Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

sooo bad, but sooo good

Oct 10, 19 9:48 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I was surprised by the number of genitals represented.

Oct 10, 19 9:56 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

wow... the more i look.. the more I can't look away...

Oct 10, 19 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

It's wet, people are super motivated, and ready to march. Tonight, is going to be interesting. I'm ready.

Oct 10, 19 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Nice!

Oct 10, 19 4:01 pm  · 
 · 

Be safe, b3ta, but also, if you can, post pictures!

Oct 10, 19 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Oct 10, 19 11:35 pm  · 
 · 

Guess which one is the architect's car:

I take this picture at virtually every site visit I make.

Oct 10, 19 5:14 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Hopefully the black chevy pickup.

Oct 10, 19 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You mean the one with the tasteful truck-nuts? Pretty obvious, no?

Oct 10, 19 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You see something I don't? The Miata has a lot of racing stickers, eh?

Oct 10, 19 6:27 pm  · 
 · 

miata in Japanese (inflection of miataru) means ‘to be found’, lost. As in “one of my suitcases is missing”. 

http://m.romajidesu.com/dictionary/meaning-of-Miata.html

Oct 10, 19 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

Donna do you take that thing to the track?

Oct 14, 19 2:08 pm  · 
 · 

I have not yet, Archlandia. My last Miata I drove at normal speed around the Indy 500 Speedway, but not this one.

Oct 15, 19 12:38 pm  · 
 · 

miata means found. "Miataranai" = "not found", literally meaning can't lay eyes on something. Although I have not heard it used just as miata before. I have less than zero knowledge about cars. Would be super funny if the name was meant to be Japanese and not German after all. Speaking of Germany, recently read a good story about Phillip Johnson driving around Germany in the 30's in his rolls royce and people thought he was probably hitler driving in cognito. Johnson was into Hitler back then and he probably was happy for that idea to be floating around. Architects can be such dicks. Which is the point of the car shaming picture, so there, full circle. Yay!

Oct 11, 19 1:30 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Miatas are made by Mazda, so it's most likely meant to be from the Japanese word.

Oct 11, 19 12:25 pm  · 
 · 

the google machine says that mazda was using german, meaning "prize". Japanese companies almost never use Japanese words for products. Its not cool here. The truncated miata is a funny story though. Like shouting out I found it! after looking everywhere for your car keys.

Oct 11, 19 9:36 pm  · 
 · 

Yes, architects can definitely be dicks. Heaven knows I have been one lately! But Miata isn't either Japanese or German, it's an acronym: Miata Is Always The Answer. This is fact.

Oct 12, 19 9:46 am  · 
 · 

lol. what is the question?

Oct 13, 19 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Donna is right, Miata Is Always The Answer.

Oct 14, 19 5:21 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

That's weird, even for marketing.

Oct 14, 19 11:48 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Building Collapse

It appears that they poured concrete without shoring. Nuts. 

Oct 12, 19 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

makes my problems seem small in comparison

Oct 12, 19 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What the bloody d

Oct 12, 19 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

*bloody fuk?

Oct 12, 19 10:22 pm  · 
 · 

That’s going to leave a mark.

Oct 12, 19 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Oi Vey! :(

Oct 14, 19 11:19 am  · 
 · 

I took a call from a freshman in college last night. He was tasked with interviewing an architect for a course he is taking, and get this ... he decided to call an architect rather than post the questions to an architecture forum. There is hope for the future

I've known him for a number of years now, and it was really nice of him to think of me. All told the interview itself was a little over 30 minutes of my time that I was happy to spend to help him out. I also offered to introduce him to some architects I know that have a firm in a nearby city to where he is studying if he ever wants to go tour their office and talk to them too.

Oct 15, 19 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Now that, is perfection.

Oct 15, 19 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I've been talking to a kid who wants to be an architect but doesn't want to go to school or get licensed. Bad case of entitlement/just give it to me.

Oct 15, 19 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

We had two people in the office for about a week each interested in architecture and/or engineering (we're an A&E firm). Both were related somehow to employees; both decided not to pursue architecture after their stint, but may still do engineering of some kind. I guess we scared them away.

Oct 15, 19 5:10 pm  · 
 · 

I had a job shadower last week, a high school student who is interested in architecture and art. She was lovely.

Oct 15, 19 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

My mom taught high school, and used to send kids my way now & then. There was one scary-smart girl who wasn't sure she wanted to go to college right away, who I tried to get a job (she ultimately turned down the job offer and did go straight to college - probably a better choice for her).

Oct 15, 19 5:41 pm  · 
 · 

I let a HS student job shadow me a year or two ago. I doubt she decided to pursue a career in the field after hanging out with me for a few hours. She didn't seem all that impressed with the technical nature of the work. I even tried to impress her by taking her around the office to see a variety of different roles. I also took her on a walking tour of some nearby projects and explaining the interesting aspects of them. I think she was expecting something completely different.

Oct 15, 19 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I advise all prospects to avoid architect's offices like the plague, or the clap.

Oct 15, 19 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I have several friends who teach high school and I’ve always make myself available to their students interested in architecture. Not a single one has even used that opportunity even though I could have walked them through admission. I guess not all hope is lost... as long as high school students don’t expect 6-figure starting salaries like that new one-post pony.

Oct 15, 19 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

Architects, on the low have a sense of entitlement. The best I have met do not. AA grads have the most unjustified entitlement in my experience

Oct 15, 19 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Speaking of entitlement.... Anyone have some advice on how to deal with jealousy?  2nd grade kid's friends parents are all apparently fabulously wealthy

Oct 16, 19 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Who is jealous?

Oct 16, 19 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Shellarchitect I have no advice but have been there. In fact still feel like I’m there a decade later. I don’t even know what kind of jobs these people hold - “business” of some kind - but they all seem to take fabulous vacations and go to spas and I don’t get it and feel jealous.

Oct 17, 19 6:26 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

It's possible they buy their kids crap to avoid parenting and they are deeply in debt doing this and buying spa packages and month long trips to Hawaii. I know many part time rock collectors that own 7 ipads, 3 time shares and drive $65,000 suv's too. And wear Patagonia (because it's the only responsible thing to do, or I'm told). 

Oct 17, 19 9:42 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

That is very possible. I don't know the kids in school too well, only the soccer team ones. 4 lawyers, 2 radiologists, a personal finance blogger, 2 bankers, and a couple small business owners. I feel better assuming highly leveraged. T
he moms are all the same age and the dads are generally in their 50s!

Oct 17, 19 9:54 am  · 
 · 

Despite growing up here in Paradise surrounded by kids with every latest gizmo from iPhones to BMWs and jetting around the world on a whim ours turned out to be a wonderful, compassionate human being. Part of this is the values you instill in them of course but I think a big part is being interested and engaged in real pursuits - something other than vapid consumption and eternal holidays. Being able to do something they can’t is not something that can be bought. Beyond that exposure to the corrosive behavior of entitlement is a lesson in itself. The measure of one’s worth is not money, it is what you can do. Your job is to facilitate their experience, and you learn far more from the difficult ones than you do from the good ones.

Oct 17, 19 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Agree with Miles here. My best advice for jealousy is simply to try to focus on the intangible gifts you & your family share instead of the material possessions you lack.

Oct 17, 19 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I've just recently been promoted to the first ring of firm management inner circle.  Something that's been a while in the making, with still some legal things to go through, but for the sake of argument, it's all done.  Not quite "use of company private jet" level, but a not-insignificant profit % sharing is particularly appetizing and one helluva incentive among a few other perks.

Now I just need to worry about breaking into the next tax bracket... 20.5% vs 26% income tax, here I come... eugh, I feel old just writing that.  

Oct 17, 19 8:51 am  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

Congrats! Unless Canucks do taxes differently, the tax bracket would only apply to income after $95k. You seem like a reasonable and smart person so you probably understand this, but many people still are under the impression that if they hit a different tax bracket, then ALL of their income is taxed as such. Just trying to add clarity for other commenters.

Oct 17, 19 9:53 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Congrats!

Oct 17, 19 9:54 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That is correct Threeohdoor, it's 26% above that number (at least for 2019). I was generalizing and expect that topic to become more prevalent in my near future.

Oct 17, 19 10:46 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Thanks Bench.

Oct 17, 19 10:46 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Nice work! Now open an office in western Colorado. I know a good PA/PM with great design skills. Only downside is they can't make coffee worth a damn.

Oct 17, 19 10:50 am  · 
 · 
Bench

"Only downside is they can't make coffee worth a damn. " Pretty sure thats illegal in CO ?

Oct 17, 19 11:58 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I think not liking micro brews is illegal in CO. Everything else is fair game.

Oct 17, 19 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Congrats Non. Does that mean you'll be too busy to post here so much? ;)

Oct 17, 19 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Congrats! And the low taxation I'm jealous of! I'm at 40%!

Oct 17, 19 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Never too busy to post here... or too busy to drink coffee, or too busy for craft brews. With all that excellent action, who has time for work anyways?

Oct 17, 19 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

Congrats Non Sequitur! I have to say I've never really thought about my tax bracket when getting a raise. Maybe I've been doing it wrong?

Oct 17, 19 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

So just came from a BIM conference and it was nice seeing the varied faces about now, before it was just old white dudes or the odd nerdy 30 something year old.

Now it was about 4/10 women and a lot more people that weren't the odd kid.

Still boring.

Oct 17, 19 10:14 am  · 
 · 

I love this comment, architwutm8, everything about it!

Oct 18, 19 9:56 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Any of you fine pros ever use pre-hung AL windows on commercial projects?  I never had and was wondering peoples opinion of them.  

On a related note I found it weird that I've spent the majority of my career using only storefront.  Very little curtain wall.  Guess I'm not designing tall enough buildings.  There is a joke about overcompensation in there somewhere . . .

Oct 17, 19 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I have, although not nearly as much as I have used storefront, of course. It's worth getting a copy of NAFS (AAMA/WDMA/CSA 101/I.S.2/A440) and getting familiar with the different grades (hint: the ones you'd specify for quality work ain't the same ones Home Depot carries).

Oct 17, 19 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Thanks for the reference! No Home Depo? Dammit. ;)

Oct 17, 19 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I’m 50/50 curtain and storefront. Don’t think I’ve ever done pre hung Al.

Oct 17, 19 7:10 pm  · 
 · 

+1 on understanding the performance classes and grades in AAMA/WDMA/CSA 101/I.S.2/A440. I don't have much experience with them myself. I've never had to worry about it, but I've been warned to be careful with receptor systems for the reasons outlined in this article.

Oct 17, 19 7:21 pm  · 
 · 

I should clarify that when I said, "I don't have much experience with them myself," I meant pre-hung aluminum windows. I do have plenty of experience with the performance classes and grades but mostly with vinyl and fiberglass windows.

Oct 17, 19 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

We need to have a template answer thread for these common questions asked.

What school is better?/should I attend?/is more technical or conceptual?

Link to league tables and reviews or something.

Should I return to school at XX age? 

Depends on your financial situation and (generic answer) go for it if you really want to/there's no age limit to what you do.

Which laptop should I get? 

Link to work laptop reviews.

Or something along the lines of this.

Oct 21, 19 7:18 am  · 
 · 

​or just require a minimum number of posts before you can start a new thread ....

Oct 21, 19 9:42 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

but the "I'm entering first year arch and will be using 3Dstudio, Revit, Rhino, and Solidworks 24/7. Will my mother's 8-year old macbook air be enough?" Are so entertaining...

Oct 21, 19 9:51 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I like the ones about how we're underpaid and the profession is dying. Those are so uplifting to read on a Monday morning.

Oct 21, 19 11:10 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I reckon you lot would like a story like this.

Asshole contractors

Oct 22, 19 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Being respectful is free. Being a dick can cost you.

Oct 22, 19 1:44 pm  · 
 · 

That's a good story!

Oct 22, 19 7:57 pm  · 
 · 

Shitty week update: Saturday I was pulling my Miata out of a parking lot behind a truck which suddenly went into reverse and crashed into me. Significant damage to three panels and a destroyed headlight. Can't drive it til it's fixed.

And today my project house, a little shell on the west side I've been working on renovation plans for, burned down. Not *all* the way down, though - there's still enough left that we'll get to pay for a demo contractor to knock it down the rest of the way now! No insurance, no power, fire inspector has "no idea how this blaze might have started".

Everything is fucking awful. Truly hard to find any single thing to feel good about right now (except my husband and son, who are awesome and put up with me for some reason). (Well and also I'm grateful no one was hurt in either the crash or the fire, so there's that, too.)

Oct 28, 19 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Oie, makes my afternoon shitstorm client meeting seems like Disney world in comparison. Sending you a virtual bourbon.

Oct 29, 19 5:42 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

bourbon is something to feel good about

Oct 29, 19 7:40 am  · 
 · 

I mean yeah bourbon is good unless you feel like you're using it to numb the extraordinary shit that is happening all around you every day. Example: the wildfires in California right now are freaking me out. Massive displacement of people isn't good for society!

Oct 29, 19 8:55 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I wrote "a bourbon".... not a whole case + funnel. Shessss. I figured Donna is a seasoned vet at this point and won't get all slooshed up after one glass.

Oct 29, 19 9:47 am  · 
 · 

No joke, I almost had the same type of truck incident happen to me over the weekend. In a parking lot, truck in front of me starts backing up suddenly, I lay on the horn and they stop inches from hitting me. Sorry about the Miata and the project house. Glad no one was hurt.

Oct 29, 19 11:43 am  · 
 · 
midlander

glad everyone is ok. take these as omens and go on vacation for the rest of this week.

Oct 29, 19 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

There's nothing wrong with numbing all the shit now & then, as long as you don't make a habit of it. Sorry to hear about all the shit that needs numbing.

Oct 29, 19 12:46 pm  · 
 · 

Upside: we had a really good lunch-n-learn by Ryan Fire Protection today and I was *extra* engaged and really feel like I learned a lot! (Also lunch was a baked potato bar and cookies. Score.)

Oct 29, 19 2:04 pm  · 
 · 

@ Donna. I’ve gotten much better about my attachments to stuff. Last week a gallery returned two pieces so poorly packed - and with bad instructions to the mover - that they were all but destroyed. What bothers me about it is the gallery owner denying responsibility and trying to blame it on deficient construction of the work. Instead of “I’m sorry, how can I make this right?” I got “That’s impossible! I’m not paying for it.” 

Stuff is just stuff and can generally be fixed one way or another. Shitty people can’t, and we have waaaaay too many of them. There is a fix for that but it’s not legal. 

Oct 29, 19 10:44 am  · 
 · 

On an unrelated topic I posted a comment in 

Dignified Obama Presidential Center design receives subtle updates

noting that “Dignified” was editorializing unsuitable for a news article headline. The post was deleted and now I am blocked from posting on that article. LOL

Oct 29, 19 10:51 am  · 
 · 

Miles, I contemplated making a similar comment when I first saw it but decided not to bother. Now I'm going to bother. So many things with the "news" on this site that bothers me and this is a new one.

Oct 29, 19 11:47 am  · 
 · 

Well, that didn't take long. They took my comment down and blocked my ability to comment on the article as well. If you hurry you can see that it indicates 3 comments but only shows 2. Censorship time delay.

Oct 29, 19 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

third! i had the same thought, but didn't care enough to comment. Classy! also, i think this 'dignified' version looks more like a mausoleum than the old one.

btw i like obama, voted for him twice. just to make sure my politics are read correctly.

Oct 29, 19 12:29 pm  · 
 · 

midlander, did you post something to the news article? If not, you should. At some point whoever is removing them will get the picture, no? 

Is it Antonio Pacheco removing them himself, or is there some other accountability for this? Why do the comments need to be removed rather than hidden if archinect finds them so offensive?

My comment was not political in nature either. The headline may not even be political. I think the intent was to parrot the language that Kamin used and is quoted in the article, but it doesn't read that way in the headline. Currently it reads as a political headline, when I think the intent was a commentary on the architecture. The comment I made was to add quote marks around the word "dignified" to show that it was a quote rather than editorialized content. I also posted a screen shot of Miles' comment and asked that his comment, and ability to post comments on the article, gets restored.

Oct 29, 19 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

no, didn't post. i'm not one to fight the man, i'll sulk and read some political philosophy instead if i need to ;)

Oct 29, 19 1:17 pm  · 
 · 

Posting anonymous comments on the man's own website is barely considered fighting the man. I thought I was keeping the comment pretty constructive as well to see if they'd leave it up. I even separated my ask to restore Miles' comment so they could hide or take it down separately. I've probably posted worse criticisms of the "news" before that they haven't bothered with so I'm curious if it's something that only some of the editorial staff take personally and that's why it is getting taken down.

Oct 29, 19 1:31 pm  · 
 · 

Maybe I should take that last part back. I had posted a reply to Donna's comment and Sean's reply about Howland's clarifying comments in the news article here that it was archinect journalism at its finest. That comment was up, but has since been removed. I'm not sure when. I also do not have the ability to post on the article anymore.

Oct 29, 19 1:39 pm  · 
 · 

^ which is perfectly fine for Kamin to do and express, and perfectly fine for archinect to report on as newsworthy. I just happen to think that in reporting on that, the editors should be clear and objective in the content starting with the headline. Adding quotes to the existing headline would effectively do this. Rewriting the headline would probably be better.

Oct 29, 19 2:34 pm  · 
 · 

One wonders why Bass Pro Shops needs their design architect to work 45hours/week. https://archinect.com/jobs/entry/150167195/design-architect Do fish never sleep?

Oct 29, 19 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

I'm a huge fan of the following requirements: 

1.  "Flexible in the face of shifting priorities"
  2. "Willing to work with large groups of people" 
  3. "Able to work independently"

Sounds great. 

Anyone on here do AOR or Design Arch stuff for big chains? I met a duo from CA that does work with Darden, and boy, their pants were grumpy and sad...I would imagine a job at Bass Pro would lead to similar conclusions.

Oct 29, 19 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Sounds like production job within a team that has rigid hierarchy and a culture to mach.

I could be wrong though, just ask Tom Jowett, he runs the place.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tom-jowett-64439553/

Oct 29, 19 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

#1 is my nightmare.

Oct 29, 19 4:47 pm  · 
 · 

#2 & #3 contradict each other.

Oct 29, 19 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Applying log siding to a cmu wall contradict each other.

Oct 29, 19 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

I produce construction documents for a very large franchise. I do all their buildings for western Canada. I only work 37.5 hours a week. I also have other clients that are not of the large franchise type.

Oct 29, 19 6:35 pm  · 
 · 

LOL Chad if I could "like" that comment I would!

Oct 29, 19 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Why thank you.

Oct 30, 19 10:45 am  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

To be fair Miles, #2 and #3 don't contradict so much as they negate the need to write them in the first place. 2/3 should be combined to say "Able to work."

Oct 30, 19 11:09 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Picking up my first PM/PA assignment next week! It's a huge step down in scale (10% of the budget of the project I'm currently on) but a big step up in responsibility (I actually have to consider budget, fee, deliverables..). 

Not stated explicitly but it feels like a "test" from the bosses to see if I can handle running a show. Here's hoping I can.

Oct 30, 19 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

Good luck tduds. Let us know if you need any help.

Oct 30, 19 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Congrats and good luck. Frequent updates will be appreciated!

Oct 30, 19 12:58 pm  · 
 · 

Good luck. Allow yourself LOTS of time for admin tasks like projecting hours needed by your team to complete a specific task or phase, reminding people to track their hours and submitting. and writing meeting minutes and phone call logs. Lordy, that stuff takes so much time.

Oct 30, 19 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Thanks y'all. I might make an ongoing 'lessons learned' thread at some point.

Oct 30, 19 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Find out if your firm has any existing Excel templates, guidelines, checklists, etc. My first time in your position, I was totally unaware of resources that were available, and nobody thought to tell me (or maybe that was part of the test).

Oct 30, 19 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

woot woot.

Oct 30, 19 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

Ask as many questions as you can think of. People in your firm are probably going to be more than happy to tell you all their lessons learned (war stories/fish tales.) If you don't ask they're also probably going to be more than happy to fault you later for everything you didn't know, and should have asked.

Oct 30, 19 2:28 pm  · 
 · 

Juicy, enjoy!

Oct 30, 19 3:51 pm  · 
 · 

congrats on the opportunity!

Oct 30, 19 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Kudos, tduds. You'll do great. And Donna's mention of meeting notes and phone logs should be taken to heart. (You don't think of their importance until 3-6 months down the road, once the specifics of an innocuous conversation become crucial due to this or that intervening circumstance.)

Oct 31, 19 12:11 am  · 
 · 
tduds

I learned doing CA for a gov't project that you *write* **everything** *down*. This is going to test my organizational skills though.

Oct 31, 19 11:47 am  · 
 · 

The technical term for this is “papering the file”. Lawyers call it “billing by the pound”.

Oct 31, 19 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Ah, to be hourly...

Oct 31, 19 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I've just switched from hourly (well, salary plus OT hourly wage) to straight salary + % profit. We'll see how that goes.

Oct 31, 19 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

I am at the stage of CA on a large project where it feels like the part of the movie Groundhog Day where Bill Murray’s character repeatedly kills himself.

Oct 31, 19 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

like any hardcore partying architect I'm watching a zoning variance/board hearing meeting of a client that I may have to attend as expert witness next round...with a beer in hand.

Nov 1, 19 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What kind of beer is it?

Nov 2, 19 1:16 am  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

ommegang hennepin....had liqour store order just for us

Nov 2, 19 8:05 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I voted this morning, Democratic for mayor and Republican for my city County Council representative. I haven’t voted Republican in 20 years, but this one is very centered.

Nov 5, 19 8:02 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I voted for a 22-year-old for school board. Nonpartisan.

Nov 5, 19 8:56 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

I wrote myself in for sheriff and board of supervisors. Should have a solid shot at both.

Nov 5, 19 9:20 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I wish I had thought of that!

Nov 5, 19 9:32 am  · 
 · 
tduds

I voted to not lower my property taxes. Pretty uninteresting ballot this year in Oregon.

Nov 5, 19 11:58 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Any crazy locals? My recent federal ballot had one eccentric independent that runs for every election. I think this time he advocated turning the main highway into a bike only lane. He got more votes than the 50-person strong christian heritage party.

Nov 5, 19 12:16 pm  · 
 · 

No crazy locals on my ballot. Fairly uninteresting ballot as well. Mostly school board, city and county representatives up for election. Some stupid ballot measures/initiatives but nothing that I think has any chance of passing ... unless people don't know how to read ... which is always a risk.

Nov 5, 19 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

Here it is just the usual suspects: political lifers jockeying for the next paycheck. With term limits they try to jump from one post to the next. As usual, nobody to vote for and all too many to vote against.

Nov 5, 19 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
veronica-brooke

Right!

Nov 6, 19 5:17 am  · 
 · 
veronica-brooke

Right!

Nov 6, 19 5:17 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Well our bond to replace a 60 year old high school that has never been updated and is suffering from foundation issues didn't pass.  The reason?   People (52%) where unhappy that part of the last education bond (the first one passed in 20 years) used some of the money to give administrators raises.  The raises put the administrators in the mid range for the state, before that they where in the lower 20% pay range.  This damn community wonders why the average persons income is low, it's because we're producing under educated people. Fucking idiots! 

Rant over.  Back to CA work.  

Nov 6, 19 10:16 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I would like to spend the entire day ranting today. 

Nov 6, 19 10:27 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Being called pedantic is an insult, right?

Nov 6, 19 10:32 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I choose to take it as a compliment. Often.

Nov 6, 19 10:35 am  · 
 · 

It’s an insult.

Nov 6, 19 10:40 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Does not feel like an insult. I'll take it as a compliment.

Nov 6, 19 10:50 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Just noticed this word is used in a concurrent thread! Total coincidence, not related to me being called one!

Nov 6, 19 10:55 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

I had to look it up... So that means it is a ironic insult.

Nov 6, 19 10:56 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

You mean AN ironic insult. Ha ha.

I'll have PEDANTIC shirts made later today to celebrate coming out as one... 

Nov 6, 19 11:05 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Aren't we paid to be pedantic?

Nov 6, 19 11:25 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

A pedant pays too much attention to the minute details that don't matter.

Nov 6, 19 11:49 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

What is the term for someone who knows why details matter?

Nov 6, 19 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Usually, when I call someone pedantic, the word asshole follows. In my use, it's an insult.

Nov 6, 19 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

tintt, I'd suggest that term is Architect.

Nov 6, 19 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

:)

Nov 6, 19 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Well, technically, it's simply a descriptive term and carries no negative or positive value connotations.

Nov 13, 19 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

Tintt's comment on the ARE thread wins in my opinion. 

Nov 7, 19 10:50 am  · 
 · 

​Looks like placebeyondthesplines got their comments (and all the replies) in the same thread nuked.

Nov 8, 19 1:58 pm  · 
 · 

Good riddance.

Nov 8, 19 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

They both threw some unfounded, potentially libelous accusations at each other. Subsequently placebeyondthesplines got a chunk of everyone's comments nuked from one thread, and then 2 days worth of Balkins' comments were nuked from all threads. They deserve each other.

Nov 13, 19 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

just got an rfi looking for immediate action on a 11mm difference in a 35m long foundation wall. Also, TC was too far down the forum pages. 

Nov 13, 19 9:56 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

converting to imperial units . . . WTF?

Nov 13, 19 11:33 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

*points at tolerance section referred to in specs*

Nov 13, 19 11:34 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We don't convert shit. metric or gtfo. (technically not true, we have 2 clients who insist on imperial garbage drawings but I don't touch those). Pete's got the right idea and we indicated a +\- tolerance on the foundation plan since we expected there to be some discrepancy given the length and awkward angle from prop line.

Nov 13, 19 11:47 am  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

I mean, I think that means that the show's over right? Pack up the gearboxes and go for some coffee.

Nov 13, 19 11:49 am  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

Honestly though, I'd love to hear more. A 4-5" "oops" on a foundation could royally f up a project in NYC, for instance.

Nov 13, 19 11:51 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

4" to 5" certainly could... We had one 9-storey office building go up a few years ago that was about 150-200mm off axis because the contractor decided to scale the corner (of precast cladding) on the 1:400 scale site plan drawing. They decided this without sending an RFI and place the crane base skewed. Turned out not to be a catastrophe but I know the building's foundation went in crooked to the prop line and streetfront. 11mm (1/2") won't mean much on this project.

Nov 13, 19 11:56 am  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

Shows my 'Murican roots and inexperience with them 'commie' units that I read "mm" as "cm".

Nov 13, 19 11:58 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ha. You're not forgiven.

Nov 13, 19 12:08 pm  · 
 · 

Tell the contractor to rip the foundation out and do it right. FYI 11mm = 7/16”

Nov 13, 19 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

My contractor's pencil is not that sharp Miles.

Nov 13, 19 12:36 pm  · 
 · 

Tell them to caulk it. That should make things fun for the rest of the construction period.

Nov 13, 19 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

ooooh, not only will that 100% work, it'll make for a great addition to the show me your caulk thread!

Nov 13, 19 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Anyone familiar with the tolerances allowed for AESS Steel? You know, the stuff we specify when we want "tight" tolerances?

Nov 13, 19 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^is it referenced in terms of fractions of a football field?

Nov 13, 19 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Fathoms, actually. :)

Nov 13, 19 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Don't you mean 1/48 cubit?

Nov 13, 19 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Right. What's a cubit?

Nov 13, 19 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

7 Palms.

Nov 13, 19 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

2/3 of a chain

Nov 13, 19 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Two shakes of a lamb's tail.

Nov 13, 19 6:05 pm  · 
 · 

In my experience, AESS is generally what everyone wants when they don't actually know what they want. In other words, they hope the contractor will carry some money in the budget for it, and they can figure out later what they want. The fact that you know there are different tolerances for AESS (one-half standard fabrication tolerances for Category AESS 2 and above) means you're ahead of the curve. 

I've also found that the same principle applies for 'architectural concrete' ... carry a little extra money in the budget and we can figure it out later. This of course usually means you'll end up with a sack and patch finish.

Nov 13, 19 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

"my contractor's pencil is not that sharp" wow, thanks for that throw back, haven't heard that saying for a decade.

Nov 14, 19 8:47 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ha. It comes up almost weekly in our office when reviewing junior staff drawings with nonsensical dimensions. "Suuuuuuure, they will set those wall c/l at 4128mm."

Nov 14, 19 9:02 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

sneaky pete might find some info in here https://www.aisc.org/globalassets/aisc/aess/all_about_aess_reprint.pdf

Nov 14, 19 9:06 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Thanks, tintt. It's been years since I actually had to check the standard, good to know they've been modified. Seems I started to grow moss.

Nov 14, 19 11:56 am  · 
 · 
tduds

"my contractor's pencil is not that sharp" I love this. Hanging onto it for future use.

Nov 14, 19 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

My old go-to is from a high school carpentry teacher: "We're not buildin' a piano."

Nov 14, 19 12:17 pm  · 
 · 

I worked with a guy framing houses that would talk about how you can never expect framers to build something tighter than 1/8" tolerances because we only start with 10 fingers and that gives us two fingers we can lose before it gets too complicated to do the math. 

Another version was that most framers only had 8 fingers so the math works better. But that was usually reserved for why metric would never work in construction (he never really addressed why every other country seemed to be able to build things without issues in metric).

Nov 14, 19 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

+1 for tintt's link. AISC has some great resources they put on their website for AESS since they updated the Code of Standard Practice in 2016 and updated the AESS section.

Nov 14, 19 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

^ ^ God that is morbid....

Nov 14, 19 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I had a site meeting this morning and there were 17 fingers shared among both contractors. That story checks out.

Nov 14, 19 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

We try frame stud walls down to a 1/2" dimension. Rarely we will go to a 1/4". Never anything smaller.

Nov 14, 19 6:47 pm  · 
 · 

Chad, 1/4" means you've made a lot of mistakes, or your other hand is busy holding the saw. For 1/2" ... I'm afraid you've made too many mistakes. You probably can't (and shouldn't) hold the saw anymore.

Nov 14, 19 7:51 pm  · 
 · 

Occasionally we'd overlap on a job site with the drywall guys. They would shout out measurements like "thirty-four three," "forty-two four," or "thirty-one zero". I couldn't figure it out until someone explained the second number was the eights of an inch; 34-3/8", 42-1/2", and 31".

Nov 14, 19 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

The only time I ever dimension 1/8" is when 3-5/8" metal studs are involved, or if I'm working with tight existing clearances, trying to prove a space can be accessible. 

Even dealing with masonry, I try to pick the side of the wall for dimensioning that will give me a nominal dimension rather than ending up with an eighth. 

Nov 15, 19 8:26 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I should clarify, the 1/2" dimension is typically the allowed deviation from whole inches for stud wall framing. If you've got 1/2' dimensions there must be an odd occurrence somewhere you can't control. Only in extreme cases (such as custom mill work or existing buildings) do we allow 1/4" dimensions. At that point the offending dimension is given a +/-. I personally never allow any 1/8" dimensions on walls.  We've found this to work quite well when doing metal stud wall framing.  

Nov 15, 19 10:50 am  · 
 · 

Also to clarify, I'm not talking about dimensions on drawings to fractions of an inch. I'm talking about cutting lumber and sheathing that will be put into the building. Laying out walls and such, your framers probably don't need anything more detailed than a 1/2 inch on the plans. This particular 'lesson' was more about teaching new people like my teen-aged self at the time, that when you get up in the trusses and you're asking the guy on the ground to cut you a piece of roof sheathing to the 1/16 inch, that's too detailed and you don't need to worry about it. 1/8 inch is more than detailed enough for rough carpentry.

Nov 15, 19 11:27 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

3-5/8" metal studs, for some reason used by many architects on new buildings when 4" metal studs are available.

Nov 15, 19 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

SneakyPete, it’s not the size of the stud, but how you use it that matters.

Nov 16, 19 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

sneaky...its cause you can put a 3 1/2" wood stud at door frame to avoid moving/wobbly walls when you slam the door. the 3 5/8" slides right over any 2"x4"...

Nov 16, 19 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

If a 3-5/8" stud slides over, wouldn't a 4"?

Nov 18, 19 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Also, allowing door frames to drive the entire project's stud size seems a bit daft to me.

Nov 18, 19 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Rather big oversight from the design team.

Nov 15, 19 7:18 am  · 
 · 

Oversight is an understatement.

Nov 15, 19 7:27 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I was trying to make a pun.

Nov 15, 19 7:37 am  · 
 · 

Yes, over and under

Nov 15, 19 7:41 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

it's going to be a long day

Nov 15, 19 7:46 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

the architect said "covering the top of the grates would literally destroy the project." how do you communicate to a diva designer li ke this that their project is shit and destroying everything they've ever done would be an improvement? I've found designers don't like being told this.

Nov 15, 19 8:10 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Is a slap to the face an appropriate response in this case?

Nov 15, 19 8:30 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Hi curtkram!! I’m with you 100%!

Nov 15, 19 9:35 am  · 
 · 

They are simply providing a well-rounded education.

Nov 15, 19 9:39 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Small world - the author of that Post article is my sister in law!

Nov 15, 19 10:54 am  · 
 · 

I'm also taking a guess that the spacing of the bars in the grating wouldn't allow for many heels. What a terrible design.

Nov 15, 19 11:29 am  · 
 · 
tduds

"covering the top of the grates would literally destroy the project." This quote makes me so angry. The gall... the absolute (unearned) entitlement.

Nov 15, 19 11:38 am  · 
 · 

EA, it’s close...

Nov 15, 19 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

You might be able to see an actual gall bladder or two if you stand just right, tduds

Nov 15, 19 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

0_0

Nov 15, 19 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Easy. Just dictate that there are no skirts or dresses allowed in the library.

Nov 15, 19 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^What about Kilts?

Nov 15, 19 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

^ or culottes?

Nov 15, 19 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Just imagine how much slicker the execution of this concept would be with etched glass instead of the grates. Not only does it solve the plainly obvious problem of making 50% of the human population uncomfortable, it's a (subjectively, yes) better looking design. All I can think of is the elegance of seeing other library patrons throughout the stacks as occluded shadows - ghostly projections - rather than literal human beings peering up at your crotch. All the different & constantly changing ways light and shadow might play through the "translucent" stacks would be such a wonderful, placid experience for researchers and readers alike. Ugh. What a missed opportunity.

I assume this qualifies me for tenure at Cornell. If someone so oblivious can get it...

Nov 15, 19 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Reminds me of some of the agricultural projects I worked on here in flyover country.

Nov 15, 19 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

That first photo of the stacks structure in the Metropolis story is, I think, compelling and visually exciting. I can see how an inexperienced designer would come up with this and hold on tight in the face of loud criticism. 

If it just weren't for those darned people, with their annoying preferences and irksome complaints, everything would be perfect.

Nov 15, 19 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Never thought the oil rig aesthetic made for good design, but here we are, an oil rig with book shelves.

Nov 15, 19 2:40 pm  · 
 · 

If only the architect were inexperienced. This is an alum legacy project.

Nov 15, 19 3:15 pm  · 
 · 

Added, the concept is fairly simple. It’s the spatial (and decorative)
opposite of Olin Library on the other side of campus.

Nov 15, 19 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

It's also incredibly difficult to turn a wheelchair around on this type of surface. Or use crutches. Or wear heels.

Nov 15, 19 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Or bare feet.

Nov 15, 19 8:18 pm  · 
 · 

@ArchA if I recall the aisles are too narrow to turn around in. Roll in, back out

Nov 15, 19 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Or drop your keys.

And architects wonder why we are the laughing stock of the building industry.

Nov 16, 19 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

LOL. I just pictured a horror flick wherein some poor young woman in a mini-skirt and heels is being chased through those stacks when she drops her keys and loses her only chance of escape. All it needs is a catchy title!

Nov 16, 19 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I think the only solution here is to have men get the books for women. #smh

Nov 17, 19 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

That's essentially the ADA loop-hole for the new Queen's Public Library. There are certain areas where folks with disabilities cannot reach...must ask a librarian to fetch the book. A great example of how "building to code" can be a disaster for operations and function.

Nov 18, 19 10:00 am  · 
 · 
placemaker

Ha! They gave hardhat tours of that library at Cornell's spring open house. The skirt issue was the first thing I thought of. Water bottle and coffee spills present an additional hazard, for library patrons and books alike

Nov 18, 19 4:35 pm  · 
 · 

I've often surmised that good architectural ideas get better the more you analyze and challenge them. The bad ones may seem good at first glance, but crumble under scrutiny.

Nov 18, 19 4:53 pm  · 
 · 

lol, this is ridiculous. I expect an update/renovation is in the future, where ventilation is resolved and the ground is something other than grating. It is cool to look at, but I think the challenge for any architect is to keep the concept and not have to worry about boots dripping mud onto books and people, never mind the whole upskirt thing. This HAD to be a conversation in the office at one point.

Nov 18, 19 8:36 pm  · 
 · 

“ In response to these criticisms, architect Wolfgang Tschapeller M.Arch ’87, who designed the renovation, urged visitors to respect each other and not look up, Metropolis Magazine reported.”

Nov 18, 19 9:00 pm  · 
 · 

“ In response to these criticisms, architect Wolfgang Tschapeller M.Arch ’87, who designed the renovation, urged visitors to respect each other and not look up, Metropolis Magazine reported.”

Nov 18, 19 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

That is priceless, Marc. Thanks for posting. Out of touch, anyone? 

Elsewhere, pedestrians have been asked to "walk lightly" over outdated, crumbling bridges. "Tip-toeing can be fun!" gushed one pointy-headed designer.

Nov 18, 19 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Didn’t Ochshorn, quoted in that article, also report the Rem building at Cornell to the code officials back when it first opened?

Nov 18, 19 11:12 pm  · 
 · 

The very same

Nov 19, 19 12:26 am  · 
 · 

I guess, it's good to have a hobby?

Nov 19, 19 1:39 pm  · 
 · 

lol!

Nov 19, 19 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

How many hours in a week do you suppose are wasted watching spinning cursors and creeping progress bars?

Nov 18, 19 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

It’s not wasted time. It’s mental break time.

Nov 18, 19 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

And Archinect time...but sometimes it just gets ridiculous.

Nov 18, 19 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

I 'lose' about 15 minutes every morning just booting. That's when I get my coffee, chat with co-workers, etc.

Nov 18, 19 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

You have a crappy computer if it's taking that long.

Nov 18, 19 7:06 pm  · 
 · 

I haven't had to wait 15 minutes to boot up in the morning since Windows XP.

Nov 18, 19 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I never turn off my station...

Nov 18, 19 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

You never leave your station . . .

Nov 19, 19 9:38 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I leave all the time. Like, for example, when I need to refill my coffee cup or purchase a replacement bottle of scotch. Shessss, so much hate.

Nov 19, 19 10:18 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

No bathroom breaks , ewwww.

Nov 19, 19 10:50 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

ain't got time for no pee break.

Nov 19, 19 11:03 am  · 
 · 
citizen

So... diapers, then?

Nov 19, 19 11:20 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

nah, those need to be replaced. More like a hole in the floor. Melts my igloo tho, so must be careful.

Nov 19, 19 11:27 am  · 
 · 
Archlandia

go-girl.com

Nov 19, 19 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

https://www.stadiumpal.com/product/uro-club/

Nov 19, 19 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

My computer boots just fine, but it takes almost a full minute to open a Word file (I think it has something to do with the company's network security stuff). When most of my day consists of making small changes in a couple hundred Word files, it adds up. It also affects batch processes on Word files, but that's not to bad IF I have something else to work on that's not in Word so I can set it and forget it, but when I don't have anything else to do, I sometimes spend most of a day watching progress bars.

I've asked for a second desktop, so I have one I can keep working on while running batch processes on the other - but I guess they'd rather keep paying me to spend all day on Archinect...

Nov 19, 19 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

NS, you're Canadian so your wee is basically maple syrup

Nov 19, 19 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Chad, and you know this how?

Nov 19, 19 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

Maple showers bring bae flowers.. or something like that?

Nov 19, 19 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

alterlier, I know this because it's Canada and EVERYTHING tastes a bit like maple syrup there.

Nov 19, 19 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Chad, you're not incorrect.

Nov 19, 19 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

'eh

Nov 19, 19 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

take off, eh!

Nov 19, 19 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hey la, st’i tabarnak!

Nov 19, 19 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Watch your fucking mouth.

Nov 19, 19 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I will. Thanks for the tip.

Nov 19, 19 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

by the way, letterkenny is the funniest show ever

Nov 19, 19 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Any archinectors have tips for getting over burnout? I did about 18 months of 60-100 hour weeks and finally had enough and just quit... That was 2 months ago and I've been working 40s since in a slightly different (but still stressful) role at the same firm. 

I don't seem to be bouncing back to my usually curious, motivated, architecturally inquisitive self. 

Not that it matters but I'm pa level with 10 years experience.

Nov 21, 19 9:39 am  · 
 · 

Some serious time off, a sabbatical, or maybe it’s firm burn and you need to make a switch, like going solo.

Nov 21, 19 9:46 am  · 
 · 
archi_dude

Actually backing out for a bit and doing something fun without so much pressure. Either something remote with minimal input to use your spare time to dive into a deeper level of any hobbies you might have. Or something just random and kinda fun like attempting to be a captain and crew yachts. Just have some fun. Someone put it really well I forget who when they said something along the lines of I dont consider my career to be some competition or end all be all but something I do for living. If i stop liking it i do something else to earn a living

Nov 21, 19 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

You've removed your hand from the flame, but the damage done will still take time to heal. If your bank account will allow it, taking some time off may help; moving to another firm may help; or just staying where you are but focusing on hobbies/meditation/whatever in your off time could do it.

Whatever you do will take time, though.

Nov 21, 19 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Thanks for the good perspectives everyone. I was thinking back to post thesis-year and remembering it took me over a year to really recover and get my groove back. I hope it doesn't take that long this time.

Nov 21, 19 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Damn, nothing in this profession is worth that kind of punishment. Mental health is far more important than whatever project is currently in front of you.

Nov 21, 19 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

I could just not do 100 hour work weeks at any consistency. That's not healthy at all. Without any family/non-work obligations in my 20s we had a 4 month period where we were doing 5 16s, a 12 and an 8. I lived 2 blocks from the office and walked. Lunch and dinner were provided. That's 100 hours. The entire team got a bonus effective immediately after that project as well. Now, I can do 18s if necessary, but can only pull of an 8 after that. I can also do 3 14s, 2 10s and maybe an 8, but not work Sunday, for maybe 3 weeks in a row. Any more than that and my family life would literally fall apart.

Nov 21, 19 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

I’m going through burnout too. I was heading up CA on a massive project that is finally starting to wind down. I think there are only two of us left from the original team. I am pa

Nov 22, 19 12:00 am  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

i am planning a week off a couple months after close out. Am Going someplace exotic. Plus I’m supposed to work on something even bigger than this when I get back.

Nov 22, 19 12:02 am  · 
 · 

Demand the support staff you require to do the project and live like a human being. Nobody should be pulling that kind of weight on someone else’s project.

Nov 22, 19 9:29 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Iv

Nov 22, 19 9:35 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Ooops. Meant to say I've asked and asked to no avail. It's a shitty situation bc it is an amazing project to be working on but an impossible amount of work as the pa.

Nov 22, 19 9:37 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I definitely will not be working on such impactful or important projects if I go out on my own but I think they joy of, you know, living life might outweigh that.

Nov 22, 19 9:38 am  · 
 · 

Don't ask, demand. If they don't give you what you need just walk away. You've clearly got a transferable skill set.

Nov 22, 19 10:53 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Agree with Miles. You were taken advantage of. Demand if they don't supply the required resources and staff, then put in your 40ish hours and GTF home.

Nov 22, 19 11:51 am  · 
 · 

I'll back up Miles on his comment to go elsewhere if they can't support you well. I got tired at my last job of asking for the support I needed to do my job well and getting the runaround from management. After so long of hearing that they want to help, but then put forth little to no effort to do it, you just realize that they aren't getting it. Leaving and going somewhere else where I was able to make sure the support I needed would be there from the start was eye opening for me.

Nov 22, 19 11:55 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

100 hr weeks are insane! Your capacity for hard work is far beyond mine. 

45ish for more than a few weeks and my productivity plummets. Wife and kids have no tolerance for those hours. I can't even imagine working more than 60 now.

Nov 22, 19 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Working that much isn't something to be proud of, but yes I had a strong work ethic instilled from a young age. Also grew up helping my father (who is a tradesman in the construction industry) on jobs every summer so I appreciate how incredibly cushy an indoor desk job is by comparison.

Nov 22, 19 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

archanonymous - that many hours but not for yourself is crazy.

Knew an architect, similar to you, quit 5 times and each time they offered him so much money he kept coming back but finally he said whatever and took 6 months off, like nearly off the grid, and came back to architecture - one of the most laid back dudes I know....

now if you have a family that's tough. I do same hours but for myself and have had near meltdowns over the last year since my wife works for me now and I have my family and office family (salary peeps) who depend on me to chase the money down while getting yelled at by clients who think everything happens overnight. It's a little tough to look at a $100 bank account with $10k in payroll due next week and then still be inspired to go do some architecture....

so options:

1) ramble on archinect,

2) get really drunk,

3) get drunk and ramble on archinect on architecture,

4) sit on the couch and do nothing all day watching football,

5) go somewhere with you family,

6) go to a piece of architecture that reminds you why you fucking like architecture. Fortunately for me there is modern piece of architecture by a superstar, one of his last bits, I just take the kids sometimes or go by myself and sit there and have existential moments....

When the shit hits the fan - stay positive!

and do number 6, that's my new solution and I still drink like a fish but I'm a "happy fuck you" drunk now....

as you note, cushy office job, we ain't breaking our backs, we ain't poor, and we can literally doodle for $200/hr....just to put that in perspective.....

I recommend #6 right now. Take a camera with you a sketch pad, you'll fuckin' remember why!

Nov 22, 19 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

happy, uh-oh time to start a go-fund-me campaign.

Nov 23, 19 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

archanonymous, time to start on a new journey, you deserve it. trust your gut. jump and the net will appear.

Nov 23, 19 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

no, I don't ask for handouts bruh, I make things happen...I

Nov 23, 19 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

kidding bruh

Nov 23, 19 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

bruh...i'm a working class socialist, bruh ;)

Nov 24, 19 10:27 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I know we are all just a bunch of internet strangers (most with Anon accounts) but I'm really touched by everyone's thoughtful responses and not just because I've been overly emotional since I started having panic attacks while working way too much. Thank you all.

Nov 22, 19 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

it will take you a year or so to recognize how truly terrible your situation was. i mean this in the sense that working those kind of hours on urgencies limits your potential career development. just leave the firm - anywhere that would let you hang on like that for 18 months lacks the kind of management capabilities you should be seeking to learn from. you're probably over the burnout already, and once you're removed from proximity you'll quickly feel better.

Nov 22, 19 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

arch...was thinking of this assuming you married or something 

2:22

fail all day.

Nov 23, 19 2:13 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

One of the ways I can tell I’m burned out is I’m overly emotional - your use of that term hit me hard, archanonymous. I’ve been doing 50-60 hour weeks since summer, and working almost every weekend since then, and lately I cry at *everything*. Yes, I’m menopausal, yes I’ve always been a sap. But I’m so obsessed with trying to improve at my job lately that every glimmer of human emotional authenticity hits me like a sack of wet cement. I’m hoping I’ll be able to think hard, in the upcoming few months, about what I really want to be doing with my life.

Nov 22, 19 11:26 pm  · 
 · 

That’s not burnout as much as it is stress. Burnout wears you down, stress kills you.

Nov 23, 19 9:07 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I hope you can afford to take a step back too. Burnout + stress is doubly bad, and there's no rational need for architecture to be like this.

Nov 23, 19 11:25 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I quit my last job because the psychological stress, was creating physical pain.

Nov 23, 19 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Not any sort of authority on this, but I do think it's ok to say "no" on occasion, or at least not say "yes" to everything. But I'm also the guy who leaves at 4:30 because I can't stand the false emergencies that always popped up at 4:55

Nov 25, 19 9:41 am  · 
 · 

That’s just another way of saying ‘no’.

Nov 25, 19 9:43 am  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

Those 5 o'clock emergencies are management's method of informing you that they are bad at their jobs.

Nov 25, 19 10:29 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

You're both right!

Nov 25, 19 11:48 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

So... Following up on this. Management still hasn't gotten my team the requested help. I have a co-PA to split the work with but we really need bodies drafting... About 3.5 months to drop dead deadline. I feel bad just up an quitting before we hit our deadline as I'm the only one who has the full project history, but I'm
really pissed. Thoughts?

Dec 4, 19 9:53 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Don't stay at an unhealthy job simply because they NEED you. If you can't take care of yourself, you're likely pretty bad at taking care of others.

Dec 6, 19 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

a comedy bit with floor plans

Nov 23, 19 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I want to click on that but I'm at work and suspect Happy is actually evil and not an anarchist. J/K

Nov 26, 19 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Chad - Only 1 or 2 "bad words", probably safe for work if you keep it low, but you're right, it is actually evil.

Nov 26, 19 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Following up on all the awesome advice I got here (thank you all again)... I've been thinking much harder about having my own shop. 

I'm not totally new to the thought - I've done a private residence (unbuilt) and a casual restaurant (unbuilt) through like mid-DD level as side projects. I've had multiple exhibitions of designed objects, architectural drawings, etc - both at galleries and through my local AIA chapter and the CAB. I think maybe I'm ready.

... that said, do any of the SP/ small firm people on here have advice where to start? 

Is it worth doing a business plan? 

I don't really care much about the "business" side other than as a vehicle for getting work and the result of getting work. I do care about creating amazing spaces in projects that will make a difference, so would like to limit private residences. Obv. public buildings are the dream, but other places people congregate like retail, restaurant, hospitality are all interesting to me. 

p.s. Donna want to start a firm? It could be a virtual but real firm like the Gorillaz are a virtual hip-hop group. 

Nov 27, 19 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Definitely do a business plan. The costs involved (soft and hard) might surprise you.

Nov 27, 19 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Is there an equivalent for the non-business side? I feel like a sociopath if I try to sit down and write an architecture manifesto.

Nov 27, 19 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

+1 on the business plan. It doesn't have to be formal, just put in words what you want to do, how you plan to do it, how it will be funded, who your competition is, etc.. Every business owner has one, it's just often in their head instead of on paper. Without a business plan, you have a hobby, which can also be worthwhile.

Not to promote another forum, but have you looked into EntreArchitect? They have a podcast made specifically for small-firm architects, an active Facebook group, and various resources available for business support. Unless you are independently funded, you won't get far if you don't make a living.

Nov 27, 19 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Thanks for the tip - i'll check it out. I'm definitely not independently funded so i'll have to find some way to make money. That said, I would like the luxury of being a little selective with my projects so I'm angling for a teaching job locally and I know a few firms I can do contract work at - drawing, QA/QC, code checks and the like.

Nov 27, 19 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

arch...i feel you on the business side...go with the flow, you will literally know when a client is thinking about you, then they email or call... chase the money when you realize money is slow...you don't need a business plan, you need you to be you, chase you, and do what you got to do. money is for pussies and conservatives.

Nov 28, 19 12:22 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

But money buys beer. So, chase beer too.

Nov 28, 19 7:56 am  · 
 · 

Plans rarely survive the first minute of battle. I prefer goals. Set goals then do whatever you have to do to achieve them. Sounds like your first goal is developing an income stream. 

Also realize that doing the “business” is the larger part of architecture. Doing the work is the easy part. Don’t ask me how I know.

Nov 28, 19 10:06 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I am definitely feeling the itch to go out on my own again. Damn health insurance needs. As Miles says, when you are in business a whole lot of your time has to be spent *not* doing the things that you thought you went into business to do. Husband runs his own business, and frequently laments that while he pays people to make cool things, he spends his whole day chasing down new work and chasing down non-paying clients.

Nov 28, 19 10:54 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Miles, do you have employees? While the hours have been killing me, I've really benefited from the insight gained while working at my current office - some of their first hires were legal/ bd/ accounting so that the firm founder and principal architects could focus on design.

Nov 28, 19 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

I feel as though the advice to not have a business plan and not chase profits will just result in another unprofitable, low wage firm and the profession does not need anymore of those. The businesses side does not have to be that overwhelming if you have a plan and either services or software in place to deal with accounting, payroll ect. The business plan let's you research the market, see where you might fit in, what projects to pursue and what expenses would be. It allows you to establish a plan of attack and set your manifesto. I.E. because your overwhelmed getting business and just accounting all those goals of being experimental and picky with clients goes out the window. It's the same thing we try and explain to clients, just because you could build your patio or garage remodel without a clear plan set doesn't mean it's a good idea or results anywhere close to what they originally wanted.

Nov 28, 19 2:55 pm  · 
 · 

No employees. I build the necessary teams on a project-by-project basis. This allows me to focus on design and project management and minimizes overhead.

Nov 29, 19 10:16 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Nice. I've been talking to a few other architects (both local and around the country) about doing some sort of wu-tang style collective where the members of the collective all operate independently but it's like a prescreened pool of badass architects to help staff up projects, build out teams and show the experience and expertise to win work.

Nov 29, 19 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

I talked to someone recently who did this but with other fields (Branding, Graphic Design, Architecture, product design, etc..) but that was more of a partnership and it didn't work out. The web designer/graphic designer was pulling way more projects than everyone else. They were hoping to collect work for the other fields through the needs of clients' contacts/word of mouth, but the graphic designer ended up going out on his own. The collective idea that you're talking about sounds like it has way more of an opportunity to work. I think most things would need to be planned for but then adapted quickly when they're not working out. The reason I bring up the failed partnership is that I'm wondering how do you anticipate a couple of things: Who brings in the projects and what do you do if they leave or stop pulling projects? What if one of the Architects is pulling work but doesn't bring it to the collective, but takes work from the collective? What do you do about the cheaper billable work if everyone is top-notch and has experience? How do you plan to work nimbly? Could you easily introduce your collective as "We are THE ______ Architects." being able to distinguish yourselves even internally or on your business plan was one of the differences that I noticed between my mentors that became "successful" and the ones that didn't. These are just things that my mentors have talked to me about when I've asked questions about where I should start when I'm ready. I am a rookie, but I've seen the things mentioned above, implemented first hand with new firms and established. I don't know, just thought I would pass on my quick though on this, hope someone can take something from it?

Nov 29, 19 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

non-sequitur I have standards, I will work for beer, but money, meh

Nov 29, 19 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^I agree.

Nov 29, 19 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Archanonymous, do I know you offline? This sounds like what a couple of architect friends and I have been talking about, for our shared niche. I think it would be a great way to leverage marketing efforts, but it's getting complicated as we discuss logistics of sharing work or leads.

Nov 29, 19 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Funny thing is, my goal has been to create this exact model, an atelier of sorts; different design disciplines with independent clients, coming together when the needs are present.

Nov 29, 19 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I don't think I know you but it would be pretty funny if we'd all had this conversation offline before. Im heartened to hear others believe this model could work - it feels like a promising way to compete with the big firms and to develop a practice that eschews too-big egos without getting stuck doing typical "small firm work."

Nov 30, 19 9:07 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

It would also be lovely to find a way to achieve lower costs for services through firm structure. My problem isn't that the jobs architects do are shit (though they usually are) it's that the buildings that most need to be designed by an architect are often purchased from a builder with little design at all, and the justification is usually cost for design services.

Nov 30, 19 9:11 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

This co-op/collective idea is one I've also been carrying around and implementing with varying degrees of success. I think it's probably what ties a lot of us here on the 'nect together. Business is tough, lots of time spent doing non-billables is what I'm struggling with. Trying to keep fees in the range where average homeowners can afford them yet not upend my bank account.

Nov 30, 19 9:45 am  · 
 · 

@Wood Guy - no need to make it complicated. These are not partnerships, the project belongs to whoever brings it in, everyone else is a consultant on a fee or time basis. You start with this as a general understanding and flesh out the specific details on a project-by-project basis. Each project determines the structure, which dissolves upon completion. The most important things are trust within the network (competence, reliability, and integrity) and a clear chain of command / responsibility for the work.

Nov 30, 19 10:06 am  · 
 · 

Really frustrating to be on  the internet on Giving Tuesday at a time of year when I am completely broke. So many good causes out there.

Dec 3, 19 10:07 am  · 
 · 

The unending stress of economic insecurity is a rampant, debilitating plague.

Dec 3, 19 10:11 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Has anyone watched abstract on netflix?

Great series, I thought I'd enjoy the architecture episode with BIG but honestly couldn't stand it after 10 minutes.

platon photography episode and Tinker Hatfield arguably the greatest sneaker designer ever were extremely charismatic and endearing.  I recommend the series to anyone interested in telling stories and design.

Dec 4, 19 2:21 am  · 
 · 
Archlandia

BIG is like the ShamWow! guy of architecture.. they even have the same haircut

Dec 4, 19 4:19 am  · 
 · 

A perfect metaphor.

Dec 4, 19 11:15 am  · 
 · 

I tried it when the first series was released. I remember it not being particularly interesting to me. Perhaps my mind wasn't in the right place to watch it at the time. Seemed only slightly above the HGTV level of design discussion if I remember correctly. I'd be happy to be wrong on that though. Probably worth a second look for me.

Dec 4, 19 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

To be fair I've only seen episodes they intrigue me, I know of these guys as well.

Dec 4, 19 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

The thing that I like about Tinker is that he holds a B.Arch degree. Says great things about the way that architecture makes you think.

Dec 4, 19 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

Miles - if Bjarke is ShamWow guy... who is Billy Mays??

Dec 4, 19 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Dead. Billy's dead man, dead. So, RIP Daniel.

Dec 5, 19 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Uhg.  Trying to find mid range exterior lighting that looks decent.  Why am I having so much trouble with this . . . well other than the obvious.

Dec 4, 19 10:28 am  · 
 · 

I like this company - good quality, reasonable-ish price, lots of quick ship items. https://www.performanceinlighting.com/us/us/

Dec 4, 19 11:01 am  · 
 · 

Define "mid-range".

Dec 4, 19 11:16 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Is Bega mid range?

Dec 4, 19 11:29 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Exterior shell $185 sf.

Dec 4, 19 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Nothing from Germany is mid range. :P

Dec 4, 19 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Are you looking for contemporary design? https://hunzalighting.com/ has nice stuff, IMO.

Dec 4, 19 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Call your multi-line reps? Our local lighting reps are the greatest resource a designer could ask for - they can usually point me to a few different suitable fixtures at whatever pricepoint I need.

Dec 4, 19 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
C_UK

https://archinect.com/forum/thread/150173193/usa-vs-uk-battle-commence

If anyone's up for some healthy debate

Dec 4, 19 11:49 am  · 
 · 

Not a lot of people have practiced in both to really understand the differences. I'm only vaguely aware of some differences relating to procurement ... but not enough to have an opinion. My prediction is that Balkins, who has no experience in either country, will weigh in regardless.Good luck.

Dec 4, 19 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
C_UK

Hi Everday Architect, Yes certainly a difficult topic as it does seem there is a limited amount that have experience in managing project in both countries. Fingers crossed it will provide for some interesting discussion on how to improve the UK industry! =D

Dec 4, 19 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

A day later and Balkins has 1/4 of the posts on the thread. I need to figure out a way to monetize my predictive abilities. Archinect, are you looking for someone to custom tailor advertisements to Rick?

Dec 5, 19 11:29 am  · 
 · 
tduds

He's pathologically incapable of saying nothing, and chronically unaware of the obviousness of the "knowledge" he has. It's a dangerous combo.

Dec 5, 19 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

Dunning-Kruger effect at work.

Dec 5, 19 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I say this with no intention of offense but it's quite clearly an autism spectrum behavior.

Dec 5, 19 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

He emailed me to let me know "It hasn't even been 24 hours. As of right now, the number of posts I have on that thread is less than 1/4." like that's the thesis here. Forest for the trees, rick. Forest for the trees.

Dec 5, 19 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

If you ignore him (as in use the ignore button) he will go away. A large amount of the amount of ire that is raised every time someone asks for free advice counter intuitively comes from many of the same voices that want to shout Rick down. Let him field all of the free advice requests and kill two birds with one stone.

Dec 5, 19 3:02 pm  · 
 · 

SneakyPete, it's the "dangerous" part of the "dangerous combo" that tduds mentioned that worries me if we all ignore him. We've all seen what a mess the design advice he gives can cause. If you need a refresher ... classic Ricky

FWIW, when I posted the 1/4 comment above, there were 23 posts on the thread, 6 of them were Rick's. By my math that works out to be 26%. I rounded down to 1/4 for Rick's sake.

Dec 5, 19 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Yes, that thread is indeed an excellent example of the mess the design advice can cause. And as a thread it's much more useful than dangerous. Anybody considering hiring an inexperienced, unlicensed "building designer" would be well-served to read it, or something like it, so in that sense he provides an excellent service here, in the near-constant generation of cautionary content. That thread is also one of the highest ranking search results for "NCBDC" and "CPBD", and is probably good food for thought for anyone who finds it because they were thinking of hiring or becoming someone with those acronyms after their name.

Dec 5, 19 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
C_UK

Was originally hoping the thread would make a good platform for people to discuss the positives of the unique ways architecture is practised in either country rather than a venting platform a brain dump forum...to suggest specific methods of working that could be brought to each country...This has not gone exactly to plan.

Dec 5, 19 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

C_UK, RickyB is not permitted to post in this particular discussion thread. This here is a sheltered space so perhaps someone with real world experience in UK/US world can chime in. I don't have such experience but do enjoy a good dumpster fire. Doctor says I need one per day or I'll loose my insanity.

Dec 5, 19 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I simply don't have any problem with bad advice being given out to people who refuse to hire a professional. I don't come here to flex, I don't come here to find clients, and I really don't care if someone drives up, tosses a question out as their first post, and then gets terrible results when they follow bad advice they got on the internet.

Dec 5, 19 3:45 pm  · 
 · 

Whether they refuse to hire a professional or simply don't know the complexity of their questions ... they are hoping to come here and get some professional advice. When they get Rick's bad advice instead, it leaves a bad impression of the profession. Those people tell their friends, family, and neighbors that architects don't know squat, and then those people are less inclined to seek professional advice when they need it, let alone pay for it. 

Whether we like to admit it or not, Rick is the unofficial spokesperson for the profession when people causally come here for quick, free answers. If he could exercise some self-control instead of sucking every thread into the gravity well of his selfishness people would most likely just let him be. 

This UK vs. US thread is a prime example of his lack of control. He has no practical experience practicing architecture in either country, yet he felt compelled to take it up anyway to a degree more than any one else (arguably more qualified to comment) who participated. I mean the guy read my prediction here, made a "joke" about it there, and still couldn't help himself.

Dec 5, 19 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I understand your point, I simply don't agree. The portion of the public who find their way to this forum is likely very small, and the types of people who might make vast, uneducated statements about a profession based on one interaction on a website don't matter to me. At all.

Dec 5, 19 7:40 pm  · 
 · 

That's very un-quixotic of you ... but fair enough.

Dec 5, 19 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

How long do you think it'll take him to get into the thread about which firm to work at in Copenhagen? I say by 3PM Rick Time that gets a treatise on titles for building designers in Scandinavia.

Dec 6, 19 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I'd work for a firm that offered "Parental" leave for people who adopt a puppy. 

I'm so, so tired.

Dec 4, 19 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Paw-ternity leave. I'll see myself out.

Dec 5, 19 11:10 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Today this possum is my patronus.

It’s been a bad one.

Dec 5, 19 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Yikes! That's one scary creature.

Dec 5, 19 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I'm right there with you.

Dec 5, 19 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I honestly think possums are adorable, but they make me nervous when I come upon them unexpected.

Dec 5, 19 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

We didn't have them where I grew up. The first time I saw one I was terrified. It looked like part rat/part cat/part monkey/part armadillo, but with the face of actor Rene Auberjonois.

Dec 5, 19 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

had a demonically possessed one in the cellar once, rabid f*cker...but me dog snapped the entire families necks in seconds without breaking the skin. The possums know better now.

Dec 6, 19 12:14 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Possums are rad

Dec 6, 19 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^Jla, is that not why you carry guns for?

Dec 9, 19 11:55 am  · 
 · 

RIP Rene Auberjonois

Dec 9, 19 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

When I was a teenage volunteer at the local wildlife sanctuary, I raised a box of baby opossums whose mother was killed. When they're little, they'll wrap their tales around a finger and dangle there.

Dec 9, 19 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

small complaint.

NYC has this method for dealing with  sign-offs (often known as Certificate of Occupancy approvals in the 'mericas) if you have objections but need your damn CO...

dude shows-up , writes you up on some FAILS, but they be certifiable.

This means the inspectors don't have to come back, just stamp some correction photos to solve it and upload it on the Intra Net invented by Al Gore.

Complaint: You need MS SilverLight to upload this shit, so you have to use Explorer only, Edge don't work, Mozilla and what not don't work at all....anyway sucks balls, but now I know.

Dec 6, 19 12:18 am  · 
 · 
Flatfish

It also works with Safari, and with some versions of Chrome. But SilverLight is dead and DOB has some long-range plan to revamp the Inspections site before end of 2021, so perhaps a relatively short-term headache.  I'm sure there'll be one or more new headaches along to replace it.

Dec 6, 19 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

I hate Apple and Google...so limited browser options, ha...the DOB NOW is pretty good I think.

Dec 6, 19 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

So I leave the forums for  a few days and now it's full of spamers creating zombie threads.  I can't leave you people on your own at all can I? 

Dec 9, 19 10:20 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Sorry, I've been busy.

Dec 9, 19 11:56 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

With what, doing architecture, pfft, we all know that can be done by an intern with an AE degree.

Dec 9, 19 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Not the interns I see outhere... but to answer your question, I've been busy with a sick 3 foot tall little human at home. Hard to throw snark around while watching disney movies.

Dec 9, 19 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

I come up with some of my best snark on the third or fourth showing of Frozen.

Dec 9, 19 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I find after my fourth viewing of Tangled I'm ready to murder . . .

Dec 9, 19 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

Disney+ is a god send for such times.

Dec 9, 19 3:43 pm  · 
 · 

Chad Miller is malicious, mean and scary. His sneer could curdle dairy, and violence-wise his hands are not the cleanest.

Dec 9, 19 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

it's been the same winnie the pooh movies for us. dodothe dado dado, winner the pooh, winnie the pooh, dodothe dado do...

Dec 9, 19 4:04 pm  · 
 · 

Ssssay, ain't you that ssssstuck up bear?

Dec 9, 19 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

To be fair EA I'm only ready to murder the characters in the move, not any actual people. Well maybe the head of Disney now that they own all entertainment content but that's a different topic.

Dec 9, 19 5:24 pm  · 
 · 

I don't think you've been watching too much Tangled if you didn't get the reference

Dec 9, 19 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

That's why I haven't killed anyone . . . yet.

Dec 9, 19 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

it's never too early to introduce children to the star wars universe. at least the music is enjoyable even on the 65th viewing.

Dec 10, 19 8:27 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

5 or so hours of paw patrol should be enough to trigger a murderous rampage

Dec 9, 19 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Anyone else have 6 deadlines before Christmas?

Dec 9, 19 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
gibbost

Yes! Why does this always happen? Must be because 'we'll wrap up drawings by end of year' slides off the tongue so easily in September. 

Dec 9, 19 7:00 pm  · 
 · 

And you know the clients aren't going to do anything with the deliverables until the second week of January ... doesn't change anything though.

Dec 9, 19 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

EA - I always hated knowing this is the case

Dec 9, 19 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Here in CA, Jan. 1 is when the new Codes go into effect, so everyone wants to get into the Building Departments before then.

Dec 9, 19 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

6 seems light.

Atelier, same here, we have a bunch of new accessibility codes coming in January and we've been kept in the dark. We just know change is coming.

Dec 10, 19 8:29 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

6 is enough for one person.

Dec 10, 19 9:59 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

why

Dec 10, 19 10:17 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Because when you get past 6 the amount brown liquor required cuts into firm profits.

Dec 10, 19 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Brown liquor? What are you drinking over there, Chad? I've been drinking sparkling rose over here. Got two deadlines extended... woot.

Dec 10, 19 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It's rosé

Dec 10, 19 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Whiskey. Clear liquor is for women on diets.

Dec 10, 19 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

I guess my Mezcal makes me a woman on a diet

Dec 10, 19 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Must be.

Dec 10, 19 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

Could be worse, there are people out there who drink alcoholic seltzer water

Dec 10, 19 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^communists?

Dec 10, 19 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Alcoholic sltz. . . I can't even type it let alone drink it.

Dec 10, 19 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Yes, rosé.

Dec 10, 19 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

Being on the construction side now, those projects all "start" 12/26. Ha! Been fielding questions from bidders all day about uncoordinated schedules while the architect desperately tries to field design changes and resubmit. Cant we just wait 2 weeks? Nah need to have that developers Q4 analysis spreadsheet look great!

Dec 10, 19 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

pretty sure there are no holidays this year, that's how it is looking. everyone is working right through them....at least 6 deadlines a day minimum (always miss about half of them) I lie a lot...we're a small office and average a new job every 2 days this year (little nuts around here) (ranging from reports to new buildings)..thank you beer.

Dec 10, 19 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Beer helps. My beer advent calendar is not as stellar as last year's, but today was a good one... and I know there is a Chimay waiting under my birthday square. (I peeked)

Dec 10, 19 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

Non, your in the inner circle now. Why isn't management strategically turning away work or refusing work unless the schedules stretch to something humane? Theres enough work to be picky again,

Dec 11, 19 8:41 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^Good question and I don't have an answer to it. From my POV, we're facing heavy crunch time (we pay OT btw) mainly due to the staff pool's inexperience with completing projects. Just had a discussion with ownership and one of the company vp has to jump into cad to help out the junior techs. This should not happen but it does. I'm trying to find a way to fix this but can't start making changes mid project.

Dec 11, 19 8:48 am  · 
 · 
archi_dude

Ha ha, maybe you'll bring in the revolutionary perspective that sureeeeee you could fire that 50 year old CAD tech cuz they're 2x as expensive as a young junior designer but they do 5x the work correctly the first time.

Dec 11, 19 8:56 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ We would murder puppies to get our hands on a 50 year old CAD tech.

Dec 11, 19 9:05 am  · 
 · 

Puppies can do more work than arch grads.

Dec 11, 19 9:14 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

OK boomer

Dec 11, 19 9:42 am  · 
 · 

I was like you once. Young, stupid, and completely full of myself.

Dec 11, 19 10:27 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I'm 41. If that's young you must be really old! :)

Dec 11, 19 10:46 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That's like, ancient, man.

Dec 11, 19 10:50 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

In a few years you'll be right there with me.

Dec 11, 19 10:57 am  · 
 · 

Miles, now you’re just old, stupid, and completely full of yourself? Sorry, but you left yourself wide open on that one.

Dec 11, 19 11:06 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I find that I get fuller of myself as I age. Don't notice as much either. Win-win!

Dec 11, 19 11:25 am  · 
 · 

Haw can you tell - pants getting a little tighter?

Dec 11, 19 12:07 pm  · 
 · 

Whatever happened to Everyday Intern? Such a nice, respectful young man ...

Dec 11, 19 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Anyone want to step on my lawn so that I can yell at them?

Dec 11, 19 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Miles is becoming the new David Curtis on this website . *runs*

Dec 11, 19 12:26 pm  · 
 · 

C'mon Miles, you should know I'm just giving you a hard time. I don't really think you're stupid. Just old and completely full of yourself.

Dec 11, 19 12:47 pm  · 
 · 

Both of which are hard-earned.

Dec 11, 19 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Jesus Christ, I have 100 hours to do and I leave this Friday for my holidays.

Dec 11, 19 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Be honest Miles, you just took the credit for all those puppy interns working under you.

Dec 11, 19 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

NS - only if your province doesn't have stand your ground laws.

Dec 11, 19 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^We don't have such laws, at least not like those south of our frosty border. We have the right of self defence, within reason... and can easily be charged after the fact if the self defence was deemed excessif. So, yelling to get off the lawn is appropriate. Swinging a bat at your head is not.

Dec 11, 19 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

My interns are busy cleaning the G5 after Art Basel.

Dec 11, 19 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

They're doing what to the who?

Dec 11, 19 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Chad, this is a G5:

d_g550_a_print_038_1300_580_70

edit: G550 to be precise.

Dec 11, 19 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Fancy.

Dec 11, 19 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Must be nice to have had rich parents. :P

Dec 11, 19 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Haw haw. Pants aren't tight cause I do lotsa salsa dancing.

Dec 11, 19 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

NS, chimay is like illuminati level bruh....puppies do draft better than ivy league architect grads. puppies even have better ideas.

Dec 11, 19 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Me last week: Please coordinate the dimensions on these shop drawings with the other trade. Revise & resubmit.

Me this week: Really?!? Fine. Here, let me snapshot and paste the other trade's details into yours, with the relevant dimensions circled. Revise & resubmit. Again. By the way, how's that construction schedule coming?

Dec 10, 19 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

FTS.

Dec 10, 19 10:29 pm  · 
 · 

You have more patience that I do. One of my biggest pet peeves is when architects hand hold the contractor through CA. I have no sympathy for contractors that can’t get submittals right. Reject that crap as many times as it takes.
They will paper a job with RFIs looking to build a history showing the documents were incomplete. Start papering the job with submittal rejections showing their incompetence in fulfilling their contractual obligations.

Dec 11, 19 11:10 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

bINGO^

Dec 11, 19 11:16 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Heh, these guys are downright geniuses compared to the guy who resubmitted the exact same submittal we had previously rejected - twice - then sent a "notice" that the job would be delayed because we kept rejecting his submittals.

Dec 11, 19 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

^ ^ ... But then what happens if they are convinced you're just rejecting out of hand, and you're recording that the submittal is rejected multiple times? Like, the resolution has to come at some point, no ?

Dec 11, 19 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

You start billing them for the reviews, as they're eating up my CA budget.

Dec 11, 19 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

They are probably scratching their heads as to why you are marking up the dimensions on their shops. Generally the shop drawings for review show materials and intent based on the drawings, this is reviewed and released to get fabrication going, and then they field verify based on whatever subcontractor their work jives with. They aren't and can't field verify a substrate that isn't built yet. Usually it's the green CA architects that do this FYI.

Dec 11, 19 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Exactly. Don't review shop dimensions.

Dec 12, 19 11:43 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Everything is bad. Every damn thing right now is bad. Except late 60s-early 70s soul music, which is so good because it’s all about how bad everything is.

Dec 11, 19 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Uh...should we ask what's wrong? Or just agree about music?

Dec 11, 19 7:37 pm  · 
 · 

Bad is one thing, shit happens. But bad without reason as the normal course of events is BAD.

Dec 11, 19 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

William Onyeabor

He's good, no, great.

Dec 11, 19 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Actually, I should take that back. My husband’s business is going like gangbusters right now! And he’s working on some really cool projects. He’s working really, really hard, as is always the case when you own a business. But it’s paying off in that he is doing some super cool shit.
Dec 12, 19 6:38 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Do we need to all descend on Indianapolis to taste Bourbon/offer solidarity?

Dec 12, 19 9:34 am  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

the math of drugs and alcohol as an architect.

to make sure I work that extra 4-6 hours past 8pm, after working since 630am I dropped only $25 on high priced beer. it's a fake out, tell your body you're relaxed, enter another state of conciousness and you're a new person doing the same day's work. Funniest part, using the good ol' college day hangover to wake-up for 6am (today technically)... (get out of that girls apartment yo or that grimmy gas station bruh)

at a theoretical $200/hr x 6 for $1,200, but lets' be fair, I wouldn't be up late unless it was clean-up and new, so probably is only worth $600. (but I'm writing fee proposals that are considerably higher, like 10 to 100 fold (chain client))

That's a 2,400% to 240,000% gain on a small investment. Beer. My Time.

What's your story?

Dec 12, 19 12:45 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

That sounds depressing as hell Happy.

Dec 12, 19 9:39 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Anyone else feel they need to take a shower after reading this?

Dec 12, 19 9:44 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Yup. Between the working 14 hours a day, the drinking, and the attempt to justify it makes me cringe. I'd eat a bullet before living such a 'life'. Sorry Happy, you may like it but to me it just sounds like a horrible existence.

Dec 12, 19 9:53 am  · 
 · 

Olaf’s new account.

Dec 12, 19 11:01 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Dare I ask who Olaf was / is?

Dec 12, 19 11:45 am  · 
 · 
tduds

I just go home. Some things are more important than money & right now that's my wife and puppy.

Dec 12, 19 11:47 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Chad, there is a rich history filled with different avatar names attached to this regular member’s account. Olaf is previous one

Dec 12, 19 11:56 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Thanks NS. I assumed something like that. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't something really bad . . .

Dec 12, 19 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

Olaf, Sir Arthur, an account that practically doesn't exist and a few in between... greetings from the office? Any coke heads on ROI drug vs work. FYI - married, 2 kids, dog, but they prefer I work sometimes (nazi mode sometimes) wife works for me now anyway (barely! but she's paid, haha)....it's not the money its the independence.....but I do a need a shower, ha

Dec 12, 19 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

You know what I've hear really helps your billable hours, meth. You should try some Happy. Make sure it's a really big amount though, you'll make more profit.

Dec 13, 19 9:26 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

That's what Hitler gave his armies.

Dec 13, 19 9:37 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

And himself.

Dec 13, 19 9:56 am  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

will it morph my face as well?

Dec 20, 19 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

As often happens, I finished a big deadline at work Sunday and woke up Monday morning feeling like I’m getting a cold. So I’m starting the week with my cold-killing brew of ginger, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, and cayenne pepper. Hoping I won’t be sick for the holidays!

Dec 16, 19 6:44 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Balancing on one foot while holding crystals in each hand helps too. Just keep at it until the symptoms go away.

Dec 16, 19 9:27 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Don't forget to be barefoot and scrunch up your toes while doing the above - it REALLY helps!

Dec 16, 19 10:28 am  · 
 · 
tduds

That brew is missing bourbon.

Dec 16, 19 11:41 am  · 
 · 
proto

i just got better thinking about having to stomach that brew -- that acid & heat will clean the pipes, but not so sure it will help a cold...

Dec 16, 19 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Liberty I ended up with the flu a week before Christmas, spent 5 days sleeping till noon, then the afternoon binging on Netflix. It did come at a good time cause I didn't have anything pressing to get out the door. Once I was over the flu ended up with a cold which has hung on to Sunday after Christmas. Oh ya and I did get the flu shot this past Fall. Hope your feeling better.

Dec 28, 19 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Writing a letter of recommendation is more challenging than I thought it would be.

Dec 16, 19 2:52 pm  · 
 · 

Dear ________, I recommend _________ for _________. Sincerely, Chad.

The rest is just fluff.

Dec 16, 19 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I want to do a good job though. Also I don't do fluff.

Dec 16, 19 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

The big secret is out! A good (useful) LOR takes several hours and depends upon having a good set of information about the subject. 

One of my favorite exchanges: 

Student: Dear Professor, I'm applying to grad school. I absolutely LOVED your class; it transformed my life forever. Would you be able to write a recommendation for me? 

Me: Possibly. When is the deadline? 

Student: Day after tomorrow. 

Me: Vaya con Dios!

Dec 16, 19 6:31 pm  · 
 · 

In all seriousness, letters of recommendation do take a lot of time to do well. My wife teaches high school and her first year she said yes to just about every student that asked her for a letter. That didn't last long. Now she is much more selective in agreeing to write one, doesn't take on more than a few, and will flat out tell kids they waited too long when they come to her with only days left before their college apps are due. Sure she could come up with some type of form letter to get the job done, but that's a disservice to the kids and not something she'd feel good about doing anyway ... though she knows a few teachers that do this for their students.

Dec 16, 19 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

^ +++

Dec 16, 19 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You married a teacher? And I thought marrying an ARCHITECT was bad... (joke!)

Dec 16, 19 7:44 pm  · 
 · 

Sneaky, she wasn’t a teacher when I married her. Wasn’t even studying education. [shrug]

Dec 16, 19 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I find teaching to be a vocation that deserves so much more than it's given. I assume you've seen Key and Peele's teacher skit where they treat teaching as if it were pro sports?

Dec 17, 19 12:58 pm  · 
 · 

I had not seen it, no. We’re living on an architect’s and teacher’s salary, we can’t afford Comedy Central. Actually we could afford it, we just don’t have any free time to watch it. I just watched it though ... hilarious. People think teachers get it so easy because they have summers off. What they don’t realize is that they do 12 months worth of work (or more) in 9 months time.

Dec 17, 19 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
gibbost

I'm sure this has been shared before, but seems appropriate again. Architects do, in fact, gravitate towards teachers. This architect included. https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2016-who-marries-whom/

Dec 17, 19 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYOg8EON29Y for those not wanting to googles

Dec 17, 19 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Gib, I can confirm, my wife is an educator

Dec 17, 19 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I'm married to a teacher too but one who refused to work in the school system so he works as a private tutor. No summers off but most early afternoons are free year-round.

Dec 17, 19 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Somebody married you!?!? J/K :)

Dec 17, 19 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Who, me or Tintt?

Dec 17, 19 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

That's a fun visualization!

Dec 17, 19 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

NS married to tintt.

Dec 17, 19 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Fascinating. I’ll let my current wife know about the change.

Dec 17, 19 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I dated an actress, then a designer, then another designer, then married an actress-turned-designer. Guess I have a type.

Dec 17, 19 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

tduds you're a smart dude based on that type. like real smart man. (not being a dick, that takes some serious intelligence)

Dec 20, 19 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

AIA just reminded me that my dues are soon due.  I guess it's time to sell a kidney. 

Dec 17, 19 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

SilkRoad got shut down, but you could always try Craigslist?

Dec 17, 19 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

If you just renew with state and local, I believe it's only a spleen.

Dec 17, 19 1:01 pm  · 
 · 

Kind of like health insurance, just less benefits.

Dec 17, 19 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Actually I think with my yearly dues and cost of continuing education conferences my AIA membership cost just as much as my health insurance. :s

Dec 17, 19 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Can't you just do free CE online? I hammer out like 8 of those quizzes in an hour and usually learn some good shit too. HanleyWood or whatever.

Dec 17, 19 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Not without an AIA membership.

Dec 18, 19 9:56 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I use aecdaily for free CE. It's mostly a bunch of manufacturer's CEU courses compiled in one place. I'm assuming it still works even if you don't have an AIA account.

Dec 18, 19 10:08 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that submitting the CEU is much more difficult (if not impossible in some states) without an AIA membership. Also only so many of your CEU's can be self reported (at least in MN and CO were I'm licensed). I don't know how each state differs on this though.

Dec 18, 19 10:16 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

AECDaily or Hanley Wood let you download the certificates though, no aia membership necessary. If you are giving the state a certificate, you aren't really "self-reporting"

Dec 18, 19 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Depends on the state I believe.

Dec 18, 19 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

My state basically has you affirm you’ve met the requirements when you pay your renewal fee. Nothing to really report. You’ll need documentation if you’re ever audited though. I thought it was fairly standard, but maybe it’s different than most.

Dec 18, 19 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

No submittal needed in Michigan, just
save pdfs of your certificates in case of an audit. I think 5% get checked

Dec 21, 19 9:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: