Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

larslarson

does suck you have to go to newark...i had the pleasure of riding
my bike into work in this lovely weather.

Nov 19, 07 11:24 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

newark's not that bad, try camden or the oranges....

Nov 19, 07 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

as an aside...is there anyone out there that doesn't get the day after thanksgiving or christmas eve off? just wondering how typical this is...what's the minimum number of holidays one can get off...at the moment it looks as though we're getting 6.

Nov 19, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

may as well apply, steven! also, you never know how much money / what kind of work / what kind of role they will offer--it might make your decision FOR you (either for or against). May as well interview!

...if anything it has the potential to:
1. make you feel like a rockstar (interviewing reminds you of what a great designer and employee you are)
2. remind you of what you love about your job
3. remind you of what you love about louisville
4. expose you to another firm's MO and design projects
5. make you some interesting further contacts
6. you get to have some good conversation with new people in the architecture world!

Nov 19, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

we dont' appear to get christmas eve off but i am asking about that one today, since i need to schedule my flight.

Nov 19, 07 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Steven you should definitely go for it. Like myriam said, it can't hurt. Also, think of all the people that would be willing to come visit you! You would get to design a guest house for all of us on your property.

Ah Monday. I saw this thing over the weekend....I think we've talked about it before but this is the first time I've really stopped to get a good look:

It makes me happy. I'm going to go blog about it!

Nov 19, 07 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

That gas station is pretty trippy... Not really my cup of tea design-wise, but at least it's something unique.

I'm back from New Jersey, where we spent most of the afternoon poking around in an electrical substation somewhere underneath the Pulaski Skyway, while being pelted with cold rain and being barked at by guard dogs from a neighboring industrial property. It was as fun as it sounds.

Thank God it's a short work week...

Nov 19, 07 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Any ideas on what can count as office management for IDP?

Nov 19, 07 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
e

vcool wk.

do it sw.

Nov 19, 07 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

e, where's that beer thread? i cannot for the life of me remember the name.. i've got another i want to throw your way.

Nov 19, 07 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

john, are you officially taking on your real identity? that's big step.

Nov 19, 07 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
e

here you go:
http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=36922_0_42_0_C

what was john known as before?

Nov 19, 07 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

John just had a baby, e, if that helps.

Of course there are lots of parents and parents-to-be around here these days!

Nov 19, 07 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Hi All! Am busy , busy busy this week. Gotta run.

SW - Ditto what everyone else says.

Nov 19, 07 6:50 pm  · 
 · 

so, part b of this morning's question: i haven't had to have a portfolio in 5 yrs and that was for grad school. before that i hadn't had one since 1994. is this job worth the time, effort, and $$$ for doing one now given all the other considerations?

Nov 19, 07 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

don't forget about this hot new thread:

http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=67586_0_42_0_C

started by lay bossman

Nov 19, 07 7:24 pm  · 
 · 

Steven, like you I had that problem. Added that recently I had to put together a portfolio of urban works which I hadn't done with the exception of a school complex within the last 6 years...its tough. You almost have to re-learn and remember all the advice you've given to others about the topic. But to be honest I did scroll through archinect like a good xx-teur for previous discussions on the topic.

btw I'm going to be posting a serious WWTCD soon...gonna need your advice once again.

peace and love.

Nov 19, 07 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Steven - if you're gonna be in the neighborhood, might as well get an interview. Just saw what $300k will buy in Louisville - nice three level loftstyle architectural house. You'd be lucky to find a one room shack for $300k in Honolulu...

John - congrats and you really deserve a beer!

wK- Beyond being the posterchild for greenwashing aka the LEED gas station reminds me of the very first sophomore year architecture project I created back in 1991 - all that triangulation/tesselation is so very _____?

LIG - just remember you could be visiting a substation in Gary Indiana... Newark ain't that bad.

Nov 19, 07 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
e

hmm, i'm still at a lose lb. i just haven't been around much lately. my bad. anyway, congrats on the lil one john. what a proud moment in your life.

Nov 19, 07 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Steven, I did a portfolio recently and it's a good exercise to go through. Makes you step back and look at what common themes run through your work, what you're still proud of, etc.

Do a simple one - at this point in your career your work is so strong that it only needs to be straightforward quality images in a simple binder. Or in an emailable package of some sort, as required.

God I miss John Stewart!

Nov 19, 07 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Yeah I second lb on this one. Just bring together some strong photos of your recent work, some process sketches and some cool details / construction shots you were responsible for, bring a set of one of the projects you designed, and your grad portfolio while you're at it. i'm sure you have way more to show than anyone even has time to look at in an interview.

Nov 20, 07 1:01 am  · 
 · 

[rant of the week]

it's OK to be controversial! It's ok to say that you don't feel something is a strong piece of work! Tell people in pinup to go back to the drawing board! Tell the person posting their portfolio that you don't feel their work is grad level! DO NOT tell them that they're approaching the "it's-so-bad-it's-good" point and they could make it bad in a really refined way. DO NOT congratulate them on being so much more prepared for undergrad than you were.... when they are clearly talking about grad school! If you would've said straight out that you don't think it's any good, that just makes you opinionated. But when you say it in a snide way like that, then you've crossed a line.

[/rant]

Nov 20, 07 1:41 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

tk, I think you'd get a kick out of the analogy I made about the gas station [url=
here]http://wondersphere.blogspot.com/2007/11/architectural-paradox.html]here[/url][/url]

here's your sign.....almost anything that's not architectural can count as office management on IDP. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Nov 20, 07 3:02 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

CRAP! I hate when that happens. Sorry gang.

Ignore the above link and go here instead

Nov 20, 07 3:02 am  · 
 · 

tk - who has $300k?! pay in louisville is on par with house prices; i would expect that's true in HI as well?

i'm waffling. i may just be too comfortable here. and finally doing some very fun work.

...and how would i teach at ky governor's school if i'm in HI? i certainly couldn't afford to fly back...

Nov 20, 07 7:02 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Steven fills out the top tier!!!!!

Good morning Steven. Speaking of GSA, can you take the GSA Owensboro Artshop Dec. 1? Turns out Angus' holiday concert is that day, so I'm backing out.

Nov 20, 07 7:11 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

BTW that project looks awesome! I'm so glad your job is fun for you!

Nov 20, 07 7:11 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

DubK, the Helios entry is fantastic. Your comments are so funny!

Nov 20, 07 7:15 am  · 
 · 
Nov 20, 07 7:17 am  · 
 · 

thanks, lb. that project is getting there but very fun. i just got rid of those goofy little square punched clerestory openings yesterday. lots of things to still work out.

the guy doing most of the heavy lifting in revit is working on renderings for the fund-raising materials now so i'll have those soon!

--

i may be already committed 1 dec. we're supposed to go to nashville for a friend's daughter's something-something. (i'm usually planned much farther in advance than i realize. i had to look at the house calendar.)

BUT, i'll ask permission. maybe if the girls are in nashville, it's a good time for me to do something else.

Nov 20, 07 7:21 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

speaking of reviews, if anyone ever needs a critic for final reviews, i may possibly be coaxed to fly to a final review[s]...if anyone wants me to...

Nov 20, 07 7:31 am  · 
 · 
John Cline

I'm running with it for now, jafidler.

Nov 20, 07 9:19 am  · 
 · 
n_

Steven, wave to me if you are in Nashville.

Nov 20, 07 9:35 am  · 
 · 

ack...I'm in the middle of an urban design charette for the end of year exhibition going on. I'm here taking a 5 minute breather (craving for a fag/beer) whilst google earth tries to load the 3d version of Montserrat. Its fun but we are finding there are logistics that we can't seem to get around at the moment like printing high quality A0 sheets without going 300 miles away to do it. Wonder K, I'm sure like me you'd think that is a complete waste of carbon footprint.

Nov 20, 07 9:57 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I finally have a new workstation!

Nov 20, 07 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

YAY GIN!!!!! Congrats. I hope it's nowhere near the copier/printer.

Nov 20, 07 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

The copier and printer are close enough to be convenient, but not so close to be a distraction.

Nov 20, 07 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Wow, its so strange to see your name on the net when you didn't post it. Almost induces panic, but then I realised that 'Sarah' is a common name, and I am not the only one in the world allowed to have it. Strange just the same. Must've been similar to what Tumbles felt when that guy showed up with her name.

Where is she by the way?

Nov 20, 07 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

lb, thanks :o)

Sarah, what are you talking about? Wha happened?

Nov 20, 07 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Oh, WK, someone else on the 'Nect has 'Sarah' as her screen name. It threw me off completely, for about a minute. I guess I was just typing out-loud.

Nov 20, 07 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm having lunch and a construction tour next week with someone who contacted me through seeing my name on a reviewer's list for a jury we will both be on in a couple weeks.

We emailed back and forth to make our plans, and his last email said "See ya, Liberty Bell"

So funny. It makes me laugh to think of trying to separate my profesisonal self and liberty bell; I can be pretty indiscreet here (can anyone say "Let's see Brad Pitt in a hardhat?")!

Nov 20, 07 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
aml

lb, are his initials w.m.? he contacted me recently because he saw my name looking for yours... found us both on the grosse pointe thing, and turns out he knows someone from my country [it's a small country].

anyways... hello tc!

Nov 20, 07 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Hi aml, it seems like you haven't been around much lately, nice to see you!

WM is the professor for whom we are both critting. Indy is a tiny city in a sparse state, and I'm quickly getting to know all the cool archi-heads around here!

Nov 20, 07 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

What I just relaized, though, is that every cool person I've met here (with the exception of vado) can be traced back to Steven, who I met solely via Archinect. Thank you Steven! Don't move to Hawaii!!! And thank you Archinect!

Nov 20, 07 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
aml

no, i haven't, but i've peeked in every once in a while... enough to know vado is in the uk visiting his [how does it go?] former girlfriend, future wife? or is it current girlfriend, future wife? hmmm somehow he gives the phrase a unique turn.

ok well that professor was also looking at your grosse pointe entry on archinect. i wonder if he'll introduce you at the review as 'famous liberty bell, from archinect!' let us know : )

Nov 20, 07 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I get to be on a final jury this semester. I'll give 'em hell.

some random "office management" tasks:
filling the paper in the copier
ordering supplies
participating in a 401k info meeting
archiving data
cleaning house
changing the plotter paper
attending office meetings

Nov 20, 07 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I believe it's ex girlfriend/future wife.

He is missed. Come back to Amurika.

Nov 20, 07 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

quick question - is there a way to see the most viewed threads? i thought i remembered seeing this several months ago...

Nov 21, 07 2:16 am  · 
 · 

as i noted with the first question, thinking about HI was really just a musing for morning. i'm not ready to do it right now, especially because i want to be around for the construction of a couple of ongoing projects here - both at home and at the office. i did take it seriously enough to talk to my wife about it; she also encouraged me. but, in rereading the eight inc posting, i'd have to decide that i'm ready to learn a new software platform, etc, and i'm just not in that place right now. result: cop-out.

tumbleweed - i actually applied for a teaching gig at HI manoa a few years ago when they had a position posted and i was feeling less moored. didn't even get a polite 'no'...

thanks for nice words, lb, but i think you've met some of our friends here before i did. wonderk, for instance. and where has superbeatledud been lately? i know superheavy's been in china.

speaking of archinect friends: when vado hits 10,000 comments, don't you think everybody should fly in to see us here in the midwest and give him a party?

Nov 21, 07 7:37 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

well, i suppose you can all imagine how weird it was for me to present to the grosse pointe library board of directors and have several people old enough to be my grandparents refer to me as "puddles"

...and strictly speaking i've never really thought of puddles as synonomous with myself anyhow...more of a semi-autobiographical character...at times puddles is a living daydream

Nov 21, 07 8:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: