Archinect
anchor

happy medium?

tamago

i've been out of school since 2003 and have worked at two firms in LA. I enjoy working and feel fortunate that i'm doing what i love and sometimes really feel like i'm getting a free education (or getting paid to learn). that aside...it seems like finding a place where one can feel good about what they do and what they earn and where they're headed seems very difficult.
i've noticed that if you don't want to work crazy hours then you settle for the 'corporate' firms that give good benefits, reasonable hours, good pay, and other perks but are stuck to arguing about decorative pilaster colors.
if good design work is what you're looking for, it seems like a lot, but not all, places are slave drivers with the nerve to pay a professional with a degree $15-25 an hour with no benefits and long arduous hours.
should i just resign myself to the fact that a happy medium is rare and few and far between?

Dec 17, 05 1:27 am

except for the one's who run their own offices that seems to be about right according to my own experience and that of my friends...

there's gotta be a great office that has it all, somewhere, but i still haven't seen it. sorta depressing, ennit?

Dec 17, 05 8:35 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

as many have said here before, there is a huge variety of business models utilized by design firms ... our professional world does not boil down to two types of firms ... many firms work hard to provide the sort of balance you seek ... but, it's really, really hard to achieve

if you're not happy with what you have, don't settle ... keep your eyes and ears open ... put yourself in places where you can learn about how other firms in your area operate (participate on an aia committee or get involved in yaf, for example) ... if necessary, consider moving to a new community ...

but, also consider that there probably is not a perfect place, in the purest sense of that phrase ... every firm has it's weaknesses and it's problems ... firms are, after all, run by people (usually by architects) who don't really go into this profession to become managers ...

you may find it helpful to focus on what you consider the really important stuff and then don't sweat the other stuff ... getting most of what you want and need is much, much better that constantly harping about the crappy place you work because it isn't 100% perfect.

Dec 17, 05 11:32 am  · 
 · 
tamago

...good to know that at least it's not just me thinking that. i have definately thought about moving and also about changing jobs (yet again). i strongly believe that the two things people should never settle for are their careers and relationships...both require a lot of work but when it's found it's so worth it.

Dec 17, 05 1:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: