Archinect
anchor

vice president shoots friend

4arch

gives a whole new meaning to "coming under fire from members of the administration"

Feb 13, 06 8:34 am
Living in Gin

I for one will never complain about Cheney duck hunting with Justice Scalia again.

Feb 13, 06 8:50 am  · 
 · 
rayray

i want to comment....but they would all be so mean - hope the poor chap get's better.

Feb 13, 06 8:53 am  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

if only he had shot the president....

Feb 13, 06 8:56 am  · 
 · 
cynic

careful Mao.....some might construe that comment to be a threat to the President......known in the legal system as: Treason!

Feb 13, 06 9:03 am  · 
 · 
rayray

hmmm....abilities to make good decisions quickly, failed. second in command of the USA, yes that is correct.

Feb 13, 06 9:11 am  · 
 · 
3ifs

the funniest thing about it all is that Cheyney is such a big gun nut... so much for gun safety...

Feb 13, 06 10:07 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Here's the million-dollar-question: Why did it take over 24 hours for the public to be made aware of the incident, and why did the victim have to wait three hours for medical treatment?

Feb 13, 06 10:14 am  · 
 · 
4arch

living:

they probably waited 24 hours to go public because they didn't want it to hit the sunday morning talk show circuit and/or because they wanted to wait until the east coast snow storm was in full tilt so it would get buried in the snow coverage. unfortunately that's how this game gets played.

Feb 13, 06 10:44 am  · 
 · 
norm

first he mistakes iraq for a terrorist threat...now he mistakes a 78 year old lawyer for a quaill. you can't make up how incompetent this guy is. as they said on the radio this morning...maybe if he hadn't gotten 5 deferments from serving in the army he would have learned to shoot straight.

Feb 13, 06 10:45 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

On another blog site, there was speculation that he was doped up on booze and/or prescription drugs at the time of the accident. Hence, the delay.

Feb 13, 06 10:52 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Did you guys see the interviews with the woman who owns the ranch. Great spin. Something along the lines of "Oh, that? We pepper each other all the time. In fact, I shot my husband this morning".

The NRA is not going to be happy about this.

Feb 13, 06 11:10 am  · 
 · 
dxtx

wow.. some kind of friend

what kind of gun was that?

Feb 13, 06 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
farmer

too bad it wasn't Dan Quayle

Feb 13, 06 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
jitter12

What cracks me up is the only place you see the word shot is in 3rd party interpretation. All the articles I have read have used a liberal dose of "peppered" and "sprayed." On the news last night, I had to rewind. They used both, and I just died laughing.

Being around the hunting type a bit, I know this kind of accident happens a lot. Ideally, just as in duck hunting, you only shoot up. That is why you flush the birds out. Shooting horizontal to the ground is just asking for trouble. My father in law lost a good dog that way. People get caught up in the excitement of the hunt, and accidents happen. Itchy trigger finger more like, not neccessarily incompetence.

Feb 13, 06 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
norm

sorry jitter - you shoot your dog, or someone else...you're incompetent. and there is nothing worse than an incompetent chicken-hawk with a gun.
The NRA's gun safety rule No. 1: "Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction." As the NRA explains, this means: "Know your target and what is beyond. Be absolutely sure you have identified your target beyond any doubt. Equally important, be aware of the area beyond your target. This means observing your prospective area of fire before you shoot. Never fire in a direction in which there are people or any other potential for mishap. Think first. Shoot second."

Feb 13, 06 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

let me be the first to speak out, (and in my perspective, hunting is a stupid barbaric 16th century sport made for i-do-not-want-to-say-that-word), i think it serves the person right - if you indulge in such activities, you've got to be prepared to be hit yourself. Its like car racing always involves accidents.

anyways i hope he gets better

Feb 13, 06 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

It is a known fact he did pick up a couple of dwi when in college....damn do you know how hard it is to get a dwi in Wyoming.
The fricking state as less than a million people. There just aren't
that many cops on the road.

Feb 13, 06 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Oh goodness I feel sick. Canada anyone?

Feb 13, 06 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
norm

and the other thing...cheney wasn't hunting...he was shooting farm animals. ooooooh...the big bad hunter. gimme a break...

Feb 13, 06 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Would an M.Arch. degree from a Canadian school count for NCARB requirements?

Feb 13, 06 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
e

seems bush didn't find out about it for several hours after the incident either. ???

i agree with norm jitter. by your own words, cheney is also guilty of being incompetent. "you only shoot up."

i love how the media only faults the man who got shot for not alerting his friends as to where he was, and they don't fault cheney for not shooting up.

Feb 13, 06 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
norm

e...
that's because the media parrots whatever the white house says. the white house said it, or told the farm owner to say it...they repeated it. spin baby...spin.

Feb 13, 06 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

I'd like to take Norm hunting.

Feb 13, 06 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
e

ouch.

Feb 13, 06 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
norm

let's go.

Feb 13, 06 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

shouldnt cheney be hunting Al Queda??

Feb 13, 06 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
rayray

yee haaa ! - he's got em on the run in the mountains of texas!

Feb 13, 06 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
e

they got mountains in texas?

Feb 13, 06 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I want to know was Cheny hunting out of Season?

Feb 13, 06 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I also want to know if he had his Federal Bird Stamps? I think he must of had to apply for an out of state License. Wonder if anyone in the Press even bothered to check.

Feb 13, 06 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
aeaa

I would hate to be the guy that had to admit thathe Iwas shot by an asshole named Dick..........

Feb 13, 06 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Least he doesn't have to say, Shot in the asshole by Dick. That might even be more difficult to represent to the Public. Humm, you think that might account for the delay in telling the public?

Feb 13, 06 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

whats going on, aeaa?

Feb 13, 06 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
rayray

e - don't ruin it for dick, he thinks he got osama on the run down there.

Feb 13, 06 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
e

;+)

Feb 13, 06 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
Cassiel

Hey, snooker:

"Texas officials said on Monday night that Mr. Cheney would be issued a warning citation for hunting without a proper game stamp on his license. The local sheriff said an investigation had concluded that the episode was 'no more than an accident.'"

Quoted from NTY. :)

Feb 14, 06 12:25 am  · 
 · 
Cassiel

Oh, it goes on:

"In a statement on Monday night, Mr. Cheney's office said a member of his staff had asked the Parks and Wildlife Department for all of the necessary permits for the vice president to go quail hunting in Texas and had paid $140. But, the statement said, the staff member was not informed of the need for an additional stamp, costing $7, to allow hunting of upland game birds.

It said Mr. Cheney has now sent a $7 check to the department."

Feb 14, 06 12:29 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Hahaha ... i just read the news ..

what a Dodo !!

Feb 14, 06 4:13 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

This couldn't be any funnier. I mean if the guy died it would be serious but since he's OK, we can just let the jokes roll.

I'm particularly glad the press handled themselves the way they did this time. Actually they were pissed when they found out, and wanted to know why they didn't find out sooner. Props especially to the NBC guy:
NY Times article

Feb 14, 06 8:35 am  · 
 · 
freq_arch

OK, you guys win!
I thought we had some messed up politicos up here:
Shoplifting, effigy-stepping-on, just plain wierd...
But you guys win.
Hands down.

And yes, an M.Arch from Canada is equal to an M.Arch from the US as far as NCARB goes - we use the same system for registration.

Just don't all of you'all come up at once - we don't want to saturate the market.

Feb 14, 06 8:36 am  · 
 · 
A

Howard Dean is spouting off that Cheny should resign if he ordered a leak that outed a CIA agent. Cheny decides he wants to work things out with Dean, so he invites him on a little hunting trip. What could possibly go wrong?

Feb 14, 06 8:45 am  · 
 · 
norm

so basically A is advocating...yup...shooting the messenger.

Feb 14, 06 10:08 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I was in the print shop this morning and heard my local morning radio show host guy sing, to the tune of the Aerosmith song about Janie: "Cheney's got a gun..."

Now that song is in my head. Too funny.

Feb 14, 06 10:18 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

They're easy to confuse...

Feb 14, 06 10:29 am  · 
 · 
rayray

"cheney's got a gun" to the tune by aerosmith - that's going to be brilliant!
they need to book them on saturday night live to play it. the daily show had
fun with it last night, I imagine it will continue - as it should.

Feb 14, 06 10:41 am  · 
 · 
A

I think Cheney's just been taking some advise from Jesse Ventura..

Ventura also created controversy with off-hand comments to the local media. In a 2001 interview with the Minneapolis Star Tribune's outdoor writer Dennis Anderson, he referred to his service as a Navy SEAL, and then said: "Until you hunted man, you haven't hunted yet."

Feb 14, 06 10:58 am  · 
 · 
snooker

It always bothers me when some high ranking offical pulls executive privilage, when it comes to task like hunting licenses. I always remember having to show some proof of identification and of course sign a document. So who would you say is at fault here.

I wouldn't doubt some good ole boy from Texas, just showed up and said he was Vice President of the United States and well he wanted to get an out of state hunting license and oh you don't I need some kind of Federal Bird Stamp....

The sad thing is I'm sure someone else pulled executive privilage and told the News People, sorry there will be no access to the records.

Feb 14, 06 11:28 am  · 
 · 
g-love

of course, when i heard that cheney was out shooting quail, at first i thought it was a duel of vice presidents...

and, you know who's thanking their lucky stars this morning? antonin scalia. bet he never goes on a trip with dick again...

Feb 14, 06 11:36 am  · 
 · 
mdler

how much did this hunting trip cost the US taxpayers???

Feb 14, 06 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
mm

Mdler, you ask how much did this hunting trip cost the US taxpayers?

Well, over 2,000 US soldiers died and it has cost several billion dollars since we started three years ago...

um... oh... wait... you meant the BIRD hunting trip... I thought you meant that huntin' for weapons of mass destruction and the connection to 9/11 and yadah yadah yadah trip...

sorry. My bad.

Speaking of sorry, how does Cheney go to apologize to Whittington about this whole thing? "Hey man, sorry I shot you. Here's a get-well-soon card."

Feb 14, 06 2:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: