Archinect
anchor

accepted to grad schools yet?

wood_

has anyone heard from cornell as far as the online status?

Feb 22, 06 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
meta

what are the possibilities for an International student getting some scholarships, tution waives etc in an ivy school. i`ve been getting finanical aid forms from the schools but i`m not sure if i could send them before the deadlines. think my forms would be accepted if there is a slight delay?

Feb 23, 06 9:50 am  · 
 · 

i got an email yesterday from UW seattle telling me they'd received my fafsa stuff. should i call the rest of the schools to see if they got my fafsa too??

Feb 23, 06 9:53 am  · 
 · 
jhooper

Just curious, I'm a student in Cincinnati's undergrad and was curious what the general opinion of their grad school is. I blasted w/ plenty of propoganda where I am, just wanted to see what the outside world thought.

Feb 23, 06 11:33 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

jhooper>

You'll find a lot of UC people on here, myself and "SuperBeatledud" included. We represent several different stages of alumni and current students, and we have many opinions. Try doing a search for Cincinnati related items. Even better, look at one of the DI ranking threads. Pull up a chair and pop some popcorn while you're at it.....

Feb 23, 06 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
jhooper

wonderK,
Thanks, looks like it's about what I expected, the coop contraversy strikes again.

Feb 23, 06 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

sigh... the waiting game continues... i had like an anxiety attack last night after realizing i didn't know what i'd do if i didn't get in anywhere.

Feb 23, 06 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

(and crap. wonderk is up in posts on me)

Feb 23, 06 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

ACFA, you need to get your head in the game! I posted when I was on vacation! With a hangover! That's called committment!

:oP

Feb 23, 06 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
iterati

In another post someone said they heard back (rejection) from Parson's...Any other news on the topic of debt management...I...I mean grad schools. What'd I say, nipple?

d

Feb 27, 06 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

a friend and former classmate just got into UVA today (2/27)

Feb 28, 06 2:10 am  · 
 · 

i'm usually really good about not thinking about when i'll hear back from schools, and if its out of sight out of mind i'm usually calm and collected.

then this weekend i got a TON of pressure from my boyfriend's parents who happen to live really close to us right now.

bf's dad: so, 8888, you'll just go to MIT or Harvard, right?

8888: well, we'll have to first see where I get in.

bf's dad: well if you got into MIT or Harvard, you'd go, right?

8888: i think we're going to have to cross that bridge when we come to it

bf's dad: well who wouldn't want to go to Harvard?

(note: i don't really want to go to Harvard. I applied there only b/c I live in boston right now and part of me feels like I should try and stay here for the sake of maintaining my boyfriend's current life in its entirety.)

then i had a JD (from scrubs) style daydream where i gave him a piece of my mind, told him to shove it and stop asking me, and took his glasses off his face and stepped on them.

but really i just smiled and said it would be great to get into any of the schools that I applied to.

Feb 28, 06 7:43 am  · 
 · 

ok so after reading the other thread about parsons, i checked my mail this morning (bc i havent checked it since last week) and i had a letter from parsons financial aid telling me i was eligible for one scholarship and different financial aid packages, all with specific dollar amounts.

but i haven't heard anything at all from the graduate arch dept.

it would be cruel to reject someone AFTER sending them a financial aid acceptance, right?

what does this all mean??

Feb 28, 06 8:01 am  · 
 · 
jumpy

8888-
I know how you feel. My fiance's parents ask me everytime I see them (which is once a week.) I have repeatedly told them that I won't know until March or April but they started askjng back in January. They always want to know if we'll move or if were going to come back. Well I don't want to come back if i leave, I don't want to live anywhere near them if possible. Oh well.
I've been pretty relaxed and don't think to much about it but others are always inquiring.

Feb 28, 06 9:08 am  · 
 · 

i just called parsons. apparently their mail system is screwed up.
i got in! one acceptance!
no official letter but the guy on the phone laughed at me for doubting that a letter of financial aid award would possibly indicate a rejection.

Feb 28, 06 9:28 am  · 
 · 
laxchc11

Believe me, its even worse when you work at a large firm.... I counted being asked where I was going to grad school 10 times in one day. By the end of January I was fighting the urge to scream at anyone who asked. Its strange though, once I got in and could actually answer that question people stopped asking. Makes sense.

Oh, and UVA mailed their acceptances? Guess i didnt get in then. Oh well, one more reason to take up A&M on their offer.

Question though: When i visited A&M the program head mentioned that they offer in state tuition for all their MArch students regardless of where they are from...however, the acceptance letter mentioned nothing of the sort. Im betting on that verbal promise, but I need a tactful way to ask of its validity. Any suggestions?

Feb 28, 06 9:38 am  · 
 · 

hah that sounds familiar,

except for me it was the mother-in-law asking credulously whether i really thought i could get into the top school in japan AND get a full scholarship and stipend...me, a foreigner? how could that be possible (mum in law is japanese and incredulous that her gov would spend money on my education) ? and why not got back to london and do that archi-tecty design-y thing you were doing there? is there something wrong with you that you want to get a phd at your age? don't you know that no one over 30 is even supposed to be THINKING about school?

my answer was always that it didn't hurt to try...which i did.

when i was accepted almost a year ( ! ) later they were wondering why i was thinking twice about going back to school (in the meantime i had started my own business and found that i liked it...); would you REALLY give up a position in the top school in japan? give up a full scholarship and a stipend, in favor of WORKING for yourself doing that archi-tect-y thing? are you crazy?

as it happens i took the position, and continue to work PT, but DAMN it is amazing how little one's friends and family can know about the process and still feel obliged to comment....as if such things aren't hard enough already...

but it sure was funny.

8888, i know 2 people who turned down harvard for other schools. ain't so strange...

Feb 28, 06 9:42 am  · 
 · 
Elimelech

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Feb 28, 06 11:57 am  · 
 · 
walter_

congratulations, 8888.

i am a year from grad school but wondering about parsons - the professors are fantastic, but i dont know much about the program, curriculum, etc. any opinions/info as to where the program is/where it is going?

Feb 28, 06 12:04 pm  · 
 · 

thanks melquiades.
i didn't get an official letter, but they said that they'd received a few phone calls from people who got their financial aid packages before the acceptance letters.
so if anyone else got a financial aid package from parsons without first receiving an acceptance, don't sweat it.
just call them and they might laugh at you too.

Feb 28, 06 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

every acceptance other than mine is increasing my anxiety x10

though i applied to neither parsons nor UVA. (note the adept use of neither/nor, at least i can write a sentence)

and congrats 8888. i think you should accept at Parsons and tell MIT and Harvard you are rescinding your application....

no? it was worth a shot...

Feb 28, 06 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

superglue, Cornell will either email you or call you directly if you are accepted. You should be able to check your application status online but it will be another couple of weeks before they decide as they have just started narrowing down the field for the M.Arch programs

Feb 28, 06 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

oh and you will also recieve a packet in the mail shortly after

Feb 28, 06 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
boooyaka

I am happy for all that get in as long as they don't take my spot!

Congrates 88888... Parsons would be great. I thought about applying there and now wish that I did so that I would have one notification under my belt.

Is anyone else in financial ruins because of all the costs associated to applying? I have easily spent over 1500 on my applications/FAFSA!!!!

Yikes!

Feb 28, 06 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
strugs

(Hey all -- I'm a total newbie here, but have really found the comments/blogs on this site to be really helpful during the application process...I was clueless until I found this site...)

anyway...8888 - congrats on Parsons -- I am curious, what exactly did they say at Parsons? I am in the same situation (just got the fin. aid letter, nothing else) -- did the fin. aid office accidentally mail their letters out early? and does that def. indicate acceptance? I'm curious b/c I won't get a chance to call them today.

Also, doesn't seem like Parsons is moving a bit quickly? Their deadlines just recently passed....and their fin. aid deadlines were even later...

Feb 28, 06 2:07 pm  · 
 · 

they said that they'd received a number of phone calls asking about the same thing: a completed financial aid package without an official letter of acceptance.
they were not allowed to tell me for sure over the phone, but they basically indicated that financial aid would not have put together a package nor offered scholarships or loans to people who were rejected. duh.
they said to sit tight and wait a few more days for the official letter. there was obvious confusion and non-communication between the financial aid office and the architecture department.

Feb 28, 06 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
jumpy

Hey, I just got an email acceptance to Ohio State, Kind of a relief that I've got in to at least one school. My fiance should be happy thats where she wants to go. Anyone else applied at OSU? Any thoughts?

Feb 28, 06 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
Elimelech

jumpy,
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Feb 28, 06 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
jumpy

Thanks Melquiades, now I can relax a little bit. How important is it to attend the open houses. I know they put their best face on for these things.

Feb 28, 06 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
two-headed boy

good work jumpy. I also recieved the OSU email. I dont think I can attend the open house though. I hope someone out there has some good insite into OSU for us. anyone? I also had a phone interview with CCA and was notified at the end of the call. Anyone else experience this?

Feb 28, 06 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
jwo

jumpy and two-headed boy-

i also got the email and call from osu. unfortunately, they want me to go for 3 years even though i will have a 4+2 degree from another school. at first i was kind of upset about this, but the more i think about it the more i realize that i've got a lot to learn... i really like what they have to offer, i am just not sure about the 3 year thing.

which programs were you accepted to? i dont think i'm going to be able to go to the open house either, i would have to miss school.

Feb 28, 06 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
jumpy

Congrats two-headed boy and jwo

I'm going for the one year masters, I would also like some insight, people don't seem to discuss OSU to much on here.

Feb 28, 06 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

ive decided to take a year off and work between undergrad and grad school... and yes i am actually gonna do it fools, yo just wait and see.

thats not the reason im posting

finally there is an archinecter referencing as beautiful a song as i do

two-headed boy
theres no reason to grieve
the world that you need is wrapped in gold silver sleeves
left beneath christmas trees in the snow
so i will take you and leave you alone
whatching spirals of white softly flow
over your eyelids and all you did
is wait untill the point when you let go

Feb 28, 06 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
Gravitas

hazzaa!

Feb 28, 06 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
two-headed boy

geez, I feel so naked now...as if someone had exposed my real name or something...and through the music he sweetly displays...

Feb 28, 06 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

lletdowl, i took two. best thing i ever did. Not saying it was easy, but that time to reflect and understand what exactly you want from grad school is priceless (damn you mastercard for making that word cliche).

Feb 28, 06 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
guiggster

Just got accepted to Univ. of Washington. They nicely called my house...in America. Then I had to get the acceptance by email after calling back a few times and finally leaving my email address. I was sure they were going to tell me they were missing a recommendation letter or something.

Feb 28, 06 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
bdonn

A friend of mine got accepted to the University of British Columbia for Landscape Architecture.

Feb 28, 06 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
iterati

Does anyone think that some of these schools are issuing early acceptances to lure the better people away from other programs by forcing a hasty decision? Sounds pretty sneaky, but I'm in a very pessimistic mood as of recent, and it is just something that occured to me. I'm also waiting to hear back from my 4 schools, so needless to say, I'm a little on edge recently.

On that note...anyone heard any rumblings from Columbia, UPenn, IIT or UCLA?

Feb 28, 06 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i've gotten nothing from Columbia or UCLA other than confirmations

Feb 28, 06 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
meta

I`m still waiting for a Yale confirmation. Has anyone got it?

Mar 1, 06 12:10 am  · 
 · 
vman

Yale does not send a confirmation. They only notify you if something is missing. Berkeley does the same.

Then again, if your entire application is missing, you would probably not receive notification either.

go figure...

Mar 1, 06 12:42 am  · 
 · 
orEqual

I haven't received anything official from Yale, but all of the schools to which I applied sent back my awesome self-addressed, stamped "Greetings from Texas!" postcards in early January. For the schools requiring checks, I also had the joy of seeing their deposit clear.

Aside from that oddly-timed financial aid application note from Penn, I haven't received anything else.

Mar 1, 06 12:55 am  · 
 · 
meta

thanks vman.

orequal- you should check your online application status at penn design.

Mar 1, 06 1:11 am  · 
 · 
boooyaka

I have heard nothing from columbia or ucla... but the columbia deadline was only a week or so ago so hold your horses A Center For Ants!

Ants - Where are you currently living and why did you choose UCLA and Columbia?

Mar 1, 06 9:38 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

UCLA is less of an ideological alignment and more of a financial alternative as i get in-state tuition (live in LA).

$8k / year vs. $40k.

and i like columbia's program. seems like it's been consistently strong. i'm diggin' their approaches in theory and the visiting faculty is great. oh... and i'm sorta an ivy league snob.

Mar 1, 06 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
jumpy

Did anyone else recently recieve an email from UCLA saying that your application was complete? Seems a little late to just now recieve this?

Mar 1, 06 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
vman

I received the "application completeness" email from UCLA on Feb. 16th.

Mar 1, 06 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
salparadi

ucla: feb 13th.

patience...

refresh, refresh, refresh.

Mar 1, 06 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
bdonn

dblefere: I certainly think that is a possibility. Schools know when they are at a disadvantage.

I'm waiting on: Harvard, Columbia, Yale, UPenn, UBC and UofT

Mar 1, 06 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: