Archinect
anchor

Bunkers and Architecture

headburner

Hello,

Is there a site with info regarding bunkers and architecture? I'm working on a research and need to find articles and photos.

Cheers

Dec 26, 05 6:20 am
gasper

forgive me if i'm wrong, but i'm fairly certain paul virilio made an extensive survey of bunkers in france early in his career... try searching him out online or in your library. good luck!

Dec 26, 05 8:55 am  · 
 · 
Geoff Manaugh

Try this, too: Subterranean bunker-cities, which has some links, both in the text and in the comments at the end. Also try Subterranea Britannica, and just click around. Loads of images there. British Cold War bunkers, etc.

And it's not quite what you're looking for, but... this has some cool underground shots.

Dec 28, 05 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
Geoff Manaugh

Try this, too: Subterranean bunker-cities, which has some links, both in the text and in the comments at the end. Also try Subterranea Britannica, and just click around. Loads of images there. British Cold War bunkers, etc.

And it's not quite what you're looking for, but... this has some cool underground shots.

· 
Geoff Manaugh

Oops... Sorry to post twice.

· 
headburner

Thanks both. The Virilio book is OOP and way too expensive if you find one. Not many texts on-line but I'll continue searching. Cheers.

Dec 29, 05 3:47 am  · 
 · 

look up Enver Hoxha, Albania's dictator of 40 years. He built something like 200,000 bunkers across his country, leading people to believe that they needed them to defend against invasions by the Soviet Union (or the Serbs, or us...total paranoia if you ask me)

Dec 30, 05 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

There's a woman who was (maybe still is) the director of the architecture program at Norwich (in Vermont) who has written extensively about bunkers in the US.

Dec 30, 05 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
French

headburner, you can still find a cheap edition of the book compiling the magazine Virilio has published in the sixties with Claude Parent "architecture principe", where he wrote articles on this topic, and where the bunker shaped church they designed in france is published.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/2910735087/qid=1136287243/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-6969971-9694442?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

Jan 3, 06 6:18 am  · 
 · 
headburner

Thanx all for the great info. Thumbs up!

Jan 7, 06 5:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: