Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

A $1,250 fine on a Property worth 10’s of millions (or more) is a joke, it is not a deterrent. Multiply the fines by 1,000 and condemn the building if protections are not erected immediately.

The code of Hammurabi comes to mind.

Dec 18, 19 10:11 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

This is so sad

Dec 18, 19 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

It's almost Christmas!  Time for a week off!  Weeeeeee! 

Dec 19, 19 9:54 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Struggling to get a pricing set out today so I can take the rest of the year off... it's like I caught senioritis.

Dec 20, 19 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Yeah... I have a little set due today, and another one on January 3, and I have just about 1% focus left for either of them right now.

Dec 20, 19 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I've been trying to get a tender set out for 2 custom stairs all week... was 50% complete on tuesday. Still feels 50% complete today. My baileys bottle is less than 50% full tho.

Dec 20, 19 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I've a set due on the 12th so no break for me. Wooo!

Dec 20, 19 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I have two deadlines on Monday.

Dec 21, 19 9:36 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I flagged it for deletion, but this is one of the more interesting spam comments ever:

My mouth is full of testimonies, my husband left the home for two years to south Africa for a tourist, where he meant this prostitute and he was bewitch by the girl my husband refuse to come back home again, i cry day and night looking for who to help me, i read a news paper about a powerful spell caster called Dr love and i contacted the spell caster to help me get my lover back to me and he ask me not to worry about it that the gods we fight for me.. he told me by mid-night when all the spirit is at rest he will cast a spell to reunite my lover back to me. and he did in less than 3 days my husband came back to me and started crying that i should forgive him, I'm so happy for what this spell caster did for me and my husband, you can also reach him at:

Dec 20, 19 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Fantastic. Where can I contact this life saving wizard?

Dec 20, 19 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

Can they complete sets?

Dec 21, 19 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

will my face morph as well?

Dec 20, 19 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Saw a nice story about a norman jaffe house in arch digest while getting a haircut today.  Cant stand the magazine but the house was cool

Dec 21, 19 9:16 am  · 
 · 
Archlandia

Which house?

Dec 21, 19 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Cool house, thanks for sharing.

Dec 22, 19 9:56 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Nice! I've always loved those great half-level seating/ stair/ hearth/ conversation pit arrangements from the late 60s/early 70s. Great exterior, too.

Dec 22, 19 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

own the book, was trying to convince some clients on a beach house remodel to do something similar...they went more vernacular in the end

norman jaffe romantic modernist

norman jaffe romantic modernist
Dec 23, 19 8:03 pm  · 
 · 

great house. like the snarkitecture additions.

Dec 25, 19 4:13 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Merry Christmas all. Today I’m made entirely of alcohol and sugar. Later, some ham.

Dec 25, 19 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Same, Donna and everyone. Nature's three more important elements reach harmonic conversion one day a year.

Dec 25, 19 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ditto but replace ham with turkey. Ham was last night.

Dec 25, 19 9:03 pm  · 
 · 

Prime rib for this fat and happy Christmas elf

Dec 25, 19 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Indian Buffet, Uncut Gems and this;

Dec 26, 19 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

We got new iPhones for Christmas. Do you guys use the facial recognition unlock option on your newish iPhones? I haven’t set it up because it freaks me the hell out, but husband and son love it?

Dec 26, 19 7:46 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

It's going to come in handy when I hit 60.

Dec 26, 19 8:18 am  · 
 · 

Apple (and Google, FB, and everyone else) are data mining. Facial recognition (and digital fingerprints) are used to build biometric databases.

Dec 26, 19 10:19 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I buy $200 android phones new off-contract every-other year so I can't help you personally. But informal survey says most young people I work with use the facial unlock.

Dec 26, 19 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I'd love a buttocks recognition unlock feature.

Dec 26, 19 3:37 pm  · 
 · 

I frequently use the butt dialing feature.

Dec 26, 19 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Hmm, I wonder it you could set it up for "facial" recognition but use something other than your actual face. I'm thinking maybe a rude hand gesture...

Dec 27, 19 3:23 pm  · 
 · 

I'm sure someone has tried it. IIRC, it didn't take long for someone to test out the fingerprint sensor with other parts of their anatomy and get it to work. 

Personally, I don't yet have an iPhone with the facial recognition feature, but I probably will soon. I do have a tablet (MS Surface) that has facial recognition that I haven't set up because I worry about it. Although, I know that my photo library apps from Apple and Google have recognition built in (to help find people in your photos), as well as my doorbell (so it can announce that so-and-so is at the door). I'll probably give in and start using the phone/tablet facial recognition eventually, but not yet.

Dec 27, 19 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

So you all may remember I was having a tough time of it. I've dialed back the hours, though my job is still stressful I can sort of see a future for myself here and the work truly is without equal in the city I am practicing in. 

On the other hand a firm I am really interested in working with reached out b/c they have an open position. It is a small scrappy start-up doing institutional, schools and retail. Schools and higher-ed is my jam. I'm pretty torn about how to evaluate this opportunity. I don't want to just go on gut feeling because i'm still trying to get over the super long hours and burnout i underwent at my current place, and want to be leaving for something good, not just fleeing current conditions.

Dec 26, 19 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Can't really relate directly given your unique work load, but we've had many people jump ship from our office because of the old grass is greener type POV. Most were disappointed because they left a stable working culture (with its fair share of boring and interesting projects) for something new and shiny. It think these people regretted their decision because the firms they jumped into did not have long-term project stability... In my area, poaching is the only way to get reliable staff tho, so often expectations are fluffed up. 

Point is: if this other place is your jam and you can be upfront with them on expected workload + future growth, then you're not necessarily fleeing only because of the working conditions, you're making a lateral move with some scheduling benefit.

Dec 26, 19 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

Small and scrappy does not sound like a place to be recovering from burnout.

Dec 26, 19 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

"small and scrappy" sounds like a euphemism for unstable and shaky. Also high potential for lots of unpaid overtime to show how "invested" you are in the firm. Add to that a fairly high likelihood of another real estate recession in the offing. Hmmmmm, proceed with caution.

Dec 27, 19 9:19 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I'm glad to hear you have your hours under control, at least. I've had a similar experience, and ended up leaving a stable, long-term, decent-paying but stressful job doing work I did not believe in, and going to a start-up in my area of interest. The stress didn't reduce, just changed to worrying about money, security, new culture, new business relationships and other things. I don't regret my decision because it leapfrogged me into being a leader in my field, but it was no less stressful. Then I left there for self-employment--again, no less stress, just different stressors.

Dec 27, 19 9:52 am  · 
 · 

Wood Guy hits on something with the different stressors, and I'm curious if it carries through to others ... it has for me. Often changing the stressor is enough to allow me to recover from the previous period of stress. I think another key to that is managing the stressor to keep it at some type of healthy stress level overall.

Dec 27, 19 11:13 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Tempo

Dec 29, 19 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Ende Neu

Dec 31, 19 8:25 am  · 
 · 

At this new year let’s not lose sight of our responsibility to make the world a better place for all. Best wishes are no substitute for concerted action. Dog knows we desperately need it. 

Now get to work.

Dec 31, 19 10:29 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Don't tell me what to do, I have several very important retail projects to finish! ;)

Jan 2, 20 11:36 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Miles, how can this very expensive stair I'm working on contribute to the betterment of us all? Should I try instead to convince the client to build a typical wood structure and donate the cost difference to charity? /s.

Jan 2, 20 11:50 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

NS, the stair should be designed to create it's own energy with each footfall. Said footfall energy can be used by the building and stuff . . .

Jan 2, 20 11:52 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I think the monitoring systems would consume what little power will be generated. Also, it's an exterior stair in a region with 2m annual snowfall averages. It won't even cover the energy consumption cost to heat the shed where the snow shovel is stored. 8-)

Jan 2, 20 11:55 am  · 
 · 

If you're thinking snow shovel, you're not thinking expensive enough of a stair.

Jan 2, 20 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Good call EI. I should get heat-tracing grooved into the granite treads. I'll set up a gas generator near-by to ensure they will always be toasty warm. No need to even put shoes on to go outside.

Jan 2, 20 12:12 pm  · 
 · 

That's more like it. You also want to create some type of automatic squeegee system to remove water droplets when the snowfall is heavy enough that the heat alone won't evaporate the snow, only melt it.

Jan 2, 20 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Only 2m of snow, pffft, we get like 6.5m around here.

Jan 2, 20 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

NS, how about making each riser actually a tiny hydraulic snow plow, programmed to operate in sequence to move all snow to the bottom?

Jan 2, 20 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Chad, the st Laurence river greatly reduces the annual snowfall. 2m is plenty in this area to cause wide-spread panic. Good thing I live a few hours north of the project and have plenty of fluffy white stuff on the ground.

Jan 2, 20 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Atelier, good idea, but what happens at the bottom when all the snow piles up?

Jan 2, 20 1:17 pm  · 
 · 

Trapdoor

Jan 2, 20 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I'm sure there is something written in my code about trap doors at the bottom of exit stairs.

Jan 2, 20 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

NS - In America we have no restrictions on trap doors other than they must be fire rated. 8-)  

Oh and here in the valley 7cm of snow would cause panic, take a 30 minute drive up to the mountains and you can easily get 60cm in a 12 hour period and no one blinks an eye.  Got to love western Colorado.  

Jan 2, 20 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We'll get a 30cm overnight storm once or twice a year here (ottawa) but just a few mm sprinkle and Toronto calls in the army. 

I'll make sure to spec a fire-rated trap door.

Jan 2, 20 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

NS - You expect all the answers from me? I thought you were a perfessional...

Jan 2, 20 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Chad - I was once "snowed in" at the bus station in Odessa, TX. You could still clearly see the pavement under the light dusting of snow - in most of the rest of the US, and certainly Canada, I'm not sure the TV weather man would have even mentioned it... \

Jan 2, 20 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

OMG, an inch of snow! We're all gonna die!

Jan 2, 20 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

What is this snow of which you speak?

Jan 3, 20 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

You use it to make snow cones.

Jan 3, 20 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

lemon flavoured?

Jan 3, 20 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

cherry flavored or get the fuck out

Jan 3, 20 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I don't know if I have the time to commit to this argument

Jan 3, 20 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I don't either. You have lemon, I'll have cherry, it's all good.

Jan 3, 20 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Lemon and cherry are compatible flavors. No hate allowed.

Jan 3, 20 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

NS, I say we gang up on tintt.

Jan 3, 20 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Perhaps... as long as you're not a secret "blue raspberry" admirer. That's such an overused flavour. Can't go wrong with cherry...

Jan 3, 20 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Blue raspberry is for those who have no style.

Jan 3, 20 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I agree.

Jan 3, 20 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

just don't eat the yellow snow

Jan 3, 20 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

But how else would know if it's lemon flavour? You gotta take chances... live a little once in a while.

Jan 3, 20 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

You only say that NS because your Canadian. Up north you're all too polite to ever pee in the snow where someone else could see it. Also I could totally see some Canadian running around with snow cone syrup randomly flavoring clean snow.

Jan 3, 20 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That would be an odd superhero.

Jan 3, 20 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

We get the superhero we deserve.

Jan 5, 20 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

OVER!

Jan 4, 20 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

trying to follow, can I get some back story and some footnotes?

Jan 4, 20 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

WTF did I just read in that link? It's like an ESL toddler with AHD tried to write a political manifesto.

Jan 5, 20 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Not into Skinny Puppy I take it, or following the end of the world?

Jan 5, 20 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

Things are currently following the Mad Max backstory exactly. However I agree with Chad, looked like chatter between two AI bots.

Jan 5, 20 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

VX Gas Attack

Jan 5, 20 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

b3 - If you're going to copy and paste articles from another site at least take the time to rework the formatting so your plagiarism is legible.

Jan 6, 20 10:34 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Plagiarism! Bwahhhhhhhhhha.

Jan 6, 20 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

The End of the World: The End of the Beginning, the End of the End - Peter Puppy ?

Jan 6, 20 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

b3 - I' wouldn't admit that you 'wrote' that pile of crap

Jan 7, 20 11:31 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Ok. Chad. You do you, Chad.

Jan 7, 20 11:55 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I always do. Hence why I post under my real name. Nothing to hide or be embarrassed about.

Jan 7, 20 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I am so high, I can hear heaven
I am so high, I can hear heaven
Whoa, but heaven, no, heaven don't hear me

And they say
That a hero could save us
I'm not gonna stand here and wait
I'll hold onto the wings of the eagles
Watch as we all fly away

Someone told me
Love would all save us
But, how can that be
Look what love gave us

A world full of killing
And blood spilling
That world never came

And they say
Watch as we all fly away

Now that the world isn't ending
It's love that I'm sending to you
It isn't the love of a hero
And that's why I fear it won't do

And they say
Watch as we all fly away

And they're watching us
They're watching us
As we all fly away

And they're watching us
They're watching us
As we all fly away

And they're watching us
They're watching us
As we all fly away

Chad

Jan 7, 20 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Chad

Jan 7, 20 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

mEH

Jan 7, 20 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Never made it as a wise man I couldn't cut it as a poor man stealing Tired of living like a blind man I'm sick of sight without a sense of feeling And this is how you remind me This is how you remind me of what I really am This is how you remind me of what I really am It's not like you to say sorry I was waiting on a different story This time I'm mistaken For handing you a heart worth breaking And I've been wrong I've been down Into the bottom of every bottle These five words in my head scream Are we having fun yet Yet, yet, yet, no no Yet, yet, yet, no no It's not like you didn't know that I said I love you and I swear I still do And it must have been so bad 'Cause living with him must have damn near killed you And this is how you remind me of what I really am This is how you remind me of what I really am It's not like you to say sorry I was waiting on a different story This time I'm mistaken For handing you a heart worth breaking And I've been wrong I've been down Into the bottom of every bottle These five words in my head, scream Are we having fun yet Yet, yet, yet, no no Yet, yet, yet, no no Yet, yet, yet, no no Yet, yet, yet, no no Never made it as a wise man I couldn't cut it as a poor man stealing And this is how you remind me This is how you remind me This is how you remind me of what I really am This is how you remind me of what I really am It's not like you to say sorry I was waiting on a different story This time I'm mistaken For handing you a heart worth breaking And I've been wrong I've been down Into the bottom of every bottle These five words in my head, scream Are we having fun yet Yet, yet Are we having fun yet Yet, yet Are we having fun yet Yet, yet Are we having fun yet Yet, yet, no, no

Jan 7, 20 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Chad!

Jan 7, 20 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

it runs in the family

Ammon Bundy, one of the leaders of the 41-day occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge headquarters near Burns, Ore., walks away after speaking with reporters on Jan. 4.

Jan 5, 20 12:34 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That camp works well in the snow.

Jan 5, 20 8:31 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

*camo

Jan 5, 20 8:31 am  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

White Supremacists and Federal Grifters are not great examples of thoughtful persons.

Jan 6, 20 9:52 am  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

so you're saying not a good image for Happy Anarchy....like I think this is too obvious?Image result for acid techno happy face"

Jan 6, 20 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

3'-0" - did some research, think you went the fake news route, but to your point - "Bundy saga reveals the risk of cozying up to extremists". The Washington Post. Retrieved April 27, 2014. "The SPLC puts "patriot" groups in a separate category from white supremacists and others organized around hate. The patriot groups make a constitutional argument to justify antipathy toward the federal government; this can be seen in the noise about secession, nullification, "state sovereignty" and the primacy of the 10th  Amendment."

Jan 6, 20 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

so Architecturally speaking - ADA is bullshit! (Federal Law)...when they going to make a play about Aaron Burr?

Jan 6, 20 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

The void isn't listening.

Jan 7, 20 11:33 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

what in the bloody hell did I drag myself into here.

Jan 7, 20 11:42 am  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

Show me a "patriot" group that isn't entirely white people trying desperately to cling to white (male) privilege, and I'll show you a flying pig singing "This Land is My Land". They are federal grifters because they refused to pay the Feds for grazing on federal land. And then they acted like ignorant assholes ("ignoranuses" to poach a term) with pew-pew guns because God endowed them with a virulent form of lunancy.

Jan 7, 20 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

The Bundys are domestic terrorists.

Jan 7, 20 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The patriots were eliminated. Time to move on.

Jan 7, 20 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

3'-0" sounds like lots of speculation and assumptions, also known as "fake news". I would suggest SPLC does a much more rigorous job researching such things and determining the groups versus your highly speculative assumptions. Why is this about race? Do you want it to be? My narrative would of been more about anti-federalist control, perhaps a more State based control of things leaving the Federal government to regulating interstate trade only and supply national defense? of course they would be domestic terrorists if anti-federal government, but what if the state of Texas had a militia that disagreed with the federal government. Anyway, NCARB sucks, dam feds. I can fake news too bruh.

Jan 8, 20 12:20 am  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

anyway, the patriots are indeed out, going to root for the Saints!

Jan 8, 20 12:21 am  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

wait the Vikings beat the Saints, so I'll root for that racist cultural appropriation of Skandanavian people as a football team...

Jan 8, 20 12:33 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Non Sequitur and Happy Anarchy should switch names to better fit the character of their posts.

Jan 7, 20 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

What would you suggest? 8-)

Jan 7, 20 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

fear and loathing sunglasses

Is this better?

Jan 7, 20 1:22 pm  · 
 · 

I think tduds comment wins the internet for today

Jan 7, 20 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

*bows*

Jan 7, 20 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

well if I'm going to be a non-sequitar

Image result for steven wright

Jan 8, 20 12:21 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Total splooch.

Jan 8, 20 6:23 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Wipe yourself off NS and get back to work.

Jan 8, 20 11:08 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Uhg.  Time for Chad to bitch a bit about his own ineptitude.  

So somehow everyone on a project I'm involved in (myself included) missed that we have exposed sprinkler heads under our exposed stairs. Did I mention this is a middle school and there are built in benches under these stairs? There are. Oh and the risers of the stairs are perforated metal so you can see through them.  Neat.

The standard wire cage will allow the students easy access to the sprinkler heads oh so fragile glass bulb.  We can't used a vandal resistant head because there is no UL assembly for this situation.   

Fuck fuck fuck.  

Bitching over.  

Jan 8, 20 11:02 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Jan 8, 20 11:54 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Lose the bench, enclose the portion under the stair? A huge design departure tho.

Jan 8, 20 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Thought of that. Everything is already built. Also the stairs have glass under them. I think we're limited to some type of perforated metal shield. :( That or leave it and just have the teachers keep an eye on students. 8-)

Jan 8, 20 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Electrify the sprinkler heads.

Jan 8, 20 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Suggested that. Something about child abuse was mentioned. To be fair I stopped listening.

Jan 8, 20 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

asbestos.

Jan 8, 20 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Thank you for posting this Chad. I recently drew a wall section with a ridiculously bad thermal bridge, and it really threw me for a loop because I just felt like it was a totally dumb mistake. But I’m reminded, whenever other people admit their mistakes, that architecture is really, really hard, and mistakes like this get made all the time. Nothing to be embarrassed by, just learn from it and move on.

Jan 8, 20 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Thousands of elements, each with their own set of rules that change regularly, and you missed something? Shocking. Could something like this work: https://www.mcmaster.com/wire-cloth?

Jan 8, 20 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Personally I liked the labels... But... you might, just might, switch from perforated to vertical bar treads. Then water from above can go through them. It's a cheat I've used in part storage mezzanines... but with those, I can also loosely say that pallet system is "furninshings". We don't sprinkler under those parts mezzanines... Walk the CBO through the idea and offer up closer spacing on the overhead sprinklers. The other pitch would be with the open treads, you can't get smoke or heat buildup.

Jan 8, 20 8:04 pm  · 
 · 

Two thoughts: First, can you take the same perforated metal you're using at the risers and "conceal" the underside of the stair, and change the sprinkler head to a concealed head? This is in only one location right?

Second, I say leave it alone and see what happens. Unless this has been an issue elsewhere in the district, someone is probably over thinking this. I've seen a saying before that I think applies here: Make it idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot

My middle school had one of the fire extinguisher cabinet's glass doors get broken in a fight and it was almost an entire year before someone thought to discharge the extinguisher when all the teachers were in a faculty meeting and not monitoring the halls. I'm guessing that if you don't bring attention to it by trying to protect it more, the kids will likely leave it alone.

Jan 8, 20 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

I assume it's already built? can you subtly switch it out for a side wall head?

Jan 8, 20 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I say switch the head for a concealed pop-out duder and put it behind a little piece of perf metal that gets blends into some geometry of the underside of stairs.

Jan 8, 20 9:27 pm  · 
 · 

Camouflage it with a field of faux heads. Pack the entire underside of the stair if necessary. Alternatively place a motion sensor alarm with klaxon set to go off if anything gets with 12” of it. Also live video feed to the principal’s office.

But Non wins for simplicity.

Jan 9, 20 9:17 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Thanks for all the great responses!

Jan 9, 20 9:54 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I'll do a public service so no others fall into the same trap I'm in.

Jan 9, 20 10:06 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Huh, that's weird, I had a nice response with pictures but it didn't post. Odd.

Jan 9, 20 10:15 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Because I like to learn, and I'm not above being educated in the code, and NFPA; where is this sprinkler head requirement in open stairs, of non-combustible construction, in non-storage areas required by NFPA?

Jan 9, 20 10:27 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I don't believe you troll.

Jan 9, 20 10:28 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

For everyone else . . . .

Just so no one else falls into the same situation I’m in.

1.  Everything has already been built.
  2. The new principal called this concern to our attention.
  3. The exposed construction of the stairs is a concept to promote open and collaborative learning.    It also increases visibility to promote safety, aka no places to hide.
  4. Code requires a sprinkler head within 7’-0” horizontally along the angle of the stringer.
  5. There is no UL listing for a vandal resistant or pop out sprinkler head that isn’t installed in a GWB construction, thus the city won’t let us use one (dumb I know)
  6. Any protective shield we install must be 70% open, be a minimum of 3” away from the sprinkler head, and not attach to the sprinkler pipe, head, or cage.  

The codes we're using are the 2015 IBC and the 2013 NFPA

Jan 9, 20 10:28 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Listen, Chad, you're the troll, Chad.

Jan 9, 20 10:44 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Hmm. I've been reading 2013 NFPA and 2015 IBC and can't find the 7'-0" citation. What section is it under? I looked under Chapter 9 of IBC, and Chapter 8 of NFPA; can't find either. The open stairs at the YWCA has sprinklers at the landings, per NFPA, but not down the stringer. Is it a state amendment to IBC?

Jan 10, 20 8:43 am  · 
 · 
midlander

what's the height under the stair at the sprinkler? shouldn't there be something to block off the low clearance space anyway? maybe i'm missing something in this...

Jan 8, 20 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

That's what the bench is for!

Jan 8, 20 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

oh! i somehow assumed it was against the back wall. just block out the end around the sprinkler with some kind of wire mesh, make it useable for hanging decorations or something. no one should be letting middle school kids play around under there anyway, sprinklers or not.

Jan 9, 20 8:26 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

that's a deep bench!

Jan 10, 20 11:48 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Yup, 10 feet wide. Covered in mosaic tile. It's purdy and functional.

Jan 13, 20 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

That's a nice way to provide cane detection under the stair.

Jan 13, 20 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

You dropped a bomb on me, baby!

Jan 9, 20 9:50 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Anyone know how to block someone on this forum?

Jan 9, 20 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'm beginning to think you don't like me Chad Kroeger.

Jan 9, 20 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Naw, I'm just fucking with you. Besides a young troll like you needs to be thrown a softball every once an a while else you wither a die.

Jan 9, 20 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Meh, you come and go, like a fart. I'm here, like America. You like America, don't you, Chad?

Jan 9, 20 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

You're a commie pinko Russian bot.

Jan 9, 20 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Pinko Commie? OK, Mr. Cohen.

Jan 9, 20 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I got a wee one on the hook.

Jan 9, 20 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I love n00bs!

Jan 9, 20 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

8008s? type on calculator

Jan 9, 20 11:22 pm  · 
 · 

Everything ok b3ta? This bout of shitposting seems out of character for you.

Jan 9, 20 6:51 pm  · 
 · 

I'm recalling his normal as like a day or two (week max), every 6-10 months.

Jan 9, 20 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

EA, all I did was post my blog link, and if you look at my blog, it's been consistently about one thing; music/videos + anything topical. So why is that it gets shit on?

Jan 9, 20 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Let's remember who Wine CaveMAN is = FRaC. So if anyone has a shitposting herstory, it's FRaC.

Jan 9, 20 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

I dont think anyone's getting shit on. EA just pointing out your posts seem particularly cranky over the past week or so ... i actually had wondered the same thing ...

Jan 10, 20 9:27 am  · 
 · 

So that’s why it only took one post for me to add Winecaveman to the ignore lost ...

Jan 10, 20 9:29 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Bench, honestly, that's not the case at all. If people have issues with my taking exception with Thayer's comments relative modern/contemporary architecture, then IDK. Thread Central was specifically created for Blog links like mine, if you don't like them, ignore them, they generally are not responded to, unless you unleash your fat-phobia.

Jan 10, 20 10:10 am  · 
 · 

I get winecaveman and happyanarchy confused (I have them both blocked which makes the Iranian cultural sites thread delightful to read)) but one is FRaC and one is CT, yes?

Jan 10, 20 10:10 am  · 
 · 

b3ta, you can post what you want to on your blog, this thread, etc. ... I'm not telling you to stop (well, maybe consider stop copy/pasting blocks of song lyrics in this thread ... just a request though, not a demand). I'm just commenting that the posts these last couple of weeks have been a little out of character for you, and I was wondering if there was something else going on. 

If anyone really wants to know, It was mostly the posts against Chad that had me wondering. Yes, Chad is new around here (at least compared to most other active members) ... but nothing I've seen him do has been that trollish or warranted the type of responses you're giving him. The exception potentially being your posts about sprinkler head and the code references ... still waiting to see how that plays out.

Jan 10, 20 11:30 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Sprinkler head update - two of them will have a metal mesh cage build around the heads (3" clear from the wire cage and no attached to any part of the sprinkler system. These heads are close to a wall and a built in bench so fastening won't be a problem. The sprinkler head at the main stair a harder fix. We're trying to see if it can be moved to a higher location. This will require depressurizing and draining the system in that zone.

Jan 13, 20 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Girls, you're both pretty!

Jan 9, 20 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Awe, thanks. ::blush::

Jan 13, 20 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Neil Peart....  noooooo

Jan 10, 20 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

:( heaven has a new beat, with a double bass. I kind of think he didn't believe in heaven though.

Jan 10, 20 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

blocking or ignoring people is a sign of intolerance and possibly bigotry.

Jan 10, 20 7:18 pm  · 
 · 

I am most decidedly intolerant of persistently obnoxious idiots. That’s sanity, not bigotry.

Jan 10, 20 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I enjoy all types of dumpster fires. #alldumpsterfiresmatter.

Jan 10, 20 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

I consider certain religious groups to be an accumulation of obnoxious idiots, even find some backwards cultures to be same, does that make me a bigot or sane?

Jan 10, 20 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

only certain religious groups? Why split hairs?

Jan 10, 20 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

well if I had to rank the shit brain accumulations of obnoxious idiots (1 harmless, 10 holy shit we all die):

1) bhuddists

2) hindus

3) unitarians

4)scientologists

5) christian scientists

6) Judaism

7) satanists

8) Protestant (all branches - pro gay or not)

9)Catholics

10) Muslims

Jan 11, 20 1:03 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You think Catholics are more harmful that Evangelicals? Yeah, ok.

Jan 13, 20 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Atheists should be on that list. In the top 5.

Jan 13, 20 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

You should read up on Hindu Nationalism...

Jan 13, 20 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I don't see a difference between 1 and 10. It's all the same to me.

Jan 13, 20 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Any ideology is hijackable by charlatans and demogogues. No ideology is inherently violent. What you're listing is the extent to which outside influences have co-opted a universally human tendency toward authoritarianism to their own violent ends.

But also your ranking isn't even close to accurate.

Jan 13, 20 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

"7) satanists" lol

Jan 13, 20 1:58 pm  · 
 · 

No Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons on the list? I suppose JWs would be considered protestant, but Mormons are their own special brand of christianity ... I'm lumping them together because of the similarities of their proselytizing methods. Are Wiccans considered satanists? What about other pagans?

Jan 13, 20 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Tduds, excellent choice of words with "tendency toward authoritarianism". I personally chose agenticity when describing such ideologies.

Jan 13, 20 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Well that god weird rather quickly.

Jan 13, 20 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

^Good freudian slip.

Jan 13, 20 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Thanks.

Jan 13, 20 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

sneaky, you are correct, catholics were crazier back in the day, practially religous hobbiest these days (like moderate muslims or protestants, they do the thing when need)...but these days Catholics just employ pedo philes.

Jan 13, 20 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

architecture.

Jan 13, 20 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Too lazy to look it up... Don't hindus and buddists in India hate eachother?

Jan 13, 20 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

"blocking or ignoring people is a sign of intolerance and possibly bigotry."

LOL get over yourself. You're not entitled to anyone's attention.

Jan 13, 20 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

Notice the Trumpian language of "possibly...X". It's a disease of modern adult communication that has evolved from grade school teasing. Confidently identify the weak noun ("intolerance") and whisper the socially-damned noun ("bigotry") to add spice. Hallmark of the disingenuous and sophomoric.

Jan 13, 20 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

"The progressive liberal agenda isn’t about being nice. It’s about confronting evil, violence, trauma, and death. It’s about acknowledging the ways systemic power, systemic oppression, systemic evil, work in our world around us. I’m not fighting for diversity. I’m not fighting for tolerance. I’m fighting to overturn horrific systems of dehumanizing oppression." https://medium.com/@tuckerfitzgerald/intolerant-liberals-4ecd712ac939#.mrfsjqn45

Jan 13, 20 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

tduds thats sounds mighty religious to me. all you will do is replace one system with another. switching the oppression around assuming you agree balance exists. maybe balance doesn't exist, maybe every single human on earth can live a life of happiness and abundance? (also, go catch on the satanist rank, aethiest would be right above that and a good chance evangelicals a branch of protestants could put them at the bottom of the list, with crazies like Branch Davidians getting a 11 ranking...)

Jan 13, 20 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

If a society based on equity and human rights is religious to you, then sure. Sounds like a great religion.

Jan 14, 20 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

"I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower. You have more fun as a follower, but you make more money as a leader." Creed Bratton

Jan 14, 20 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

tduds, what I'm saying is you sound like an Evangelical....the very people the "intellectuals" somewhat claim to be detached from - old time "religion" - they actually just emulate under different "terms"....in short the Left Wing Liberal is much closer Mentally/philosophically to the Right Wing Conservative, just different words for different things. Different "systems", but for the most part same. It's all part of the same systemic bullshit. These days I can't tell the difference between a republican or a democrat - both nutts jobs brainwahsed by the cult of journalism and politics. .....

Jan 14, 20 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

Cult- leaders F people in the open. - good point, you mean mainstream media?

Jan 14, 20 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

More like the current POTUS and his 'staff'

Jan 15, 20 10:18 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Jan 15, 20 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Happy Anarchy: If you want to make a point you need to actually make the point.

Jan 15, 20 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

tduds, what I'm saying is you sound like an Evangelical....

How? What am I saying that Evangelicals are saying?

the very people the "intellectuals" somewhat claim to be detached from - 

I never claimed to be an intellectual or detached from religions

in short the Left Wing Liberal is much closer Mentally/philosophically to the Right Wing Conservative, just different words for different things. 

How?

Different "systems", but for the most part same. It's all part of the same systemic bullshit. 

No it isn't. Give a single example. Anything that backs up this ridiculous assertion.

These days I can't tell the difference between a republican or a democrat - both nutts jobs brainwahsed by the cult of journalism and politics. .....

Your problem is assuming there are only two kinds of people: Republicans or Democrats. Your other problem is misusing the words "republican" and "democrat" when you mean "conservative" and "progressive." Groups of people are not ideologies, and ideologies are not political parties. If you have a point to make, address what I've said. Don't pretend to know who I am so you can dismiss me.

Jan 15, 20 1:08 pm  · 
 · 

Rock on, tduds! You have so much patience and show so much wisdom here.

Jan 15, 20 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
proto

wow, that work vs play thread...soo many potential directions it can go...was going to comment, but refrained because it deserves more clever snark than i can summon at the moment

Jan 14, 20 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

That whole thread could easily be made into a Lifetime original movie. The question then is, who will be cast as Rick? I mean Steve Buscemi has always been the "go-to" actor to play Rick previously, but some seem to be making a case for casting Norm Macdonald instead.

Jan 15, 20 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

How did I miss that thread for 3 whole days good heavens I have some catching up to do!!! Damn Addendum submittals.

Jan 15, 20 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
proto

maybe advice giving malcolm?

Jan 15, 20 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

On a tech topic:

Does anyone else have the same inability to see more than a handful of posts or comments in the histories tab that I do?  Someone may have 2000+, but I can only scroll down 2-3 pages max.  Any insights?  

Jan 16, 20 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I just scrolled through your history until I reached Jan 2019 comments... then I figured I had scrolled far enough.

Jan 16, 20 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Far enough, indeed. How much drivel can one Canadian withstand?

Jan 16, 20 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

Lots as we grew up on American TV

Jan 16, 20 6:24 pm  · 
 · 

I took it up with the BGH a while ago over in the comments here: https://archinect.com/blog/article/49214439/archinect-s-new-account-settings-page. I still haven't figured out why it stops loading older comments at some point. I don't think the BGH has either ... nor do they care. YMMV

Jan 16, 20 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I still don’t have Ricky on ignore so I think my threshold
is high.

Jan 16, 20 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Almosthip, I grew up on French Canadian tv.... and the Simpson’s.

Jan 16, 20 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

I clicked your history and it only goes as far as Ian 4 2020. this is on a tablet. on my phone it seems to go back to dec 21 2019

Jan 16, 20 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

NS. I grew up in southern Ontario and got Detroit Fox Network

Jan 16, 20 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect

@citizen - what browser/operating system are you on? just tested this with a number of different accounts and can see all user's full comment history. for example, here's a screenshot showing comments from you, from 2014, after a few minutes of continuous scrolling: https://prnt.sc/qpahow

Jan 17, 20 6:31 pm  · 
 · 

This is quality internetting, here. You guys make me laugh!!

Jan 16, 20 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ooooh, you can moderate me?

Jan 16, 20 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

It was -42c this morning (-53 with windchill) if you don’t

Jan 16, 20 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

Laugh at things you go crazy

Jan 16, 20 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Wow, my first re-tweeting. Thanks, Donna! =o]

Jan 16, 20 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

only -23C here... but I was on site yesterday in the mud and +5C. On one of my projects, at this time last year, they had mobile cranes installed directly on the ice (St Laurence river)... this year, nothing.

Jan 16, 20 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Man, you guys are a sturdy bunch.

Jan 17, 20 1:25 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Oooooo, -29c today. No big deal, still don’t need my tuque. This mane won’t be tamed.

Jan 17, 20 7:36 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

I went to Dairy Queen and got some ice cream, was only -32

Jan 17, 20 8:49 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Cookie dough blizzard?

Jan 17, 20 9:05 am  · 
 · 

Wait, -42 CELCIUS? That's not a real temperature, unless you're on Pluto or something, right? BRrrrrrr.

Jan 17, 20 9:10 am  · 
 · 

And Non that's just a screen snip. No moderating.

Jan 17, 20 9:11 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Don’t start again with Pluto... and yes, -40 is a thing.

Jan 17, 20 9:15 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

Got a Caramel sundae

Jan 17, 20 9:22 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I've been out backpacking (for fun) in -40 F. That's when I lived in Northern Minnesota (Canada's slippers)

Jan 17, 20 9:25 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

-40 is the point at which F and c cross each other (-40 is the same temperature, in both systems).

But it's only -1 F here today.

Jan 17, 20 10:49 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Yup. It's just COLD at that point, regardless of the units.

Jan 17, 20 10:58 am  · 
 · 

I've become a wimp living in a more temperate climate. Negative temps never use to be much of a problem for me as it was normal that we wouldn't get above 0 F for weeks at a time ... we never really got to -40 F though. Now I complain about it being too cold at +40 F.

Jan 17, 20 12:25 pm  · 
 · 

Everyday, I'm the opposite. Grew up in Arizona and would put on a sweater at 70F. After living in the Midwest for 20 years I find 65F to be an ideal temp.

Jan 17, 20 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

Still  had to go do that inspection though

Jan 17, 20 11:21 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Ah, wind chill.

Jan 17, 20 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

My mild-weather candy ass bows in humility to you frigid-climate studs and studlettes.

Jan 17, 20 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Studlettes . . . giggle.

Jan 17, 20 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

that awkward moment when Celsius and Fahrenheit agree

Jan 17, 20 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

you should move

Jan 17, 20 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

Archlandia...nah they pay me pretty well to stay here

Jan 17, 20 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Awesome character name for climate-themed sci-fi thriller: 

Dr. Celsius Fahrenheit. She's cooool..... but hot!

Jan 17, 20 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

Must be a damn good salary!

Jan 17, 20 4:35 pm  · 
 · 

-41 but feels like -52

How could anyone possibly feel the difference?

Jan 17, 20 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
BIG = Bjarke Ingels Goebbels going to shill for Bolsonaro! Way to go BIG!!
Jan 18, 20 11:06 am  · 
 · 

That's a solid acronym joke, b3ta.

Jan 19, 20 9:34 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

Laughed to hard at this because it’s true

Jan 20, 20 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

This is so confusing! The pool water temperature and the pool room air temperature are measured in different ways?!

Jan 21, 20 6:02 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Correct. F is still very common for pools and cooking temps.

Jan 21, 20 6:26 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

C for actual room/exterior temp unless you have an older thermostat.

Jan 21, 20 6:27 am  · 
 · 

Scrap 'em both and use kelvins. It’s 263k in Paradise today.

Jan 21, 20 9:13 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

so... -10C Miles?  It's 253K here (-4F)

Jan 21, 20 9:23 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

I like that idea. Sounds warmer

Jan 21, 20 10:14 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Wait until shit gets really cold and hits absolute zero.

Jan 21, 20 10:35 am  · 
 · 

With kelvins it's never below zero. T-shirts and bikinis for everyone!

Jan 21, 20 10:56 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

You first in the bikini.

Jan 21, 20 10:59 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Nah man, nothing at all for the win.

Jan 21, 20 11:05 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Crazy Canadians, always showing off their berries.

Jan 21, 20 12:07 pm  · 
 · 

Canadian blueberries.

Jan 21, 20 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

So I left my phone at home today.  Now I have no excuse not to super productive.  Damn it. 

Jan 22, 20 11:58 am  · 
 · 
tduds

I miss "designing." It's been a bit since I felt like a designer.

Who's with me?

Jan 23, 20 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I’ve got a pile of designing to do and no time to devote to it. Spent a whole 20min on a new office tower, then sprinkle a few hours over 2 weeks on 3 separate interior design jobs all while keeping every other fire tamed. So far I’m failing at all of these. Friday is a design day tomorrow, once I get site things out of the way and whatever else catches on fire in the next 12 hours.

Jan 23, 20 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

As much as I'd like to (and half-plan to) venture out on my own at some point, the above post is a big reason why I might not.

Jan 23, 20 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

I told some people to design stuff today

Jan 23, 20 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

On the upside, this current project is so design-lite that I can focus my efforts on learning the ins & outs of project management. I'm doing okay.

Jan 24, 20 11:33 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Last week I was told I was getting a design project, albeit a deep industrial facility without much opportunity for innovation. Then I was told I was off the project. Then I was told I'm back on it, but the SE will be the lead designer and I am just there for exterior enclosure detailing...I'm still going to see how much design I can slip in surreptitiously.

Jan 24, 20 2:29 pm  · 
 · 

That's the spirit!

Jan 24, 20 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh dear.

Jan 24, 20 5:58 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It’s good. Makes a great read during your commute.

Jan 24, 20 6:07 am  · 
 · 

For those tough questions you have to call in the experts.

Jan 24, 20 8:11 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I typically use this bat signal.

Jan 24, 20 8:23 am  · 
 · 

If you subscribe to Malcolm Gladwell’s 10k hours rule, I’m sure Rick is an expert in pretending he’s an expert on all subjects.

Jan 24, 20 9:23 am  · 
 · 

Every dictionary definition of a word equals about 2,000 hours, right?

Jan 24, 20 10:15 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Non: you must have a much longer commute than me.

Jan 24, 20 11:34 am  · 
 · 
midlander

it's like sumo wrestling except the combatants substitute ignorance and inexperience for mass and technique.

Jan 24, 20 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

This picture, from the demo phase of a library project, makes me feel so sad.

Jan 24, 20 3:09 pm  · 
 · 

"I'm just a little black rain cloud, hovering under the honey tree."

Jan 24, 20 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I laughed.

Jan 24, 20 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

My 3y old would kill for that Winnie the Pooh thing.

Jan 24, 20 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

is there an "existing Pooh to remain" note in there somewhere?

Jan 24, 20 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

curtkram, one of my early jobs was doing themed retail interior design - I have written essentially that note on drawings.

Jan 24, 20 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Is that President Xi?

Jan 24, 20 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Hopefully any 'existing pooh to remain' notes are NOT at the restrooms.

Jan 25, 20 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I got a cheerful surprise. Some Canadian plans arrived on my desk. ooooo.

Jan 24, 20 5:42 pm  · 
1  · 
curtkram

is NS harassing you?

Jan 24, 20 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

No these are engineering plans.

Jan 24, 20 6:25 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Ah, mine will certainly come in on Monday then.

Jan 24, 20 9:05 pm  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Looking forward to it!

Jan 25, 20 11:26 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Do they have maple syrup stains? Are the notes and dimensions in Canadian?

Jan 25, 20 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Damn it, I know I should not dimension my drawings in fractions of hockey sticks.

Jan 25, 20 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Yes, they are dimensioned and annotated in Canadian.

Jan 25, 20 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

are there contractors in Colorado that can build n canadian, or do they all have to be updated?

Jan 25, 20 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

We shall see.

Jan 26, 20 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

This is how we do project meetings up here

Jan 26, 20 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Awesome! That ax and funny L-shaped stick should make for some lively 'discussion.'

Jan 26, 20 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^you're a funny L-shaped stick

Jan 29, 20 9:39 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

So I had a client meeting with a guy who just got back from Vietnam via hong kong. Was totally freaked about the whole corona hangover thing that I wanted to cancel the meeting. Luckily our schedules didn't work out and we just had a phone conference. What would you have done? Would you have gone to the meeting? I was about to call him and tell him I'm going to be wearing a mask and I'm not going to shake your hand. Sorry. (FWIW - I have two immuno compromised little ones at home and am myself close to the category with asthma) Hopefully the coronavirus turns out to be hysteria but you never know when the next spanish flu is going to take out 50 million people???

Jan 29, 20 1:09 am  · 
 · 

You're not being overly concerned if you have immuno-compromised loved ones in your life. I'm glad it worked out to just be a phone conference but! In the future if you're nervous about looking like a jerk maybe just put the blame on yourself: wear a facemask, decline to shake hands, and say "Sorry, I feel like I'm coming down with something and I'm hyper-vigilant about spreading illness because I have an immuno-compromised child at home." The key is then you have to *act* like you truly are hyper-vigilant: don't touch your face, don't touch door handles, don't pick up a pen or remote right after a colleague did, etc.

Jan 29, 20 8:53 am  · 
 · 
midlander

look up the current statistics on the flu season in the US... the flu has killed 54 children in the US this year, but no one is cancelling travel plans over that. in your situation it might be reasonable to wear a mask anytime you meet someone who's been flying, regardless where from. i think vietnam has had about 4 cases which really isn't much out of 90 million people...

Jan 29, 20 8:57 am  · 
 · 
midlander

reference for that https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm i don't mean to be belittling; every disease is dangerous and every death a tragedy. but the statistics are more comforting than the impression news provides. novel infections sound more dangerous than familiar ones even if they're not actually.

Jan 29, 20 9:00 am  · 
 · 
Flatfish

The statistics are reassuring, but with immune compromised people in your life you get to be the rule maker, even if it's abundantly over cautious. I have a medical condition that has required some long courses of immune compromising medications, and I've had to be the big jerk a few times about things like coworkers' sniffly kids in the office, and refusing to work around people who come in to work sick. It might be reasonable for you to have a policy of no in-person meetings with people who've been in airports recently - after all we're in the midst of fairly widespread flu activity in the US right now - you don't have to make it about where this particular person came from.

Jan 29, 20 9:53 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

No one should come to work sick. Yuck.

Jan 29, 20 10:03 am  · 
 · 
Paulie

Anybody here have experience with the software called TestFit?

Jan 29, 20 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

yes. for some reason it didn't work on my computer. the guys who make the software were really nice though.

Jan 30, 20 8:36 am  · 
 · 
Paulie

Thanks for the response. It seems that for some reason Archinect thinks I'm promoting the software. My posts keep getting deleted.

I tried the software, it seems very developer-friendly. I'm wondering if its worth the cost..

Jan 30, 20 11:25 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

First post in 8years and name-drop software will get the big green head's spidy senses tingling.

Jan 30, 20 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect

Paulie, we've had to delete so many spam posts about Testfit that are clearly trying to promote it with links and videos. Prove to us that you're using your account for the first time in 8 years to only ask people their opinion about this software.

Jan 30, 20 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The big green head decides to make an appearance. We are not worthy.

Jan 30, 20 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
Paulie

Must have been the YouTube links.

Jan 30, 20 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect

Not totally, the posts are all very spam-like. People don't typically post legitimate "questions" about relatively obscure products or services under multiple different accounts or brand new accounts

Jan 30, 20 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I was going to ask if anyone on here had any experience with Amway or Herbalife products.

Jan 30, 20 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
Paulie

They're not spam. If youre in NY go meet me at whole foods in Union square for lunch. This is over regulation. How do you expect people to discuss anything?

Jan 30, 20 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
Paulie

And for the record, so the minions are also
aware. I have no stake in Testfit software.

Jan 30, 20 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect

A conversation about some new architecture software sounds totally reasonable (great actually) for Archinect... but when we've had to close so many posts and comments from brand new accounts posting links and videos to this specific product lately, we're aware there's been a concerted effort to promote the software with links, and awareness, in our forum. We don't tolerate that. We will remain very suspicious of any new account (or recently reactivated account) that does so. Hopefully, you'll stick around and show us that spreading the word about this product isn't the only reason you resurfaced your old Archinect account.

Jan 30, 20 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I've advocated for this software in my previous firm, I think there's tremendous upside to this, and something we need to take seriously as a profession. Is it worth it, hard to say, as it's mostly funded by developer types, and you know if they have their hands on it, it's at least worth understanding how to mitigate the future damage.

Jan 30, 20 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

https://www.architectmagazine.com/technology/testfit-announces-2-million-funding-boost_o so i never heard of it, it looks like software that automates 'applying' standard unit layouts to an arbitrary building form, correct? Seems like a useful tool, not really a game changer but could be helpful in some situations.

Jan 31, 20 12:08 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

mid it’s really so much more though. You can through this tool determine efficiency and what is most likely the most profitable layout. You're doing this in minutes, not hours. Currently this tool is directed towards multi family types.

Jan 31, 20 6:07 am  · 
 · 
midlander

i'm intrigued, it looks possibly fun to play with.

Jan 31, 20 7:11 am  · 
 · 
Paulie

I tried it over a year ago and it seems to have gotten better. Although it is still mostly for residential. There are also dynamo packed that let you link Testfit's wireframe model into Revit. I've only tested this software, but have yet to hear of a firm actually purchasing it.

Jan 31, 20 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
Paulie

So that's basically what I'm wondering about. If anyone has actually bought it. I could see in house developer architects using it but not your typical non-residential firm.

Jan 31, 20 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Paulie, you're correct, it's not for non residential.

Jan 31, 20 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

it's also limited to early SD. it's mostly a feasibility study to see if your project fits on your site and if the developer's proforma might wor k

Feb 1, 20 11:09 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

curt that's correct, but damn, that's a good headstart if you ask me.

Feb 1, 20 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Had an automated parking LnL today.  $35,000 per space.  160 SF/spot vs typical 400 SF.  It seemed pretty cool to me.

Jan 30, 20 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I've actually heard from a city planner in Denver that the future of auto traffic will be driver less ride share type vehicles. These require a lot less space to park and approximately 25% of all parking area in metro areas won't be needed in the next 50 years.

Jan 30, 20 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I'll believe it when I see it.

Jan 30, 20 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I forgot to add that a big part of this is that cars (self driving or not) will be able to park themselves. Car's already have 'park assist' so the tech isn't far off.

Jan 30, 20 5:55 pm  · 
 · 

That's a sad vision of the future. Effective mass transit could eliminate almost all parking. But noooo - everyone has to have a personal vehicle, a couple tons of shit to carry around a 150 lb. passenger. Unless you’re in Mississippi where passengers are 400 lbs.

Jan 30, 20 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

if it got really automated, maybe you get in and it stops and picks up other people whether you like it or not and drops you off eventually... like little 4 person buses without defined routes

Jan 30, 20 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

I heard from a city planner that the future is driverless cars that will never park - just circle around and around until you summon them back.  Maybe we should get our city planners together.

Jan 30, 20 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

I've researched these automated lots. Two issues are turnover speeds can't keep up with users at peak times. The other is maintenance; lots of moving parts, things break, and unlike a elevator, there's no way to retrieve something stored until repaired; that means 'loss of use lawsuits' and significant risk. Cool one though is like collector storage; you can install hazardous type fire-suppression like heavy gas halon systems to preserve the investments and museum grade climate control to help limit deterioration.

Jan 31, 20 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

PRT systems are pretty cool as an idea. Could use the existing street systems, too.

Jan 31, 20 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Mightyaa, the ones we were looking at boasted 120 cars an hour with 4 exits, could boost to 6 exits, but at $250,000 per exit... individual skivs could "break down" (the whole thing requires emergency power) but the broken skivs can be moved out of the way (another skiv literally pushes it like it's in neutral) still, that one car on that skiv is stuck until maintenance can get to it, which the company claimed took a max of 3 hours. I'd still be quite upset if it was my junky car that somehow got stuck, but it was interesting. Their argument was basically "yeah, getting stuck in an elevator is no fun either, but it rarely happens"

Jan 31, 20 5:36 pm  · 
 · 

A vast resource-intense infrastructure devoted to hundreds of millions of 2-ton vehicles used to transport 150 lb. individuals while people sleep in the streets is a great premise for a dystopian science fiction novel.

Feb 1, 20 11:55 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I'm way over 150 pounds. Now what?

Feb 3, 20 11:04 am  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

who thinks the work vs play thread is legit?

Feb 1, 20 12:42 am  · 
 · 
midlander

not me

Feb 1, 20 2:04 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

more or less legit, if you're measuring by Penthouse Forum values.

Feb 1, 20 6:44 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Chad Miller

That sucks. Things can get better. Unless you're in the field of architecture.

Feb 3, 20 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Archlandia

called it

Feb 3, 20 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Called what?

Feb 3, 20 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

glorified platform for jumpers

Feb 3, 20 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Pffft. You can call any tall building with a viewing platform that. You called nothing.

Feb 3, 20 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

Most observation decks, on actual buildings, are screened for this very purpose. This is not, and it's a perfect spectacle in the eyes of jumpers, it's going to keep happening. Chill Chad

Feb 3, 20 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

This was the only way to get this thing shut down. Soon they'll call it the Empty Vessel.

Feb 3, 20 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

An architectural hero perhaps? I didn't go last time I was in NY but I've heard it's actually a really great experience walking around in there

Feb 3, 20 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Meh, calm down Audrey. 

Feb 3, 20 7:18 pm  · 
 · 

If it’s shut down it becomes a $200m memorial to the poor kid, which is probably better than what it is: a monument celebrating the stupidity and excess of wealth. They could festoon it with anti-suicide fencing. Better yet remove it and make a nice little green plaza like they should have done originally.

Feb 4, 20 10:39 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Considering the cost and thought that has been put into making the Golden Gate Bridge less enticing for people who need help, this should have been obviously something worth talking about and not ignoring during the design of this ... thing.

Feb 4, 20 11:35 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I hear they're considering putting a trampoline in the center, with some aerial netting, and inviting in Cirque.

Feb 4, 20 11:53 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Dark humor, I like it.

Feb 4, 20 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Rush Limbaugh has advanced lung cancer.

Thoughts and prayers, Rush.

Thoughts.

And prayers.

:|

Feb 3, 20 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Yes!

Feb 3, 20 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

oooooof

Feb 3, 20 6:47 pm  · 
 · 

Cancer sucks, I don't delight in anyone getting it ... including Rush.

Feb 3, 20 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Cancer sucks. So does Limbaugh.

Feb 3, 20 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

Don't sugar coat it, Limbaugh is a pile of shit covered in burnt hair

Feb 3, 20 8:00 pm  · 
 · 

I'm not disagreeing, just pointing out that I don't delight in it.

Feb 3, 20 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

won't miss him, but cancer sucks, even when it happens to bad people.

Feb 3, 20 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Come on Alex Jones, Dick Cheney, Donald Trump! Anyone got a Dead Pool going?

Feb 3, 20 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

McConnell next, please!

Feb 3, 20 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

A pile of shit covered in burnt hair - I need to remember that one, it's good. A+ for you Archlandia!

Feb 4, 20 9:57 am  · 
 · 

Bad people are cancer. I'm for euthanasia in such cases, the world has far too many problems without them.

Feb 4, 20 10:44 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Just be careful, someone could consider you a bad person.

Feb 4, 20 10:55 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Everyone has one or two people who don't like them, but that doesn't mean their opinions are certifiable.

Feb 4, 20 11:33 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Ah but that's the rub, everyone THINKS their options are certifiable.

Feb 4, 20 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

It's not much of a rub considering Rushbo. The motherfucker has harmed many people (through the distribution and trafficking in hate) and that opinion has evidence to back it up. People might think you suck, but they don't have evidence other than hurt feelings.

Feb 4, 20 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I wasn't talking about Rushbo though.

Feb 4, 20 2:53 pm  · 
 · 

No doubt some consider me a bad person. But I don’t even register on the Limbaugh / Cheney / Sackler scale.

Feb 4, 20 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I don't either but I know of at least three people who want me dead so . . .

Feb 4, 20 5:43 pm  · 
 · 

Only three? Amateur.

Feb 4, 20 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Counterpoint: I want all these far-right fascist assholes to live til 150 so they're forced to reckon with the disasters they created.

Feb 4, 20 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Dying before the water wars is a cop-out.

Feb 4, 20 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Screw 'em all: 

Rush Limbaugh, Tom Brokaw, Robin Roberts, Colin Powell, Ted Kennedy, John McCain, Dennis Hopper, Elijah Cummings, Gilda Radner, Cokie Roberts, Betty Ford, Warren Christopher, Gloria Steinem, Mr. Rogers, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Jane Fonda, John Lewis, Jimmy Carter, Gwen Ifill, Tig Notaro, Ross Perot, Dustin Hoffman, Roger Ebert, Sandra Day O'Connor, Harry Belafonte, Sigmund Freud... they deserve it.

Feb 4, 20 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Miles, dose it change things if these three people (or one of their relatives) who want me dead have previously tried to kill me?

Feb 4, 20 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

Only if they succeeded.

Feb 4, 20 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

This conversation would be spooky if they had.

Feb 4, 20 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

citizen: That is one scatterplot of names

Feb 4, 20 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^its missing Tom Brady.

Feb 4, 20 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/04/politics/rush-limbaugh-donald-trump-medal-of-freedom/index.html

I guess that's one way to do it...

Feb 4, 20 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

That's the point, tduds. Seeing cancer as retribution for something quickly gets complicated.

Feb 4, 20 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Yeah, All Lives Matter, tduds...

Feb 4, 20 10:26 pm  · 
 · 

My Tibetan monk friend - trained by the Dali Lama - said, "If you are a good person we wish you good health and long life." After a paused he added, "And if you are a bad person we hope you die soon because there is enough trouble in the world already."

Feb 4, 20 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Well said, B3ta. Thanks.

Feb 5, 20 1:52 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I was being sarcastic. I’m glad he’s going to suffer, it’s painful disease, he’s made a helluva lot of enemies. Fuck him. Perhaps it'll turn the tide of global climate change.

Feb 5, 20 7:02 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

It shows the depth of listening, attention, and interest citizen has for what you say that he actually thought your saying "All Lives Matter" was serious. FFS.

Feb 5, 20 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

Wow this thread is still going! I think I do this every 5/6 years but glad to see some familiar names still posting. 

Feb 7, 20 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

What do you do when a firm is so inept it gives architects everywhere a bad name? I'm talking being so good at writing contracts that bleed clients dry just in planning stage making nonsensical, overbudget and non code compliant designs that need to be done again and again and most of these clients eventually leave with nothing and go with a contractor who "designs" but at least gets something built. Kinda frustrating seeing this played out again and again and cementing that idea that architects just make pretty pictures nothing else.

Feb 8, 20 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

MY BRAD GOES POLITICAL RIGHT OFF THE BAT and then continues humbly and adorably grateful as always MY HEART IS POUNDING!!!

Feb 9, 20 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

"A true master has to have all the knowledge and skills of everything about architecture in past, present, and future from an infinite number of universes in the past through an infinite number of universes into the future. That is True mastery"

- Richard Balkins

Feb 13, 20 9:53 am  · 
 · 

These are not the droids you're looking for.

Feb 13, 20 10:10 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

HA!

Feb 13, 20 10:51 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

There is a difference between being a master of a trade and mastering a trade. A Master simply has enough training and experience to supervise others. Whereas mastery is a lifelong pursuit of excellence. 

At least that's my take. This comes up a lot in construction forums--many builders get up in arms when someone calls themselves a master carpenter. While gauche, it's not incorrect if you have advanced beyond journey-level skills.

Feb 13, 20 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

M. Arch ≠ Master Architect

Feb 13, 20 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Anyone have good resources for understanding vapor transmission at roofs in cold climates with various insulation configurations?

I'm basically trying to do a roof rainscreen with metal panel, and suspect it's more complicated than just turning a facade assembly on its side.

Feb 13, 20 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

poke around https://www.buildingscience.com/

Feb 13, 20 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We typically treat all our metal panel roof assemblies as rain-screens. We normally specify a P&S VB but more often than not, the contractor subs it out for paper VB instead.  This is not normally a concern but we insist on a a high-heat AB membrane on top of sheathing to serve as a drainage plane. 

It's not, in most cases, that different from a wall assembly however, there are insulated VB roof sheathing products that are better than the traditional craft paper. I use Soprema for most assembly info.

Feb 13, 20 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Curt, one of the authors of that site was my building tech prof while in M.arch.

Feb 13, 20 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

It's funny, all the bad things I learned to do and the things old people still do came from Canada. I have heat and humidity along with freezing winters. It does not get 40 below here (the one measurement we can all agree on)

Feb 13, 20 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

Are you thinking a Metal panel rainscreen system or a vented standing seam system? Is it a sloped roof?

Feb 13, 20 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

When practicing in northern Minnesota we'd typically do something like the sketch below.

Feb 14, 20 9:21 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Well crud, the site won't let me attach an image. Sorry.

Feb 14, 20 9:28 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

This is a good overview article: https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/article/how-to-build-an-insulated-cathedral-ceiling.

My favorite approach is the Sarking membrane roof system. You can read about it here: https://www.ecocor.us/roofs. (I wrote the content when I worked there.) 

If you want to "understand vapor transmission," maybe you are looking for a hygrothermal modeling program? WUFI is the best-known, and can be helpful, but you have to know what you're doing.

Generally speaking, a roof is a lot like a sloped wall, so for the most part they can be treated similarly. But roofs have two exacerbating properties: their height means that the stack effect can lead to air leakage, and resulting moisture accumulation; and nighttime radiative cooling means they are more at risk of moisture accumulation, especially with metal roofing.

Feb 14, 20 10:23 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Non Seq - I'm having trouble placing the "AB" abbreviation when you mention AB membrane - can you clarify?

Feb 14, 20 10:47 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

The roof has extremely variable slope, in some areas it only barely hits 1/4" in 1'. My first thought was to do fluid-applied membrane (either elastomeric or hot-mopped) as the WRB, then thermally broken clips standing off the metal panel. I know this would keep the water out and let the airspace fully ventilate, but I'm concerned about condensation. Its always the fuckin' condensation which gets you. There is no attic and the bottom of sheathing will not be visible for inspection.

Feb 14, 20 10:50 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Archanonymous, with low-slope roofs the stack effect does not provide enough pressure differential to vent properly in a 1-2" vent space. You can use a 6" vent space and/or cupolas, but that probably doesn't fit your aesthetic. Unfortunately, the only way to safely insulate low-slope roofs includes closed-cell foam insulation. I try to avoid foam because of its significant up-front carbon emissions, but if you spec the newer type with HFO as a blowing agent it's not as bad (but still bad). You can do a flash-and-fill system, using just enough foam to provide dewpoint control.

More info here: https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/article/insulating-low-slope-residential-roofs.

I assume "AB" means air barrier.

Non, I finally got to hear John Straube speak at a conference last year--he's pretty entertaining! (I'm guessing that's who you're referring to.)

Feb 14, 20 10:55 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Wood Guy - thanks for the resources. I use Green Building Advisor a lot but hadn't come across that article before. If you can't tell I normally work on commercial buildings with flat membrane roofs on standard concrete or composite decks, not houses with metal roofs.

Feb 14, 20 10:57 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

You're welcome. I link to those two articles a lot. Even residential architects often get roof details wrong, especially on low-slope roofs.

Feb 14, 20 11:01 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I love that the second article starts, "There are lots of ways to insulate a low-slope roof, and most of them are wrong."

Feb 14, 20 11:03 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Ha, Martin Holladay, the author, is consistent--he is just as direct and honest in person, by phone or by email, feelings be damned.

Feb 14, 20 11:10 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Arch, you may want to increase the slope of the low slope roof to a 1/2" per 12" min. I've found that when you use 1/4" per 12" and have a cricket (or any type of roof intersection) then the cross slope is reduced to 1/8" per 12" and you get standing water.

Feb 14, 20 11:14 am  · 
 · 

archanon, what are you thinking of using for insulation? ... and where will it be located ... the insulation that is? ... also where is the building located ... climate zone that is?

Feb 14, 20 11:23 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Thanks again Wood Guy, Chad, Non. I was thinking HFO blown-in cellulose from below. I wonder if I can get away with 1-2" air space. Though some local areas of the roof do have very low slopes, they are adjacent to and in a continuous airspace with roof slopes up to 3:12, so I think there could be some stack effect achieved. Definitely deserves some WUFI or THERM models to check though.

Feb 14, 20 11:27 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

EA... I think we posted at the same time. Was thinking Blown-in in the structural depth below and maybe a bit of rigid on top if needed to control condensation. My first (lazy, dumb, commercial architect) though was "fuck it, just put hydrotech over the whole thing and treat the metal roof as cladding."

Feb 14, 20 11:32 am  · 
 · 

Careful, some FOG fans might think you're calling him lazy and dumb ... https://www.hydrotechusa.com/projects/museum-pop-culture-mopop

More seriously though, I think you're getting some really good advice. My only addition to it would be to make sure you have a fully-sealed, continuous air barrier on the interior. Vapor retarder too, but air movement from the warm, moist interior space into the roof assembly is going to be the major thing to deal with. 

Feb 14, 20 11:38 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ab= air Barrier. And yes wood guy, I was referring to Straub. That guy is intense.

Feb 14, 20 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

Saw John speak at BEEX in NYC. Was a delightful change of pace.

Feb 19, 20 10:39 am  · 
 · 

I come to TC after years away and it's on Page 2?! WTF?! Come on, folks. Let's be responsible stewards of our cultural legacy here. 

Oh, and HI to all who I haven't encountered before...

Feb 19, 20 8:22 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I've been busy designin' buildin's.  I'll try and do better.

Feb 19, 20 10:01 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

HI, busy splitting my time between CA and dodging M.arch application threads.

Feb 19, 20 10:08 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

You should skip the CA and do all March application threads. If your drawings and specs where done well you don't need to do CA. 8-)

Feb 19, 20 11:01 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Hello, hope all is well.

Feb 19, 20 11:48 am  · 
 · 
Archlandia

It's because R%$@ (name shall not be spoken in this thread) isn't allowed in here

Feb 19, 20 11:49 am  · 
 · 
proto

OG, represent

Feb 19, 20 12:49 pm  · 
 · 

How many of you here remember the feature articles and interviews by writers and student bloggers like Bryan Finoki, Javier Arbona, John Jourden, Geoff Manaugh, Heather Ring, Mason White, Bryan Boyer, and others about 10-15 years ago on Archinect. They were brilliant unabashed features. 

Feb 20, 20 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
proto

i do

Feb 20, 20 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I remember Manaugh... I did not have an account back then and only lurked silently in the forums but his articles are what brought me here in the first place. I've sat on review panels with Mason White a long time ago (probably when he was an active member here). He always had good input.

Feb 20, 20 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

[raises hand]

Feb 20, 20 6:10 pm  · 
 · 

Those were the reason I found archinect in the first place.

Feb 20, 20 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I recall all. Been 'necting since 2004!

Feb 20, 20 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

TFW you open a browser to search for a product (you know, actual work), decide to check Archinect as long as you have a browser open, then totally forget to search for your product...

Feb 20, 20 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

pretty much me everyday.

Feb 20, 20 6:25 pm  · 
 · 

It's not that I forget to search for the product ... I'm just really good at procrastination.

Feb 20, 20 6:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: