Archinect
anchor

It's illegal to "e-annoy"

art tech geek

This is the new trampoline on the 1st amendment. Courtesy of cnet

It's illegal to annoy

A new federal law states that when you annoy someone on the Internet, you must disclose your identity. Here's the relevant language.

"Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person...who receives the communications...shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

Create an e-annoyance >> go to jail!

& I was just starting to have some real fun with smtp mail forwarding. ;-(

Jan 9, 06 12:07 pm
Queen of England

I was wondering what happened to Per Corell... it would really suck to be in a jail cell with that guy.

I bet the feds specifically made this law for Per.

Jan 9, 06 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Unfortunately, the law could also be used against those of us who flame Per and people like him.

Brave New Worldâ„¢, here we come.

Jan 9, 06 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

nothin' annoyin' bout us...

Jan 9, 06 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
inkwray

this changes everything

Jan 9, 06 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
sunburntkamel

the law actually doens't make flaming, trolling, or whathaveyou illegal, just doing it anonymously.

if your username is your real name, annoy away.

it's questionable whether the first amendment was really meant to protect anonymous intercontinental flamewars. but it might be a slippery slope. i'll let constitutional lawyers decide that one for me.

Jan 27, 06 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

how about those damn faxes....from Investor...whatever...wanting you to invest in ya..ya...poop. Wish I could squash them like a bug.

Jan 27, 06 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

ya ya poop is making out to be the stock to be had this year.

Jan 27, 06 6:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: