Archinect
anchor

serious question after I spent the first semester

thexm

I am a M.arch 1 student and spent the first semester. It was chanllenging but at the same time whole interesting. now during the break, I really like to know and learn something about architects( their works, what architecture is.... seriously) by myself. Since I just started this architecture program, I like to look at some good architects' work and analyze them in my own ways - I think it's the best way for self studyt about architecture. - Please add some more if there are better ways.

Anyway, I am here to ask you guys about your favorite architects and why you like them(also why you like their certain projects etc..)

I think I like to see El Croquis for some architects and study them .
Is that good way??

Please help me out for this self study during the short break.
Thanks alot.

Dec 24, 05 4:26 pm
el jeffe

get out and see the city...enough with the books.

Dec 24, 05 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Sure, El Croquis are a good introduction. If I had one to pick, I would recommend the latest with Herzog and De Meuron. They are kicking some ass these days.

Where are you studying? What interests you? With 7 entries and 0 comments we would like to know more...

Dec 24, 05 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
matteo

In my opinion you can not analyze anyone if you don't have a solid base of history of architecture from old grece to international style.
It will give you the bases, the social to political to geographical knowledge you need to analyze a work done by anyone.

good starting books are:
A History of Western Architecture by David Watkin
Modern Architecture Since 1900 by William Curtis
Modern Architecture: A Critical History by Kenneth Frampton

after you know the bases El croquis, l'Arca, Domus, Casabella are goof arch magazine with good examples and good editorials.

Dec 25, 05 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

yeah, learn the basics first. You need to know where it all came from to appreciate what's out there now.

Dec 26, 05 9:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: