Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

myriam

I would say, shoes that are awesomely hot but are so uncomfortable you can only wear them for 10 seconds at a time.

Nov 14, 07 6:34 pm  · 
 · 

those must be some hott (extra "t" for the extra hotness) shoes.

there are two parts to the shed. the smaller of the two interior areas is used for the storage of the sports equipment that the kids use in the after-school program - we fabricated a baseball bat door handle for this space. the large interior area is used for the storage of the gardening and yard work supplies owned by the community center and has a hand rake thingy as the door handle. the lockers making up one of the walls are used for individuals that use the community garden to store their own tools/supplies in.

Nov 14, 07 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Awesome. Simple, cheap, useful, and cool! I love the door handles, nice touch.

Nov 14, 07 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Best shoe description I've ever heard, from Tom Robbins Skinny Legs and All: "I call these my follow-me-home-and-fuck-me shoes."

I do not own such a pair myself.

I've been in two long meetings today. At one I was by far the weirdest one in the room (BIM seminar), at the other I was by far the most conservative one in the room (art jury).

I'm exhausted by these extremes.

Thanks for that pic of Brad, DubK. IMO there can never be too many pics of him on Archinect. And yes I feel my IQ plummet every time I see one.

Nov 14, 07 8:24 pm  · 
 · 

lb:
all my shoes fit into that category.
unfortunately none of them work.

Nov 14, 07 8:34 pm  · 
 · 

Pixel- what/where are you contemplating for the MFA? You can always come keep me company at UDub. ; )

Nov 14, 07 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

so i was at border;s tonight getting a book to read on the flight over to england. and god did i hear the most god awful dreckoliciious music. at first it was just bad, it was like kenny g saxophone playing moon river, but wait that's not all, after what seemed like ten minutes of this saxophone in chimes barry manilow singin. take that my huckleberry friend.

Nov 14, 07 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
phuc.ewe

wut tha phuc iz this plays? Kewl architekture click.

Nov 14, 07 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

So I got asked/nominated to be the graduate student representative from USC to the AIA LA Board of Directors for 2008. It didn't really occur to me how big of a deal this was until just now.....I got an email with my name in it, just a couple of clicks down from Dean Ma and Eric Owen Moss. What fun! I suppose I should stop ogling the tofu-tastic gentlemen around campus and get my game face on.....any suggestions on what to wear to the installation on December 6 would be greatly appreciated. And no, I don't think my CFM shoes are an appropriate choice (although they are hot).

Nov 15, 07 12:07 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

wow dubk, that sounds like good deal! congrats.

If you've been following my drama: I quit my job last week, and was begged to reconsider by the boss and was offered a niiiice raise to stay. Said raise was seriously reduced today as all of my co-workers suddenly decided they too should get huge raises and threatened to quit if they didn't get it. So there isn't enough cash to give all of us big raises. All this even though my boss told me he thought I was underpaid for the value I bring and was long overdue for a large raise. And so we are back to plan A which is probably better for me in the long run. Just here to confirm that the only way to move up in this profession is to take your damn skills and just move the fuck on. What flakes. Sorry for the rant, I'm pretty upset.

Nov 15, 07 12:29 am  · 
 · 
myriam

Fuck that, just leave. Sounds like way too much drama.

Nov 15, 07 12:38 am  · 
 · 
myriam

Anyway if they offered you a raise and you accepted it they can't just fucking CHANGE things after that and TAKE IT BACK! How awful.

Nov 15, 07 12:38 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

m, I negotiated the raise with my principal, but corporate makes the rules and they nixed it.

Funny addition to the story: a candidate for my replacement wanted almost TWICE my salary, and apparently he sucked too. (they didn't offer him the job)

Nov 15, 07 12:46 am  · 
 · 
myriam

ugh. the mere fact that everything has to be ok'ed through "corporate" (who, presumably, don't really know who you are / what kind of work you do?) would make me want to leave.

there have to be greener pastures somewhere else?!

Nov 15, 07 12:56 am  · 
 · 
psycho-mullet

Wow. That is fucked. Leave! Seriously just pick up your shit and walk out. There's something like 30,000 architecture firms in the US. You don't need them. Don't let it get you down, it's not worth being depressed over.

Where do you live Strawbeary (if you don't mind revealing)? Some of us may have some leads for you if you don't already.

Nov 15, 07 4:01 am  · 
 · 

i thought you already gave notice, straw? i must've missed something.

Nov 15, 07 7:33 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

corporate giveth, corporate taketh away. thats america.

Nov 15, 07 7:39 am  · 
 · 

that is REALLY fucked up... i would just walk out for good... no two weeks, no nothing... just a fuck you as you walk out the door...

Nov 15, 07 8:11 am  · 
 · 
****melt

That totally sucks Strawbeary and is wrong on so many levels. I agree with the rest, take your crap and get the hell out. It's not worth it and you can find something better elsewhere.

Congrats DubK on the nomination. That's quite exciting.

Atechno- you around. How did dinner go last night?

Nov 15, 07 8:20 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

steven, you missed the part where I was begged to reconsider and offered a sweet deal.
psycho - I'm in denver. I already have a couple of job leads and jobs around here appear to be abundant. I've just got to go thru the process of getting one. Thanks 'nectors.

Nov 15, 07 9:14 am  · 
 · 
n_

Vado, how long will be in Grate Britan?

Strawbeary, walk out. Right now. They should have confirmed the raise before ever revealing you the possible number. That's bad practice and incredibly disrepectful to you. I'm sorry to hear about that.

Nov 15, 07 9:41 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

leaving tonite coming back the 25th.

Nov 15, 07 10:22 am  · 
 · 
n_

You will be missed.

Nov 15, 07 10:41 am  · 
 · 

hey Strawbeary sorry about the news from corporate. I think you should give them 6 weeks to get their act together after which you reassess the situation.

On a similar note a friend in the field (she's a QS) has decided to take an unpaid hiatus for a year, to work somewhere else. I felt like I should of done the same when we worked together but I was too stressed to see clearly enough to just walk away just for a bit

Nov 15, 07 10:44 am  · 
 · 

vado will you write whilst you are away?? n__ is right - you'll be missed!! Tuna, dinner went well - we just had pizza and beers, then crashed out on the couch watching SVU. We'll attempt a more culinary meal later I am sure. phuc.ewe <- very nice name

Nov 15, 07 10:51 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i'll prolly check in. so write something interesting people!

Nov 15, 07 11:16 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Strawbeary, thanks. And I'm sorry the situation blew up in your face. It sounds like its indicative of the whole practice and the problems they are having. Best to cut your losses and get out while you still can.

Also, when you are looking for a new position, please be very careful.....jobs seem to be abundant right now but I would suggest going with a company that has a diverse body of work, because all indications are that there won't be very many jobs in a few months. In fact, many of my friends who are graduating in the Spring are trying to look for jobs now because they fear there won't be any by the time they get out. So, keep that in mind!

Nov 15, 07 11:40 am  · 
 · 
emaze

photo for lb:

Nov 15, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

bon voyage vado- have fun in ol' blighty and bring back the lady!

wk- congrats on the nomination, just remember that EOM is an overbearing arshat - don't take it personally (abra can fill you in on what to expect). remember that this isn't hollywood and that E! doesn't care what you wear - be professional (and glamorous too if you want)

beary- get out of dodge and try for some international projects since that gravy train doesn't show any signs of crashing soon.

Nov 15, 07 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

DubK - Are you implying there may be a ... recession looming on the horizon? GASP!!!! ;-)

Nov 15, 07 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

Strawbeary if you keep that job I'm gonna drive down there for an 'intervention'

Nov 15, 07 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra
Nov 15, 07 1:33 pm  · 
 · 

16000, wow...

Nov 15, 07 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
psycho-mullet

Where / what is that picture of Brand at Eizenbergs review from?

Nov 15, 07 2:20 pm  · 
 · 

wow that's alot. Someone should do a chart so we can see what each archinecteurs/or/ers contribution has been by percentage. It would be (IMO) an interesting statistic.

Nov 15, 07 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Isn't that pic of Brad from this month's Architect magazine?

Nov 15, 07 3:22 pm  · 
 · 

hey check out the new facebook link in the bottom right of the discussion threads! it wasn't there earlier today.

Now why would I want to post to facebook? Guess that since I have to ask, I don't need to know...

nice to have 400+ posts under this nome d'plume

Nov 15, 07 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

[note to self: before posting come here and see if a similar question has been asked]

Nov 15, 07 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

wow, i am 3000 plus? who knew...

Nov 15, 07 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I love the Facebook link! Alexander must have done that just before I stopped by to visit him this afternoon :o)

Nov 15, 07 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
dia

I want to change my screen name - how does one do that?

Nov 15, 07 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

beta- I whizzed by 3k posts and didn't even notice for a few days. so gotta celebrate the little accomplishments instead. Guess this means I'm spending too much time posting or I don't have enough to do at work right now.

dia- I like 'diabase' but if it really bugs you... up at the top of the page is an 'edit profile' link, click it. then change your user name, you just can't ever return to the same name - like that time travel story or quantum leap where everything is slightly different each time you try to return;-)

Nov 15, 07 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

this morning i awoke at 3 am to watch this movie:

and tomorrow morning:

ah the pleasures of the library....and french cinema...saturday morning:

Nov 15, 07 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

obviously, german is the last, but i am getting into foreign filmages...

Nov 15, 07 11:09 pm  · 
 · 

@ Beta v.4
I just watched Breathless for the first time earlier this year...
i was entranced.
A French gangster-playboy...Who'd of thought...

Nov 15, 07 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

i...m ....a ....live.....what......we .....do ....... in .......the.......name ......of .......architecture.......

Nov 15, 07 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

snooker I just rubbed the Buddha's tummy for you again. Hope things are going as you like....

Nov 16, 07 7:43 am  · 
 · 

long night | not much sleep | but I feel refreshed, had crab cakes for brekki. I have been uber efficient all morning and its weird because I've not had a drop of coffee.

Nov 16, 07 10:38 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

hello. i'm still alive. for at least one more day, i will attempt to outlive thread central.

Nov 16, 07 10:46 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Psst.... Today is apparently Cameron's birthday.

Nov 16, 07 10:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: