Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

wow, you guys have been busy in here. lb and ss chatting across time zones in the middle of the night, a wonderwall dust-up, and planning commission commiseration.

abra, i've learned never to let the client go alone to those things. i always want to be there. owners (even if they're developers) tend to be cowed by the apparent authority of these panels with whom they're not familiar. an architect who knows what he's talking about can at least make sure that the review is a dialogue instead of review by decree. even if you don't get your way you can usually come to a middle ground with which you can be satisfied, i.e., no one's drawing your new roofline for you.

Apr 13, 06 7:49 am  · 
 · 

thats it steven. indeed i've now learned that lesson too. probably the poor client just crumbled as they lectured him about the virtues of good wholesome roof designed by city officials.
but anyway, like you said, from now on i'll be there for these things. and never assume that a planning commission is able to read the plans and elevations objectively.
thanks for sharing your experiences guys.
its 5;15 am in la and it is still dark outside. if i don't decide to do something else later, i am gonna go to check out ray kappe pre fab installation. maybe a mini interview with ray if he is there... i need to focus on something other than the award winning homes of lakewood.

Apr 13, 06 8:24 am  · 
 · 
AP

good morning, (9am right coast). about time for me to start working...

this coffee is flavored and tastes like shit.

sporadic, you make Dubai sound great / worth it.

oh, ya, those floors, abra, are beautiful.

Apr 13, 06 9:00 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

manamana, I am the first to admit that subtle sarcasm is utterly lost on me. It's embarassing to be earnestly agreeing with a client/friend about something and then have them say "Um, I was joking". Yet it happens all the time.

sporadic, I actually got 3 hours sleep, got out of bed, kid fed and to school, picked up drawings, and found an extra half hour to stop at the office and check in! Thought you have probably started your weekend already. Enjoy.

I did just call the contractor (with whom I'm friends) and say "Listen, I'll get a more complete set of drawings to you next week, just please don't say in front of the client "Jeez, these drawings are really incomplete!" because I know they are but there are only so many hours in a day." He's cool.

Apr 13, 06 9:37 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

You guys!!!! (commence mock whining)

I just moved and I don't have my computer set up yet so every morning I come in to like, 50 new posts on TC. If someone could do a summation every 25 posts or so, that would be great, thanks. :o) Just kidding.

(end mock whining)

I really love my new apartment, BTW. Once I get settled and all set up I'll post pics. To give you an idea, it's so nice I feel like I'm living in a real city, as opposed to Cincinnati, ha.....

Apr 13, 06 10:00 am  · 
 · 
adso

No problem, ether, i'll be here.
Just waiting for my copy of Columns and Catalogues to show up so I can read about promiscuous concrete, per lb's recommendation.
Saw Lynch and Hoffman at a conference last week (no Massie, though). That Cooper/Cranbrook mystique can be quite intoxicating.

Apr 13, 06 10:20 am  · 
 · 
adso

As of this moment, the accepted to grad shools yet? thread has fallen to the second page. We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

Apr 13, 06 10:37 am  · 
 · 
AP

excellent. you're right..."regularly scheduled programming"
there are a number of interesting discussions going on now.
again.
finally.

Apr 13, 06 11:53 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

yes. like the ones about pirates and ninjas and the ATF

Apr 13, 06 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
AP

abra-han,
on the developer thread, started by Strawbeary, I mentioned Jacksonville and their process for design review etc...it's fortunately bound quite clearly by codes set forth by the downtown master plan and the zoning overlay...so committee members are required to base their decisions on these well articulated standards...of course, projects are granted deviations somewhat regularly (for better or worse), but the type of experience you described would likely not occur here. thankfully. (the area bound by the masterplan and the zoning overlay includes downtown and the "1st suburbs" which are semi-urban)...

/tangent

Apr 13, 06 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

WonderK I didn't realize you guys were mopving so soon - excellent. Sanp a pic of your new view if you get a chance.

adso, enjoy the slutty concrete. The line "...lazy glops, sensual as a frog." has always really stuck with me - we've all seen these pics of frogs that seems to have forgotten they have one foot on one branch and two on another and one hanging in midair. And they're simultaneously motionless and yet sort of dripping.

I thought the it must be spring thread was going to be about, um, spring, which is where my mind is today: up late, little sleep, got through the meeting no problem, it's gorgeous and sunny and damn near hot outside and for some reason feels like a Friday afternoon so all I want to do is lay down in the grass and snooze. Sigh.

Pixelwhore's t-shirt ninja face covering on that thread made me laugh so hard. I think these days I'm partial to men acting like boys because I see how much fun my husband has playing trucks and dinosaurs and digging with our 3-year-old.

Apr 13, 06 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i love doing turning radius studies. i get to drive trucks around the buildings i design :-D

digging holes i think is embeded in the y chromosome. the look on my mom's face when she saw how proud i was of these 4 foot deep pits in the backyard.

Apr 13, 06 3:08 pm  · 
 · 

LB: I can do an amazing dinosaur imitation to, I'm not just limited to ninjas. Unfortunately its not something that a photograph does any justice to.

Apr 13, 06 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
e

lb, i'm with you on the spring thread which is why i decided to post a pic that, uh, had something to do with said topic and because i wish it were spring like here. it is cold, windy, and gray. :(

Apr 13, 06 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Jeez, e, thank you I could NOT figure out what that lovely yellow flower had to do with ninjatecture! I'm such a literalist. No nuance, especially on so little sleep.

I should post a pic (oh, WonderK that sentence up there is supposed to read "snap a pic of your new view" poor typing) of my driveway: last summer we widened our gravel driveway 3' to add more turning space, but this spring - surprise! - the tulips popped up in a lovely curve that echoes the lawn at the edge of the driveway - but 3' feet into the driveway space, growing in a field of gravel. They look so valiant.

The sunshine will come eventually, e. That's the PacNW for you.

Apr 13, 06 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Ninjatecture. Brilliant. Loving these threads today. Good thing I'm supposed to be doing actual work.

lb, I could "sanp" a pic of my new view but it might end up being a picture of me scratching my head. I want to see those tulips on the driveway though.

calling all Ricers.... also officially cracks me up. Poor sellegr posted a legitimate topic and it didn't stand a chance.....

Apr 13, 06 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

My uncle once told his son and myself we could do anything we wanted with a certain 6'x6' chunk of land in his back yard. We dug a hole.

And thanks e for the clarification. I was trying to tie the ninjas in with the flowers and it confused me.

Apr 13, 06 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

lb- your description of super-tired, spring day, what-do-you-mean-its-not-friday, nap in the grass feeling is something I always wanted to put in the subtle pleasant sensations thread... makes the hard work through the night always seem worth it to me and makes it feel like I'm walking around with a bigass half-wit im not from this planet grin on my face.

Apr 13, 06 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

was reading the calling all Ricers thread and started to wonder:

what is the architectural equivalent of rice rocket'ing? take your decent yet inexpensive $2-300 per SF home and pimp it out to a nice $1400+ / SF design?

Apr 13, 06 5:06 pm  · 
 · 

that would be excellent: a flame job on your jim walter home.

Apr 13, 06 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
e

yes lb, warmer, longer, drier, sunnier days will come. one thing about the summers here, you are guarenteed 4 months of no rain and 16+ hours of daylight.

Apr 13, 06 5:19 pm  · 
 · 

you could make it green/off-the-grid: wind turbines with chrome spinners.

Apr 13, 06 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
e

my garden awaits

Apr 13, 06 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

await no longer. i've just pimped your house.

Apr 13, 06 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
e

oh no you didn't.

Apr 13, 06 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
AP

LOL...awesome.

Apr 13, 06 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

jump, good to hear your on the mend as well. So are you experiencing any aversion to dancing? I look forward to sitting quietly next xmas. Luckily I don't fear standing or alcohol altogether.

I asked my doctor here in CA if I needed to get the plates or screws removed and he said only if they bother me. They don't. So far. The only thing that does is like you mentioned, putting on my shoes.

I didn't lose any height at all. I feared a little asymetry with muscles, motion, bones, etc. But I seem to be ok. I hope you can report the same. How's walking? If a broken leg hurt my foot I can't imagine a broken foot.

Apr 13, 06 7:55 pm  · 
 · 

ACfA - no flame job? come on. what kind of outfit is this anyway?

Apr 13, 06 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

flames will be coming.

Apr 13, 06 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
e

jeezus, just don't burn my house down.

Apr 13, 06 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
some person

I am reminded of a website that hosts Photoshop "competitions" in which the organizers provide an image, and the participants 'shop it in clever ways (as ACfA did above). I don't know if I first read about the site on Archinect or somewhere else. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

My exhaustive list of unorganized bookmarks isn't helpful in locating the site, either. fphftf.

Apr 13, 06 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
some person

aHA. I think I saw the Photoshop contests on www.fark.com. After reviewing the website just now, it doesn't seem as glamorous as I remember...

Photoshop Contest looks promising, however.

Apr 13, 06 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Lovely garden, e. If I have a daughter I will consider naming her Trillium.

Nice spinners, ACfA. Very funny.

Apr 13, 06 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

just dont call me a viola tricolor hortensis...

Apr 13, 06 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

so whatever happened to the schools only forum idea?
seemed as though we were out of the grad school threads
haze...until we now have a thread for every possible open
house.

is there anyway that the school threads can be put somewhere
else?...or way that they can be filtered out?

Apr 14, 06 1:17 am  · 
 · 

thanks garpike!

glad to hear you are healing without problems. i can walk perty good now myelf, though still using a custom brace thing that just barely fits in my most stretchy and clown-footed shoes. looks good when meeting clients...

have to admit am a bit paranoid about dancing with the kids now, but will have to get over it cuz i can't say no to the kids (an the aerobic exercise needed to keep up with a 5 year old and a 2 year old is good for my ol bones). the oldest i getting interested in hip hop now and it is too funny to watch the younger one doing her short legged version...

kids are way too much fun...;-)

Apr 14, 06 3:00 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

garpike and jump u guys will be doing this in no time...and if not u can still wear the outfit to all archinect happy hours....

Apr 14, 06 8:14 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Jesus, that guy in the picture is about 2' off the ground. But that's not Michael Flatley, is it? I thought *he* was king of Riverdance. Those two could have a dancing duel. Just like garpike and jump.

Sorry, didn't get much sleep last night. I'll shut up.

Apr 14, 06 9:01 am  · 
 · 
AP

no, you probably won't...;)

Apr 14, 06 9:22 am  · 
 · 

rationalist

Total Entries: 20
Total Comments 1000

Apr 14, 06 10:58 am  · 
 · 
AP

(i was just kiddin' WK. Please, keep talking.)

Apr 14, 06 11:08 am  · 
 · 
French

Wow rationalist, those are pretty even numbers. Powers of ten once again. Must be pretty anoying to know that your gonna break such perfection on your next post...

Apr 14, 06 11:31 am  · 
 · 

actually it's a relief to have done it, that way I can post on whatever I want again. I'd been parsing out my posts to make sure I hit 1000 on Thread Central. I notice my 20th topic has come out flat, but that's ok. I mostly just posted for the number. = )

Apr 14, 06 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

okay...i haven't read anything here all week...but i just wanted to let you (plural) know that i'm still alive...thanks

Apr 14, 06 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

well, archinect appears to be detremental to foot health.

This morning I woke up with a terrible pain in my left heel. Nice bluish bruise on the inside dimple, and I can't put any weight on the heel (I can sorta limp around putting my weight on the pad and toes)

...and I have no idea how it happened.

certainly nothing like jump or garpike, but rather anoying nonetheless.

Apr 14, 06 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
AP

I have bad knees...maybe it's legs in general...not just feet?

Apr 14, 06 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

puddles why u aint been around did we jump the shark with you or watt???

Apr 14, 06 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i didn't realize this was such a popular thread. i've actually never even looked at it before until now.

Apr 14, 06 6:53 pm  · 
 · 

manamana, you should ask garpike how he broke his bones. would be funny if it wasn't true...(actually it is kinda funny anyway). hope you didn't do anything too serious to the foot.

fonzy is STILL cool.

Apr 14, 06 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i feel something missing if i don't hear puddles is alive every friday now.thanks for the call puddles.

"puddles living architecture"
...............it a life..............

Apr 14, 06 7:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: