Archinect
anchor

pat robertson does it again

swisscardlite

he did it again today, saying stupid things on television. he makes me very mad. what pat robertson said today absolutely does not represent the christian community and i would say only a very small minority watches his show.

he should be fired because he paints such a bad image on christians.

Jan 5, 06 7:51 pm
adso

From Salon.com
"Robertson: Sharon asked for it

On today's "700 Club," Pat Robertson explained away Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's recent stroke as divine intervention. "I am sad to see him in this condition," Robertson intoned, but he went on to suggest that Sharon's fate -- as well as that of Yitzhak Rabin, the prime minister assassinated in 1995 after attending a rally to support the Oslo peace process -- reflected God's disapproval of both men's attempts at creating peace in the region by forming a "divided land.""

Jan 5, 06 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Jan 5, 06 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
LaTorpilleRose

For someone "of God," Pat Robertson sure is a son-of-a-bitch.

Jan 5, 06 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

Robertson is an idiot, a liar, a sensationalist and so unchristian that it would be laughable if he didn't have so many followers.

I just thought this quote that I heard today was rather fitting...

"Believing there is no God means the suffering I've seen in my family, and indeed all the suffering in the world, isn't caused by an omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent force that isn't bothered to help or is just testing us, but rather something we all may be able to help others with in the future. No God means the possibility of less suffering in the future." -Penn Jillette

Jan 5, 06 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Jan 5, 06 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
LaTorpilleRose

So, as un-Christian as it is, I guess it's acceptable for me to go to bed and pray that Pat Robertson die in his sleep tonight, right? Or no?

Jan 5, 06 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Brilliant, La Torpille - I'll do the same.

Jan 5, 06 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

When the revolution starts, I hereby nominate Robertson to be the first one up against the wall.

I mean that in all Christian love, of course.

Jan 5, 06 10:51 pm  · 
 · 

If Robertson's god uses medical devices, like a stroke, in attempting to rid the world of "unrighteous" leaders, then which deity is responsible for that pretzel in George W's windpipe?

Jan 5, 06 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

It baffles me that so many Americans fail to take not even an intellectual or educated look at people like Robertson and religion, but a rational one. Simply by thinking rationally, no one can accept Robertson's beliefs or the beliefs of most Christian sects. I mean think about it, if there is a supreme, perfect being, he/she/it would be rational. It's just common sense, I think. Anyone care to agree/disagree? And if there's a supreme, perfect being, do you think he/she/it could give half a shit about some little strip of desert at the far end of the Mediterranean? where do these people get these ideas?

Jan 6, 06 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Very funny, 22. Maybe that pretzel was the work of Kali.

Jan 6, 06 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

I believe said supreme being would care about the people on that little strip of desert and find sad that so much killing is undertaken in said name, but care about some dirt... nah.

Jan 6, 06 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

I guess God must be cool with Chavez then because he seems healthy enough (and old Sadam is down-right spunky these days). Could it be that Pat’s God isn’t big enough to take care of his own dirty work and needs the CIA to step in and help him out from time to time?

Jan 6, 06 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

You're all goin' to hell.

Jan 6, 06 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Me first, Me first

Jan 6, 06 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

What if in the western creation story of the garden of eden the apple represented the fruits of wisdom, which is absurd to think knoweledge is man's downfall, but instead the forbidden fruit of religion over natural spirituality?

Jan 6, 06 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

that didnt come out right, screw it.

Jan 6, 06 6:16 pm  · 
 · 

pat gives john stewart sooo much to to talk about though, so he is at least helping out a few good folk.

seriously crazy. but i know people back home who believe pat is a good man and speaks directly to/for god, in spite of these recent bouts of craziness. there is unfortunately a good deal of hate and racism that goes along with the fundamentalist view of god in the us and canada...

i would like to believe it is a minority view, but i also wanted to believe only a minority of people actually believed a word of bush' clearly absurd rhetoric...

Jan 6, 06 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Hummmm.....I think Pat must have had a bad night before...maybe mrs Pat was sleeping with her panties on! Some things just drive a man crazy!

Jan 6, 06 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

evil platypus..

not sure what you were trying to say...but i think there's quite
a bit of knowledge that could be considered evil when gained..

the knowledge gained by adam and eve, to me, is similar to
what we experience as we age...the knowledge that we're not
perfect, how to be self-concious, that we'll eventually die...etc.
immediately after eating the fruit they realize that they're naked
etc.

with that said i am sad that mr. robertson, and so many other
preachers like him seem to take what christians consider the
word of god and use it, manipulate it, and translate it to make
statements that have nothing to do with what christianity is all
about...and speak as if god is saying it.

but this seems to happen with all religions...a pure religion is
manipulated by some to lead to their vision of what god wants..
ie. blowing up buses, buildings, the crusades etc.

Jan 6, 06 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

Wildly original, Frank Lloyd. Never mind that every high school sophomore in the country once defiantly presented the same argument to their hopelessly stupid parents, thus clearly proving their own intellectual superiority.

Jan 6, 06 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

when they said
repent
repent
i wonder what they meant

Jan 6, 06 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic, Rim Joist, so forgive me if you're not. but I never said I was trying to be original, just realistic and rational. an irrational god makes no sense, and the god of christianity is irrational. the Bible is full of god basically falling into his own traps. god wouldn't need his only begotten son to die on a cross to save mankind. he's fucking god. it makes no sense. I'm not saying there is no god and I am by no means saying I disagree with the fundamental humanist beliefs expoused by the person of Jesus, but in my view (and I'm not saying it's original, it's borrowed in large part from deism, which many of this country's founders followed) a supreme being would have to be rational and would not be concerned with the mundane happenings of insignificant beings such as humans.

and all I meant by god not caring about the Israeli land basically is that Pat Robertson et al make it sound like the Jewish people are entitled to this land over others, and that makes no sense.

Jan 6, 06 9:52 pm  · 
 · 

why should a god be rational?

none of the ancient gods were rational..come on, they had sex with/as animals all the time, ate their children/parents/siblings, etc etc.

nah, the idea that god is rational is a new enlightenment thing. i think the correct christian version is that god works according to his own logic, and if we can't understand it that is our fault...which is why pat robertson can say what he does and feel confident he is correct.

Jan 7, 06 12:16 am  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

Mike, I’m not a Christian or nothing but you ought to check out this French cat named Blaise Pascal. He like totally started this whole anti-humanism thing.

Wretchedness, dude, it’s our condition, not rationality. We don’t know what the fuck’s going on. God could be doing some whole other thing we can’t even comprehend. If there’s an absolute do you really think we have access? I mean think about it.

Jan 7, 06 12:25 am  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

God is a rational God. the thing is, not everything we think that's 'rational' is really rational. Christians believe that God's rationality works in ways we may not always understand. After all, we're imperfect.

pat robertson used his own 'rationality' (aka view/bias) to demonstrate his political stance

Jan 7, 06 12:32 am  · 
 · 
archoholic
Jan 7, 06 12:51 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

As Bokonon sings:

In the beginning, God created the earth, and he looked upon it in His cosmic loneliness.

And God said, "Let Us make living creatures out of mud, so the mud can see what We have done." And God created every living creature that now moveth, and one was man. Mud as man alone could speak. God leaned close as mud as man sat up, looked around, and spoke. Man blinked. "What is the purpose of all this?" he asked politely.

"Everything must have a purpose?" asked God.

"Certainly," said man.

"Then I leave it to you to think of one for all this," said God.

And He went away.

Jan 7, 06 2:18 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

I just can't accept that a supreme being would ever care for example about whether or not two men get married. I mean, how does that affect this supreme being or detract from him? It makes no sense. Religion has always existed as a means to justify or explain things. When I said that I think a supreme being would have to be rational, I didn't mean that a the historical idea of god is of a rational one. People don't follow the religions of the anciet Greeks and so on, because their beliefs, understandings of the world and moral principles are antiquated. I just wonder how long it will be before modern Christianity follows suit. I'm not sure yet, but the more I think about it, the more unlikely the existance of any god--let alone the Christian idea of god--is to me. I'm not trying to be deeply philosophical here, because I don't have the background for that. It's just what I think personally.

Jan 8, 06 12:49 am  · 
 · 
rsteath

The whole problem here is that the world doesn't see the love of God in Pat Robertson.

The man needs to careful before he speaks.

Jan 8, 06 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

"The man needs to careful before he speaks."

In general -- and after reading this thread with it's built-in ironies -- I'd say we might all heed that advice.

Jan 9, 06 10:07 am  · 
 · 
4arch

Modest Mouse does a pretty good job of summing up my thoughts:

...Well we sat on the edge of the river,
the crowd screamed, "Sacrifice the liver!"
If God takes life, he's an Indian giver.
So tell me now why, you'll tell me never.
Who would wanna be?
Who would wanna be such a control freak?
Well who would wanna be?

Well see what you wanna see. You should see it all.
Well take what you want from me. You deserve it all.
Nine times out of ten our hearts just get dissolved.
Well I want a better place or just a better way to fall.

But one time out of ten, everything is perfect for us all.
Well I want a better place or just a better way to fall.
Here we go!

If God controls the land and disease,
keeps a watchful eye on me,
If he's really so damn mighty,
my problem is I can't see,
well who would wanna be?
Well who would wanna be?
Who would wanna be such a control freak? ...

Jan 9, 06 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
norm

i love that the constitution allows someone like pat robertson to say anything he wants...and he chooses to say stupid things. and i love that there are people stupid enough to believe whatever he says and give him money to boot. america rocks.

Jan 9, 06 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
e909
maybe mrs Pat was sleeping with her panties on! Some things just drive a man crazy!

he was pissed because that was his night to wear her panties.

Jan 15, 06 5:07 am  · 
 · 
e909
"Let Us make living creatures out of mud, so the mud can see what We have done."
http://images.google.com/images?q=mud-people+%7C+mud-men
Jan 15, 06 5:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: