anchor

Thread Central

abracadabra

"puddles living architecture"
..............its a life.............

Apr 14, 06 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

welcome back, how was your weekend, sporadic?

Apr 15, 06 9:51 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Thanks LB

oh it was brilliant !! ... concert was too good. later at night some of my friends wanted to go clubing.. ( not my scene ... and there are too many of them in dubai) so I went with them and just drank red bull!! ( didnt want a hangover for the next day )

next day ( yesterday) we were off to the desert ... too much fun and the weather was just right. though I did have a minor accident on the quad bike i had a Great time. ( still have sand in my ears !! )

oh well, came back home late at night and my neighbour was busy ( she's a hooker from georgia*... long story .. will explain later ..) so couldnt sleep till she was finished with her "client"

and then.. I just woke up a couple of hours back and I have the "sunday blues" already..

oh well next week is the Robbie Williams concert .:) other than that nothing planned for the weekend.. but things will unfold. in this part of the world, people take their weekends seriously..

* Dubai is the bangkok of the middle east... and they are the serious big earners

so what plans for the weekend for you ?

Apr 15, 06 10:28 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Glad you had fun. Dubai just sounds bizarre, like the old west but cleaner.

Weekend plans in the spirit of Thread Central:

Coloring Easter eggs with my son, as noted at Easter Turducken?

Drinking bourbon cooled by hailstones as noted at derby time

Listening to music in preparation for making a mix CD as noted at CD Swap!.

Otherwise just cleaning up from the storm that produced my bourbon cooling ice and made my just-sprouted hosta plants look like the shredded lettuce you get with Mexican food. Speaking of which maybe the boy and I will head into the village and eat at La Piedad.

Apr 15, 06 11:10 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

post the pictures of the easter eggs that you'll be colouring with your son ..
sorry about your plants .. which reminds me, i gotta go get some groceries and then dinner with my Fiance's folks ..

see you after 12 hrs ... or so

Apr 15, 06 11:18 am  · 
 · 
AP

Dubai sounds like a riot.

Apr 15, 06 12:35 pm  · 
 · 

does this building have double slabs between the floors or its just me?

it says this under the pic in the gallery section;
"Residential tower bluarch::: architecture + interiors designed last year for a Dutch developer on a waterfront property. The project remained unbuilt due to changes in the local real estate market."

Apr 15, 06 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
AP

yep, that's what I see too...
'
in other news, go check out this: not your typical grad school thread...asked from the point of view of the parents...

Apr 15, 06 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
http://www.bluarch.com/

i went to their web site and seems like they did that for a crawford house too.
that house looks like a hadid proposal a little.

Apr 15, 06 2:48 pm  · 
 · 

have you guys noticed all the top guns of archinect posting 'news' today, ie; arbona, jourden, white.
also starring bryan boyer as the x acto man in pimp my model.

Apr 15, 06 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

strangely quite in here today .. must be easter ..

went with some friends for the sunrise service.. to the beach at 4:30 AM !!!! oh well atleast had a good breakfast !! and I'm a lil' tipsy after an overdose of (very strong) rum balls in the office.

I'm falling all over my key board here !!

happy (hic !) easter everyone !!

Apr 16, 06 7:13 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Happy Easter everyone!

Apr 16, 06 8:54 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

aww man ... I can't see the image ..(flicker is banned in the UAE ..so cant see any images linked through it !!)

hope it's not your easter eggs LB ...

happy easter !!

Apr 16, 06 9:10 am  · 
 · 
AP

Happy Easter to all.

lb, that's one cute and happy kid.

Apr 16, 06 9:10 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

thanks AP ... for rubbing it in .. lol ..

Apr 16, 06 9:16 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

btw .. AP .. since you seem to be impressed by Dubai ... you should probably take a trip over ...

the new advertising line for dubai ..

"Dubai ... the only place on earth where you can go dune bashing ( desert safari kinda things) in the morning, hit the ski slopes in the afternoon and visit the beach in the evening !!"

.... and if it is your thing .."go pelvis bumping with a young lass, at night"... lol ..

Apr 16, 06 9:21 am  · 
 · 
AP

nice...
i would have to save the "pelvis bumping" for my young lass...
not a hired hand, so to speak...but thanks anyway... ;) interesting situation you have, pro-as-neighbor...same kinda thing happened to a friend of mine who received his undergrad (lib-arts) from an American uni in Rome (John Cabot U)...spent 2 years next door to her, became familiar with the regulars...

back to Dubai, it does sound like a very stimulating place to be. If i did it, it would be to work, 6 months or more ...

how long have you been there / do you plan on being there? and, while I'm asking, how much experience did you have when you went? I've considered Dubai, Shenzhen and Beijing as places I would consider going to work for +/- a year before grad school...but I wouldn't be bringing tons of arch-firm experience...

anyway, sorry you can't see the pic, take consolation in the fact that we can't "go dune bashing...in the morning, hit the ski slopes in the afternoon and visit the beach in the evening !!"

Apr 16, 06 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

here is an autocad idea i figured out. probably it has been done before.

Apr 16, 06 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

u got the makins of a nice cycladic idol there abra...

Apr 16, 06 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

those greeks who made idols were on psychedelic morning glories. imho.
i am just a weekend sucker for med cab. stuff making me see a cork screw in the cycladic idol above.

sorry about your dented vehicle vado, i meant to tell you that yesterday but i got carried away trying to invent an acad short cut for a pomo detail consumers might start to demand pretty soon, since the way things are getting pmo again, i/we gots to gear up and be ready. any visions on that?

Apr 16, 06 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

lol AP ..

yeah .. I'm pretty friendly with my neighbor and her friends. She always apologizes for the noise whenever she meets me. Quite a nice girl actually. She was a nurse back in Georgia.

but yeah ... there are plenty of them walking around Dubai.. and is almost a part of the nocturnal landscape out here. By law they're banned.. but the authorities just turn a blind eye, coz they need them for tourism... all the sex starved Saudi guys come running to Dubai (and Bahrain) during the weekends for a night of sin and debauchery !!

I've been here a while coz my family is based here ... when I was looking for a job, I had around 2 years of experience.. and now I've been here for 1.5 years. but for me Dubai was always a stop gap for me. I have no intention of staying here long term. So I've applied for my masters in AA and UCL.. if I get through .. then I'm outta here.

You could always come here to work for a year or so. there are plenty of western expatriates here who does the same.. work for a year and then get out of here. It's a good cultural experience and it is by far the most lenient Arab nation there is.

you could maybe approach and international design firm see if they have any placement in Dubai. there are plenty here.. to name a few .. SOM, HOK, Atkins, RMJM, Norr, Parsons, Gensler.. etc .. etc ..

anyway, I wouldn’t recommend more than 2 years if you are serious about architecture, coz Dubai has a knack to numb your intelligence..

but I'll tell you one thing.. it can be a lot of fun here in Dubai.

so come over .. and then you could "go dune bashing...in the morning, hit the ski slopes in the afternoon and visit the beach in the evening !!" and of course , "skip the pelvis bumping" ;)

Apr 17, 06 2:01 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

btw .. AP ..

check this out ..

http://archinect.com/news/dropbox_fullentry.php?id=37371_0_28_0_C

Apr 17, 06 10:03 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

ok .. everyones been fuming about the taxes on the other side of the atlantic..

LB's let of some steam here
Taxes / Easter Sunday
and here
I'm super ANGRY! About some EGGS!

well I've never paid taxes .. ( no taxation over here) So it'll probably hit me hard when I eventually have to ..

oh well ... I'm off now .. see ya guys tommorow

Apr 17, 06 10:17 am  · 
 · 
AP

ss, there was no link to the article, only your comment...

Apr 17, 06 10:48 am  · 
 · 
AP

oh, and I was unknowingly overtaxed at my first job, so my return will be delightfully higher than expected... yay for ignorance!

Apr 17, 06 10:51 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I love this thread:

RANDOM SCHOOL CHOICE GENERATOR

Major kudos to bigness for starting it, and for keeping it going even after he mentioned that he has work to do. It really does seem random though.

I'm going to go quit my job and study cereal science now.....

Apr 17, 06 10:55 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

wow slow goins on today.... people depressed about taxes?

and happy marathon monday to boston people...

Apr 17, 06 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
Elimelech

Seeing as how I must now go for my degree in friendship from the people's friendship universtity of russia, and bigness does not allow fraternization on his thread, I thought I would try practicing beign friendly with the rest of you people.....

....So, How you doing?

Apr 17, 06 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Happy Easter Everybody.

I am off to China tonight - the Pearl River Delta, and Foshan specifically. I'll be back in a few weeks. Not sure if I can get Archinect from China - might be too controversial...

Anyway, be good.

Apr 17, 06 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
e

i wish my sunday had been happy for me and my dog lula. i spent the day in the emergency room with her. she been taking meds for a condition called onychodystrophy for a year. last year we found out about her condition when all of her nails started sloughing off. this was very painful for her. the meds have helped, but after a year her nails are only 70% of normal.

sunday morning she was outside being her happy self, enjoying the nice weather, and running around the yard. we then realized one of her nails was turned 90 degrees up from normal, and she was bleeding a lot. we took her to the emergency room. the vet put her under, clipped her nail at the base, and put a bandage on her paw. this was sad because i realized that she can no longer run around like that anymore because her nails are just too brittle to withstand it. her pal and best friend bill is going to be pretty sad and disappointed too when he finds out.

the vet also ran some blood tests while they had her. the tests were troubling in that they indicated some serious liver problems. i will have the tests redone tomorrow to see if they were accurate. i hope that there was a lab error.

:+(

Apr 17, 06 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
AP

diabase, if you haven't left yet, archinect works on the PRC side of the Great Firewall...somehow, miraculously...probably an oversight on their part...

Apr 17, 06 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
AP

e, sorry to hear that. best wishes for lula and her health...

Apr 17, 06 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
aml

e, i think i remember the story of how you got lula... was it in mexico? is there a way she can run around using some sort of shoe/mitten to protect her paws? i love that picture. hope she gets better.

Apr 17, 06 8:36 pm  · 
 · 

Get well Lula!

Apr 17, 06 8:38 pm  · 
 · 

whattt...?
lula? awwww. get well lula get well. hang in there e.
my best wishes for lula and her family. i am praying to allah that she'll be better. :(.

Apr 17, 06 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm so sorry to hear about Lula. It is so stressful to see your family member in pain. We have spent thousands upon thousands on Gus' health and I don't regret a penny. (An emergency surgery for him actually made me call my student loan company and tell them I needed a few months off from making payments due to a "medical emergency" that I needed to pay off first - didn't tell them it was surgery for my dog!)

aml's suggestion seems pretty good, e - some booties, like this:

We had these for Gus when we lived in the city and he had to walk over ice and (worse) the ice melter chemicals people put on the sidewalk. He was never happy about them at first but once he got busy on his walk he forgot they were on at all.

Best wishes for better test results tomorrow. I hope she is home with you now relaxing on her blanket and staying off her poor paw!

Apr 17, 06 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

diabase we will miss you. Have a great, great time.

Apr 17, 06 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Aw! Poor Lula. Those puppy mittens are about the sweetest thing I've ever seen....

diabase, have fun! We'll expect a full report when you're back.

Apr 17, 06 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Hang in there e and best wishes for your Lula.

Apr 18, 06 12:05 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

sorry AP ..

try this ..

http://archinect.com/news/article.php?id=37371_0_24_15_M

Apr 18, 06 3:48 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

e, ..

what does the second tests say ?

Apr 18, 06 3:49 am  · 
 · 
job job

hi Abra,

couldn't read everything after a brief hiatus - this site must double in size every week

given equal consideration by your client, would you spend more on the floor (I did see that image) or spread it evenly through the house. I do a few jobs on the DL and always have a 'special' detail/feature/system that ABSOLUTELY must get done the way I want.

Apr 18, 06 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
e

thank you all for your warm thoughts. you guys are the best. ms. lu is doing well. man, she hates the cone though. who wouldn't.

the test results for her liver will take some time since they have to be sent out to a lab. the first tests were done at the emergency room, and while they have good quality control standards, they are not as accurate as sending them out.

aml, thanks for the booty suggestion. we are very familar with them. unfortunately, the girl's ankles are the same width as her paws and there is nothing down there to keep em on. they just slide right off as if she knows they are not meant for dogs.

you are correct about lula's history. ms. lu is was rescued from the streets in mexico as a young girl. she was about 12 weeks old. some friends were vacationing down there. found her on the side of the road malnourished with several scars. they took her to the vet to have her cleaned up, and tried to get ppl to adopt her while on their vacation. no one wanted a mutt though. they went back to the vet, and he gave her shots and paper work to get her across the boarder. they took her home to san francisco and sent us images in a email. we decided to take her, and they put her on an air cargo plane to seattle.

as all dog owners will say, she is the best and smartest dog out there.

Apr 18, 06 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

all the best for lulu she is a survivor for sure.

snowi, i am sorry, i didn't understand what you are saying. i do too have absoletly can not be discarded details as well. they make the bones of the project. if by any chance client refuses them, it becomes something else and i am usually out of the picture by then. willingly. it happened before. every once in a while some client on the recommendation of of a relative or a business associate, will demand that an important element in the project eliminated after the initial approvals and further work. at that time i will look at it objectively and if in fact its an improvement i'll say okay. but sometimes those requests are plain vicious, fabricated by the closet case designers and if i can't convince the client otherwise or meet them somewhere reasonable, i will call them and say this is not what i do and at this point i am not the right person to do this job anymore because i can't recognize what i have put into it. in most cases they'll listen and thank me later at the end for fighting for it. even better is to see the person/s who had a brief but useless influance on the client, looking at you cross the room and ignoring you while everybody else recognising your work as the architect.

if a certain client does not respect or support your professional and creative presence on the project and if you value those things, run away, because it will cost you more than what you are getting paid for.

Apr 18, 06 2:00 pm  · 
 · 

Easter = zombie Jesus... makes me want to go to church.

Apr 18, 06 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

this amanning person is dangerous, in the "who loves their job" he talks about slacking off while working for the planning department...then in "i looove L.A." he talks about how he loves to run red lights...

Apr 18, 06 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

It just took me an hour to catch up on archinect, you guys have been busy. If I can just waste another 1/2 hour, I can go home. I've been dimensioning floor plans since yesterday morning, and something inside just gave out and I couldn't do it anymore!

Apr 18, 06 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ha ha ha zombie Jesus.

Apr 18, 06 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

"Brains. Brains!"

Apr 18, 06 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Apr 18, 06 10:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: