Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

I was really hoping Archinect wouldn't have an invasion by Trump. This country sucks balls sometimes.

Aug 26, 15 11:32 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Donna, you can't say no to an influx of comedic relief can you?

Aug 26, 15 11:51 am  · 
 · 

I'm glad the Trump thread exists. It's an easy way to tell whose opinions about anything should never be taken seriously.

Aug 26, 15 11:58 am  · 
 · 

^ The first time it's a public service. When it's already well known - as it is in Alternative's case - it's just repetitious. I will admit it makes for easy pickings if you're in the mood to snipe.

Aug 26, 15 6:21 pm  · 
 · 

Speaking of "deregulating" engineering in Indiana, check out this article and report regarding licensing and recommendations for the future. The takeaways from the executive summary are:

1. Occupational licensing has grown rapidly over the past few decades.

2. When designed and implemented carefully, licensing can benefit consumers through higher- quality services and improved health and safety standards.

3. But by making it harder to enter a profession, licensing can also reduce employment opportunities and lower wages for excluded workers, and increase costs for consumers.

4. Licensing requirements vary substantially by State, creating barriers to workers moving across State lines and inefficiencies for businesses and the economy as a whole. Best practices in licensing can allow States, working together or individually, to safeguard the well-being of consumers while maintaining a modernized regulatory system that meets the needs of workers and businesses. 

Aug 27, 15 11:16 pm  · 
 · 

Losing it today. So many assholes in the world. Not just jerks, or drama queens, or morans(spelling intentional), but straight up asshole psychopaths who enjoy watching other people suffer.

I need a good revenge fantasy read. Is there any sci-fi out there about global pandemics that only affect jerks? Sewer, Gas, and Electric was somewhat related but the pandemic only affected black people without green eyes - didn't matter if they were jerks or not.  Bad Monkeys wasn't a pandemic but people who deserved it got what was coming to them (for the most part).  Serenity/Firefly turned some people happy and some evil.

I'm currently reading Just Kids and only partially enjoying it.

Aug 28, 15 10:23 am  · 
 · 

Donna, are you weekending in the Hamptons?

I'm pretty sure we've cornered the market on assholes. At least the biggest ones.

Aug 28, 15 10:29 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i loved the stand donna.  it's a long one, so get a few bottles of wine instead of just the one.  good guys, bad guys, indifferent guys.

that's the not the way i would go though.  after reading archinect's dystopian drought narrative for their competition thing, i would think you could get the original dune with a few bottles of wine.  and maybe a glass of water.  not only is there political intrigue and all that, but there is a proletariat rebellion and drought!

Aug 28, 15 10:32 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

idiocracy is a good one too.  i should see if that's on netflix

Aug 28, 15 10:34 am  · 
 · 

I loved The Stand - that's actually an excellent recommendation but I already read it long ago. Started Dune but never got into it.  Loved The Andromeda Strain, both the movie and the book. Loved LOVED World War Z, the movie; having seen the movie I don't think the book would be as fun.

Aug 28, 15 10:36 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Sci-fi?  Battlefield Earth (if you can get past Hubbard wrote it), Ender's Game (and some out of that series like the Bean one), and one of my favorites is Armor by John Steakley.

ooh.  and Robopocalypse  (and the other two by that author) if you liked World War Z

Aug 28, 15 11:28 am  · 
 · 

Ugh Ender's Game was so depressing. Hated it, I mean I read it all the way to the end but put it down and felt like humanity is hopeless.  Is there some kind of women's sci-fi like stories about Amazonian societies or something? I could use some woman power.

Aug 28, 15 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

the passage trilogy by justin cronin, couldn't put it down

Aug 28, 15 4:00 pm  · 
 · 

Speaking of sci-fi, tried getting into Brunner's "Stand on Zanzibar" a while back, haven't yet. Few years ago read Galápagos (1985), which was a surprise to me.  Even though a big Vonnegut fan. Could be classified (perhaps) as sci-fi? Though it isn't really space(y) it does involve an outré future.

Tomorrow I turn 34! Also moving across country in 3-4 days. Excited/Nervous.

Aug 28, 15 11:29 pm  · 
 · 

Finally regarding Galápagos (1985), think of my question, especially in light of this article...

Aug 28, 15 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Architects for trump = architects for 911 truth.
Aug 29, 15 10:19 am  · 
 · 

Stanislaw Lem was a Polish science fiction writer whose works ranges from morals and fables to fantasy and philosophy. Some is deadly dry, some caustically sharp, but most is deeply insightful and laugh-out-loud funny. Lem is considered a modern day Borges but I think he's much more than that having invented new forms of literature such as forwards and reviews for books that were never written.

To start I'd recommend the first one I read, The Futurological Congress, an absolutely biting and hilarious accidental adventure tale set in an all too plausible reality. The same character runs through much of Lem's work including the The Star Diaries, a collection of priceless and critically sharp observations on humanity.

Aug 29, 15 10:49 am  · 
 · 

We may have a new Richard Balkins parallel...

Aug 31, 15 9:38 am  · 
 · 
midlander

^ I don't understand these people banging their heads against the wall in the struggle to get a license. BFD. If you're not making it without a license, having one isn't going to change anything. At some point in life and a career you've just got to move on with what you've got and make things work. It's not as if getting a license is the golden ticket to opportunity... it's a tool with a specific purpose, and not useful for everyone.

Aug 31, 15 10:13 am  · 
 · 

I totally agree, midlander. I think I'm old enough now to realize that some people really are born with a desire to do things, big things, and some aren't. Obviously there are all kinds of people on all different paths doing all kinds of things, but some people let road bumps completely stop them while some just shrug and move on to do the thing they wanted to do in the first place.

In school many of my friends laughed at me because I just wanted to get a job in a firm, specifically I figured SOM would be good because I really liked Chicago.  I think most of my classmates imagined themselves as the next Helmut Jahn or something (this was the 80s). Fame never interested me, just doing well at whatever I was doing was always my biggest driver. I was on a panel about non-traditional careers for the AIA Young Architects Forum recently and one of the questions was "What drives you to do all the different things you've done?" and my answer was basically if it seemed fun, and made me curious, I'd do it, without any thought to a big plan of any kind.

At this point all of the many, many things I have NOT achieved are all on me, no one stopped me from doing anything. I'm ok with that.

Aug 31, 15 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

A guy fly’s in from Japan, has no education or license, does 6-7 major projects in U.S under his name and they give him a Pritzker, the Neutra Medal and the AIA Gold Medal….yet another guy, an American, just uses the word architect on his website and gets pounced on by a 100 monkeys….funny how things work.

BTW – How is it that an unlicensed guy is an FAIA?

Aug 31, 15 1:14 pm  · 
 · 

Donna,

It's not really that some are and aren't having a burning desire. You are talking about people being genetically programmed and people having memories of a previous life preinstated to set a precondition. If everyone is supposedly having their first and only life beginning at conception then how can anyone have any more or less burning desire at the beginning. 

It is more a product of their living environment (ie. parental influence, teachers during grade school and that life during that time). If you are only taking example of college students, then you are forgetting they already had a period of life before college.

Something during the 18+ years prior to college probably has a lot to do with shaping personal desires.

I think the burning desire to do something with one's life is independent of personality traits like whether they are cocky, or calms & reserved, or so forth. Some flaunt. Some don't but all can have equal desire to do something with ones life and have some meaning to their time. We all have this quintessential base. However, some people are just battered and beaten down and the emotional energy and passion is drained because of events in their lives. 

Making assumptions about college students without considering they have had a period of life time before they went into college, is an error in understanding the people. 

I'm sure you understand that and probably not your intent. 

I think you had parents who instilled values and discipline where fame and glory seeking should not be sought so much doing an honest days work or something along this line of thinking framework. 

What are your values when you got into college and what was your classmates?

Aug 31, 15 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

BTW – How is it that an unlicensed guy is an FAIA?

http://www.aia.org/practicing/awards/2015/honorary-fellows/

because that's kind of the point of the hon. faia award.

tadao ando gets a lot of praise and awards because he does a good job.  if your hypothetical american did as good of a job designing as tadao ando does, there's a good chance the pouncers would pounce less (even if said american would still not be allowed to advertise their ability to provide the the services of an architect, because not having a license means you can't provide the services of an architect).

Aug 31, 15 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

carrera: I believe Ando is "Honorary FAIA" - which honor is aimed primarily at non-US architects and does not necessarily require a license.

See also : http://www.aia.org/practicing/awards/AIAS075336

(Sorry - didn't see Curt's post ^ soon enough.)

Aug 31, 15 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'm sorry, but if I had Professor Balkins, I would've dropped his class, for fear of falling asleep, or stabbing the person next to me with an Olfa knife.

Aug 31, 15 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i read that quick and thought you were going to stab someone with olaf, assuming olaf design ninja is in the same class as you.  probably more appropriate that way.

Aug 31, 15 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

My observations were not negative against Ando, but to the dichotomy. 

Aug 31, 15 2:55 pm  · 
 · 

Richard it's not so much burning desire as interest. I look at people who climb Mt. Everest and think to myself "Why don't they spend all that energy on something that actually matters?" because to me Everest is a silly goal. But to them it's obviously somehow interesting.

I also read "stab with an Olaf".

Aug 31, 15 3:13 pm  · 
 · 

Yes, fair point but what is interesting to one person vs another depends on a lot of factors in life that I would not do it justice trying to elaborate all the factors. A few at least. Among them is influences of family, friends, trachers, etc. Other factors is skills that were to extent developed and allowed to be developed because of encouragement. Leading people to explore those areas. When not encouraged if not discouraged during childhood, it can sometimes cause people to lose interests. 

The essence of my points would still stand regardless. We need to take the intricacy of our actual life not before we were born. Young children tend to be excited about everything and learning interests are all OVER the place. It is through all that makes up our life that shapes us and ultimately leads us in a general direction. 

Why does someone want to climb Mt. Everest? Study his/her life and clues to the factors. For a lot of people, it isn't one single thing but I think friends and families has an effect. 

At that point, we are going deep into a rabbit hole of psychology, sociology, etc.

Aug 31, 15 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

where's olaf?  i feel the need to stab with something

Aug 31, 15 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Deadline deadline someone plz come do these details for me!!!
Aug 31, 15 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
I have no fear of death. I think a lot of people do, and I definitely dated at least two guys in architecture school who wanted to be architects specifically because they were afraid of death.
Aug 31, 15 8:17 pm  · 
 · 

gruen, reference the details on another sheet that somehow didn't get put in the set. That should buy you at least another day, probably more because they won't look at for at least a week.

Aug 31, 15 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

like so?

Aug 31, 15 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Don't worry about details.  Just slap on a note that says "SEE STRUCTURAL".  Then send out an addendum later.

Sep 1, 15 8:15 am  · 
 · 

Today at work I'm writing my own performance review. Working in a large institution is ridiculous in many ways, but also ha enormous benefits (literally). 

I'm stating that my writing and speaking abilities are underutilized by my department.

Sep 1, 15 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Miles, how do you know my secret? I thought I was the only one who knew that loop whole.

Sep 1, 15 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

First $100 from an Autodesk survey and now a copy of the "Practice" sketching book. Yay!

Sep 1, 15 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

Hey, how do I get paid to take a survey? I love surveys.

Sep 1, 15 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

It was one of those "fill out our survey and get entered into our drawing" from Autodesk

Sep 1, 15 3:42 pm  · 
 · 

Wow, an hour of yoga, a glass of wine, an article about dying at age 52 from cancer and realizing a job isn't maybe all that important - suddenly I feel really good about life.

Sep 1, 15 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Pitt movies mentioned in the other thread;  Anybody seen the trailer for the The Revenant, with Lynard

Sep 3, 15 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

it seems that it's all about a "Thread" in this forum!

Sep 4, 15 9:07 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Ando was an "Ace" in Williamstown Mass at the Sterling Clark Institute.  Spent a wonderful day there lookng at Whistler, Von Gogh and and Ando.   A project many years in the making and of course he teamed with American Architects....and damn if the didn't make it right.....or should I say "Wright".

Sep 4, 15 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Miles-funny-that's almost exactly what I did..
Sep 5, 15 6:58 pm  · 
 · 

Can't let TC fall off the first page, so let's gossip about quondam. Or better yet let's not. Follow the Big Dog's advice, he's always dead on.

Sep 9, 15 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You should have given them signed copies of your book.

Sep 9, 15 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

A footnote in your ego-driven autobiography?

Sep 9, 15 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You're not important enough to cause annoyance.

Sep 9, 15 8:01 pm  · 
 · 

Not necessarily.

Sep 10, 15 9:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: