Archinect
anchor

accepted to grad schools yet?

Living in Gin

8888 wrote:
"i definitely put my parents address and tel# on a few applications b/c after may i won't be living where i'm living now and i didn't want mail to get lost. i hope they're not calling my parent's house. that would be so awful and weird."

I can see it now: "Jimmy! Some Asian chick named Toshiko is on the phone for you!"

Mar 7, 06 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
boooyaka

that is a good one art crimes.... If I were you I would make sure taht you run to the bathroom and then throw up in the toilet.... then don't forget to flush. Then gather yorself and grasciously accept like nothing even happened.

there are over 6000 views for this posting! I think that everyone is getting a little desperate and anxious!

Mar 7, 06 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
boooyaka

that is a good one art crimes.... If I were you I would make sure taht you run to the bathroom and then throw up in the toilet.... then don't forget to flush. Then gather yorself and grasciously accept like nothing even happened.

there are over 6000 views for this posting! I think that everyone is getting a little desperate and anxious!

Mar 7, 06 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
boooyaka

Mar 7, 06 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
salparadi

settle down manning :)

Mar 7, 06 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
wilday

i woke up this morning at 4:30am wondering if the mail had been delivered yet today...

anybody seen the part in christmas vacation where the mailman delivers chevy chase's "bonus" and says it is late because it fell between the seats of the mail truck? why do i feel like this will definitely happen to me?

Mar 7, 06 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
formz

Thrilled to be accepted to GA Tech 3/1; I, too, was caught off guard by the phone call. I'm sure my stuttering really impressed the Dean. I'm just glad to hear good news first...I'm still waiting to hear from Penn and Columbia.

So what the heck do we do about needing to inform one school of our interest by 3/20 and not expecting to hear from the others until 4/2?? I'm so confused.

Mar 7, 06 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
AP

LIG, hilarious.

Mar 7, 06 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
boooyaka

salpardiiljaskdfj;j (whatever) sorry i was a little trigger happy.

Mar 7, 06 3:14 pm  · 
 · 

LIG and AP, more like my dad would try and have a conversation with whomever was calling and would try to get all sorts of (probably irrelevant) program information for me but think they were doing a good job. and then they would relay everything to me and forget something crucial like what school it was that called.

and for the record, i'm not a jimmy. i'm a jane. or a janet. or a julie.

Mar 7, 06 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
boooyaka

also this is ridiculous... when ever I recieve a phone call at work my speakers make this bizzare noise right before my phone rings...
doesn't always indicate a call, but now whenever it happens I pick up my phone and stare at it for a moment or two... then open it up and close it ... put it down and return to whatever I am pretending to do.

Mar 7, 06 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i tap the mailbox to preview the bulk of mail inside before opening it. i keep thinking i hear my phone ringing and check it compulsively, esp. since i don't get a good signal in the office. I account for about 1/4 of the 6000 views of this thread.

Mar 7, 06 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

and i'm glad i'm not the only one going crazy. that's the little solace i have.

Mar 7, 06 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Mea culpa. (blushes)

Mar 7, 06 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
Emerson123

I feel the same way, ACFA. At least there are more freaks out there like me.

Mar 7, 06 3:23 pm  · 
 · 

i was away this past week and when i got home from the airport i made my boyfriend and i take a cab (instead of the T) to get home quicker so i could get to my mailbox quicker. (as if the contents were going to change within the 40 minute difference between the subway and a taxi.)

i also made my boyfriend come inside with me (we don't live together) and stand around while i emptied the mailbox just in case i had a rejection and might need a hug.

i, too, am neurotic and twitchy every time i think about all this stuff. i really should swear off archinect until the end of march but i like hearing how everyone else is just as nuts. misery loves company.

Mar 7, 06 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I only laugh because (fingers crossed) this is what I'll be going through this time next year.

Mar 7, 06 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
musicman

formz,

Congrats, which program were you accepted to at GaTech?

Mar 7, 06 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

in response to the comment about needing to accept before hearing back from another place, the best thing to do is call and explain the situation, i seem to remember this coming up before and places will give you a week or two leeway to get things figured out. Also, check about how late you can rescind your acceptance. it may cause a burned bridge backing out on somewhere, but its another option.

Mar 7, 06 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
AP

i'm in the same boat as LIG, one year away...it's nice to read all of this now, stress-free, so when my time comes, I'll already know what this thread (or next year's version of it) will be saying, and will have an easier time avoiding it...

best of luck to all of you...i'm enjoying your little soap-opera...carry on

;)

Mar 7, 06 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
salparadi

accepted to michigan yesterday. a good start to a long 3 weeks...

Mar 7, 06 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
wood_

some of us needs to calm down =) start doing good things to the world; maybe God will see your good deeds & grant your wish. I've been really mellow and accepting to whatever comes my way. I guess I have other things to worry about other than what is important for me.

One of the few problems I'm worried about is how I will tell my parents I decided to do architecture. I haven't talked to them in the past seven months; there was a bypass over my decision to not be a pharmacist; something they had always wanted me to do. It's a long, complex story to begin with but I'm no longer allowed to call them mom and dad. They have no idea what I've decided to do. I hope an acceptance letter from yale would be something my parents would be proud of; I won't tell them the avg salary of an architect otherwise there wouldl be another horrible dispute, etc. If all else fails, I'm not sure what to do.

Mar 7, 06 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
wilday

salparadi-
what program at michigan, 2g or 3g? Also, how did they notify you? I haven't heard anything yet for 2g.
Congrats!

Mar 7, 06 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

it's great to hear that people are getting acceptance letters, but of the people who normally post on this, who hasn't heard from anyone yet?

I applied to three schools and haven't heard as much as a mouse fart from any of them. I've started to make phone calls and one unmentioned school will begin mailing out letters at the end of this week.

Mar 7, 06 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
wilday

JdesP-
I applied to Berkeley, UCLA, sci-arc, Michigan and ASU. I haven't heard anything from anyone yet, except that they received my applications.

Mar 7, 06 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
samsonoio

I haven't heard anything from the 4 schools I applied to:
MIT, GSD, UPenn, UOregon.

I want to hear about who's been rejected, and from where - that other thread seems to have disappeared.

MArch admissions people out there, let me know if you love or hate me, you know? I just need some resolution.

Mar 7, 06 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

just for the record, it'd be embarassing to admit you've been rejected. i haven't heard a word from any of the schools i've applied to. but i'd be hard pressed to post rejections here. unless of course i had already gotten into one of my favored schools. then i could care less....

Mar 7, 06 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
laxchc11

super - yeah my parents think this is a phase.... an expensive one, but a phase nonetheless

they cant understand why im not married w/ kids right now.(note: i'm only 22)

Mar 7, 06 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
vman

I applied to 3-year programs at ucla, berkeley, yale, upenn, and risd.

have not heard a peep yet...

Mar 7, 06 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
wood_

gluck vman =)

Mar 7, 06 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
samsonoio

I'm interested in knowing where people got rejected from so that I know if rejection letters are being sent out from schools I applied, so I'll know to look out for mine.

Mar 7, 06 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

LiG, AP -- I'm thinking the same thing as I read these obsessive, maniacal ravings from poor, tortured souls. Next year will be upon us before we blink.

All I can do now is cheerlead from the sidelines, wish you all the best of luck, and hope you remember...it'll all be over soon.

Oh yeah, and get yourself completely fucking legless once it is...'cause you will have truly earned it!

Mar 7, 06 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
two-headed boy

jdesp- who is the unmentioned school that will begin mailing at the end of the week?

Mar 7, 06 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
salparadi

michigan 3g, by mail, they sent a rather large bundle, a clear vinyl envelope enclosing a white smock folded nicely around all the paperwork. clever.

Mar 7, 06 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
orEqual

I just called Yale and was told that they don't give acceptance information out over the phone. That's sort of what I expected to hear, and I'll probably temper my curiousity and save myself the trouble of calling other schools. Though it may work if you call them and make up something about receiving a garbled voicemail from Stern and just curious if that meant acceptance, etc. They may appreciate the subterfuge!

Mar 7, 06 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
switcheroo

my arch history prof just told me this little bit of wisdom today: a good friend and colleague of his had applied to yale's arch history phd program years ago. she apparently was brilliant and had excellent credentials, etc. she was rejected and was DISTRAUGHT, crying, depression, the whole bit. he asked her about the acceptance rate, to which she replied that they had about 250 applicants and accepted only 12. he then explained that acceptance has little to do with the individual's caliber or qualifications and everything to do with space available. out of 250 applicants, there were definitely many more than 12 individuals qualified. those 12 simply had better connections.

the moral: DON'T take rejection personally.

(i hope i can follow this advice myself!)

Mar 7, 06 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
odp1

Here's a question that I don't think has yet been addressed in this thread:

Do most architecture grad schools have waitlists?

I would think so, especially for the larger ones, considering that they have to manage their yield. While it's always good to get another shot, it might make the open-house period a nightmare if there are overlaps; I would imagine if you were waitlisted somewhere you really want to go, it's important to show up for the open house. Does that make sense, or would it be fine to visit at a different time to show that you're interested?

Good luck to everyone. (Even though I guess you are my competitors). Remember, there's no point in worrying about stuff that's out of your hands.

Mar 7, 06 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
boooyaka

JDES - I applied to UCLA, GSD, Columbia, Sci-Arc, Bartlett and the AA. Haven't heard a damn word!

Superglue- A little shy of a decade ago I began college. I was bound and determined to be a vetrinarian and my parents were bound and determined to see me become a vet.

(Imagine there suprise when I went to my University (which I had a full scholarship to) and two weeks later dropped out! Threw a little kink in all of our plans.

I then enrolled in an expensive private school as a Biology Chemistry major... A year later I found myslef in studio and addicted to it. I never even considered a career in vet medicine after that.

Anywho, the point of my story is that my parents are always questioning my judgement... they were even pissed that I wanted to apply to graduate schools... I kept saying "most parents would be happy if their child wanted to apply to Harvard" big jerks!

anywho, tell your parents to PISS OFF and do whatever the hell you want! If they are paying for school try and tell them to piss off as nicely as possible!

Mar 7, 06 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

there may be no point, but that's what we as people do best: worry about stupid crap we can't control. especially architects.

Mar 7, 06 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
switcheroo

okay, i've hit refresh one final time for today. 53min since ACfA posted... i'll check back tomorrow. now to check the mail at home.

Mar 7, 06 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

A center for ants? -posting your rejections will bring you good karma, it worked for me. posting my parsons rejection brought me two acceptances, what a great rate of return! considering the fact that i applied to nine schools total, i anticipate 4 more letters of acceptance and 2 rejections, which i will promptly post (we must keep the deities happy).

Mar 7, 06 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
Howard Roark

I agree with switcheroo, don't take rejections from so called prestigious schools too personally. While there are many truly and amazingly talented people at those schools, many of the programs are also looking for future donors. I went to a posh/reputable private school for highschool, took all honors and AP courses, good SAT scores, 4.0, and solid recommendations. I was rejected from Princeton, but a classmate of mine who was a complete ditz, had a 3.0 GPA, and never took an honors course in her life got in...her dad had donated a several million for a new building and owned half of Nashville. Fortunately, I had no intention of going there - I was just trying to appease my dad and grandfather who went there...I guess they should have been a little more generous. You have to consider that an alloted fraction of accepted students are there because of their parents connections and fat wallet. It sucks, but some schools have got to look out for themselves a little bit. Famous architects and new buildings don't come cheap. It doesn't mean you shouldn't try to get in. Hell, if you get in you are just that much better than you thought...right.

By the way, congratulations to everyone who has received acceptances.

Mar 7, 06 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
Emerson123

I got a nice big envelope from IIT in the mail today. Ahh, the relief of knowing I'm going to grad school next year is delicious. I feel so much more relaxed than I did 4 hours ago!

On another note, anyone heard from Cincinnati yet? The information package they sent out months ago said they'd notify "successful" candidates by March 1.

Just curious.

Mar 7, 06 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
GT+...:(

No Ivy's for me, I don''t have the grades or the portfolio, much less any connections. I applied to UF, FIU, USF, Clemson, VT, Sci-Arc, and ASU. I got an acceptance from FIU Friday. It's near the bottom of my list but it's in state and cheaper. At least I'll be somewhere this Fall. I'll keep everyone posted.

Mar 7, 06 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
mn

some one indicated that UCLA started emailing acceptances March 1st. has anyone heard anything?

Mar 7, 06 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

nothing from UCLA for me. and i live 3 miles from the campus.

Mar 7, 06 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
cnl3b

I've been obsessing over this thread for weeks now along with everyone else! Finally figured I should chime in. I was accepted to Univ. Illinois at Chicago and Catholic, waitlisted at Parsons. Still waiting for Berkeley, Columbia, U.Md. but is SUCH a relief to have been accepted somewhere...if even not my first choice.

Two questions -- anyone know anything about UIC? I applied there as a "safety" choice but am beginning to like the idea of living in Chicago for a few years (and paying cheap state school tuition.)

Also, maybe we can talk about this here or on a new thread, but what are some good questions to ask when visting a school? There was talk earlier about how much studio space students get -- definitely a good thing to check out. What else should we be sure to find out before making a decision?

Mar 7, 06 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
boooyaka

nada from UCLA... nada from everywhere actually.

I know that it takes five or six working days for mail to get from CAlly to me (Midwest) so let's do the math... acceptances sent out on the first - i am sure they forgot so we'll call it the second (I think that was a Thursday) - I have no concept of time ... SHIT... that means I would get my acceptance or lack there of tomorrow or the next day.

Damn you MN are to trying to make me go postal... I haven't checked the mail today... I must go!

Mar 7, 06 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
iterati

I called UCLA yesterday and they stand firm that they are not sending out anything until late-march/early april. It is supposed to be an e-mail followed by a letter for added oomph.

On another note....has anyone else begun to examine the pro's and con's of quiting the job, enrolling in a few continuing education classes, purchasing a thorough library of monographs, history and theory books from Amazon, and entering a couple competitions as a substitute for grad school? yikes

Mar 7, 06 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
joe architect

just posting to get updates, but I did get accepted to UW - Milwaukee last week (my alma mater/ back up school)

Have not heard from Rice, Michigan 2G, UT - Austin or UVA yet....

Mar 8, 06 9:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: