Jan 9, 06 3:37 am  · 
 · 
Emerson123

"My Portfolio: Look in the back, I slipped you a twenty!"

Jan 9, 06 6:50 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

"101 KAMASUTRA POSITIONS FOR WOMEN"*

(*FREE WITH THIS ISSUE ,PHONE NOS OF MODELS FOR HOME DEMO INCLUDED)

Jan 9, 06 7:14 am  · 
 · 
thenewold

I'm making my second big one now and it's interesting to realize that one of the biggest mistakes I made in the first one was to try really hard to 'explain' the work and explain myself. I've seen way too many grad school folios in particular that suffer from this and it results in pages 20% filled with text and 40% filled with 5 tiny diagrams of nearly the exact same thing.

In spite of someone's protestations otherwise, portfolios are only about showing someone the quality and breadth of your work in a very quick format to be judged on the subjective scale of goodness. I think that's all well and proper, it's just too bad people try to treat their portfolios like boards for a review at school.

Jan 9, 06 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

Thenewold -- I'd agree...keep it visual. No one wants to read, they want to SEE. Believe me -- you'll have the opportunity to verbally explain your work if and when they are interested.

The most successful portfolio I've done contained ZERO text -- no titles, no labels, no dates, no text...

No 'splaining, Lucy.

Jan 9, 06 12:31 pm  · 
 · 

"documentus" <- but that's mine and it is pretentious :-)

how about works and the year, just remember the kiss "keep it simple stupid"

Jan 9, 06 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

all you non spanish speakers can call yours 'obra' to be extra pretentious

Jan 10, 06 11:43 am  · 
 · 
bigness

mine had no title, just a nice golden burton snowboards (the arrow twisted into a B) logo on the front, to remind me there are other, more fun, rewarding, and healthy yhings to do than slaving for someone.

i left it for a few days in the wrong room, and it's now in some dump somewhere...

the next one will be called

"this one kicks more ass than the last one"
subtitle
"i pwn u noob"

www.purepwnage.com

Jan 10, 06 11:51 am  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

"imitations of hadid and greg lynn"

Jan 10, 06 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

the title to my portfolio is this

"the projects me lletdownl l. lletdowningtonl lll, which are taken from a couple years of time i have spent doing things of certain types... in space.... not really"

Jan 10, 06 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

'if god were an architect, his work would look something like this'

Jan 10, 06 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

"architectus secundus deus"

-vitruvius

Jan 10, 06 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
waxwings

))<<>>((

Jan 11, 06 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly
"unbuildable works, I'm really just a good graphic artist/3d renderer"

Laughed REAL hard at this. Thats would be the perfect title for NewOld's Folio!

kidding duder.
Jan 12, 06 1:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: