Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Sarah Hamilton

Elinor, that is so sad!

Nov 18, 11 3:28 pm  · 
 · 

very sad.

agree it is a great idea to give newlyweds trees.  not sure why they did it and if they still are doing it, but it is a nice memory so i hope the program wasn't cut.

Nov 18, 11 6:50 pm  · 
 · 

Had a lovely bourbon with Steven and Mrs. Steven tonight (oh, and dinner too).  Sadly only one - wish I could have hung out and sampled several more but alas I have to prep for the class I teach tomorrow.

It's been a hell of a week, not in a good way.  The school's laser cutting facility was shut down - by OSHA, maybe? something to do with unhealthy ventilation? For chrissake, we melted lead in the same pots in which we cooked our pasta at Cranbrook! - this week, the week before most of the school has a final presentation.  So bad.  Poor kids are panicking, but we're trying to roll with it.

Nov 18, 11 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

wow, david, those pictures are stunning!  what a beautiful bride!  her smile is electric, it makes you smile just to look at her smiling!  I LOVE the underwater photos and the dancing photos and pretty much all the photos.

I HAVE to ask about the cake.  What is it?  cinnamon?  it looks so delicious... and buttercreamy...

Nov 20, 11 12:06 am  · 
 · 

prolly lotsa ya already read this?

interesting proof the disconnect between practice and education is not limited to our profession. 

Nov 20, 11 5:50 am  · 
 · 

Hey mantaray - the cake was an angel cake soaked in rum, then finished with a rum & coffee icing. The cinnamon sticks were meant to look like wood - part of the whole rustic chic theme of the wedding.

Glad you loved the photos - we do too... amazing that many of them were completely candid (I guess that says how silly we are)

Nov 20, 11 10:40 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

That sounds delicious, David.  I want to have a spice cake with browned-butter frosting for my wedding, but over here it seems kinda hard to get wedding cake bakers to make things for you that they don't normally have in their reportoire.  Also they seem to be way into fondant here (ew!).

Quick WWTCD question for the hive-mind:

Per the rep I talked to last week at the state licensing bureau, I am about 2-3 weeks from receiving my license.  However, I need to send out a project proposal tomorrow.  The project is for interior arch only, but is situated in a city that requires a stamp for the work. 

So question is... how do I call myself on my proposal?  Do I say I am offering unlicensed, interior design services only?  Or do I say "I'm almost licensed"?  Or, "although I am currently unlicensed, I expect to receive my license imminently"?  Should I ask them to wait to sign the contract in a few weeks, and explain the situation?  The client is really lovely, and the project is not rushed - we do have time.

Nov 20, 11 7:44 pm  · 
 · 

For the proposal, avoid the question of whether you are technically licensed in your home state or not: you're just waiting on paperwork, and if a big enough snafu happens that you end up NOT getting the license, you'll want to do the right thing and tell the client so you can renegotiate terms anyway.   (When I became an S-corp, I told the manager of my ongoing bus shelter project that I needed to redefine the terms in my contract from Donna Sink to Donna Sink PC, which was a few page addendum that their lawyers thankfully drew up.)

You do need to tell them, in the proposal, that while you do not yet have your license in THEIR state, it is just a matter of paperwork and you will set the process in motion upon acceptance of your proposal.  Say something like "My understanding is that I will need to stamp the drawings, and though I do not yet have a Your State registration, through state reciprocity I will be able to get one during the interim between acceptance of the proposal and issuance of the drawings. Toss the word reciprocity in there - I like how officially companionable it sounds!

Nov 20, 11 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

oh man, that is the perfect way to deal with this.  Thanks Donna!  My heart is pounding writing this proposal.  Ugh.

Nov 20, 11 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

OMG!!!!!!  post more pics!  the only thing better than adult goats is BABY GOATS!

Nov 20, 11 11:15 pm  · 
 · 

tumbles they are amazing.  And the image of you fighting the rain and the canyon walls to bring them up to a warm fire is so inspiring!  You're like a pioneer woman (with a blow dryer)!!

Nov 20, 11 11:49 pm  · 
 · 

mantaray our baker is based in Florida if you are interested - it would be total extravagance but you are getting married. 

Nov 21, 11 9:30 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Tumbles....take me back to my youth of raising bum lambs. We used to raise about twenty of them a year. We even named them after people we knew or people we thought we knew like politicians.  We always started out bottle feeding them. A bottle being a coke bottle with a nipple on the end, then we taught them to drink out of  bucket.  They would follow us around like pets, cause I guess they knew where their next meal was coming from.  When the weather was real bad we would bring the young ones into the house and put them in the basement with heat lamps to keep them warm......away the life of a ranch hand.

I just gave  my great grandfathers mountain saddle to a cousin of mine who will put it to good use. My dad had given it to me and well since I don't crawl up on horses anymore on  a regular basis, I thought it diserved a good home back on a ranch in Wyoming. I have a good feeling his 17 year old daughter is going to lay claim to it. So it will pass again to another generation. 

I used to use it to trail cattle from summer pastures to winter pastures and for all the things in between.  Now I pound on computer keys.....and I don't miss the 40 below zero winter days in Wyoming.

Nov 21, 11 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I AM OFFICIALLY MANTARAY, R.A.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 21, 11 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

let me be the first to say, WOOHOO!!!

Nov 21, 11 9:14 pm  · 
 · 

congrats manta!!!

Nov 21, 11 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

let's see - bourbon, cake, goats, wyoming, licensed architect.  

congrats?

Nov 21, 11 11:09 pm  · 
 · 

Fantastic, manta. You're done with that chapter.  Feels great, doesn't it?!

Nov 22, 11 12:35 am  · 
 · 

for the past two days we've had a 21yo homeless mother and her two 10mo boys staying with us while we look for different arrangements for her. her boyfriend, with whom she had been staying most recently, had been hitting her and my wife found out about it. 

she arrived with two cardboard boxes full of baby food and bottles and the boys' clothes. *she* has two pairs of jeans and two shirts - that's all. 

be thankful, y'all! 

(and, yes, we knew her. this isn't just a stranger we've taken in.)

Nov 22, 11 7:18 am  · 
 · 

Steven thanks for the thanksgiving holiday reminder...

Good morning all!

Nov 22, 11 8:25 am  · 
 · 

Steven I totally needed that.  

Nov 22, 11 11:17 am  · 
 · 

also mantaray, I meant to say. Congrats!!!

Nov 22, 11 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

mantaray, congratulations on your registration!! With all the licensed/registered architects and well qualified designers/thinkers in TC we could easily get a project in China or anywhere else with our combined skills!

I meant to send congratulations to David and his wife as well!

Nov 22, 11 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

orhan - are you proposing we start a virtual office?  I'd actually be interested in doing a collaborative project over the interwebs.

Nov 22, 11 3:52 pm  · 
 · 

O - Great seeing you yesterday, too bad your first years didn't drop by while I was in studio.

congrats Manta!!!!

Steven, that is very generous of you and your family!

Nov 22, 11 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

STEVEN,

YOU AND MRS STEVEN ARE GREAT....LET US HOPE THE

BOYFRIEND ....FINDS SOME HELP.

TIMES  ARE ROUGH AND

THEY ARE YOUNG...

HOPEFULLY, HOPEFULLY  ....HELP IS ON THE WAY.

NO  DAMN REASON IN THE WORLD TO DEGRADE ANOTHER PERSON...HE HAS TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HIS PROBLEM IS.....BEFORE TWO KIDS PASS HIM BY.

Nov 22, 11 6:47 pm  · 
 · 

barry, it was nice to see you at the job site. all of a sudden 40 of them disappeared only to be found in bldg 7.;.) they needed some inspirational outing on campus. you and i need to have lunch. maybe in winter quarter. starting next week almost everyday i have reviews in at least three architecture schools in the vicinity.. i am sure you too.

toasteroven, hell yeah. maybe virtual thread central team should first do a decent competition to test the waters..

Nov 22, 11 6:57 pm  · 
 · 

Orhan, you're the busiest adjunct in all the Los Angeles architecture school! Yeah, let's aim for 2nd or 3rd week of winter quarter once the madness has started ebbing. What's your schedule? I'm MWF3-6 and F11-1 which is a nice respite from this quarters MWF 8-4:30.

Nov 22, 11 11:49 pm  · 
 · 

MWF 8-4:30 is brutal... wow...  i guess they're not easing you into the job!

Nov 23, 11 8:12 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

Wishing a happy and safe holiday to my TC family!

Nov 23, 11 8:43 am  · 
 · 

same to you, mr retro! have a good long weekend folks.

Nov 23, 11 8:52 am  · 
 · 

It has been brutal welcome, though I left out having an hour between classes 11-12, but that just gives time to answer half my emails, eat lunch, and collect my thoughts for the grad studio. 4 more rounds to go! supposedly Cal Poly (both pomona & SLO) have some of the heaviest teaching loads of any arch/LA schools in the USA.

Nov 23, 11 8:58 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Thanks all!  It's nice to have a reason to celebrate.  Also - only hours after the paper unexpectedly turned up in my mailbox, I was able to write "Mantaray, R.A." onto an actual project proposal!  That must be some kind of record.  Very cool serendipity.

Steven, I'm so glad this woman was enabled to leave the abuse, thanks to you two.  That is a significant help.  What a wonderful thing, that you were able to provide her with a safe place to go.   

Nov 23, 11 9:23 am  · 
 · 

congratulations Mantaray.... that's awesome news.

thanks Orhan. 

And Steven, when I grow up - I want to be just like you. That truly is something to be thankful for.

Nov 23, 11 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

We need more people in the world like Steven and his wife.  Things are only getting worse.  

Congratulations, David and Sacha!!  Those photos are absolutely gorgeous...your wedding looked amazing!  

Congratulations, Mantaray...feels great doesn't it!  

Nov 23, 11 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Wow, I missed a few things. Manta, congrats. Steven, bless you, good karma, or fortune, whichever is your prefference. Tumbles, I feel there's an animation scene that describes that rescue. Very cool. Just the same I hate goats, specifically my mother's goats. They make a mess, and they have effed up my car. Stupid goats.

Nov 23, 11 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Donna, this made me think of you...

Nov 23, 11 9:15 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks for kind words, all. It's an adventure! We'll see how the next few days go. Hoping for the rumored 'safety net' to kick in for her...at least a little. In the meantime, we've been enjoying playing with the boys!

Nov 23, 11 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Congrats David on the nuptials.  Congrats Manta on the R.A. SW - you and your wife totally rock.  Makes me very thankful for all I have.  Tumbles, I find your new venture completely awesome and am completely envious if your new life. Mmmmm...cheese.

BTW  I'm still alive.  Enjoying life with BF/future husband, despite my first son, Scamper Kitty has been missing since Sunday.  Still holding hope he'll come home safe and sound, though I worry he went out to leave the world in peace. 

Happy Thanksgiving all!!!

Nov 24, 11 12:48 am  · 
 · 
Phillip Crosby

Interesting. It looks like we now have the option of posting anonymously or with our public profiles. Cool new feature. Thanks big green head.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!! I'm at home (well, my sister-in-law's home) grading papers while the rest of the family is out at the Turkey Trot.

Nov 24, 11 10:25 am  · 
 · 
Orhan Ayyüce

what?

Nov 24, 11 10:53 am  · 
 · 
namhenderson

happy turkey day y'all!

I noticed that too Phillip, cool huh.

Nov 24, 11 11:44 am  · 
 · 
jump

wow that is

Nov 24, 11 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
jump

Nov 24, 11 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
jump

cool

Nov 24, 11 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
jump

hm, except it didn't work.  i tried posting as myself and my other myself but couldn't split the personality.  a bug or is it me?

Nov 24, 11 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Happy Thanksgiving peeps. Steven, you are the definition of mensch. Good on ya. I'm cooking up a vegetarian storm. Walked a 5k this morning.

Nov 24, 11 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
architechnophilia

happy Thanksgiving folks...

Nov 24, 11 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

hope everyone had a nice thanksgiving.  

I'm thankful for people who open their homes to friends and family in need.

Nov 25, 11 8:56 am  · 
 · 
Archinect

Jump, you are right, this was not working properly when we first released it. It is working correctly now though, so you can either post with your username or your real name.

Nov 27, 11 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: