Archinect
anchor

SF/NY

stillframe

I'm going to New York and San Fran, does anyone have any suggestions for things to see there?

Dec 16, 05 4:31 am
MADianito

de Young Museum at SF
Folk Art Museum + MoMA (next door) , P.S.1 gallery @ queens, Guggenheim, the Brasserie by Diller + Scofidio under the Seagram building by Mies.... mmhhh what else??? lots of museums, i preffer the new contemporary art museum, mmhhh bookstores, etc...i dunno plenty to see + do at NY.... mayeb a local can give u more info...this is as far as my tired mind can think about right now....hang out at Brooklyn also when in NY...

Dec 16, 05 5:33 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Shopping:

-Hang out in Williamsburg, BK for your "hipster" experience - first stop on the "L" train - good shopping [555 soul, BK Indust., Beacon's Closet, other places]

-Go to Strand Books - at 13th and Bway

-Hang out in the LES for some great places to buy that pair of Dunks you've wanted - ALife Rivington's a good shop

-Check out the storefronts in SoHo - and dont forget about Lafayettete north of Broadway - Supreme Trading, GStar, Clientelle, 555 Soul, ect

-Century 21 at the WTC site

-Chinatown

-Little India

-go to Harlem

Small Projects:

-The Porterhouse by shop is nice - go see it at night at the meat packing district - the project's on 9th and 15th above a Wachovia Bank - the Chelsea Market is across the street with some undulating canopy as well

-All of LTL's projects [small coffee shop, a bakery and a sushi bar]

-The Rector Street Bridges are kinda cool as well.

-You could always go to the Statue of Liberty

-The new Norman Foster building? [ehhh gag]

-Do go to MoMa and the Folk Art museum, but get there EARLY because the line can be long.

Other than that, a few good LES / E. Village night spots:

-Happy Endings [heh]
-Rafifi's - kinda a dirty dance hipster bar
-Max Fish - Skater / Graffiti wangster joint
-Darkroom - dont try the drugs, a few girls od'd there not to long ago
-Opaline - another dance spot
-Blue and Gold - cheap cheap dive bar
-Welcome to the Johnson's - cheap cheap cheap dive bar, but dont go if it's raining, because it'll smell like piss

Spots in Williamsburg:
-Turkey's Nest
-Royal Oak
-Triple Crown
-Rosemary's Greenpoint Tavern [huge cups of budweiser]
-Union Pool
-Barcade
-Larry Lawrence
-Grand St. Press

Dec 16, 05 8:55 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

That was NY by the way...

Dec 16, 05 8:56 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Just go pick up the Vice guide to NY - it has a lot of good spots to go to...

go to www.flavorpill.com for weekly "to dos" and check out the www.villagevoice.com for everything else.

Dec 16, 05 8:58 am  · 
 · 
e

there are tons of threads on both of these cities and what to see. check em out.

Dec 16, 05 10:57 am  · 
 · 
stillframe

thanks for all the suggestions. will do.

Dec 16, 05 12:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: