Jan 3, 07 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Consultants - guilty.

Jan 3, 07 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
TED

murder as an act of passion - not guilty [been there]

health insurance company denying coverage for anything even if its writen in fine print -- guilty

sueing the cigarette mafia because you THINK that PERHAPs the fags you been smoking and additted to for some 40 years did cause your left lung to be removed. guilty

bankrupsey-any type - clear the debts let the bugger start again.

Jan 3, 07 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
TED

having your architectural license suspended because you cant be bothered to go to some wank/product lunch time seminar that cost $75 to get your CED credits - not guilty

Jan 3, 07 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
TED

its in your control. no sense just stopping at not guilty / guilty

divorce or civil action - tell them just to go home, get a dirty movie and work it out - everyone goes through mid life crisis

and what happens if a death penalty case comes before you? could you toast them like Jeb B does?

Jan 3, 07 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

crimes against humanity - guilty

corruption - guilty

not voting - guilty

apathy - guilty

lawyers - guilty

Jan 3, 07 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Being unmotivated at work thus causing a building failure and collapse - guilty.

Extenuating circumstances: if the reason you weren't paying attention at work was that something really exciting like the birth of a bunch of new little Garwondlers was happening on Archinect and thus you approved the structural steel shop drawing review that changed everything to milled aluminum - not guilty

Jan 3, 07 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

CEO, letting stocks crumble....then walking with $200,000,000.00. Home Depots "home boy ceo" GUILTY!

Jan 3, 07 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
TED

lb - perhaps you need a excuse letter from paul....

"dear owner and contractor;

please excuse lb's mark-up on those shops as garwondlers were hot that day and anyway aluminum is prettier than steel - i promise it will never happen again until next time"

your loving servant
p

Jan 3, 07 3:34 pm  · 
 · 

thinking of the birth of a bunch of new garwondlers makes me think of how mogwai were generated in the movie ‘gremlins’.

separate from unimportant issues like structural failure, how would changing structural steel to milled aluminum affect your budget?

Jan 3, 07 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

That's funny, TED, I was going to add a phrase about how the milled aluminum is prettier than steel anyway...milled aluminum for me is a wet material - somehow I associate it with water. Maybe when cut in cross section it just looks more liquid than steel does - steel is cold, but made of fire. Aluminum is both cold and wet, yet it's lovely.

Jan 3, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
TED

not hearing from abra in the last few minutes....

1]you dont this is just a ploy to get abra behind bars?
or

2]maybe their asking him serve as a jury member just to provide some cut rate design services [$15 if he makes it a second day] to decorate some judges office
or

3]first time jury trail for judge judy courtroom and they read his post on archinect and thought he'd make a fine forman.

Jan 3, 07 3:59 pm  · 
 · 

Chili, perhaps UMich (and the Big 10) should play a conference championship game like all of the other big time conferences... then they wouldn't have so much time off... without a tournament, i would have a hard time with a non-conference champion winning the national championship...

Jan 3, 07 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I can give you this advice, abra: being 7 months pregnant won't keep you off of a three week wrongful death jury, so forget about trying to fake it by stuffing a pillow under your shirt.

Though maybe in your case that would get you out of serving?

By the way, abra, make sure they take your picture today to post on the wall alongside Jamie Lee and EJOlmos after abracadabra, faia becomes a huge Hollywood success (starring Brad Pitt?) of course.

Jan 3, 07 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Jan 3, 07 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
TED
Jan 3, 07 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

yow.
i am here. went to walk around and on the disney hall and shot bunch of pictures from the outside. my first time there since it was an empty lot. if i am called again tomorrow, i'll do the caltrans and cathedral and moca and neutra office building next door. oh shit, i just realized that'd be several days. no sir. i don't want to be in this 5 th. floor justice center that long.
so far, i have been touring downtown bunker hill and posting here thinking and having been advised on what makes guilt. on the dark corridors i see mostly black people waiting to go in the courtrooms perhaps watching or being there for support of a close relative or a kin who committed a crime and got cought... did you guys heard the story of a black guy who stole a slice of pizza because he was hungry and it was his third strike and he was given life sentence here in long beach cali? that was ten years ago or so. i wonder what happened to him? i am certain he had had meny slices in jail free of charge. justice... whose justice and for whom?... third strike and you are out. reagan years folks. remember that.?
sure justice is case by case but there is a lot of generalization in between. i don't see these people, me included, have qualifications to make thet distinction. i am against the jury system...

Jan 3, 07 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

the third strike law is truly incredible. there are a lot of potheads behind bars for life because of that one.

i didn't hear about that pizza-thief dude, though... ugh. :(

Jan 3, 07 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i am called guys. going to judge somebody now...
abra signing off for now...

Jan 3, 07 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

here's an interesting article about the guy abra mentioned.
apparently it was more like a robbery...but he got out after 6 years.

link

Jan 3, 07 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
TED

wonder if he'll see bea, lizzy and the gang?
oh how i miss prisoner cell block h.

Jan 3, 07 6:27 pm  · 
 · 

Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Mack Brown, and/or any of the brothers Stoops = guilty

Jan 3, 07 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK
WTF!!!!

speaking of guilty! Ok, first of all, those prices are a complete rip-off. Secondly, it's times like these that I wish we had access to little "delete" buttons on threads....

Jan 3, 07 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

for BlindLadyJustice

Jan 3, 07 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

it is a domestic violence case. guilty as hell... guns, beatings and threats involved. the guy looks like a killer.

anyway i thought jury selection was going so well and it was just about few of us left without an interview and just about to be dismissed, attorney and the prosecutor rejected bunch of potential jurists whom i thought was just alright.
so, there is about eight more members needed and i am with more people is called back tomorrow morning for more interviews to fill in for the dismissed lucky ones.
fuck this.

i fought the jury system but the jury system won...

maybe... i'll keep you posted. but so far not so good. unless i pull a sidebar discussion with the judge and tell everybody that i am a problem person whose troubled... or something like that because whoever went to sidebar thing is dismissed so far.
i will keep you informed...

Jan 3, 07 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i hope abra wears an "architecture sucks" t-shirt to jury duty.

larry james talks funny

Jan 3, 07 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i just noticed this guy wants to sell computer parts in thread central. what the fuck, are we spammed?
puddles, i'll wear the t-shirt if i am selected tomorrow.

Jan 3, 07 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

abra, as a victim of domestic violence and witness to domestic violence, i say do what you can to stay on and convict the fuck.

Jan 3, 07 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Wk- just send an email to the archinect god :-) and maybe your wish will be delivered...

abra-

wifebeater = guilty
enjoy the free donuts!

Jan 3, 07 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I must have missed something - computer sales on thread central?

Just paid the first batch of bills for which I wrote "07" in the date line. I'm feeling more like '07 is real and hopefully will be better than '06. Yes, I'm feeling optimistic - perhaps because after paying bills I actual have not only double but triple digits in my account balance! Hit the grocery store tomorrow!!!

Jan 3, 07 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

thanks archinect gods!!!!

lb- it was an awful spam that took scrolling through two screens to get past- your better off not seeing the uglyness! yeah for the positive cash flow too!

Jan 3, 07 9:08 pm  · 
 · 

abra, repeat after me: "I am a libertarian." I swear to god, it gets you off. At least, it did in phoenix (where there were a LOT more libs than in LA!). They want people who are more predictable, not people who think that their laws are bullshit.

Jan 3, 07 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

abra wearing an "architecture sucks" t-shirt to jury duty is now the highlight of my £e$$ money shirt would be a good one too.

and that's too bad about larry james. i was also hoping to sell some computer parts on thread central. maybe baseball cards instead. i'll unload a mark mcgwire rookie card if someone offers enough euros.

Jan 3, 07 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

FOILED AGAIN!

So on the last project (summer) I set up the first couple of sheets with a title block/arrow/scale type shit that I copied from another project (we obviously have no standard). Only to have "my buddy" set up the remainder of the sheets with a different standard. No big deal, I changed mine with no fuss, no mention of it.

Current project: I again set up the first couple of sheets, this time I used the title-blocky-stuff that she used on the last project, thinking I was smart and ahead of the game. Today as I was looking thru the drawings, I discovered that she had set up several more sheets, using yet again another title block/north arrow/fonts etc. And yet again, since I set up the fewer number of sheets, I will change mine to match hers.

All these little things, are they so little? I think they are irritating and disrespectful. Who cares? I don't know, I do I guess. Is that petty? I think I'm being held back, being dragged down because of it.

Tomorrow is my annual review, I have been practicing my approach with my husband on how I am going to address these issues. I will put the emphasis on how this effects me and my work, wastes my time, and holds me back. (Rather than "tattletaling"). I am afraid of sounding petty, immature, and/or jealous if I do anything but. I will also give a simple ultimatum, either the principal helps me solve this problem or I will say sayonara. My proposed solution is that he will establish a heirarchy and/or keep us on separate projects.

Any additional advice is welcomed. Wish me luck, I will post my results.

Jan 3, 07 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I've sat on federal jury, I think they had a dress code....

Jan 3, 07 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Oh, the reason for the ultimatum is because I think my boss's response will be "Big Deal, get over it." As is his attutude with most everything.

Jan 3, 07 9:40 pm  · 
 · 

Good luck, Strawbeary. I'll be thinking of you. I just hope that if the boss gets involved, the solution he presents will be to your liking. Since one of the options you're giving him is to institute a hierarchy.... what will you do if he institutes a hierarchy, and your 'little friend' is on the higher end of it and you on the lower?

Jan 3, 07 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Straw, I don't know what to tell you. My very first review went well but I've had so many scuffles with my bosses I never know what to expect at this point. I guess maybe just do your best to keep your emotions out of it....maintain a very detatched approach, and stick to how these problems may negatively affect projects or the firm.

I need to do grad school stuff now. I'd rather sleep.

Jan 3, 07 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i guess that's a possibility. but that's about where we are now.

Jan 3, 07 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

^ responding to rationalist

Jan 3, 07 9:50 pm  · 
 · 

so you would stay if that was the case? or go? or take it until you can find something else ASAP?

Jan 3, 07 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i saw that judge had a laptop.
maybe i'll ask her to click into thread central before she considers me as a part of the justice team.
an archijudge....

Jan 3, 07 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I think I would probably go, r. I'm not too worried about finding another job. In discussing my situation with an older co-worker (over 35, heh heh), he affirmed my value in the firm. I feel confident that I have plenty to offer and if it is not recognized, then I am better off elsewhere. No hard feelings. I just don't belong.

Jan 3, 07 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
some person

And if abra does wear his ARCHITECTURE SUCKS t-shirt tomorrow, I hope the courtroom artist captures it on canvas. It would be one more for the Archinect archives.

Jan 3, 07 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Good luck, Strawbeary.

Speaking of annual reviews, I just had mine today... Only two months late. It actually went pretty well... They want to make me a "Project Architect" (their term), which they define as being an intermediary between CAD monkey and Project Manager. This will involve more of a leadership role on projects, some minor staff supervision, creating redmarks instead of merely picking them up. Not surprising, since almost everybody else in the firm is jumping ship, leaving me as one of the more senior non-management people there.

The good news is, they're offering me a salary to match. I had a salary number in mind that I was going to ask for, and I had another number in mind that was my absolute minimum. What they're offering me is almost exactly midway between those two numbers and retroactive to my actual aniversary date, so I can't complain.

Oh, and they want me to spend less time on the internet. [sheepish grin]

Jan 3, 07 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

And now a completely unrelated topic.....

I just felt like sharing and couldn't think of an appropriate thread to drop this on.

perhaps it's time to relocate

Jan 4, 07 12:13 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Scary link, DubK, but what kills me is the illustration: a picture of an airplane with the caption "A 747 similar to the one that crashed."

Good lord, are our attention spans really that short?

I have a busy day today and tomorrow culminating in a party at 5pm tomorrow at the 95% complete house remodel I've been working on. Two-hundred-plus potential and well-heeled clients all walking into one of my jobs. The contractor and I are both frantic. I'll post after the party and let you know how it went - hopefully I'll be buzzed on both wine and compliments.....

Jan 4, 07 8:28 am  · 
 · 
TED

did abra get convicted? or did the judge take his wi-fi account access away?

Jan 4, 07 10:40 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

abra delayed is abra denied...

Jan 4, 07 10:56 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

It's just now 8:30 am there. I'm sure abra's settling in.

I can't wait to hear about this party, lb! Sounds like a great opportunity. By the way, were things resolved regarding that other holiday party that you were kind of not really invited to?

Jan 4, 07 11:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: