Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

myriam

on my flight yesterday, the in-flight movie was "the queen" (which i thought would be boring as hell by the way but it was actually really fascinating). i kept hearing these odd little hiccups in the sound that attracted my attention and soon i was fixated on them. guess what it was?

every time a character said "god" they BLEEPED IT OUT.

as in:

Queen Mother to Queen Elizabeth: You swore an oath between ........ and country that you would dedicate your life to your people.

and:

Prince Andrew at Diana's Funeral: We thank ........ for her life and her graciousness ... etcetera

WHAT THE HELL? Did they think it would promote peace to simply bleep out the word god where it appears in perfectly understandable context? They only succeeding in calling MORE attention to the word by its odd space-sucking absense (you could see the characters' lips move but the whole sound cut out just for a brief moment--it was supremely noticeable and jarring) and anyway, how will we ever achieve unity and an understanding of each others' cultures if we simply omit the things that others hold in value?

you can interpret "thank god" in many ways--many people believe in a god of some type, and in any case this is a BIOPIC picture of a family who does believe in a certain type of god, and simply attempting to erase that will only further erode understanding between different cultures. it was absolutely fucking ridiculous and I"m going to be writing a letter to United.

Jan 8, 07 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

my dad is a civil engineer...mom is a homemaker/teacher...
all the kids have an artistic temperment..(i paint..bro is a piano
player..sis is a pt who used to play the piano)... i think it'd be
an interesting study. dad is an avid photographer...mom is
a great cook and amazing knitter/hands on..

grew up with legos and lincoln logs...figure this is probably another
thing in common...anyone else?

and TK...it does feel like barry's been here for a while in the way
he talks....like he has 1500 posts or something. but i guess
he does make valid points as LB says...

Jan 8, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

*"before (god) and country", that should be, not "between"

Jan 8, 07 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

barry's been here a long while, lars.

Jan 8, 07 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I come from a long line of teachers, carpenters, caterers, and farmers. My generation has multiple of each of these though: doctors, lawyers, engineers, teachers, farmers & accountants, for whatever that means. My engineering cousins (all of them older) tease me at family reunions for being the bunny foo foo "designer". These guys (yes, all male) are endlessly talented at drafting, drawing, and mechanics, but I'm not sure how much compassion and cultural/historic perception they have and incorporate in their work, not really something I can tease them back with. They don't care, they make 6 figures.

Jan 8, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

lars- barry was here- but that's just kilroy talking...

Jan 8, 07 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Anyways, they are of the mindset that architecture is indeed a subset of engineering and they could do it if they wanted. Maybe they could. But they didn't.

Jan 8, 07 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
AP

no mis-insinuation taken, myriam.

lb, I love your version of the analogy.

tricked out plymouth. awesome.

Jan 8, 07 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
TED

do any of you guys have jobs? just wondering....

Jan 8, 07 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

lunch hour TED

Jan 8, 07 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

tk..let me be the first to say that 'kilroy was here'.

Jan 8, 07 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

strawbeary, your cousins are wrong.

and as for me, no job.

Jan 8, 07 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Sorry to hear that, Myriam... What's your next step?

Jan 8, 07 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

not sure yet, i've got a lot of things to mull over today, and not enough time to do it.

guess no one is tempted to comment on my god-bleep rant? ;) if only abra were free today.

Jan 8, 07 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

oh i just meant i have no job at the moment, hence the posting activity.

i can't speak for the rest of yous, though!

Jan 8, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
TED

re: the god thing--please add to your ual letter:

"i hate fucking united airlines too and refuse to every fly them again.

your servant, godTED"

the have crap food, their leg room is shit, the attendants are so rude, and the have such a class system that if you buy a cheap ticket the dont even let you get a seat assignment until you get to the gate on an international flight.

Jan 8, 07 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I have a soul-sucking job as a CAD monkey in a large firm, where I spend 80% of my billable time posting to Archinect.

Jan 8, 07 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Ah... Well, keep us in the loop. We're pulling for you. (I'm currently employed, but that's not stopping me from checking Archinect on occasion.)

As for the God-bleep rant, I'm speechless... Talk about political-correctness run amok. Sounds like a PR disaster in the making, though.

Okay, now time for Dating for Dummies 101. For the first time in my life, I've actually gotten somebody's phone number at a bar. It happened Saturday night at a local bar in my 'hood. The attractive brunette seemed rather smitten with me (despite my horrible skill in making small talk with strangers while crappy music plays loudly in the background), but it may have just been her blood alcohol level talking.

So now, when does protocol demand that I call her? Some friends have said today, others have said Wednesday. One factor to consider is that I'm completely flat-broke until next Monday, so even grabbing some coffee together this week is out of the question at the moment. I honestly don't have too much emotional energy invested in this prospect at the moment, since I don't even know if the phone number is real, or if she'll even remember me.

But I'm curious what others have to say, since I completely suck at this game.

Jan 8, 07 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

(My first paragraph directed at myriam.)

Jan 8, 07 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Not today, Gin, I'd say early next week, make a date for later in the week, lunch or coffee as you say. Might be too much to suggest a full-fledged weekend date, if she is unsure there are too many other excuses available to get out of weekend dates.

What do I know, I don't know that I ever dated someone who I wasn't friends with first. Seriously.

Jan 8, 07 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
TED

call her right now! if your lucky she still has a bit of alcohol in her - by wednesday she will be all clean and sober. :)

and it is the 21st century - make her pay for your coffee!

Jan 8, 07 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh god Gin CALL HER TODAY!!!!

(Oops - I should have said "Oh bleep Gin..." but I'm not as much of a wussy as United airlines apparently...that's just more frickin' offensive, if you ask me....onward...)

Definitely don't wait til Wednesday. Call tomorrow if you must, but I like today because it shows she's on your agenda. Forget being coy and waiting til midweek. And don't be too coy about being broke either - tell her this weekend isn't good but how about Monday a week?

IMO, women like to be pursued. It shouldn't be creepy, but it should feel like you're interested.

Jan 8, 07 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

haha - I like how Ms. Beary and I posted the exact opposite advice...women are terrible, aren't we ;-)

Jan 8, 07 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
TED

pg. 23

Jan 8, 07 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Although I agree that the full-fledged weekend date might best be postponed until you've met her midweek under more sober-ish circumstances.

Jan 8, 07 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

yes we are... :)

Jan 8, 07 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

terrible, that is.

Jan 8, 07 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

i agree with lbell. call today--but be casual about the whole thing, and pleasant and to the point. "hey, i enjoyed talking to you on saturday. would you like to get lunch later this week?" don't bring too much info into the conversation (re: being broke and whatnot)--keep it short and sweet.

· 
liberty bell

Argh, when the talk turns to dating I get all fluttery and spastic - this is why my post count is so high!!

· 
myriam

yeah NEVER propse a full-fledged date for the first date. NEVER. Always make it coffee, or lunch if you're not free at night. This is standard advice. Men, take note.

Jan 8, 07 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

can
not
concentrate
today.

It's another of those days. Keep TC going!

Jan 8, 07 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Gin,

I prefer this method... Wait a couple months (at least) and go out and get totally piss drunk, then call her. She may remember you, or she may not. She may hang up on you, but there is a 1% chance it will be the best drunken hook up of your life. And free at that. Also, wear a rubber.

Jan 8, 07 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

And so wait, TED - do you have a job? Or am I admitting my ignorance by asking if you are actually TED of the famous TED conference? Or are you actually United's low-cost JetBlue-knockoff attempt, TED?

Jan 8, 07 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
TED

no i dont have a job !!- abra just asked me to keep on eye on this for him while he is sorting out the justice system!!!

but yes you are right! i am both associated with the TED conferance passing lots of $$$ to cameron and you wouldnt see such rudeness on my knock-off-GOD-loving airline TED

Jan 8, 07 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

bleep save the queen. call her tomorrow. suggest meeting early next week because the demands of your exciting and high flying career will not allow you to meet up any sooner than that. if you call and leave at least seven messages without a call back, she has sobered up and gone back to her ex.

Jan 8, 07 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
TED

i am presently reading latour's writing on actor-network-theory and using that as the basis of Gin's date potentiality, 'make as many connections - human and nonhuman - as possible.'

Jan 8, 07 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

phew, i'm glad to see people agree with me about bleep. for bleep's fucking sake.

Jan 8, 07 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
AP
for bleep's fucking sake.

instant classic.

3 day rule, Gin. Which makes it tomorrow. otherwise, ditto advice from lb and myriam. add a smidge of vado's "[meet] early next week because the demands of your exciting and high flying career" and you're set. keep us posted.

Jan 8, 07 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

Dagnabbit AP that was the 6500 post in TC!

drunken archi-hookups, pfff kids these days...

TED keep it coming...and next time send it in used notes.

Jan 8, 07 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
AP

and my 2nd page bottom in as many days...neither deliberate.

Jan 8, 07 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I get my kicks on page sixty-six.

Jan 8, 07 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller
bleep bleep

gin [bleep bleep bleep[/i]!

screw the rules - follow your heart/hormones

Jan 8, 07 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

call as soon as you're ready. like your little coach used to say, "play the ball, don't let the ball play you"

and as annoying as that bleep business is, i'm less concerned about the airline showing the movie as i am about why people are making movies with people talking about god. and has anybody else been to other website where they censor swear words? i was on the nike website recently and wrote "bullshit" which showed up as ******** after i submitted my comment.

Jan 8, 07 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i can't keep up

Jan 8, 07 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

my new cell phone censors the swear words in my texts--it drives me up the ducking wall

Jan 8, 07 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

i think we should make more movies about god. we should make movies about every single type of god in the universe. we should saturate people with other peoples bloody fucking gods, and then we would all know where everyone else stands and the concept of "god" wouldn't be a scary thing that supposedly incites wars. and we would still have wars anyway because people are always gonna find something to pick a fight over, and "god" is never the real reason anyway.

i have a girlfriend who insisted on saying "merry christmas!" to everyone who told her happy holiday--even though she doesn't believe in god--because she believed that we should all just say whatever the hell we wanted to say, that pleased each of us, and that was the path to true tolerance. let each be to his own, and we will learn to tolerate whatever the meaningless quote of the other is. why not?

like they say, if everything is sacred, nothing is... better that than trying to choose what to bleep out in the first place. if god is sacred to the royals, and their tradition is to swear in front of him, then i've learned a piece of fact from watching that in a movie. i will be able to be that much more respectful of them whenever i meet a royal.

extra dumb is the fact that listening to the movie on the plane is a choice that it is up to the user to make. no one is forcing whatever movie on the passengers.

Jan 8, 07 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

phew, i had a lot of rant in me! sorry, guys!

Jan 8, 07 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Update: I went ahead and called The Brunette. Her phone number is real, and she remembered me. We're getting together after work early next week for some casual activity yet to be determined. I'll give her another call next Monday to set up something more specific, but I wanted to call her today to let her know I wasn't blowing her off.

Thanks to the Thread Central bleeps for your advice and support.

Jan 8, 07 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

WHAT ARE YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT? WHAT'S ALL THIS BUSINESS WITH THE BLEEPING GODS? I'VE BEEN DOING SOME STUFF WITH LATERAL LOADS AND SEISMIC CEILINGS AND ALL THE SUDDEN WE'RE ON PAGE 66 NOW, AND PEOPLE ARE BLEEPING ALL OVER THE PLACE....

sorry for the caps, was CADing.....

Jan 8, 07 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski
tolerance is hot

...at least that's what paris hilton told me

Jan 8, 07 5:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: