Archinect
anchor

Walk-in business

This is a topic that has surfaced previously in the forum, but never dealt with directly. I am curious and seek contributions from those that are in environments where this is possible.

How much walk-in business do storefront practices recieve. I am getting closer to actually taking that big leap into private practice and am curious as to how much if any business comes walking through the door.

Please share your thoughts, experiences, and ideas about this. thanks

Feb 20, 06 10:09 pm

Why do you care how much walk-in business you will get?

With good marketing you will have no problems getting work.

Feb 20, 06 10:43 pm  · 
 · 

well that's a simple view but its like not worrying about your left hand because you write with your other hand.

Obviously we are conditioned as professionals to believe they work in conjunction - I'm approaching it as a design solution but i need to know what problems lie with walk-in business

Feb 20, 06 11:20 pm  · 
 · 

Im not fully understanding what you are trying to get at.

The problems you may encounter with a walk-in client will be the same as a regular client.

Plus I don't see how you will have any problems with walk-in business. Business is business.

Feb 20, 06 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Depending what neighborhood you are in, I imagine the walk-in annoyances would far outweigh the walk-in business. I'd go for an upper level suite.

But of course in the right neighborhood it could be good for business to have a presence on the street.

Feb 20, 06 11:40 pm  · 
 · 

hmm that's my thought liberty - but I think I've been glamourising over the suburban practice with folks walking in asking if we do additions....why? Since that's so not what i want to do.

Its' jus been playing over and over in my head/dreams

Feb 20, 06 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
walter_

i cant comment on how much business you will get from a store-front office but LTL's store-front office is incredible. and not just because they are LTL, but it makes the office an even more interesting space. think of the importance of the sidewalk in architecture.

Feb 21, 06 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
rayray

they may not walk in, but if you have an interesting street presence they may remember you and call, or send their resume. i would not bank on it as part
of my expected startup marketing though. one word to remember when starting out on your own - overhead - remember that word.

Feb 21, 06 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
rayray

another thing to keep in mind, your website might be your best storefront.

Feb 21, 06 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i've always been intrigued by the idea of an architecture firm with a storefront or real public connection, yes there could be some annoying situations, but think about it as an opportunity to educate. i hate that we closet ourselves in our buildings while talking about the public's failure to engage architecture...kind of hypocritical.

Feb 21, 06 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I have known a couple offices just like it as an interesting environment to work in or they design furniture and have a studio / gallery in the front. I don't think it hurts but you could spend too much time answering silly questions or have a lot of people "kicking tires" and picking your brain so you'll have to figure out who is worthwhile spending time on.

Having said that I had probably had my most successful client walk -in to my home ( garage ) office 8 yrs back on a whim. Starting talking and he was out for a walk and had heard of our work and walked in from the street.
Makes for a cool story.

Feb 21, 06 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

in chicago i used to live in the building next to booth hansen and you could walk by on plymouth ct and see their models. i always thought that was cool.

also, wheeler kearns were on the 2nd or 3rd floor of the fisher building and from the loop el you could see right into their office. very interesting and if i was a potential client i would be intrigued by the accessibility.

thirdly, up on bryn mawr avenue there was an architecture firm that did, like, traditional architecture & prairie-style rehash. but you could walk right by on the street and see them at work.

i think it really helps the public see what we do and what we're about. many complaints about architects/architecture center around the inaccessibility of the jargon and mindset we have. i always liked the idea of being the "neighborhood" architect...and personally i'd rather have someone interrupt me in person than over the phone or by e-mail.

Feb 21, 06 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

In Portland I worked in the former loading dock of an industrial building that had been turned into apartments with retail at ground level. Which meant our floor was about four feet above the sidewalk, and we had windows right to the floor. It was awesome, though the girls had to be careful about their leg position under the desk when wearing skirts.

That office did see its share of homeless people/solicitors/tourists/etc. wandering in off the streets, but I'd say overall it was a great experience and yes anyone could look in and see us all bent over the drafting tables (this was pre-cad).

Now in Philadelphia I would never have a storefront space, period. In mid-town Indianapolis, I would. It all depends on the situation and I do think it's cool to let people see us working - though these days, with everyone working on computers, we could just as easily appear to be web designers or data entry employees as architects - unless we are careful to have some models prominently placed near the windows.

Feb 21, 06 3:32 pm  · 
 · 

situation of my office across from aamco transmissions, when 2 of 3 parking spots are empty:
-are you guys arktesor sompthin'? (or someother mis pronunciation thereof)
-yea.
-can i park here for 5 minutes?
-thanks man.

Feb 21, 06 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Doesn't Kling-Lindquist in Philly have a storefront presence? Or is that merely a stair that goes to an upper floor space?

Feb 21, 06 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

my office is an architecturally significant building in Los Angeles, with the word ARCHITECT displayed on the exterior wall in those neat Neutra letters. We have many 'walk in' clients who have seen our building and need an architect for their bathroom addition. We also have had people see our building and come in and ask us to do resturants.

Feb 21, 06 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

By the way, the prairie-style firm on Chicago's north side is Greene & Proppe on Berwyn Avenue. I used to live nearby, and my car got broken into one night while parked in front of their office. (Probably just a coincidence, but.... you never know.)

Feb 21, 06 3:54 pm  · 
 · 

i've always liked the idea of having a storefront presence...my ultimate goal upon starting my own firm (still a few years away) is to have a sort of gallery/coffee shop/design office hybrid...i'm envisioning a storefront gallery/coffee shop that displays contemporary art (by artists and/or architects) and current architecture from the city (my projects plus others) with my office in a mezzanine above, probably along with some other young firms a la LTL...

i see it as becoming a sort of cultural nexus of the art/design community...

Feb 21, 06 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I WANT A WELDER IN MY OFFICE

Feb 21, 06 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Arrow Street of Boston Fame used to have a Store Front Office on of course Arrow Street. The always had great models in their Store Front Windows, just off of Harvard Square.

Most people let the Yellow Pages do the walking for my practice, and then there is word of mouth. People see your work and they just have to have you help them out with their project. Then there is the return client....their the best, if they aren't asking you to do it for less this time around.

Another great marketing opportunity is volunteering to be on a board which has nothing to do with Architecture, cause most likely there are
people on that board who are connected to the community in every way you want to be and then some. Boards usually comprise of a Banker, Accountant, or other assorted money people. People, who for one reason or another are attracted to the function of the board. Most times you will find a lawyer and low and behold someone is always looking for an architect for one reason or another. Oh ya don't be selfish with your time....cause you get back by what you give. I'm currently President of a Board.

Feb 21, 06 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Gastown Vancouver, B.C. used to have the city's best architectural bookstore / cafe and design studio of a graphic designer. Everyone used to come in for lunch and Latte's at midday. Everyday it became a total happening spot. Sip coffee and browse books then argue with some well known local Designers. Very fun, didn't last as we looked at books too much and didn't buy anything.

It also had a gallery that promoted local artist's too. I forget the name but it was very cool. I had lunch with Richard Henriquez and John Patkau and discussed various school projects one lunch. Looking back it was a truly unique moment. Might work today if they could find a the right niche, closest thing now is Granville Island.

Feb 21, 06 6:23 pm  · 
 · 

i am currently the president of 'cars with busted transmissions do not park here' club..
you can't always get what you want..

Feb 21, 06 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

mdler, i want one too, and a small milling machine.

with my wife in culinary school, we have actually talked about opening a small bakery/coffee shop/gallery/design studio. there's no way it would work anywhere else but the street.

Feb 21, 06 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

that is if it would ever work

Feb 21, 06 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

i know these guys:

kanner architects

have a street-front office in westwood, los angeles. I remember walking home from the studio at ucla at night seeing everyone work on blobs and strange forms, then glancing in thru the window to see their beautiful, minimalist models on display. It actually kinda kept me in check with 'real architecture'.

maybe someone who works in this office could answer the questions of the original post

Feb 21, 06 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

There is a curious sign infront of a small office on Ventura Blvd in Sherman Oaks that simply reads "architect" in red neon. I want to walk in, but I am afraid of what I'll find.

Feb 21, 06 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

so thats where mdler works, hmmm....

Feb 21, 06 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

MDLER WORKS IN SILVERLAKE

Feb 21, 06 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Yes, the "architect" sign I speak of is all lowercase and not in the Neutra font. My gf says it reminds her of a redlight whore house. The sign that is.

Feb 21, 06 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

its cool that that is how your gf rolls

Feb 21, 06 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ha ha ha ha no it ain't.

Feb 21, 06 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

but arent all architects whores???

Feb 21, 06 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I knew a few. I used to think "How'd they get an A? Oh yeah..."

Feb 21, 06 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i hear you, garpike

i was never an 'A' student

Feb 21, 06 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

mdler, hmm i think i remember visiting your office with my boss once, i think in 2004. i remember the drawigns with japanese text? what that your office? anyways, really cool work!

Feb 21, 06 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

sameolddoctor, that could be my office...Gregory Ain

the dwgs w/ japaneese text were probably from the guy before me; he was married to a japaneese girl and had little japaneese stamps for all of our drawings. our website should be up and running soon, so you can see what we are up to.

Feb 21, 06 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

yes, that was it, actually my boss knows your boss (hes south african right ?) or rather used to know him a while back....thats how we walked in there!

Feb 21, 06 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

and yes, those japanese stamps were pretty funny...

Feb 21, 06 8:56 pm  · 
 · 

signature stamps! Cool. My co-worker has one (she's Japanese as well). Most of her work pre 2000 was stamped with the stuff with her "designed" colour - kinda sea foam green that was called khan (her name is Kani she felt the colour was masculine, go figure).

Anyhow I want to see that sign....but it just had the word "architect?" trai minimal

Feb 21, 06 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

my advice. keep your doors locked!

Feb 22, 06 12:00 am  · 
 · 

i'm for the storefront. you may or may not get walk-in business and you may or may not want it. but where you plant your feet as a business says a lot about your values as an architect. i agree with these guys:

"i hate that we closet ourselves in our buildings while talking about the public's failure to engage architecture." - betadinesutures

"think of the importance of the sidewalk in architecture." urban_bunker

if you hide yourself away in an office park or the upper floor of a building somewhere, you can still get work through marketing of various sorts but, if you can make the cost of leasing/owning/operating storefront space work, it gives you the opportunity to announce to the world who you are and what you do right there in your window on the sidewalk.

oh, and as much time as we all spend here on archinect, i can't imagine that random conversations with strangers would have all that much effect on your productivity.

Feb 22, 06 7:37 am  · 
 · 
job job

Steven, whatever could you mean? I am the most productive person at archinect, i mean work

make has a nice storefront - like a physical model gallery
http://www.makearchitects.com/ has an image but it's randomly selected

oma has a great storefront - like a warehouse. direlict models strewn about with no clear signage. i love it

i doubt they care about walk-ins however - they somewhat provide it for clients but mostly do it for their jury of peers and colleagues. a fashion show if you will. signals received and sent through vacationing staff, students, and late night drive-bys.
just like websites - how much business do they REALLY receive from serendipitous clicking

Feb 22, 06 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

well i freelanced for greene and proppe and u just cant walk in there. they have a cute receptionist that controls the buzzer at the front door. its a very upscale neighborhood with little crime except for that federal judge who's hubby and mom got murdered a couple years ago.

Feb 22, 06 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I always get excited when I'm in a city and I walk by an architecture office with a storefront. What's even more exciting is when they have actually designed it so that it looks cool, and has some phenomenal model in the front window or something.

I suspect that while the situation has it's downsides, a person who was looking for an architect would have a similar response if they stumbled upon your storefront unexpectedly. Don't forget your "No Soliciting" sign.

Feb 22, 06 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
job job

derelict - spelling bee runner-up

Feb 22, 06 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I think of walk in Architects like I think of walk in Lawyers....now that is plain scarry!

Feb 22, 06 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I WANT TO BE ABLE TO HAVE LIVE BANDS PLAY AT MY OFFICE

Feb 22, 06 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

My office isn't a storefront, but it's in a place where it can conceivably get walk-in traffic. Occasionally we have people who know us (current or former clients, neighbors, etc.) stop by with their friends or colleagues who might be potential clients. That's the only way that the accessible location has been helpful to us, and the only "walk-in business" we've had.
I don't think that most people who walk by would think that it's ok to drop in without an appointment. Afterall, lots of other professions - from hair salons to dentist offices - have storefront locations but still expect people to make appointments.
The location situation can be a downside too, because what we do have walking in all the time is a bunch of product reps, and people trying to sell everything from paper to business software.

Feb 22, 06 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

bloopox...are they professionals? a seal and a signature...

Feb 22, 06 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I walked by a store front architect's office once and cupped my hands against the glass to peer inside. I'm retarded, I know.

But several people inside looked up and grinned real big and started waving for me to come in. One or two of them started walking towards the door as if to come get me. I bolted.

Feb 22, 06 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

hum.....sexual starving architects...near as I can tell....

Feb 22, 06 9:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: