architecture programs who have no formal education in architecture (their degrees might be as varied as law, sociology, anthro, etc...), have not worked at all in the profession, but somehow they ended up teaching in an architecture program and then go around claiming to be "architects"?

Jul 2, 04 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
Gabriel

gotta agree with le bossman.. the only bother is the unlicensed masses calling themselves architects.. if someone wants to be a network architect or software architect go ahead. last i checked nobody made a big stink about sanitary engineers or the rug doctor.. i'd just like to look at it as a mark of respect for the profession

Jul 2, 04 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
e

yep, get over it. you know who you are. gabriel, the rug doctor? good one.

Jul 2, 04 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
Minimal Animal

I agree.....its just a title....
so what if the next-door-java-geek is calling himself a "software architect"........let him....who cares....

we 'architects' tend to put ourselves on pedestals and consider ourselves superior to anyone else..and that is what leads to our downfall....you could call it the the 'Frank Lloyd Wright Syndrome'.....

personally, I prefer to call myself 'building surgeon'......... ha!

Jul 2, 04 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

are there any high end real estate architects/decorators?

Jul 3, 04 12:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: