Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

I dislike putting together closeout documents.  I'm not sad because the project is over.  No I'm upset because all the O & M's the GC and their subs submit are HUUUUUGGGGGGEEEEE files.  60 MB for a door warranty? Really.  Reduce file size . . . . 1.2 MB.  

Come on people.  

Jun 17, 21 12:13 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

were the sheets all rotated at least?

Jun 17, 21 12:46 pm  · 
6  · 
SneakyPete

It's the answer to the question "What happens when you ask the receptionist to collate 200 pdfs in a day?"

Jun 17, 21 1:14 pm  · 
4  · 

Thank jebus they where all correctly rotated.

Jun 17, 21 2:56 pm  · 
 · 

If there was money to be made in doing it, I'd suggest someone should start a company filled with administrative type people that just put this kind of thing together for contractors.

Jun 17, 21 4:07 pm  · 
1  · 
axonapoplectic

looks like lumber prices are starting to come back down to earth. 

Jun 20, 21 9:41 am  · 
1  · 
joseffischer

still haven't seen it here, but finally... been holding off on my own projects forever

Jun 22, 21 10:50 am  · 
 · 

I’m seeing this on my wood framed projects. Not enough yet, but making good progress.

Jun 25, 21 2:52 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

This is some wild stuff. 

Jun 24, 21 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Looks like someone trying to be sneaky and convert a duplex into a four unit or airbnb. Jurisdiction should stop beating around the bush, let them add stupid, expensive shit, and write a letter stating clearly that it's only a 2 unit, and always will be, and they will be watching. Any violations will be noted and penalties assigned accordingly. This legal tennis match is code-dick measuring.

Jun 24, 21 2:55 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

so... how much money was spent fighting this?

Jun 24, 21 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

city of atlanta and surrounding areas here, fridges and sinks all the time, but add that cooktop/range/oven/etc and that's not allowed, but I guess our dwelling units are also a bit more defined than the above jurisdiction.

Jun 25, 21 9:35 pm  · 
 · 

Today on Things that make me say, "Nope, not going there" ... 

Seeing rcz1001 as the latest comment on threads like, 

• Turning away work
  • Designing a plan set without a degree
  • Professional Liability Insurance for Licensed Architects
  • Black-owned [fill in the blank with anything ... literally anything]
Jun 25, 21 3:21 pm  · 
6  · 

So that’s what I’ve missed in the last few weeks not being active on here

Jun 25, 21 5:38 pm  · 
1  · 

Add seeing Rick as the last comment on the "UFO central" thread to the list as well.

Jun 25, 21 8:24 pm  · 
1  · 
square.

adding "living and working as an architect in nyc"

Jun 28, 21 3:34 pm  · 
 · 

All you archinectors in the PNW, hydrate and stay safe this weekend. Looks like you’re going to be setting records, then breaking them the next day for good measure. 

Jun 26, 21 12:30 am  · 
3  · 
tduds

Thanks. Yesterday was absolutely brutal. I thought we'd be okay at my in-laws pool, but we bailed and hid in the basement from about 3-8pm. Back in the AC today, firing on all cylinders just to keep the house at 85.

Jun 28, 21 3:53 pm  · 
2  · 
proto

My kid is a counselor at a day camp (city kids on bikes basically). No on-site water & no indoor space or access to a/c. His immediate supervisor made a stink and got the overlords to shut the camp at noon. They wanted to keep it open all day today(!!!). The supervisor is going to file a complaint with HR. My 16yo kid looked pretty rough at noon when he came home. I can only imagine the littles took a beating. For that matter, as a parent, who makes their kid go out in this?!?

[i suppose it's possible some of you desert folk are more used to this heat, but we are not acclimated to any kind of extreme heat here...and many are without tools to deal at home either (it's common to not have a/c & low insulation values in old structures)]

Our family is safe/healthy & it is not lost on me that many aren't today. Thank dog it tempers tonight!

Jun 28, 21 4:09 pm  · 
2  · 

Glad you're managing tduds. proto that sounds rough. 

My family in the PNW have no central AC, no basement, and said their thermostat was showing 91 degrees inside the house yesterday. They have a portable AC which they said keeps their bedroom cool enough. Wouldn't surprise me if they spend most of the afternoon today in the bedroom. Looks absolutely brutal.

Jun 28, 21 4:11 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

This visualization really puts it in perspective: 

Highs today are a relatively balmy 94. So happy to be through that & not looking forward to ever experiencing those temps again.

Jun 29, 21 2:00 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

I thought having a stalker here would be fun but this daer wanker is so sad in his/her/its attempt at trolling that it's just not a fair fight.  Oh well, back on the ignore list they go.  Who knew that being able to work successfully in multiple areas of the profession would be seen as a negative? 

Jun 26, 21 8:42 pm  · 
 · 

I'm up to 17. How many do you have?

Jun 26, 21 10:24 pm  · 
1  · 

I'm such a failure. I think I only have one stalker :(

Jun 28, 21 10:57 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

I can stalk you Chad if you want, but it won’t be cheap...

Jun 28, 21 12:14 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

pfff, I'll do it for half of what Rando charges.

Jun 28, 21 12:34 pm  · 
1  · 

Hmmmm. With the exchange rate for the Loonie I'd be a fool not to at least try NS.

Jun 28, 21 2:39 pm  · 
1  · 

Miles - you're only up to 15. At least two of them are actually Jay . . .

Jun 28, 21 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

people like NS undercutting is what's wrong in the stalker's profession

Jun 28, 21 4:26 pm  · 
 · 

I dunno - I think NS brings quite the value to the stalking service. I mean other cheap stalkers only perform when it's in their best interests. NS seems to always put his clients first. He's a fiduciary of stalkers.

Jun 28, 21 5:47 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

maybe I need to lower my prices some more... I'm attracting too many quality clients.

Jun 29, 21 2:54 pm  · 
1  · 

I am glad the moderators have cleaned up some of these threads. However,  I had a comment on a news article deleted that I thought was a fair and objective criticism. On Gehry's new building I made a single word comment - incoherent.

Jun 27, 21 12:56 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

Can’t even have a normal discussion about (the (potentially) negative aspects of) diversity labelling without moderators shutting it down...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jun 27, 21 11:30 am  · 
1  · 

to the advertisers ...

Jun 27, 21 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

it's visible there...

Jun 27, 21 6:27 pm  · 
 · 

Yes it is. Thank you to the moderator who added it back.

Jun 27, 21 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

No it isn’t visible, someone didn’t get the memo, even the moderators can’t make up their minds when it comes to the forced narrative of celebrating diversity labelling...

Jun 28, 21 2:15 am  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

Rando - were you talking about diversity washing? just change the name of things and set up pretend committees with no real power so it appears like we’re actually doing something.

Jun 29, 21 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

That’s one name to give that puppy, I just think it can do lots of harm...
all you need is a disgruntled racist that got refused a scholarship to go on a Falling Down kind of tour of rampage with Archinect’s list of diversity labelled offices in their area in hand...or a Christian fundamentalist to shoot up all the rainbow labelled offices from Archinect’s super handy overview.

Also, just because an office is made up of individuals with a certain background, gender, sexual preference or appearance, that doesn’t mean one is not open and accepting of others...just because you are not able to stick a certain label on your firm profile, it is the shallow promoting of superficial appearance over true actions, in my opinion.

Jun 30, 21 2:30 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I just realized there's never been a duck buildings thread here, or at least couldn't find it while searching. I feel this is an oversight that simply can not stand.

Jun 28, 21 5:54 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

Get it goin'

Jun 28, 21 6:59 pm  · 
 · 

Flashback to the turtle and potato buildings (halfway down the page); https://archinect.com/forum/thread/33434/thread-central/61650

Jun 28, 21 7:35 pm  · 
3  · 
archanonymous

I think there might be people on this forum that have never read Learning from Las Vegas.

Jun 29, 21 12:46 pm  · 
4  · 
SneakyPete

I read it, I just hate Salesforce Tower too much.

Jun 29, 21 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

More people are starting to come back to the office and it’s becoming clear just how many people experienced burnout over the pandemic. I am sort of glad I’m not the only one, but a lot of people are really not doing well mentally and I think haven’t fully processed what we all just went (and are still going) through.

Jun 29, 21 11:10 pm  · 
7  · 
Non Sequitur

today was my first day back and I got about 6 days' worth of work done before my 3rd cup of coffee... or at least it felt that way. No more working until 2am because of virtual school schedules eating up all my regular working hours. Felt good. I even dragged out the iron and wore my nice pink dress pants.

Jun 29, 21 11:23 pm  · 
8  · 
archanonymous

We've been ramping up to return also (part time in office strongly encouraged but not yet required) and I think they need to slow down - nothing good is going to come from us all being together. Every conversation I've had is "I'm so burnt out i can barely function, fuck this place, you know anyone who is hiring?"

Jun 30, 21 7:27 am  · 
7  · 

My husband is trying to hire and of the people he has interviewed all of them have said something along the lines of “I don’t care if it doesn’t pay as much as my current job, I just want to be doing work I enjoy, not going to a job I hate every day.” I honestly think the pandemic made everyone realize what is important and what isn’t.

Jun 30, 21 8:59 am  · 
4  · 
archanonymous

That's an interesting perspective on it. 

I do want a job I like, and all my recent interviews have been absolutely peachy (had 3 offers since May) but when it comes to pay and benefits they are incredibly disappointing, and I can't image an office culture or work type that would make up for that. 

Everyone wants a 10+ year PA with a ton of built work, technical and design chops, but they want to pay them $70k a year and 5 days off, but it's okay because we're all a family here. GTFO.

Jun 30, 21 10:00 am  · 
7  · 

My inbox is seeing emails from recruiters more frequently as everyone is trying to ramp back up and poach talent (have you seen the ABI?). I haven't pursued anything because I really am happy where I'm at though I know I've been getting burnt out with the work these last months. There haven't been as many tight deadlines this last month I've had to hit, but my productivity is down because I haven't really had a chance to recharge since the last big push before Memorial Day.

Take care of yourselves.

Jun 30, 21 11:54 am  · 
3  · 
archiwutm8

I'm fucking done. I'm tired, feeling exhausted every second of the day, overworked and every motherfucker wants something urgently because of course, everything is urgent. Get fucked Debbie from whatever motherfucking principle consulting firm, you'll get the information when I can get to it.

Jul 1, 21 3:55 am  · 
11  · 

I swear I am not archiwutm8. But I totally could have written exactly this.

Jul 1, 21 9:50 am  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

I find the past few weeks when I get overwhelmed I just go hold a tiny butt for a while and everything kinda fades away. I wish it wasn't going to eventually become a bigger butt.

Jul 1, 21 12:35 pm  · 
3  · 
Bench

So we're getting hardcore Rick-bombed again?

Jun 30, 21 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Don’t know if it’s bomb-worthy but Rando did get ricky’splained why Canada had not been in COVID lockdown since the 1980s. I find that funny.

Jun 30, 21 3:45 pm  · 
5  · 
tduds

I must have missed that one. Amazing.

Jun 30, 21 4:01 pm  · 
1  · 

does this mean he's given up on taking the ARE?

Jun 30, 21 4:55 pm  · 
1  · 
t a z

He had a bombing run on the NCARB forum last fall.

Jun 30, 21 6:17 pm  · 
1  · 
t a z

Exhibit A (scroll down thread for the classic RB text wall):

https://are5community.ncarb.org/hc/en-us/community/posts/360050269614-Fact-Check-The-NCARB-Lineup-Connection-

Jun 30, 21 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Is there a name for this kind of pathology?

Jul 1, 21 9:47 am  · 
1  · 
square.

the amount of fallacies on the "i hate this profession" thread is staggering at this point. you have to admire the ability to cloak a complete lack of understanding in endless "statistics"

Jul 1, 21 9:47 am  · 
 · 
t a z

Asperger's syndrome?

Jul 1, 21 10:06 am  · 
 · 
tduds

100%. I mean it with no disrespect or shame, but as a simple matter of fact. I know a handful of folks with Asperger's / Autism Spectrum Disorder and the behavior is textbook. When properly channeled people with ASD can be fairly brilliant, I hope he can find some of that focus to apply towards the ARE.

Jul 1, 21 11:20 am  · 
3  · 
tduds

square - I literally cannot follow that thread. I tried multiple times to read through it, even skimming for laughs, and my brain just rejects it.

Jul 1, 21 11:23 am  · 
2  · 
square.

tduds i went from thoughtfully contributing and having a good debate to exclusively correcting rick.

when this happens, i suggest we refer to it as:

Jul 1, 21 11:39 am  · 
2  · 

Me scrolling through the link:

Dang, all of these responses are rather long.

How am I supposed to find Rick's 'wall of text' without having to read . . . 

Never mind.  Thar be a the big wall - o text

Jul 1, 21 11:42 am  · 
1  · 

Just as a matter of stating what should be obvious ... Rick is reading this thread though he is barred from posting in TC. He has already emailed me to inform me of his ARE plans.

And the correct term is "balkinization" ...

Jul 1, 21 11:51 am  · 
1  · 

is balkinization like vulcanization?

Jul 1, 21 12:09 pm  · 
1  · 
t a z

Are you custodian of the RB ARE go-fund-me?

Jul 1, 21 12:10 pm  · 
 · 

no, he can do one himself if he wants to. I've indicated in the past he could get the money to cover the ARE expenses. I don't want to share what he expressed privately through email, but it doesn't seem like the money is the issue at the moment.

Jul 1, 21 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I'm really going to miss rick when I eventually career jump. I hope he follows me onto the UX or the digital arts communities too.

Jul 1, 21 12:16 pm  · 
2  · 

Chad, I hadn't thought of it that way. More literally I was thinking of the splintering of any type of flow to a thread as his replies and replies to those replies take on a life of their own to the point that following the OP and relevant comments is nearly impossible because it is so broken up.

i.e. geopolitical balkanization applied to the forums.

Jul 1, 21 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Oh my god RB is posting about the AIBD exam in the ARE forums? Hoooo boy.

Jul 1, 21 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

I am autistic and I have tried to give Rick some helpful suggestions. He wouldn't take any of them.

Jul 1, 21 9:35 pm  · 
3  · 
Wood Guy

To the moderator who deleted my response to randomised's comment in the Duck thread: thank you. I'm old enough that I really do read "#" as pound (or number) and not hashtag, but it was a tasteless joke, and not in the good way. 

Jul 1, 21 12:08 pm  · 
 · 

unrelated, but I've always liked the history behind how "pound" is abbreviated with "lb" and the "#" sign. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_sign#History

Jul 1, 21 12:19 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Missed it, am a sucker for tasteless jokes :(

Jul 1, 21 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

You, or somebody, wrote #MeToo. I'll let you connect the dots. My woke card is going to get revoked.

Jul 1, 21 2:57 pm  · 
3  · 

Maybe that’s a good thing. I just had a dealer tell me they couldn’t sell my work because I am a white male.

Jul 1, 21 3:44 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

That was Ricky Wood Guy...

Jul 1, 21 4:10 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

Miles, I'm guessing there is a little more to the story than that. In any case, we middle-aged white American guys need to understand that it's time for others to get a boost, like the ones we've enjoyed our entire lives.

Jul 1, 21 5:07 pm  · 
3  · 

So if I was black and a dealer said they couldn't sell my work because of the color of my skin that would be OK?

Jul 1, 21 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

It's not the same argument.

Jul 1, 21 5:46 pm  · 
2  · 

It's exactly the same argument.

Jul 1, 21 8:38 pm  · 
 · 

Miles it is not. It’s too late and I’m too tired to explain the entirety of racial dynamics to you but think about the notion of punching up versus punching down. And do some research, for gods sake.

Jul 1, 21 11:22 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

Perhaps not the same argument, but the end result for the artist is the same: not able to sell their work.

Jul 2, 21 2:03 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Miles - Find a different dealer and STFU. Or, don't find another dealer and STFU. Complaining on the internet accomplishes nothing but making you look like an asshole.

Jul 2, 21 2:23 am  · 
 · 

You don't punch one up by punching another down, that is the problem. We need to get rid of all the punching, especially the ingrained systemic racism that prvails throughtout society. 

When you see the color of a person's skin as a problem the problem is you. That dealer could have said 'your work is out of fashion' or 'I'm cashing in on BLM' but instead choose to put this in terms of my race. If I was any other race that would be a terrible violation but becuase I'm white that's OK? Those with politically correct blinders are unable to see the hypocrisy here.

@atelier, this is a critical observation, not a complaint. If you want to play cancel culture you can do it from my block list.

Jul 2, 21 10:16 am  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

I think it's great that so many white men are now seeing how bad it sucks to be left out or discriminated against just because and are able to express it. This is a necessary step IMO. It can go away as soon as we have successfully convinced the unconvinceables that discrimination is a thing and that it is wrong. There will be many casualties along the way but that is just part of the process.

Jul 2, 21 10:35 am  · 
6  ·  1
randomised

Nobody should be left out or discriminated against...it is not a necessary step at all, it’s a lazy cop-out in my opinion that will not lead to a durable and sustainable end of discrimination. it is robbing people of the opportunity to have a real dialogue when representatives of the (former) oppressors are totally excluded from it all as a kind of payback, can’t educate yourself when not allowed in the classroom. It’s a recipe for radicalisation on all fronts with only losers in the end.

Jul 2, 21 12:48 pm  · 
2  · 
Wilma Buttfit

There is no real dialogue because 60% of the country thinks it doesn't exist.

Jul 2, 21 2:11 pm  · 
2  · 

There is no dialogue becuse people are afraid of being ostracized for speaking. 

Jul 2, 21 2:45 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

There is no dialogue because people stop listening when they choose to take things personally.

Jul 2, 21 2:51 pm  · 
3  · 

There is no dialogue if your cup is full.

Jul 2, 21 3:33 pm  · 
 · 

Just finished up the submittals for two projects.  Needed to pull a couple 50 hour weeks to do this. 

All of my other six projects are experiencing a lull for various reasons.  They are still moving forward but right now I'm not able to work on them. 

Such an odd feeling to have little to do.  

Jul 1, 21 1:29 pm  · 
3  · 
gibbost

Agreed. Same feeling here. Been going at break-neck speed for so long that when a small break occurs it almost feels unnatural. Enjoy the opportunity to clear out your inbox or declutter the file cabinet. Or take the afternoon off and enjoy a cocktail.

Jul 1, 21 3:40 pm  · 
 · 

Not allowed to take the afternoon off, have to stay in the office. I don't let my email or file cabinets get out of control.

Jul 1, 21 4:51 pm  · 
 · 

So don't take the afternoon off, but still enjoy a cocktail

Jul 1, 21 4:54 pm  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

I'll send you some work.

Jul 1, 21 4:55 pm  · 
 · 

If that's from your high paying client I'll take it!

Jul 1, 21 5:21 pm  · 
 · 

EA - I'm not supposed to eat or drink at my desk. I still do drink at my desk - diet soda. I'm just not supposed to. ;)

Jul 1, 21 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Chad - I'd call that a hostile work environment, if not a flat-out crime against humanity. No coffee, no workee.

Jul 2, 21 2:18 am  · 
2  · 

Caffeinated drinks and water are excluded from the not drinks rule.

Jul 2, 21 10:40 am  · 
 · 

"I still do drink at my desk - diet soda. I'm just not supposed to."

"Caffeinated drinks and water are excluded from the not drinks rule."

Caffeinated diet soda ok though? Do you have to get permission to use the restroom?

Jul 2, 21 11:42 am  · 
1  · 

According to the last owner - no. The new owners really don't care as long as you keep your desk clean. It's officially still in the employee handbook "employees are not to eat or drink anything other than water at their desks. We've paid a lot of money for these desks and we want to keep them looking good" The current owners just haven't removed that section. :)

As for the bathrooms . . .

The older owners thought I spent too much time in there and told me so. I had to explain to them that I used the single use toilet room to change out my diabetic insulin pump and blood glucose monitor.   The funny part was when I was trying to explain why I was in there for 'such a long time' one of the previous owners got mad and kept saying 'I don't care or want to know what you're doing in there'.  Once he realized what he was doing was discrimination he shut up and no longer cared how long I was in the toilet room. 

I'm glad to have the new owners.  

Jul 2, 21 12:08 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

Jeez, just get a coaster.

Jul 2, 21 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

I know right?

Jul 2, 21 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

"We've paid a lot of money for these desks", but, why?

Jul 2, 21 12:50 pm  · 
 · 

What's easier to deal with: 1) replacing a desk every once in a while, 2) training new workers all the time because of a hostile work environment, or 3) realizing that a little patina to the office furniture isn't such a bad thing?

Jul 2, 21 12:55 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I keep the plastic wrap on all of my furniture for much the same reason.

Jul 2, 21 2:32 pm  · 
1  · 

Chad, I’ve only once worked at an office that cared how long our breaks from our desk were, and it was awful. I can’t believe people gave you a hard time for spending “too much” time in the bathroom. FFS.

Jul 2, 21 9:41 pm  · 
1  · 

Yeah. Once I let the former owner know it was for a medical reason he backed off pretty damn quick. I hate using my type 1 diabetes as an 'excuse' but sometimes exceptions have to be made.

Jul 6, 21 10:58 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I like this type of news, helps with high horses

https://www.dw.com/en/apologiz...

Jul 1, 21 2:05 pm  · 
 · 

Yes, we’re sorry. Now move along, nothing to see here.

Jul 1, 21 3:35 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

well then, I take 2 days and disappear to the lake (no cell service) with a case of beer and all hell breaks loose here? Caught rickyB’s earlier comment before it was nuked and oh boy, what a bat shit crazy trip that was.  

Jul 2, 21 5:23 pm  · 
 · 

Must have been the heat over in Astoria from the #heatdome that set him off. Forums are all yours for the weekend, I'm checking out for a while.

For those who celebrate on this side of the border, try not to blow anything up or start any fires this weekend.

Jul 2, 21 6:24 pm  · 
3  · 
proto

i'm just seeing the "all lives matter" screed too

fucking ignorant

Jul 2, 21 6:48 pm  · 
1  · 
Bench

Can I get a cliff notes version ?

Jul 2, 21 9:01 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Bench, proto describes it well. I’d clarify that it’s more along the line of “all lives matter but I’m insecure with loosing my advantage, so I still matter more”.

Jul 2, 21 9:04 pm  · 

I would say that the display of righteous anger is a give away that the ignorance is willful.

Jul 2, 21 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
proto

Also of note: he claimed to have been repeatedly reincarnated in various forms/genders/races going back to before humanity appeared on earth so he knows the experiences of others…

Jul 2, 21 10:42 pm  · 
2  · 
proto

Thanks, mods, for the weekend cleanup!

Jul 4, 21 12:41 am  · 
2  · 
tduds

Oh boy... Not sure whether I'm glad to have missed that or sad I can't read the fallout.

Jul 6, 21 1:41 pm  · 
1  · 

Why is Rick allowed to use this site?

Jul 6, 21 4:01 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

A questionably ardent commitment to maintaining an open forum for speech?

Jul 6, 21 4:07 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Rick is more equal than others(!)

Jul 6, 21 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
proto

I've said it before...i'd vote him off the island if i got a vote in the matter. he adds nothing but drama (sometimes it's tragically entertaining, but mostly tiresome after all these years...)

Jul 6, 21 6:20 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

I’m afraid of what could happen to Rick or people around him if he wouldn’t have this place to share his often incoherent and mostly factually incorrect statements about architecture, politics or life in general...

Jul 7, 21 2:24 pm  · 
 · 

I’m in North Myrtle Beach with my family, and we just conveyed my mom’s ashes into the ocean amidst a wonderful barrage of fireworks on the beach.it was beautiful! Conflicted, but beautiful.

Jul 4, 21 11:00 pm  · 
11  · 

You guys, isn’t there a Books Central thread somewhere?

Jul 5, 21 7:16 pm  · 
3  · 

What are you reading?

Jul 5, 21 9:09 pm  · 
 · 

The Overstory by Richard Powers. It’s awesome, in the old meaning of that word. Sublime.

Jul 6, 21 4:06 pm  · 
2  · 
axonapoplectic

more people coming back in the office has made me realize just how much I’ve allowed self doubt to fester during the pandemic. I had gotten used to sending things out into the world and receiving little to no feedback. Today a coworker walked past, stops and says “wow! That looks really good! What are you working on?” They were actually impressed by something that I was stressing out over and thinking it was terrible - something that I would have just sent out and gotten a couple nitpick-y comments back from the principal in charge.

it felt good to have a colleague be impressed by my work. That’s something I missed - having someone get me out of my head and helping me realize that I might actually be good at my job.

Jul 6, 21 8:57 pm  · 
7  · 

Thank you for sharing this axon! I thrive on being around others. It’s been such a hard 15 months.

Jul 7, 21 6:36 am  · 
2  · 
archanonymous

I gotta remind myself as a PA/ Senior Arch to speak up when I see good work on my team and other teams. 

Especially with my personality, I tend to think "Oh, they know it's good - I don't want to be patronizing." but that is almost never the case. 

If you see something (good) say something (nice.)

Jul 7, 21 8:21 am  · 
4  · 
Wood Guy

That is a nice thing about working in offices. I have a small virtual cohort of architect friends that have kept me somewhat sane, and we sometimes share work with each other. But one thinks highly of their skills (deservedly) and can't lower themselves to make any positive comments, only critique. The critique is usually warranted, but an "attaboy" now and then still feels good, even with thinning white hair! Fortunately my clients are all residential and are usually very happy with the early stages of design, so as long as I have a few of those in the works I'm good.

Jul 7, 21 9:07 am  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

I fall into the same trap. If I do have something critical to point out, I like to use the ol' "criticism sandwich", or at least make it an open-face sandwich, and pair one critical observation with some praise. 

It's not an empty gesture either. When you are always looking for the good in the work (in addition to the weak points) it helps you to distill it more clearly and thoughtfully than just pointing out what is wrong with it.

Jul 7, 21 9:35 am  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

Same here, except I'm crass enough to call it a shit sandwich. I likely go too far on praise, to the point where it may not be appreciated. A little praise, a little criticism, a little praise is a good approach though. And I agree about intentionally looking for the good in others' work--it makes me feel positive and like I learned something. 

Jul 7, 21 9:41 am  · 
 · 

Hi TC! Been too long with just a bit of lurking.

Sneaky congrats on the kid! Hard to believe mine is 18 months now, I can't imagine the last 16 months of pandemic/WAH w/o him def been the biggest upside/source of smiles.

As for the trauma and/of reentry that arch, arch and others referenced, we still haven't gone back but I imagine will req some adjusting to say the least. Will certainly miss all the in-between-meeting moments with Sam Wayne, but I did enjoy getting dressed and putting on shoes when I went into the office a few months ago.

Finally, have we talked about Cabletron co-founder Robert Levine's Colorado mega-mansion?

Jul 7, 21 12:32 am  · 
4  · 
citizen

Good to see you back, Nam.

Jul 7, 21 12:54 am  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Congratulations to you, too! I've never been more proud of or fulfilled by anything else in my life. It's a beautiful feeling.

Jul 7, 21 1:30 am  · 
2  · 
atelier nobody

"Finally, have we talked about Cabletron co-founder Robert Levine's Colorado mega-mansion?"

Can we please not? I already have a bit of indigestion today.

Jul 7, 21 12:47 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

that's not a mansion, it's an amusement park

Jul 7, 21 12:52 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

ice cream parlor with a sconce problem

Jul 7, 21 2:24 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

Just looked at that listing. Head exploding. Too many absurdities. Can't choose just one to mock. Gaaaaahh!!

Jul 8, 21 3:57 pm  · 
 · 

also proto Rick said what?

"Also of note: he claimed to have been repeatedly reincarnated in various forms/genders/races going back to before humanity appeared on earth so he knows the experiences of others…"

Jul 7, 21 12:35 am  · 
 · 
proto

I’ll post the pic I took tomorrow - it’s on my work machine

Jul 7, 21 1:07 am  · 
3  · 
proto

viola!

Jul 7, 21 12:43 pm  · 
3  · 
tduds

weeee

Jul 7, 21 12:55 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

I don't often take screen shots of forum posts, but, when I do, they tend to be batshit crazy...

Jul 7, 21 1:00 pm  · 
2  · 
Bench

Also can't help but notice "stepping away from the forum" appears to have lasted for a whole couple of hours.

Jul 7, 21 1:08 pm  · 
4  · 
citizen

"Stepping away" = I'm going to the bathroom; be right back!

Jul 8, 21 3:52 pm  · 
1  · 
archiwutm8

Laughing my ass off here. An old-timer was complaining about assistants jumping ship after 1 year of him training them so they can go make more money.

"Young people have no loyalty and only want money"

How out of touch can you be that you think paying people minimum wage in one of the worlds most expensive cities is going to suffice at keeping young talent? We would all do it if the next company is paying 25℅+.

Jul 7, 21 7:16 am  · 
6  · 
Bench

Was it also quickly followed up by complaints about how young people aren't buying houses because of some bullshit reason related to do with them not having enough money?

Jul 7, 21 8:52 am  · 
4  · 
Non Sequitur

if we could harness energy from old farts yelling at clouds... we'd have an indefinite power source.

Jul 7, 21 8:57 am  · 
 · 
Bench

There is a direct correlation between the amount someone insists they've been doing this for 'x' years as a condescending way to talk over you / unsubtley tell you to shut the fuck up and my ability to completely tune said individual out.

This comment may be work related.

Jul 7, 21 10:36 am  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

someone I know started his interviews asking applicants if they had been to south east Asia yet, he had a theory that interns would work for a year and then leave for Asia on a six month vacation after he had trained them. it is weird how we age and get these ideas.

Jul 7, 21 10:47 am  · 
archiwutm8

JLC-1, What if I want to leave for Asia several times?

Jul 7, 21 2:19 pm  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

you'd have to find different employers

Jul 7, 21 6:19 pm  · 
 · 

NS . . .

Jul 8, 21 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

https://archinect.com/news/art...

For anyone interested in non-usa-centric social justice developments and before it gets buried in the news feed.  

Jul 7, 21 8:27 am  · 
3  · 
Wood Guy

Wow, good for them!

Jul 7, 21 9:09 am  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball

Hey, that's my city. I think many people saw that coming - at least one of the statues was vandalized recently. Nobody seems to mind, from what I'm hearing. All the news about the bodies being discovered has people rightly pissed off.

Jul 7, 21 1:27 pm  · 
4  · 
Non Sequitur

"...police said nobody was hurt in the incident"

What, not a single officer emptied 9 mag's worth of freedom bullets into the suspect?  Wait... wrong country. 

Jul 7, 21 11:10 pm  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball

NS let's not sprain our arms by patting ourselves on the back. This is all a reaction to a long-standing cultural genocide. The last residential schools only closed in the late 1990s - we're both old enough to have been forced to go. Let that sink in for a minute.

Jul 8, 21 12:11 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ I’m aware of that BB. I do work within a stones throw of the parliament building and it’s a small comfort to know that there is more police resistance to a hockey célébration (see tear gas on Montreal) than than these demonstrations.

Jul 8, 21 6:22 am  · 
 · 
citizen

I must be getting rusty... comment already hidden in the cougar-overpass thread.  At least it wasn't deleted.

Jul 7, 21 3:20 pm  · 
3  · 
JLC-1

there's no humor anymore.

Jul 7, 21 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Cougars and overpasses, that sounds fun--where's this thread?

Jul 8, 21 12:42 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

Thank you. I rarely look at the news here; I thought you meant a forum thread.

Jul 8, 21 2:11 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

This is a sign, I'm sure - I wonder who's building the guillotines

Jul 8, 21 10:52 am  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

It's like Monty Python is writing the current history. "Enjoy a luxurious stay at the building NEXT to the building next to the building at the Palace of Versailles..."

Jul 8, 21 12:03 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

* Beheadings available for a nominal fee. 

** Complimentary bottle of peasant tears provided in each suite.

*** Visitor snack bar menu: Cake (nothing else, just cake).

Jul 8, 21 1:05 pm  · 
4  · 
proto

mmm, cake...!

Jul 8, 21 1:51 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

Last time I was in Versailles.... I went up to the snack bar in the gardens and ordered a Stella like it was a normal thing. The problem was, it was about 10am and I totally forgot about the time (early morning I guess). Still sat down on the patio and drank the beer. The french might be awful at most things but sometimes they get it right.

Jul 8, 21 2:23 pm  · 
3  · 
archanonymous

Uh... is that not normal?

Jul 8, 21 3:42 pm  · 
2  · 

…by the way, you guys, I started a new job today! At age 54 I’m once again pivoting my career. I’m too tired to write about it now but I’m super, super excited. And I just really want young people to realize there are SO many options and opportunities out there! 

Jul 8, 21 10:54 pm  · 
26  · 
tduds

Congrats, Donna. I hope your pivot goes well and I can't wait to hear about it when you're ready to spill.

Jul 9, 21 12:01 am  · 
4  · 
citizen

Ditto, Donna!

Jul 9, 21 12:23 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

Hope you threw in the Revit-towel!

Jul 9, 21 4:40 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Interested to see this new endeavor. Congrats.

Jul 9, 21 8:44 am  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

Wow, congrats!

Jul 9, 21 10:50 am  · 
 · 

Do let us know what you're up to when you get a moment. I'm interested to hear about it. Good luck!

Jul 9, 21 11:42 am  · 
1  · 
curtkram

i started at a new place this week as well!

Jul 9, 21 8:16 pm  · 
4  · 
gwharton

Looking forward to hearing more about your change-up, Donna. I also did a switcheroo back in January, retiring from consultant architecture to do real estate development full time. It's been wonderful.

Jul 12, 21 3:11 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Five days of anticipation-building seems like a good amount--c'mon, spill the beans! What's your new gig?! (Also, congrats!) ;-)

Jul 13, 21 9:02 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

5G stab no2 received. Now I’m legally obligated to lick every doorknob I see. 

Jul 9, 21 8:43 am  · 
9  · 

Woot!

Jul 9, 21 10:08 am  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

Congrats! It's crazy how behind the USA other countries are. 

I guess we have the stupidest people but the smartest scientists.

Jul 9, 21 10:59 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

Got my second shot last weekend, my phone’s battery drains much faster since...

Jul 9, 21 11:56 am  · 
1  · 

It's cuz of the 5G bluetooth connection that the microchips in the vaccine have. DUH!

Jul 9, 21 2:04 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Jul 9, 21 2:20 pm  · 
4  · 

@Donna, that is very exciting! Lot's of that happening lately it seems! Wasn't there a downsizing/relocation too? I start an exciting new project myself (though same job/org) later this summer!

It had been delayed a yearish because of capital/pandemic.

Night all.

Jul 12, 21 1:30 am  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

Gotta love it when you've begged for information for weeks and now it's deadline day and you're having to search for it yourself.

Jul 12, 21 2:49 pm  · 
4  · 

Story of my career so far. Nothing I love more than waiting for the decision makers to make a decision, only to then have to make the decision for them on your own. Just wait for when they don't like the decision and want to change it during CA.

Jul 12, 21 3:08 pm  · 
5  · 

Hey all, I recently came across this

"The collaboration between...Mr. Gehry and Mr. Serra...proposed a bridge connecting the Chrysler Building with the World Trade Center.

Their stunning and powerful model is at once a comment on the
technological visionaries of the past, who thought they could reshape
the city in a single gesture, and a comment on the buildings themselves.
"

Then looked at TimesMachine to check the original print edition and while there were some drawings published, no images for this project seem to have been included in the original article. Anyone out there have an image or more info for this?

Most of those other images/projects don't bring me much joy...excepting perhaps Ambasz's "gate of trees".

Jul 13, 21 12:17 am  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

sometimes this whole forum feels like "psychiatry central". Therapy sessions all over. "I told my kid.." "I left architecture..." me, me, me.

Jul 13, 21 11:38 am  · 
3  · 
Wood Guy

Is that something you'd like to talk about?

Jul 13, 21 11:53 am  · 
4  · 
JLC-1

I could, for a fee.

Jul 13, 21 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Is there beer?

Jul 13, 21 12:21 pm  · 
 · 

Which is why I bumped that post from 2004 about switching careers. Almost 20 years and nothing has changed.

Jul 13, 21 12:34 pm  · 
4  · 

I still find it odd the amount of 'I work 60 hours a week doing toilet partition details' posts here. I've never experienced that in my career. I must of just been lucky.

Jul 13, 21 2:40 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

chad, it has to do with the size of the offices; I haven't experience that either, but I've never been in an office with more than 6 people. I know guys that started at SOM and didn't do anything but assembly details for 2 years.

Jul 13, 21 2:46 pm  · 
1  · 

That's ridiculous. I've worked in firms as large as 30 people and never encountered that. I suppose this is part of the large firms process to 'mentor' staff but geesh.

Jul 13, 21 2:52 pm  · 
 · 

I only experienced that level of monotony in a small firm that only did one type of project and relied on low-paid people working extra hours to be profitable (50 hrs/wk was mandatory during the busy summer months). It was terrible place to work and I got out as soon as I got a better offer.

Even the large offices I've been in (not SOM ... I can't speak about them personally), have all been good about not putting people on the same thing project after project after project. They would rather you stick around than burn out spectacularly. The key though is that you need to be able to advocate for yourself to let them know you want some variety ... otherwise they'll assume you're fine with doing bathroom details all the time. The difference at the small office was that if you asked to do something else they'd just laugh and say there is nothing else.

Jul 13, 21 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

maybe these kids are just really slow at detailing partitions? maybe still stuck in autocad?

Jul 13, 21 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I would absolutely LOVE if someone asked me to only draw toilet rooms all day. Easy as pie and it's actually a fun problem to solve even if no one cares about the aesthetic outcomes.

Jul 13, 21 7:18 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

I love monotony for a day or two

Jul 14, 21 2:30 am  · 
2  · 

I kind of hope my trainer makes me do legs this evening because THIS DAY HAS BEEN A BUTTHEAD

Jul 13, 21 5:32 pm  · 
1  · 

Well you should neve skip leg day. I'm not sure about butthead day . . .

Jul 13, 21 5:33 pm  · 
 · 

I don't skip leg day, and once my trainer said I needed to grow my butt because I didn't have much going on back there. Wasn't quite sure how to take that.

Jul 13, 21 5:43 pm  · 
1  · 

Depends if he / she was hitting on you and if you're into it. ;) 

Jul 13, 21 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

What happened, Josh?

My brother is a fitness junkie and says that the butt muscles are very important. If you have a sore back or legs, or possibly even a sore neck, it might be from an under-developed butt.

Jul 13, 21 6:57 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

If you wanna do legs just do legs!

Jul 14, 21 2:30 am  · 
 · 

Yesterday was just one of those days that Limp Bizkit sings about. Kidding - just little fires to put out everywhere. Today is much better.

Jul 14, 21 12:09 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

did you... did you just want to break stuff?

preferably, break stuff like a chainsaw?

(I'm aware those might not be the lyrics but I ain't doing a google search for limp bizkit on my work pc).

Jul 14, 21 12:19 pm  · 
3  · 

I heard
that if you Google Limp Bizkit on your work PC, a photo of Fred Durst immediately becomes your background

Jul 14, 21 1:40 pm  · 
4  · 
randomised

I’d be more worried about all that posting on archinect on a work pc...

Jul 14, 21 3:26 pm  · 
 · 

Why? You're Dutch. I'd assume that as long as you're not watching too much hardcore German XXX you'd be fine.

Jul 14, 21 4:01 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

The offense, of course, would be that it's German.

Jul 14, 21 4:17 pm  · 
1  · 

I shudder to think what Dutch XXX is like . . . .

Jul 14, 21 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

You can't even export it.

Jul 14, 21 6:06 pm  · 
3  · 

That made me giggle.

Jul 14, 21 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

XXX is actually the coat of arms of Amsterdam

Jul 15, 21 7:18 am  · 
 · 

I know. I was trying to be cheeky. :D

Jul 15, 21 10:17 am  · 
1  · 

OK you guys, here is the quick update on my new job. I am now a Senior Owner’s Representative with IFF.org. The company is headquartered in Chicago, but I am in one of many small Midwest regional offices. We are a nonprofit that helps *other* nonprofits with capital projects, for example finding a headquarters building, or renovating an existing building, or building new structures - whatever kind of built infrastructure they need to support their mission.  I am in the real estate arm of the company which means I am doing a lot of walk-throughs of existing buildings, facilities assessments, basic space planning, and staff engagement to figure out what their programming needs actually are LOL. I am beyond excited to finally be doing completely mission driven work. Granted, I might not always agree with the mission LOL, but it is honestly a company of people helping other people try to make the world better. It’s perfect for me!

Jul 14, 21 7:30 pm  · 
21  · 
Wood Guy

That sounds like a fun change, Donna--congrats!

Jul 14, 21 7:49 pm  · 
2  · 

Wonderful gig, congrats!

Jul 15, 21 12:23 am  · 
1  · 
citizen

Nice, Donna. That sounds like a great job!

Jul 15, 21 2:20 am  · 
1  · 
archiwutm8

Sounds great and rewards, congratulations!

Jul 15, 21 5:48 am  · 
1  · 

Yeah congrats that sounds like an interesting and rewarding gig!

Jul 14, 21 10:36 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

This is actually interesting, in a baroque way 

I can see the tech used in smallish elements, and being metal opens up a bunch of possibilities for joinery and hardware, I wonder if anybody is 3d printing faucets or door handles? Just don't try to print a house, it's silly.

Jul 15, 21 4:19 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

Damn it! Who forgot to change the cartridge in the 3D printer?

Jul 15, 21 7:52 pm  · 
4  · 
SneakyPete

Looks like an under-extrusion problem. Or the slicer fucked up the gcode.

Jul 15, 21 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

hey, only half the need for gutters.

Jul 15, 21 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

This Apukov vs Miles thread is hilarious internet beef, but it does make me think it would be cool to have a thematic "post your work" thread. Maybe one topic a week and keep it detailed? Stairs, then windows, then flashing, etc etc?

Jul 16, 21 8:36 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Decent idea and it would trigger many deep dives into the project archives.

Jul 16, 21 8:44 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Good idea--do it!

Jul 16, 21 9:11 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

could be called post-your-work-central. I'll kick the hamster cage and start looking in my site picture archives.

Jul 16, 21 9:25 am  · 
1  · 

I'm glad you find it entertaining. Maybe you should use your real name here and have some anonymous asshole harrass you consistently.

Jul 16, 21 9:29 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

lol, nah I'm good Miles. 

Happy to sit back and watch you two go at it. I don't think my identity is a secret to any long-time archinecters, but weirdos like him are exactly why I keep it anon.

Jul 16, 21 9:31 am  · 
4  · 
archiwutm8

I want t
o post my work but I mostly only work with NDA contracts and big enough projects that you'll have 100s of articles about.

Jul 16, 21 6:41 pm  · 
1  · 

similar boat as me archiwutm8. If I started posting up my work, you'd all be able to figure out who I work for ... not to mention a lot of the work is under NDAs.

Jul 16, 21 8:34 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Cant post anything either, but it’s fun to see some of the stuff people are doing

Jul 17, 21 12:58 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

We had an office-wide talking-to a couple of years ago about how to take photos for CA, and posting progress photos on social media. In short: don't do it because it's discoverable in a potential lawsuit. I'm a little dismayed over the litigious paranoia at work there, but that's life. The project I posted in that thread was shared on our official social media when it was completed, so those are fair game. There are plenty of others I'd love to share, but shouldn't.

Jul 21, 21 12:41 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

yay lawyers. as individuals, lotta good folks. as a profession? enh.

Jul 21, 21 12:54 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

So... you're saying I should refrain from posting more smoke sealant caulk pics because of the liability issues? Never!

Jul 21, 21 12:58 pm  · 
1  · 

Cheers for locking up the USA vs Europe xenophobic troll bait.

Jul 16, 21 4:38 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

Yeah, now we can just simply continue that topic in all the other threads...

Jul 17, 21 12:57 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Sex.

Jul 17, 21 3:37 pm  · 
 · 

Ok, we can't have four days of silence up in here.

In the dating chronicles of Josh - someone mentioned yesterday that they hated Marina City. I live in another Bertrand Goldberg building. There's some mismatched values there.

Jul 21, 21 8:56 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

They should replace every stupid "prove you're not a killer robot" security features with a "is Marina City fucking awesome" true or false question. Answer false and get blocked/booted/punched... whatever, I'm no web security genius... but it would work.

Jul 21, 21 9:15 am  · 
3  · 

This is correct.

Jul 21, 21 9:29 am  · 
 · 

What if I've never heard of Marina City?  I know of the Corncob though. ;)

Jul 21, 21 12:28 pm  · 
 · 

Did you ask if they like Wilco? Perhaps it could be a compromise?

Nope. Never mind, life is too short.

Jul 21, 21 1:03 pm  · 
4  · 
vado retro

They have reservations. About so many things...

Jul 24, 21 11:35 am  · 
1  · 

...but not about you (or I guess it would be Josh ... but you too vado retro)

Jul 29, 21 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I feel like I agitated for the PYW thread then just peaced out, but it's been a really tough week+.

Feels like we go through hell to draw all these drawings with too little staff and too little time, the QA/QC team doesn't check them, and then the GC never reads them before sending an RFI, which is then automatically our issue to deal with.

On top of that, we're payed too damn little, work too damn much, and don't get any god damn respect.

Jul 22, 21 5:45 pm  · 
4  · 
SneakyPete

I find the people that have the  most respect for Architects know very few Architects and are responsible for paying zero Architects.

Jul 22, 21 6:06 pm  · 
2  · 
Wilma Buttfit

I repsect you. Piece.

Jul 22, 21 9:36 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

Archanonymous, I hope you don't feel like I took over your idea by posting it--I have a habit of doing that kind of thing. I just thought it was a good idea for a thread, and it didn't sound like you were going to do it. I'll keep it up as long as there's interest, unless you or someone else wants to take over.

Sorry you had a tough week. I'm technically on vacation this week; it was supposed to be my first week-long vacation in 15 years but I've ended up working part of every day so far. I have two architects helping me on projects now and I have a ton of respect for them, though of course I wish they knew everything I know so I wouldn't have to actually manage them...

Jul 23, 21 10:28 am  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

Not at all - but it might be interesting to do new threads that are topical instead of everything going to one big ol thread? Maybe I'll kick it off.

Jul 23, 21 11:46 am  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

Also going topical in the title might allow us to open it up to people who don't have a ton of completed ground-up buildings.

Jul 23, 21 11:46 am  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

Good idea!

Jul 25, 21 9:51 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Not touching that White Male ARE thread with a 49-1/2 foot pole.

Jul 23, 21 2:17 pm  · 
4  · 
SneakyPete

I figure the best way to remove hornets is with a shorter pole and some kinetic motion.

Jul 23, 21 2:24 pm  · 
 · 

smart, I ventured in there yesterday and saw people completely misunderstanding the point of the study and the findings ... I couldn't help myself. Now that Rick's in there it's only a matter of time before it gets shut down or he makes another stupid racist comment and gets himself banned.

Jul 23, 21 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Care to go metric with that pole dimension, tduds? It's safer.

Jul 23, 21 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^see, everything is better in metric.

Jul 23, 21 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I bet you could make a nice arsenic sauce, though

Jul 25, 21 9:50 am  · 
2  · 
tduds

At least somebody gets the reference.

Jul 26, 21 12:44 pm  · 
1  · 

The reference is why it doesn't work in metric. Also I'm finding that it is a 39-1/2 foot pole. 

Jul 26, 21 12:54 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Whoops.

Jul 26, 21 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Okay, explainer needed...

Jul 26, 21 4:09 pm  · 
 · 

"I wouldn't touch you with a thirty-nine-and-a-half foot pole!"

"You're a three decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwich with arsenic sauce!"

Jul 26, 21 4:27 pm  · 
1  · 
axonapoplectic

i now know someone who got breakthrough covid. Last time I talked to them they were bragging about how many parties they had gone to since they were fully vaccinated.

vaccine means you can finally visit grandma again - it is not a magical shield that protects you from covid at drug fueled orgies.

Jul 24, 21 8:04 pm  · 
3  · 
randomised

It does protect as it keeps you from the intensive care...hospitals are only filling up with the un/undervaccinated and antivaxxers.

Jul 25, 21 9:48 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

* to add, there are some vaccinated people ending up in the hospital, around 10% or so, but hardly any on the ICU.

Jul 25, 21 11:14 am  · 
 · 

Haven’t updated in a while unless you follow me on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook. 11 months post surgery now and my three health issues (pre-diabetes, non alcoholic fatty liver disease, and sleep apnea) have all disappeared.

Jul 26, 21 11:34 am  · 
15  · 
Non Sequitur

Congrats on the progress, certainly praise worthy... but I can't help myself but notice that access door in the right pic... like come on, can't ya spec a flush door with a gyp recess so that it's less offensive? No, just me?

Jul 26, 21 11:40 am  · 
1  · 

I have nothing to do with the specs on that access panel. The bathrooms in the Rookery Building just happen to have good lighting.

Jul 26, 21 11:59 am  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

Now you can start working on turning that into alcoholic liver disease like the rest of us.

Jul 26, 21 11:59 am  · 
4  · 

Good job Josh!

Jul 26, 21 12:19 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Wow, great work, Josh!

Jul 26, 21 12:53 pm  · 
1  · 

Nice work!

Jul 26, 21 1:47 pm  · 
1  · 

Anon, I’m an extremely cheap drunk with the surgery. I’m tipsy after one drink at this point.

Jul 26, 21 2:17 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

Josh, if you really work at it, I bet you can get that tolerance up.

Jul 26, 21 2:51 pm  · 
4  · 
citizen

Friggin' awesome, Josh!  And as much as I like you, I won't be joining social media to follow your progress... so I guess that means we need occasional updates here on the 'Nect ;O]

Jul 26, 21 4:07 pm  · 
3  · 

Just found out one of my coworkers is leaving to be closer to family.  While I'm happy for my coworker I will really miss them.  

On a side note we're now looking for a new team member to join our firm. 

Jul 26, 21 12:20 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

You are in Grand Junction, right?

Jul 26, 21 1:11 pm  · 
 · 

Correct.

Jul 26, 21 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
proto

How’s the BC skiing there?

Jul 26, 21 9:49 pm  · 
 · 

It's great. Within 1.5-3 hours of GJ you've got some of the best in the state. The nice thing about this area is the outdoor spaces aren't crowded. It takes the Denver people 4.5-5 hours to get to GJ so they tend to stay away.

Jul 27, 21 10:12 am  · 
4  · 
SneakyPete

How's the racism? I am not being snarky. I am genuinely interested.

Jul 27, 21 1:32 pm  · 
1  · 

Fair question.  Here is a bit of a long response . . . 

First off, a bit of geography lesion. Grand junction is in what’s known as the Grand Valley. This consists of Palisade, Clifton, Grand Junction, Fruita, Fruitville, and Loma. Around the Grand Valley are numerous small towns. 

Being white it's hard for me to comment on racism beyond what I've seen as I've never experienced any personally. 

I've seen very little racism in the Grand Valley

What I have seen has been a couple of jackasses who fly a confederate battle flags on their trucks and one douche who had a swastika up on his yard. In the latter case the community stepped up and protested the guy’s house until he took it down.

Understand that about 50% of the community is conservative. There is a small minority of super conservative militia people who liked to ride around with their 'Don't Tread on me' flags when Trump was in power. In my experience, those people are rare any typically from the outlying areas around the Grand Valley. Normal people told those militia types to kindly fuck off.

Overall the people here tend to get along with each other and seem to view political differences as nothing big.  To be honest I've seen more racism in Denver and SLC than the Grand Valley.  It still exists here though, and the community seems to be fighting to get rid of it.  

Jul 28, 21 12:32 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

Sounds a lot like where I grew up. Thanks for the explanation. I'm putting the area on my list of places to visit with an eye towards whether it's relocatable.

Jul 28, 21 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

SP - it is also Colorado wine and fruit country. The Palisade peaches are particularly well known. For Colorado the climate is about as mild as you'll get, though I guess maybe it's a fiery desert hellscape in the summer sometimes, but where won't be in 20 years?

Jul 28, 21 2:08 pm  · 
2  · 

I like to say you can 'visit winter' here. Drive an hour and you'll be up on the Grand Mesa with 10 feet of snow. Come back and it will be 40 degrees.

Truth be told, all winters in Colorado are pretty mild.  Sure there can be a lot of snow but temps rarely get below 15 F.  

It does get hot here in the summers.  From June through August expect to hit 100 F.  That's when you drive 1-3 hours and get up above 10,000 feet for cooler weather.  

Oh, lets not forget about all the mountain biking, rafting, climbing, hiking, cross country, downhill, and backcountry skiing.   

Jul 28, 21 2:12 pm  · 
1  · 
mightyaa

Also from CO, but Denver side. Grand Junction isn't bad. Unlike a lot of bigger towns, it's not tourist driven town. Lots of stuff to do in that area. That said, it is not a City. A couple friends live up there, but it fits better since they are outdoorsy activity types and wanted a town large enough that could support professional careers. GJ is sort of a nice blend where its not small town, but not a real city feeling either. I know my friend up there also loves the proximity to Moab, UT and a lot of those national parks as well.

Jul 28, 21 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Grand Junction has a great airport, to me that's a big factor to consider.

Jul 28, 21 3:29 pm  · 
 · 

I'd agree with most of what mighty said. The Grand Valley is a great place to live if you like the outdoors. Grand junction is a city though. The thing to remember is that all of cites and towns in the Grand Valley function together as a larger community. Palisade, Clifton, Grand Junction, and Fruita all blend into each other.  It's also important to note that you can pretty much get anywhere in the Grand Valley in about 15 minutes. Except for Loma.

Don't misconstrued this to mean that the valley has high culture.  It's a small community.  The joke is that you don't move to the Grand Valley for the Grand Valley.  You move for what's within 3 hours of the Grand Valley - aka the world class outdoor stuff. 

Jul 28, 21 5:40 pm  · 
1  · 

JCL - we're looking at updating the airport.  It would be an entirely new facility.  I hope the project goes through and we get to work on it!  ::fingers crossed::

Jul 28, 21 5:50 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

Grand Junction "metro" area is the same population as the neighborhood I live in within Chicago. One of the reasons I'm considering it!

Jul 28, 21 6:06 pm  · 
 · 

Grand Junction Metro. Hehehehehehehe!

Our newest team member their partner moved here from downtown Chicago.  They love it here.  

Jul 28, 21 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Good luck getting the project, I assume it would mean more destinations as well.

Jul 29, 21 10:38 am  · 
 · 

I would suspect but have no idea.  Regardless if our firm gets the project I hope it will happen.  It would be great for the valley. 

Also I could travel more places.  :)

Jul 29, 21 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

What do you all think of the hideous hording around the Selfridges in Birmingham? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-... Also apparently the company is worth £4Bn. I like what future systems did at the Bullring but how well is it aging? 

Jul 26, 21 8:19 pm  · 
 · 

I like the temporary wrap. It's an interesting idea and concept.

Jul 27, 21 11:12 am  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

I'm more offended by how the media has decided to replace pedestrians with toolbags on e-scooters as the default human to include in street life photos.

Jul 27, 21 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Christo would be proud.

Jul 27, 21 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

In that case SneakyPete this might be interesting to you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FEO-XKo4cw

Jul 28, 21 5:59 pm  · 
 · 

That's hideous. And a huge missed opportunity.

Jul 28, 21 6:08 pm  · 
 · 

I was going to say opinions are like assholes, but then I realized that your comment could also apply to that axiom . :P

Jul 28, 21 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

Mine for saying the new hording is inferior to what Future Systems did with architecture for the bullring?

Jul 28, 21 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

@Miles Jaffe it is very much a missed opportunity and this project is somewhat personal as one of my first jobs was at Free Form Arts Trust who worked on the public art program for Hammerson. They got to do that off the back of hard work and making art work for the community, before this they did many hoardings for developers. Good people doing good work. There's a great film on the BFI https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-somewhere-in-hackney-1980-online

Jul 28, 21 7:28 pm  · 
 · 

nabrU - No. Miles comment: "That was hideous. And a huge missed opportunity" could also apply to an ass.

I do think the concept of a temporary wrap is an interesting idea.  I don't like the wrap you posted though - kind of ugly.    

Jul 28, 21 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

Chad, you said you like the temporary hoarding, I like the architecture and what Future Systems did.

Jul 28, 21 8:05 pm  · 
 · 

No. I said I liked the concept of the temporary wrap. I never said anything about the hoarding or the architecture.  

Jul 29, 21 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

Marble Arch Mound, was and is it a poisoned chalice offered to MVRDV set up to fail for someone to do something else?

https://www.theguardian.com/ar...

Jul 28, 21 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

My take without seeing it is its both the perfect foil and the perfect folly, we know Johnson likes to make grand gestures and there will need to be some civic projects to hopefully heal the trauma for lost loved ones and to understand the pandemic. But this is not it.

Jul 28, 21 7:02 pm  · 
 · 

their serpentine pavilion didnt work out either. This seems to be a variation on that project, and struggling perhaps for the same reasons. MVRDV is easy to dislike if not examined beyond the surface. Considering the nature of the project maybe it simply needs time, as the city and mvrdv both are saying. Seems like such a silly mistake though for such an experienced office. Nature cant be assembled like architectural hardware and expecting to to work that way is an oddly stupid mistake. The piece itself is interesting enough for a short-term project. A lot of the hate seems to be that people want it to be more, but I am inclined to think that simply means there is a need for another project somewhere, and this has nothing to do with that discussion...

Aug 1, 21 2:17 pm  · 
1  · 

Well thank goodness I didn’t hear about Bob Odenkirk collapsing on set yesterday until his son tweeted this evening that Bob is going to be OK. Because if I had known earlier  I would not have gotten a single bit of work done today. Bob Odenkirk is a global treasure. I mean I love Brad, but Bob is amazing.

Jul 28, 21 7:28 pm  · 
5  · 
archanonymous

Bob's personality with Brad's body?

Jul 28, 21 7:51 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

My CM today, on a phone call to discuss the steel fabricator's change order said, I'm trying to determine what is fair. My response? I'm not interested in what is "fair", I have a client to represent, and the fabricator is not interested in doing what is "fair". I. Am. A. Djick.

Jul 28, 21 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

let us know how it goes. things are messed up right now. at some point we'll be able to design nice normal open web steel joists again. it will help us all to know when things start turning the corner.

Aug 1, 21 11:37 am  · 
 · 
nabrU

Respectfully to all the architects here, please help everyone heal. The impact that considered built environment has has the ability to help. Do your very best, it is appreciated and vital. Much love.

Jul 28, 21 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

but what if I want to see the world burn? Does anybody care about my feelings?

Jul 29, 21 10:44 am  · 
 · 

nabrU - now we just need to convince our clients to pay for it . . .

Jul 29, 21 12:16 pm  · 
 · 

I'm really appreciating the discussion going on in my thread: Contractors won't look at specifications. Ironically, I have to focus some time on reviewing and coordinating some drawings and specifications for some projects and might not be able to contribute as much to it these next few days and weekend ... but don't let that stop you from joining in on the discussion.

Jul 29, 21 1:40 pm  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

so, is the wicked witch of the east dead?

Jul 30, 21 3:39 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

?

Jul 30, 21 5:28 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Naw...she's not melted, yet.

Jul 30, 21 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

She tweets therefore she is

Jul 31, 21 6:49 am  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

To whom is this referring?

Jul 31, 21 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

laxative

Aug 1, 21 6:39 pm  · 
 · 

A few weeks ago husband finished installation of a new pedestrian bridge in Fort Worth. Design is by Volkan Alkanoglu, fab by husband's company Ignition Arts. 

Here's a video of its installation. It's really beautiful, I'm looking forward to seeing it weather!

Fort Worth Public Art Project | Burning Bright by Shawn Smith (fwpublicart.org)

Jul 31, 21 4:15 pm  · 
21  · 
curtkram

that's cool. thanks for posting this

Aug 1, 21 11:33 am  · 
 · 

Would you want to post it as a thread?

Aug 1, 21 10:14 pm  · 
 · 

I meant a post your work thread exterior or maybe site design or wood?

Aug 1, 21 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Gorgeous Donna. Is his process primarily through hand work or is he using any digital tools / fabrication?

Aug 2, 21 8:10 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Nice.

Aug 4, 21 1:38 pm  · 
 · 

Bench, his team uses Rhino and this wood was CNC cut, including “back cutting “ which I think means doubly curved? But the steel frame was hand built and the wood was attached by hand.

Aug 5, 21 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I saw this pop up on one of my other design feeds (maybe Dezeen?).

Aug 18, 21 3:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: