Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

elinor

woohoo!!!!

Jul 28, 11 5:38 pm  · 
 · 

Cautious congrats, Sarah - don't want to jinx it!

At this exact moment I despise being self-employed.  But the feeling will (probably) pass.

Jul 28, 11 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

"At this exact moment I despise being self-employed."

Why don't you get a real job hippie? Like Sarah here... :)

Jul 28, 11 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Why is it that when I don't feel like eating, I cook a breakfast not worth eating. You'd think I'd make something grand and amazing to entice my tastebuds to wake up, but instead I make a bland egg, and then wonder why they roll over and go back to sleep.

Jul 29, 11 8:27 am  · 
 · 

I had warm fresh Krispy Kremes for breakfast - a last-morning-at-the-beach tradition.  My taste buds are in sugar shock.

Jul 29, 11 9:43 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

This picture made me laugh out loud, and you guys are the only ones I know that would appreciate it.

Jul 29, 11 9:54 am  · 
 · 

that's great sarah... particularly given the metal boxes built out around the flushometers and pipes, which i assume are intended to keep people from ripping them out of the walls...

Jul 29, 11 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I don't spend much time in men's bathrooms.  Are urinals something so regularly stolen that they'd NEED anti-theft protection?

Jul 29, 11 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I taught tacocat to one of my students. He loved it.

Jul 29, 11 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

based on my three years working for a municipality, you'd never believe the types of things that happen to (and in) public restrooms in parks and recreation facilities... people like to destroy stuff just for the sake of destroying stuff...

Jul 29, 11 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I was always more interested  in  Toothfeet.  Seemed a bit more edgy.

Jul 29, 11 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Snook, I thought at first that was a tacocat comment, so I read toothfeet forwards and backwards a couple of times.  It never worked out write.  Now I'm gonna have to look it up.

Jul 29, 11 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

OK, DONT look that up, it gets awkward real fast.

Jul 29, 11 8:31 pm  · 
 · 

Sarah your comment makes me nervous!

But I also read Toothfeet backwards and forwards.  snook, you should challenge us TCers to poker - you;d fool us all!

Jul 29, 11 8:41 pm  · 
 · 

Except becca.

Jul 29, 11 8:47 pm  · 
 · 

teeth and feet.  together!  hah!

um, actually i don't get it, but i am surprisingly ok with that.

still kinda wondering about some of the threads on here lately.  they seem sincere but as i am writing can't help but think that these people are not real. what they are writing makes no sense.  must be a joke, in which case i would be wasting  my meagre hoard of snark.  realising this i erase the post and come here instead. 

and of course everyone is asleep.  ah well,  back to work.

Jul 30, 11 2:42 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

It is funny how things pop into our minds...toothfeet comes from one of those everyday experiences.  I was driving down the street and hit a stop light.  On the corner is a foot doctors office and he has one of those 1970's red flashing sign boards which is always flashing some insane crap.  Well it was flashing a  smile face as you would type it and I thought...toothfeet....So that is the story and when I saw TacoCat  it only made since to me. Sorry for messing with archinectors  minds.

Jul 31, 11 10:10 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

sense

Jul 31, 11 10:12 am  · 
 · 

afternoon all. about to thunderstorm here. had Friday and have Monday off as I am in middle of moving in with SO.

Trying to keep in mind the approach Bruce Sterling outlined a few years back in The Last Viridian Note

ie:

The hours you waste stumbling over your piled debris, picking, washing, storing, re-storing, those are hours and spaces that you will never get back in a mortal lifetime. Basically, you have to curate these goods: heat them, cool them, protect them from humidity and vermin. Every moment you devote to them is lost to your children, your friends, your society, yourself.

It's not bad to own fine things that you like. What you need are things that you GENUINELY like. Things that you cherish, that enhance your existence in the world. The rest is dross.

Do not "economize." Please. That is not the point. The economy is clearly insane. Even its champions are terrified by it now. It's melting the North Pole. So "economization" is not your friend. Cheapness can be value-less. Voluntary simplicity is, furthermore, boring. Less can become too much work.

The items that you use incessantly, the items you employ every day, the normal, boring goods that don't seem luxurious or romantic: these are the critical ones. They are truly central. The everyday object is the monarch of all objects. It's in your time most, it's in your space most. It is "where it is at," and it is "what is going on."

Jul 31, 11 2:35 pm  · 
 · 

Hm, some very nice ideas there, but I don't find voluntary simplicity boring - it's actually challenging!

Jul 31, 11 9:01 pm  · 
 · 

Of course I'm going the opposite of simple this year:  for my own amusement and terror, here is a list of all I'm doing this fall:

1. Teaching ProPrac and a graduate design studio (2 days/wk) including a travel week with studio.

2. PTSA Vice President - coordinating two committees, drawing up existing landscape plan for maintenance use, pushing idea to install outdoor amphitheater, fundraising for special math program

3. Board of Directors for People for Urban Progress, which involves several small design projects and helping define our mission.

4. Program Committee Member for Indianapolis Museum of Art Design Arts Society, including emceeing one event and managing speakers at another.

5. Including my chicken coop on the local bicycle group IndyCog's Tour de Coop.

6. Finishing - before Super Bowl! - fabrication and installation of seven bus shelters.

7. Three significant residential remodel projects and one professional office expansion project, plus typical little stuff, all on the boards for fall.

8. Hosting a party for two awesome Swedish architects and acting as local Arch of Record for their project.

9. Most important, dealing with my husband's solo exhibit at the IMA: guests in town, marketing, and his 16-hour workdays for the next month.

10. Swimming, guitar, and karate lessons for my amazing 8 year old.

11. Trip to Phoenix for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary.

12. Serving on Facilities Committee for the local swim club, including figuring out how to make a new yoga space in the nearly necrotic gym facility.

No kidding, I just printed this list out to hang on my wall by my desk and remind myself how much is on my plate.  You guys do me a favor and email me every now and then asking "Are you working?  or surfing the interwebs?!"

Aug 1, 11 12:22 am  · 
 · 

Also, I should be clear: I'm not complaining.  I'm incredibly lucky that my list does NOT include anything like "dealing with chemo for breast cancer" and DOES include "enjoying my work every day".  I'm just embarrassed at how much I've committed to recently!

Aug 1, 11 12:24 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Donna - Please make sure you add to that list "SLEEP".  ;o)

Aug 1, 11 8:35 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

Donna I used to hear about all of this over coffee or drinks. I miss you so!

Aug 1, 11 8:44 am  · 
 · 
n_

Hi all.  I hope everyone is doing well.

I agree with the comments on keeping your identity anonymous.  I'm a lady of mystery.

I just spent the past 9 days in NYC.  It's the first time I have travelled there (in probably about 12 trips?) and not wanted to move there.  I think this means I'm growing up.

Aug 1, 11 11:46 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

summers in NYC are disgusting - especially when it gets really hot and humid.

Aug 1, 11 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Vado, what song does that remind me of?  I can't put my finger on it, but I'm pretty sure it was sung by a lady, or lady group.  Damn.

Aug 1, 11 12:41 pm  · 
 · 

n_ and how do you feel about that "new-found" maturity? 

i know even after i left brooklyn (where i was initially raised) I would always visit in summer, and while i loved the city i hadn't then sticky stank, that i felt layered me in grime after spending a day walking around town.

Donna 6, 8 and 9 sound particularly exciting....

Aug 1, 11 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

hating nyc in the summer?  you guys are crazy!  i had my morning coffee (blue bottle slow drip) on a beach towel at rockaway beach this morning, then threw a black dress over my swimsuit and went to a meeting.  now i've got a fresh baguette and some nutella and am ready for lunch in lower manhattan.  grime?  stink?  small price to pay  :)

Aug 1, 11 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Ha!  I don't know how I feel about the new-found maturity.  I'm beginning to notice I can't eat fried food the way I used to.  And I can't drink the way I used to.  And white hairs are popping up left and right on my head.  And I have an urge to settle down and buy my own place. 

This is adulthood creepin' in.  Impending life crisis coming on?  I don't think so.  I like these changes.  It's all pretty exciting. 

Nam, do you still get stinky stank?  Don't you live in Florida, the land of stinky stank? 

Aug 1, 11 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

here's the proof......

Aug 1, 11 2:13 pm  · 
 · 

yep it gets pretty sticky stank. but not grimey at least. not urban enough?

as for creeping adulthood i totally relate..... I to am generally pleased by it though.

Aug 1, 11 2:14 pm  · 
 · 

elinor, i have been craving the beach lately. it's been a couple of months. howse it that you live in NYC and get to beach more than someone who lives in north FL?

Aug 1, 11 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

crappy but serviceable car + work in the outer boroughs = opportunities to sneak off to the beach every now and then.  i'm still amazed that nyc has beaches!

oh, but the best part---then i found a parking space right in front of my door!  so far, a good day...

Aug 1, 11 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, n_, the lower tolerance for fried food and dessert is one of the things I DISlike about maturing.  But I suppose it's healthier in the long run.  I can still drink just fine, though I rarely WANT to drink too much anymore.  Also healthier, and less embarrassing.

elinor I'm envious of your ability to go to a meeting secretly knowing you were just on the beach!  Glad you're having such a good day!

Aug 1, 11 2:27 pm  · 
 · 

wish me luck. off to a perfect job interview that i qualify for... i would be building a platform, help create, lead and organize activities in the design discourse and engage the community in the discussion of built environment. it involves vision, web interface, publishing and advising. the top guy is the only person i report to in a large organization.

i have not interviewed for years but some reason i am not nervous at all and full of ideas which i am certain they will want to hear about.. they already know quite bit about me.

Aug 1, 11 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Luck!

Aug 1, 11 3:39 pm  · 
 · 

wow Orhan sounds right up your alley. i know you'll ace :o

Aug 1, 11 3:59 pm  · 
 · 

Good luck, sounds like you're relaxed enough you don't need it!

Aug 1, 11 4:05 pm  · 
 · 

jealous re the urban beaches.  way cool

Aug 1, 11 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I took a beach day in the driveway....working on Taj my 1984 Mercury Grand Marquis with 47,000 miles on him.  It was drain  and flush the radiator day which is something I have been doing between office tasks.  I  started messing with Taj yesterday cause he has been sitting in our driveway for some time.  Went and bought a new battery installed it and he started right up.  Then I took to scrubbing the grit off of him from the New England Acid Rain.  The Vinyl top....lookin 1984.  I have had and over heating problem in the past so I'm going to use "Nano Technology" to hopefully solve my problem otherwise he is off to the shop for and expensive date with the Mechanic. 

I just figured I had spent most every weekend working in front of a computer for one reason or another .  It being August 1st, I figured I needed a break doing something other than some aspect of Architecture.  I can say I'm a shitty mechanic, but I do love tooling around under the hood of old cars.  So I have those sunburned arms ....cause of the short sleeves.  I did manage to keep a hat on so at least I did not sunburn my bald head.

I guess I will finish it up tomorrow as Thunderstorms have come a visiting this evening.

Good Luck Orhan!  You are the best suited individual for this job...least I think so!

Aug 1, 11 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Buena suerte, O!

Aug 1, 11 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I have grey hairs, just noticed them in the last few months here.

Aug 1, 11 7:20 pm  · 
 · 

it went great! everybody said "excellent" at the end. i think i inspired the interviewers... thank you for your vibes.. i felt it..

Aug 1, 11 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Woo-hoo Orhan!!!  Glad to hear the interview went well. 

Aug 1, 11 8:53 pm  · 
 · 

Excellent, Orhan.  Of course you are.

I made home-made watermelon "jello" today.  Unfortunately the unsweetened gelatin, when prepared, looks exactly like what it is: bone marrow.  So I'm eating this sweet summer dessert yet feel like a total carnivore.

Aug 1, 11 9:19 pm  · 
 · 

coolio !

Aug 1, 11 9:24 pm  · 
 · 

Oh, yay <sarcasm>!  My co-Vice President of the PTA just announced she's moving away.  So I'm on my own!  Thank goodness my President is awesome.

And I forgot to add to the list above: I volunteered to be on the planning committee for a new neighborhood arts center in our city.  I'm definitely finally understanding what "networking" is all about with all this volunteer work I'm doing, but I'm using up all my billable hours!

Aug 1, 11 10:30 pm  · 
 · 

jump, you at work yet?  Seems my best working hours lately are late at night, like in the old days.

Aug 2, 11 12:06 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Hot town, summer in the city

Back of my neck feelin' dirt & gritty

(something something something)

...hotter than a match head...

C'mon c'mon, let's dance all night

Despite the heat it'll be alright

'cuz babe, don't you know it's a pity

the days, can't be like the nights

in the summer

in the city

in the summer

in the city...

Aug 2, 11 12:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: