Archinect
anchor

accepted to grad schools yet?

Nachas

Both UVA and UNCC called me up. Good luck to everyone applying to grad programs.

Mar 4, 06 11:53 am  · 
 · 
artcrimes

Supheavy is right,

my apologies dblefere

much to tense nowadays

Mar 4, 06 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
strugs

Random question: for the people who have rec'd calls from schools, who calls you? Is it a dean, a professor, an administrator? Also, have they left messages, or did they talk to you in person?

Mar 4, 06 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
wood_

it's usually the assoicate deans. does anyone have opinions about WUSTL? I noticed I made a grammatical error in my last post; how embarrassing. I guess I was too excited to have at least gotten into one of the schools I applied for. Still waiting on the big dawgs - yale, upenn, and cornell.

Mar 4, 06 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
mn

i got a phone call from parsons today, i also just received my acceptance in the mail, which included my portfolio. did anyone else get their portfolio back without sending return postage? just curious.
thanks.

Mar 4, 06 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
boooyaka

dman it I still have ages to wait! I am sending out my last two applications Monday (deadlines of April 1) so how am I going to make a decision if I don't hear back from them until MAY?

Hopefully I will get into UCLA soon and that will take the edge off!

Mar 4, 06 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
strugs

mn -- I got my portfolio back from Parsons as well...

has anyone gotten an email from UCLA yet -- does the email include fin. aid info? any idea how generous they are with aid to out-of-staters?

Mar 4, 06 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
iterati

Artcrimes....no worries. Any arrogance that came from that posting was strictly a result of the fact that it is frustrating to have heard from one, while knowing that I'm gonna have another month in limbo before I hear from the rest. I'm a confident person but not an arrogant person.

The whole waating to hear back from schools process is incredibly emotional. I am realizing that, if given the unlikely scenario that I got into all 4 schools I applied to, it is, for me atleast, becoming a philisophical decision not based solely in what I want from an architecture school, but what direction I want to take my life in. I've applied to schools is LA, NYC, Chi and Philly. All very different from eachother and all very different as far as where I would feel most comfortable forging an existence. I'm asking myself the question of what is most important to me now and in the future. Not easily answered.

In response to SuperHeavy's comment....it would almost make my life easier if I got 3 rejection letters from the rest. Then I could put my mind at ease and wouldn't have to dwell on it. Oh well.....it's gonna be a loooooooong month.

Mar 4, 06 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
artcrimes

i pray for 3 rejections everyday...preceisely 3 though.

yea, it really is going to be a long month; this website should go down for the time being because it is adding to my anxiety.

Sad thing is, it isn't the end of the world if we don't get into these schools, because to be honest, a year or two off to begin living life again and havign time to regather myself after the destruction of studio might not be such a bad idea.

regardlee I will probably roll into the fetal position and cry myself to sleep tonight.

Mar 4, 06 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
Howard Roark

On the way to my crappy bartending job on saturday, I checked my phone and saw that I had a new message. It was the director at Parsons (I think) informing me that I had been accepted to the MArch program. I nearly ran off the road. It just feels good to know that I got in somewhere, and so soon. I actually really attracted to Parsons partly because of its unique location in the heart of manhattan and its connection with great design. I grew up around the "Ivy" crowd my whole life and find the priveledged few to be exhausting, so I was more interested in pursuing a multidisciplinary art school. I am excited, but want to be sure I am not signing up for anything bogus. What's the word on Parsons? They have a pretty impressive faculty list, I must say. It just seems like studying in NYC would be an invaluable experience.

Mar 6, 06 7:14 am  · 
 · 
RickyBobby

For those of you waitng on the GSD,

A quick survey of my friends reveals that they let people know starting at the beginning of March as late as the end of March. Mainly by phone call but some people are notified by letter (atleast this was the case a few years ago). So i wouldnt panic if you havent heard anything. For those that got phone calls, most were called by Toshiko Mori but some received calls from junior faculty (Ron Witte my year called a few people but he's at Princeton now) Hope this makes people feel a little better that are waiting on the GSD and other schools. The waiting is tough.... but no where near as tough as the first year....

Mar 6, 06 8:38 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Parson's has a good program. In my opinion the IV league schools are somewhat overrated. Sci-arc is MUCH better than Columbia... It's all about the facilities. You can chew over discourse for hours, but talking doesn't get your model built. Who honestly wants to work in a space that is only big enough for a shitty dell computer and an ipod?

Mar 6, 06 9:06 am  · 
 · 
mad+dash

phasty, I would chose Parsons over the other multi-disciplinary design schools: RISD, Pratt, and CCA due to its faculty and the fact that it is in Manhattan, especially if you've never studied in New York. The fact that it is tied to New School University gives you more options than the others listed, despite the fact that Parsons arch. facilities leave more to be desired.

Mar 6, 06 10:13 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

My first year undergrad was a parsons grad and loved it...he does killer work too. Bill Massie is another Parsons grad I know of...couldn't be that bad.

Mar 6, 06 10:21 am  · 
 · 
orEqual

JohnProlly...The "amount of studio space per student" would be a nice piece of data for schools to publish, considering how insignificant it is to evaluate programs by the other numbers.

I attended the open house at Columbia this past fall, and their limited space was presented as a feature, rather than a bug (of course). Taking a look at the studio spaces, what I saw were a lot of smaller models and a bit of stacking. They seemed to deal with it, just as a lot of us dealt with it in cramped undergrad conditions at other schools.

Still, it's something to consider.

Mar 6, 06 10:41 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

why dont they just move into a building with less space if its such a positive thing, heh...total bullshit.

Mar 6, 06 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
jualn

adding to the list...

I received an acceptance package from the University of Michigan in the mail today for their MArch 3G (first professional degree) program.

wahoo!

Mar 6, 06 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
musicman

Got an acceptance package from IIT this afternoon.

Congrats jualn, Michigan is a great school!

Mar 6, 06 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
jualn

thanks musicman, i'm pretty excited.

congrats to yourself as well!

Mar 6, 06 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
ctk1

congrats so far to those who have received positive responses. I have been accepted to UVA, IIT, and Yale (as of this afternoon via phone call). Still waiting on Penn, MIT, Berkeley.

Mar 6, 06 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

congrats!

Mar 6, 06 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
iterati

Musicman.....Congrats on the acceptance. Which MARCH program are you accepted for? I'm in for the post-pro MARCH I. I'm tempted to just accept right away so that the decision is made and I can sleep at night.

Mar 6, 06 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
wood_

congratulations ctk1!

Mar 6, 06 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
meta

congrats ctk1! i`m waiting for yale decisions too. the prof or the post prof M-Arch? should i call them and find out about my acceptance too?

Mar 6, 06 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
vman

Congrats to everyone who has been been accepted somewhere!
Congrats as well to everyone still waiting and maintaining your sanity!

ctk1 - which program at yale did you apply to?

Mar 6, 06 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
ctk1

I was accepted to the Yale M.Arch I Professional program. don't freak if you haven't heard yet though. i am guessing that they don't get in touch with everyone the same day. it couldn't hurt to call, but at the same time, like i said, they might not be getting in touch with everyone in one day. good luck to those who haven't heard yet. fingers are crossed for the other remaining schools...anyone hear from Penn, MIT, or berkeley yet?

Mar 7, 06 12:05 am  · 
 · 
guiggster

ctk1, I'm waiting on each one of those schools as well. Congratulations on Yale...I haven't heard from them yet.

P.S. Please discontinue posting on Archinect. It is causing me great anxiety. Thank you.

Mar 7, 06 1:07 am  · 
 · 
jkdes

congrats ctk1.

btw, when is the spring break? (i'm international) do they close their office during the week? i just wanna make a call to check whether i'm accepted or not.

Mar 7, 06 1:09 am  · 
 · 
RL

I'm really not posting this to make you all more anxious, but I also got a call from Stern yesterday. He said that the committee had their final meeting over the weekend and that decisions were going to trickle out. Best of luck to everyone.

Mar 7, 06 8:48 am  · 
 · 
switcheroo

i know this has been discussed somewhat in other posts, but i wanted to see what you other current applicants are thinking with regards to choosing an ivy- or a non-ivy-league school. i've read on here that you by no means earn more money by going to an ivy, so is the networking so overwhelmingly good that it overrides the cost of tuition and living expenses?

having heard acceptances from OSU and GATech, i'm getting more and more anxious about hearing from yale and GSD (and others). frankly, i wasn't thrilled about GSD when i visited for their open house last november. i loved yale, but i don't know if i was too starry-eyed at the prospect of going to such a well-known school. are any of you concered about the effect of the arch school transition, ie 1 year in the current building, 1 year in the temporary space in the new sculpture building, and 1 year in the completed, expanded arch school?

i'm looking forward to visiting OSU thursday, with their new building and all. maybe i'll fall in love with the place without being distracted by any starchitect status like in the ivys.

despite my opinions a few weeks ago, i think it's more my style to go for a well-known, non-ivy, like GATech, or rather not be biased by name. i never have or would consider myself an ivy-league snob, so i suppose i'll go with an attempted unbiased choice.

Mar 7, 06 10:23 am  · 
 · 
boooyaka

I recieved a wicked little notice from Sci-Arc yesterday. I came home and saw an envelope with Sci-Arc return address and in bold letters across the top... ACCEPTANCE NOTIFICATION... then as I grabed it an looked at it was only a damn card saying "we will notify you in early april" what jerks.

And after reading this thread I have become incredibly anxious when I see an area code pop up on my caller ID... yesterday I actually ansered the phone with great excitement and a cheerful man on the other end said is this amanning I excitedly replied yes and then he went on to inform me about a wonderful cooking school that I should consider! I HATE PHONE SOLICITORS!

I think that I will definitely cry if I don't get in anywhere, then I will quickly get up kick myself in the ass and get over it!

Mar 7, 06 10:46 am  · 
 · 
artcrimes

I have the same dispositions as you, my friend. But I think the whole snob thing is a bit of the past; I am a midwestern kid myself, and coming from a more humble school, UIUC, the thing I think I would miss the most by going to an Ivy is the humbleness and general good character of a lot of my classmates. Sure, most of them may never be Pritzker Prize Architects, but goddamn it they know how to make studio fun, they don't stab you in the back, and they are generally down to earth.

My biggest fear is that I will be in the presence of the douche bags that can in fact make studio into more of a hell than it is. I canm't believe that Ivy's work harder in studio than non Ivys EVERYWHERE. Maybe its the bad company that makes time go by slower?

Back to my point, it seems like the more I read here, a lot of us who are applying doin't fit into that snobbish mold, and I think that is a trend that has been rising. Perhaps these places are changing from their once classict dispositions? Or perhaps we all won't get in? (Not true! Congrats to those who have)

Anybody know what I mean? Yea, you're right, shuttup artcrimes.....

Mar 7, 06 10:54 am  · 
 · 
orEqual

This whole phone call business certainly complicates things. It's easy enough to check the mail when it arrives, but a phone call from a Dean at my future grad school (though Dean quality may vary) is not something that I'd want to miss. Obviously we all want to be accepted one way or the other, but I can't help wanting to be super-accepted via phone call.

To make matters worse, I have the week off in between jobs and have had all the time in the world to stare at my phone. But I'm also probably going camping in the wilderness for the rest of the week. Has anyone actually called schools yet to check on acceptance?

switcheroo...I know someone who turned down the GSD for Yale because the "GSD had no heart", or something to that effect. Some people seem to like to talk about the Ivies collectively, but their programs are as distinct as any others.

Mar 7, 06 11:02 am  · 
 · 
bdonn

I have visited a few of the Ivies outside of open-house events and I was surprised to discover how down to earth and cool a lot of the students were.

That being said, I am sure there are some real pricks at some of these schools, but that's life.

Mar 7, 06 11:16 am  · 
 · 
musicman

Thanks dblefere, congrats on yours too.

mine was for the 2 year MArch AP program at IIT.

I'm just happy to hear good news first. I'm breathing a lot easier these days.

Mar 7, 06 11:17 am  · 
 · 
musicman

amanning,

What a stinking, steaming, low-down dirty trick....

Mar 7, 06 11:24 am  · 
 · 
jumpy

Just kinda curious to those of you that have recieved calls. Was there any conversation involved or just a quick notice of acceptance. Any personal discussion about why you were selected? Kinda bored right now

Mar 7, 06 11:55 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i'm having dreams every night about acceptances/rejections...

make it stop! all i need is one acceptance to make life easier.

Mar 7, 06 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
strugs

Yeah -- I'm also curious about the phone convo -- I can be terribly awkward when I'm nervous/excited -- I wonder if a Dean would be like, "Woah, on second thought there..."

I'm just not answering any calls from people I don't know...

Mar 7, 06 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
artcrimes

Are they calling home phone numbers? cell numbers?

I dont even remember if we had to put our cell numbers or phone numbers on the app. I dont even remember what I wrote now. Goddamn it!

Mar 7, 06 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
jumpy

-Strugs

I kinda tend to get a little nervous/excited as well which is why I asked. My current University has called me twice this week which has gotten my hopes up since the caller ID reads private

Mar 7, 06 12:49 pm  · 
 · 

i got a phone call from parsons. i think it was an assistant dean. i wrote down his name but i lost the piece of paper.

it was definitely an akward conversation, given that i wasn't expecting a phone call, and it was saturday afternoon, and i was on vacation. but it was a 212 number and i have family in new york and my cell phone doesn't show names, so i just answered it.

anyway, the guy was like, "congratulations we'd like to accept you, etc. and then he went on to tell me when the open house was, that i'd be receiving information and a packet in the mail. he also mentioned the number of applicants to the program and the quality of my application package as related to details about the scholarship i'd been offered. that part of the converstaion felt like a total sell. as in, it seemed like he was trying to sell me on the school and the program by stroking my ego.

but it was mostly him talking, me listening and saying "uh huh" a lot. i felt like i should have had some questions to ask but i couldn't think of anything so i just said thanks a few times and hung up when he'd said all he needed to say.

Mar 7, 06 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

deep cleansing breathes everyone. there are approximately 24 more days of this.

Mar 7, 06 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

congrats to everyone that just got more acceptances!

Mar 7, 06 2:04 pm  · 
 · 

oh also it was my cell phone. but i have no idea where other schools will call / send mail. i definitely put my parents address and tel# on a few applications b/c after may i won't be living where i'm living now and i didn't want mail to get lost. i hope they're not calling my parent's house. that would be so awful and weird.

Mar 7, 06 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
Emerson123

Congratulations to everyone that has heard from their schools with good news, but this is torture!

I can't stop reading this thread, even though several months ago I made a promise to myself that I would not log onto Archinect starting March until I heard from all my schools.

I even drove around my neighborhood on Saturday looking for the mail truck! It is pathetic, I have no control!!!

Mar 7, 06 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

I have been checking my mail twice a day even when I receive something the first time, just in case the mailman forgot a letter and decided to come back.

Mar 7, 06 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
boooyaka

If I recieve a call from the GSD then I plan to scream as long and loud as I can... kind of like tom green and whenever I finish and the man/woman begins to speak I will start screaming with jout again.... then to make it extra special I am going to turn on my stereo in the background and start sining and dancing.... saying things like - if you could only see me now.

And then.... to be really annoying I would start telling him or her mty life story. I think we should not even give them a chance to speak!

What fun!

Of course now I am going to go off into the corner and cry, because I probably won't ever get the opprotunity to annoy any dean ect. by phone.

MUSICMAN - are you a musicman or musicwoman? ... :) thanks for the word of encouragement... you know misery loves company!

Mar 7, 06 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
artcrimes

...i think there is going to be an akward moment of silence, and then they will hear me throw up non-stop.....

Mar 7, 06 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
boooyaka

IS IT APRIL YET???????

Mar 7, 06 2:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: