Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

it took me 40 minutes to walk to work. i feel great. tina accompanied me half way and she turned around and hit back home. i think it is 3 miles. i lived in los angeles at least 8 years without a car before. it is really do-able and bit of a conversation piece for everybody who expects an architect to own a car at least. and of course not having one becomes a political statement rather than a poverty issue which is not. in reality anybody can afford a car here in la (i mean there are cars for sale 300$ that still runs.)

Aug 13, 07 4:03 pm  · 
 · 

Orhan sounds beautiful - from the walk to the office, and its inhabitants. Everything. You really should take more photographs and share with us. Perhaps the next archinect meet-up should take place there...sounds idyllic in many many ways.

I was contemplating how different life would of been for me had I moved to another island last year. It has a relaxed environment and most housing is in walking/biking distance with dramatic seas views the entire way. Its not far off visually from where I am now - but significantly more hills that makes walking anywhere streneous.

and btw great to see you back. I hope Daisy is doing well.

Aug 13, 07 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i like to walk. to the frig and get a beer that is...

Aug 13, 07 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Aug 13, 07 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

puddles is still alive

Aug 13, 07 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Aug 13, 07 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Aug 13, 07 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Aug 13, 07 7:14 pm  · 
 · 

beautifully done, vado.

Aug 13, 07 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

thanks steven. well by this time next year i may be livin in england if my exgirlfriend/ future wife gets that job she applied for. even if she doesnt get that one, chances are good that vado will not be in indianapolis too much longer.

Aug 13, 07 7:46 pm  · 
 · 

Well, apparently I've stood up to the scrutiny of criminal check, background check, credit check, and financial aid and budget analysis, and have been deemed worthy to rent a room.

Now the only dillemna is whether to trust my instinct that this is is and not bother setting up a bunch of other appointments, or to play it safe and squeeze in as many viewings as possible despite knowing there's a 99% chance that I won't want/need any of them. I've already got two others scheduled that I'm not going to cancel, just in case.

Aug 13, 07 8:30 pm  · 
 · 

congrats on getting the okay from the gestapo, rationalist. I think you are making the right move by going to the other interviews - have you seen the other places?

mr vado - I think you'll make the transition well if it happens. As long as you remain an active member of the postalot. You dress like a classy brommy anyway - so you'll be fine!!

Aug 13, 07 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

vado - if you move across the pond, will you start spelling like a brit?

I missed the posting of the newest feature. three cheers to the 'jobs team'!

Aug 13, 07 9:30 pm  · 
 · 

no, I haven't seen any of them in person. I've seen good photos of the one I applied for, and got some pretty useless photos of another one sent to me by someone who obviously thought that the plants in the garden were the most important bit of the house. So the other appointments are basically insurance against the possibility that my room turns out to be the size of a closet, or that these two people I've gotten on perfectly well with over email turn out to be witches in person. I don't think that either of those things will happen, though. But maybe I'll make one more appointment, that way if it does fall through I'll hopefully have a few choices.

Aug 13, 07 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Angus is off school this week. Brian has a large sculpture due in 4 weeks. Which means this week I'll be mostly MIA (thanks for thinking of me, vado!) as I'm squeezing work in between being a mommy and running a household. To keep Angus and I sane, I'm trying to do some projects to keep us both busy.

Day 1: Angus has learned Illustrator and today we did a drawing of a satellite and printed it on a T-shirt.

Later all.

Aug 13, 07 11:50 pm  · 
 · 

yeah angus. aka= sputnik.

Aug 14, 07 12:03 am  · 
 · 

that is super cool LB!

you seem to be made for UK, vado.

spelling in uk was not problem for me cuz i is canadian raised, but everyone (and i mean EVERYONE) smirked when i said that all so mysterious word "aluminum" in conversation...in archi-office it comes up too often. i think maybe they slipped it into conversation just to hear my faintly retarded way of saying the word (correct pronunciation is aluminiyum, apparently)...

on other hand when i activated my cellphone with beautiful voiced irish lady on other end of line, she told me i had the most lovely voice she had ever heard...something about canadian prairie boy pronunciation i guess it works for irish like sean connery's does for americans...i laughed all day long. for the whole week, really.

she didn't even laugh when i said aluminum.

Aug 14, 07 4:40 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Seriously? Illustrator?

Aug 14, 07 4:46 am  · 
 · 

great shirt. maybe angus can design the next version of the archinect shirt? have you submitted it to threadless?

looks like he's also getting the modeling moves down: "okay give me the casual lean, feature the product, and - ok - shy, coy, looking at your shoes. got it!!"

Aug 14, 07 7:12 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yeah, I'm sorry, did you say Angus learned Illustrator? Because I had lunch 'n learns at my last office where I tried to teach that program to a room full of 20-somethings and almost no one absorbed anything.

"Yes, hello, Mensa? I've got this 4-year-old I think you should see...."

Aug 14, 07 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Quick update: A co-worker of mine is leaving the country for three weeks due to a family emergency, so I'll be subletting her studio apartment in Harlem through the end of the month. It's not a permanent solution, but it gives me three weeks to find something slightly less transient.

Special thanks to larslarson for letting me crash in his kick-ass Chinatown loft for a few nights, and thanks for alfrejas24 for offering his sofa in Brooklyn.

Aug 14, 07 12:25 pm  · 
 · 

Well that's a good stopgap, Gin.

WonderK, I know the feeling. I've tried teaching C (28 year old educated guy for those who don't know him), and he just doesn't grasp the overall method/concept of how to really control the different tools.

Aug 14, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

apparently Angus is genius...not that I had any doubt (perhaps its in the genes). LB make sure to move him onto 3DMax next and I can send some work his way.

Aug 14, 07 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...

Aug 14, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

so my husband starts teaching school again next week. Which means I am without the car, as he will need to take it as there is no lightrail to get him up there. It takes me 50 minutes to walk to work. I think I could stand to lose a few pounds rather than dropping a few grand on a used car. Plus keep up my air of greeness of being in a one car family. It means I'd have to get up earlier though, and that is almost a deal breaker. Perhaps I should risk getting another.

Gin, glad you found a place. I was worried about you.

LB, unbelieveable. Seriously. Kids are awesome.

Aug 14, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

another bike. I crapped out on that sentence too soon.

Aug 14, 07 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

both principals went on vacation last week. both were supposed to be back yesterday, one never showed, the other showed up around noon. This morning they sat at a table and compared vacation stories. Then went to lunch about 11. They just got back, it's 2:30.

Not complaining, just documenting, this is evidence for when I go postal on the place.

Aug 14, 07 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Strawbeary, get the bike! I am having a grand time on mine here. Although it's a little embarrassing walking into the bank dripping wet.

Aug 14, 07 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

my hesitation with the bike: it either gets stored in the dining room, or outside where it can (and will) get stolen. I don't know if I can take the pain of losing another bike to a punk again.

Aug 14, 07 4:43 pm  · 
 · 

You could get a foldy bike like WonderK has, then storage is much less of a hassle.

Aug 14, 07 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

hmm, yes, i should look into that. Does it work good?

Aug 14, 07 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

... and after a solid 38 minutes of post lunch work, they're off.

Aug 14, 07 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

She seems to be having fun anyways.... they're probably a bit heavier (read: not as speedy) as that old Schwinn you had, though.

Aug 14, 07 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

my last bike was a heavy one, I liked it that way.

Aug 14, 07 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I'm trying to save for a downpayment on a house though, and dropping a grand on a bike isn't in my future. walking is free.

Aug 14, 07 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
Dahon Espresso

, $400

Aug 14, 07 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

That's my bike!!!

Um, question. How much weight can drywall anchors and corresponding screws actually hold? I'm trying to put a shelf up and I'm hesitating because I'm afraid it will be too heavy when I'm done with it....

Aug 14, 07 5:58 pm  · 
 · 

WK depends on the thread, depth, type, material - most will actually tell you on the box. Go to the h/w store and ask...but of course they are going to "sell" it better than it actually is so you may want to tell them its a 150lb shelf (offers to assist will follow)

I recently used the drywall screws to hold a 2.5" by 12" wide mahogany shelf (3no) held up fairly nice and its loaded with law books. The shelf was drilled about 1-1/2 and fill over the head of the screw with a mixture of putty and saw dust to stop it moving around. All experimental - seems to work (atm)

Aug 14, 07 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I've got an 1" thick by 11" wide by 47" long shelf that I want to put a printer and a scanner on. I've got 1 1/2" drywall anchors and #14-16 screws that fit them. My instinct tells me that it will work, barely, but I found a site that indicated that the type of anchors I have are only good for 10-15 pounds apiece. So, off to find the hardware store now....

Aug 14, 07 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
some person
walking is free.

Strawbeary, you've been full of good one-liners lately. (i.e beer can't fix this)

I walk 35 minutes to work everyday and love it, although I haven't needed to do it in the freezing cold yet. 50 minutes is quite a hike, though, but I suppose it could be good if you have a stimulating environment that varies throughout the duration of your commute. (My walk includes downtown-ish, a big bridge, a park, and a peaceful canal.)

Aug 14, 07 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Speaking of bikes, DubK, this is the bike that I was trying to explain the other day. There is a hipster bike gang in town and they have all sworn off their automobiles. They ride around town in these bikes (except, obviously, newer versions:

In the spirit of Thread Central, I suppose this post could have gone
here or here. I figured the Dubbers would probably see it here first.

Aug 14, 07 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hey, he's not wearing a helmet! good spoke work though.

Aug 14, 07 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
n_

hi vado

Aug 14, 07 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

howdy n_________________________________________________________

Aug 14, 07 11:19 pm  · 
 · 

Just wanted to drop in and say 'have a good rest of the week' to y'all. I'm off to the great white north tomorrow morning, will be back saturday. Probably will have extremely limited net access while there, and what I do have will be used for things like bus schedules and maps and craigslist.

Aug 15, 07 12:33 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

wonderk

i wouldn't rely on drywall anchors to hold up anything really..at least
not the normal kind. there's a really good kind that holds a heck of a lot,
but you'll have to get it online...i'll try to find them...

alright with a bit of a search i guess you can use a semi usual drywall
anchor: http://www.toggler.com/products_hwlm.html

the kind i've used before are the snaptoggle toggle bolts....they work
really really well..and they hold about 265 pounds per anchor.

Aug 15, 07 1:04 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Wow, thanks lars! I'm going to the hardware store tomorrow to check out my options. Good thing I only drilled one hole in the wall so far....

n_, I still do not understand how anyone would get on that thing. I would LOVE to see that biker gang in action though.

rationalist I am sending you positive thoughts!

Aug 15, 07 1:46 am  · 
 · 
garpike

I've seen those bone crushers at Midnight Ridazzz. Those people are nuts.

Aug 15, 07 2:09 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Pssst. I finally put up pictures from our stop in Little Rock to see the Clinton Presidential Library. I really love this building. Have a look.

Flickr set

If I had to pick any building in the country to say I had designed (but really had not), I would probably pick this one.

Aug 15, 07 3:12 am  · 
 · 

ha! a friend of mine at polshek was on the design team for the clinton library. i'll have to pass on your comment.

Aug 15, 07 7:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: